Not the Former. The Ladder.

Rate my Team!

• Total voters
Not the Former. The Ladder.

Introduction

Hello there, Rate My Team raters! This is FistMittens. This is my first RMT, so just a fair warning. I rant. A lot. Also, so people know more about me, here's a summary of my actually interesting competitive Pokemon career.

I've been around since the days of Shoddy Battle, but just recently started taking part in the forum today. When I was younger, I used to take part in library tournaments, and earned a total of $220 in the 2 years I participated (Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of competitive players there.). Also, as a fun fact, I go to the same university as the well-known MTGXerxes, and have even battled him a couple times myself! Around August 2011, I took a break from Pokemon, then got back into it at around October 2012, by creating my first account on Pokemon Showdown, FistMittens. It started out as a joke with a couple friends, but I eventually decided to see well I could actually do.

About three weeks ago, I became voice on Showdown via the Voice Challenge, and got #10 (The CRE was, and still is, 1967, and Glicko2 is 2040 but I think I'm ranked #15 now, because other people battle. WLD is 86-14-0) on the ladder after 100 battles with this team. This is not only the first RMT I've ever done, but also the first LC team I have ever made in 5th gen (I usually do NU), so bear with me and my unfamiliarity to both the quality of my thread, and the LC metagame in general.

The Team

Mienfoo

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SDef / 76 Spd
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Payback

Mienfoo needs no explanation. It's used on 1/3 of all teams in LC, for good reason. It basically never dies, and it counters so much. In this team, I use Mienfoo as a bulkier pivot, and if need be, a bulky sweeper. Fake Out is obviously used for priority, and for finishing off weakened, faster opponents, including the ever-threatening Murkrow (as Fake Out's priority is higher than Murkrow's Prankster). Drain Punch is to maintain a decent amount of health throughout the battle along with Regenerator, and to beat many threats in the LC Metagame, even beating the ever-common DD Scraggy 1v1, assuming Mienfoo is in good health. U-turn is used for scouting, which comes in handy a lot with this team. Payback is used over Knock Off to deal much more damage to Misdreavus on the switch-in, which is normally a big threat, and other ghosts such as Frillish and Drifloon.​

Slowpoke

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 116 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

There were a three reasons I chose Slowpoke over Misdreavus for a wall and counter to Fighting types. Firstly, It has Regenerator, creating an effective Regenerator core with Mienfoo. Secondly, it has more reliable recovery via Slack Off and Regenerator, giving it more longevity than what Misdreavus has to offer. Thirdly, it can deal more damage to Fighting types with Psychic than Misdreavus.
The set itself is very standard, but fits in perfectly with the team. Thunder Wave is the biggest asset to this set. I have no scarfers on this team, so paralysis becomes incredibly useful for my slower, hard-hitting pokemon on my team. I chose Scald over Surf for the 30% burn chance, as I can't hit ground types like Drilbur and Sandshrew with Thunder Wave. Slack Off is obviously for recovery, and Psychic is for the plethora of Fighting types that Slowpoke will wall, most commonly Timburr and Mienfoo.​

Murkrow

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SDef / 188 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Roost

Murkrow is incredible. Before I put it on my team, I assumed it was already banned from LC, so I used Stunky. Now, we don't speak of Stunky anymore. I use SubRoost Murkrow for 3 reasons: Firstly, it forces switches all the time, hence why we use Substitute. Secondly, that 19 speed along with Prankster outruns everything it needs to, and ties with Misdreavus. Lastly, it hits hard, and when it's behind a sub, it usually seals the game against weakened or unprepared teams.
The set is very standard and very common, so I don't think I have to explain much about it. Sucker Punch and Brave Bird are used for hard-hitting STAB moves, and SubRoost is specifically to frustrate your opponent in the worst way you can, and possibly even get them to make foolish decisions in their rage, similarly to Vegeta against Perfect Cell.​

Chinchou

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 232 SAtk / 52 Def / 224 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Chinchou is so useful in LC, no matter what set you use. The Eviolite Offense set has really helped me get out of some of the worst situations I've come across. The three main reasons are: Firstly, It helps counter the counters to my team, such as Magnemite, Staryu, Hippopotas, Murkrow, and Larvesta. Secondly, Volt-Turn with Mienfoo proves to be really helpful. Thirdly, Heal Bell helps out a lot in the event of one of my Pokemon getting inflicted with status.
I use Hydro Pump over Surf because it hits everything hard, and enables it to OHKO Hippopotas after rocks, 68.75% of the time without. Volt Switch is for dual STAB, hitting Water and Flying types hard, and pulling off the aforementioned Volt-Turn technique. Hidden Power Grass is mainly used over Ice Beam to beat opposing Chinchou one on one, and for the surprise factor, as most Chinchou I've seen carry Ice Beam. Heal Bell, like mentioned before, gets rid of the status that my team hates. (Fun Fact: Four of my losses were because of freeze hacks on my cleric, Chinchou. None of my other Pokemon have been frozen, except for Chinchou.)​

Bronzor

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Atk / 68 Def / 4 SAtk / 148 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Bronzor is another common Pokemon in LC. This little frisbee contributes to checking half of the main threats I need to deal with. Many of these threats include Lileep, Sand Rush Drilbur and Sandshrew, Hippopotas, Snover, and some versions of Murkrow. However, preservation is key with Bronzor, as it has no reliable recovery, so it's vital to have it be used wisely.
Bronzor has your standard tank set. Stealth Rock is to set up rocks, and Toxic is to stall out the threats. Psychic is used over Earthquake because Psychic hits more threats and STAB. On top of that, I can also run Calm nature instead of the recommended Careful nature, enabling it to hit a little harder. Flash Cannon is used to put extra pressure on pokemon like Lileep, and to actually be able to touch Murkrow.​

Drilbur

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 212 Spd / 36 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- X-Scissor

Drilbur is here for two reasons: To spin away hazards that no pokemon likes, especially Murkrow, and to hit things. Hard. With Mold Breaker, Drilbur deals heavy damage to Pokemon like Bronzor and Misdreavus. On top of that, Drilbur reaches 17 speed, outspeeding the likes of Chinchou, Houndour, and Mienfoo.
Drilbur has Earthquake, because there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I use both X-Scissor and Rock Slide because I don't need Stealth Rock on it, and gives Drilbur more coverage. I use X-Scissor over Shadow Claw because with Mold Breaker, I can hit everything Shadow Claw hits with Earthquake and do almost as much. Then Rapid Spin is obviously used for hazard removing.​

Using the Team

Using this team involves prediction, which is my favorite part of Pokemon! There's no better feeling than catching your opponent off-guard, which this team does considerably well. Although every single set I'm using is a standard Smogon set, effective use grants the most success out of this team.
The main threat to this team is the very common Misdreavus. My main way of dealing with it is by hitting it on the switch-in with anything. Otherwise, it just turns into using Murkrow at the right time, but there's still the risk of Will-O-Wisp. Toxic stalling is another strategy I use for it, but if it reveals heal bell, I end up Toxicing it again, forcing it to Heal Bell again, and switch into Murkrow.
Another threat to this team is the slightly uncommon sandstall teams. Dealing with them can be pretty difficult, as I don't have Snover, or Magnemite to dispatch the steel types easily. My main course of action in the given scenario usually involves hardcore predicting and preserving my team long enough to take care the threats, which you can see in the linked video.

I couldn't find any matches from when I did the voice challenge, so I had a match on my alternate account to use. Granted, I played very sloppily in the first half, which was very costly, I did manage to turn the game around in the second half once I got used to their play style.

Link: http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/lc13890371

Conclusion
Thanks for reading! Feel free to use this team, although it is more recommended for the more prediction-loving experienced player. I appreciate the rate, thoughts, and opinions on my team, as it would be most helpful!​

Hi there!

This is a very nice team! ive got a few recommendations to improve it, which are:

With your mienfoo i recommend using Knock off insetad of Payback. Why? yes i know you put it there to hit Misdreavus and other ghost types, but As you may know Eviolite is the most commonly used item in LC, and without it pokemon are a lot easier to take down. I recommend using this Mienfoo set:
Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Level: 5
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Atk / 196 Def / 76 Spd
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Also for your drilburr, try Shadow claw instead of X scissor, to hit Ghost types like Missy for super effective damage.

With Chinchou, Recognize that Lileep will be the number switch in to that, and you cant touch it. HP grass wont do that much, especially if its in sand. For this maybe try Ice beam, otherwise, you will be forced to switch out.

With the rest of your pokemon, nothing much to be said, and this is a really nice team with good synergy, so good luck and take care!

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ABFloww, Drilbur has Mold Breaker so Earthquake already hits ghosts harder than super effective Shadow Claw and Drifloon is dealt with with Rock Slide.
Also, Hidden Power Grass is necessary on Chinchou as Chinchou is the only thing on the team that can actually switch into opposing Chinchou. Lileep walls Chinchou in the sand even if it has Ice Beam so keep HP Grass imo.

I do 100% agree with Knock Off though as Payback is only 50 Power on the switch in so it can't really KO them whilst the ghosts can just Wisp or in the case of Drifloon, use Acrobatics. Knock Off will make Misdreavus much easier to handle for your other members. This helps a lot as Nasty Plot Misdreavus is probably the most threatening Pokemon to your team.
You could run Timburr>Mienfoo to help with Missy as Timburr can absorb WoW thanks to guts and it can easily survive a +2 (It can even survive a +4) Shadow Ball and 2HKO back with Payback. If it's burned Payback is a OHKO. With Bulk Up it also works better as a Bulky late game sweeper. It can still check everything else that Mienfoo checks, still has priority with Mach Punch. The only issue is it's gotta rely on Drain Punch for recovery so it can't switch in and out as much throughout the match so it has its positives and negatives.

Hello FistMittens, I like your team. It took me a while to see something wrong, but I think You could a scarfer, somthing that hits al least 21 speed with the scarf. I think chinchou could be changed to scarf, with this set.

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
Level: 5
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Grass
- Ice beam

You can run hydro pump over surf, but missing sucks
This is a good team overall though, so good luck?

Hi nice looking bulky offense team here

Ok so this team looks pretty good, but I have noticed that your team really lacks a late game sweeper. Your team has the ability to wall pokemon with Bronzor, and Slowpoke while dishing out damage and spreading status and your team can apply offensive pressure with Chinchou, Murkrow, Mienfoo. Having these characteristics on your team why not use a sweeper that can run through the opponents team when it is weakened?

I propose a Bulk Up Timburr with max special defense and Payback it also helps you with Misdreavus who you mentioned was a big threat to your team, with Guts Misdreavus's Will-o-Wisp will do no good because it will make Timburrs attacks even stronger. Between Bronzor, Murkrow and Timburr you should have Misdreavus handeled pretty well now. Timburr can sweep by using Bulk Up to boost its attack and defense. Drain Punch provides you with a strong stab move and recovery, I already mentioned what Payback does and Mach Punch, provides you with priority that is actually quite strong after a Bulk Up, and it can pick of faster threats like Choice Scarf Snover. I suggest it over Mienfoo, since it won't wreck any synergy with your team since they have identical typing. You lose a pivot, but you still have Chinchou with Volt Switch to help you gain momentum.

Good luck with the team I hope I helped!

Set

Timburr @ Eviolite | Guts
Calm | 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Sp Def
Bulk Up | Drain Punch | Payback | Mach Punch

TL;DR
Mienfoo--->Timburr

~SPD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)