ORAS NU Not Normalspam

Hey. This is a team I've been having some success with on the ladder lately. I think it's relatively solid, but I'm not really qualified to judge that sort of thing, so here I am.

Lead/Revenge Kill
Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

I almost always lead with Jynx. Taunt lets her prevent most leads from setting up their hazards, and Protect preserves sash against Fake Out + Some sort of priority users like Kanga and Hariyama. Psyshock and Ice Beam are decently powerful attacks. Jynx usually manages to dent something before going down. If the other guy switches into something Jynx doesn't want to deal with, like AV Kecleon, she can switch and come in to annoy things later.

Janitor
Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Protect
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Standard Ursa. With max speed and Quick Feet, Ursa reaches 344 speed, which is enough to outspeed a lot of threats, and has the bulk to take a hit. Facade kills most things, and Earthquake and Crunch are there to kill things Facade won't.

Pivot
Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

Mesprit is meant to switch in on things it threatens and gain momentum with U-Turn/Healing Wish, but in my experience she's mostly just a meat shield. Psychic is a powerful stab, and Ice Beam is coverage. Healing Wish is very scary if she manages to use it before dying, but most of the time she doesn't. Considering running speed over health, or maybe specs.

Janitor/Breaker/Tank
Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spd
Careful Nature (+SpD, - SpA)
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Taunt

Pretty straightforward set. Mal comes in on something passive, spams Superpower, then surprises bulky poison types with his coverage. Taunt acts as a sort-of status shield, and let's Mal break through bulkmon with recovery that he'd lack the immediate power to deal with effectively (I want to say Quagsire, but Unaware Quagga can probably KO w/ a few EQs). I'd like to run more Atk, but Malamar's not fast enough for that to be an option. Sitrus Berry could work too.

Breaker/Revenge Kill
Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt

Tauros is fast and hurts things. LO Sheer Force + coverage ensures that nothing really wants to switch into T, unless they outspeed. I usually like having this guy come out to neuter threats that could be a problem for Ursa, since I find that Ursa works better as a sweeper due to bulk, and not having a miss chance on every other attack.

Tank/Revenge Kill
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Blanket check to the tier's special attackers, except he's not an especially good check. Fake Out + Bullet Punch deals with some glass cannon types. Knock off hits pretty hard, and is valuable against teams with eviolite mon. Close Combat is Yama's stab, and a good way to end something if the other team doesn't have any switch-ins left. I run Careful over Adamant because Yama's main draw is his ability to not die to powerful special attackers like everything else on the team.

Potential Problems:
Ludicolo and Rain in general: If Ludicolo comes in on something that can't kill it that turn and Rain Dances, my only option is to fodder someone and bring Yama to tank a hit and revenge, assuming he's healthy. I want to counter this, but I have no idea where to fit it in.

Swellow and Scarf Chatot: I haven't had to play against either of these guys, so I'm just guessing. Swellow outspeeds both Tauros And Ursa after a boost, and any set it runs that isn't some sort of gimmicky support will deal massive damage to anything on my team, since I have no normal resists like an idiot. Scarf Chatot is the same deal. If it's running Nasty Plot, not as scary, but with the element of surprise I'll probably lose a mon to +2 Boomburst.

Swords Dance + Sucker Punch: I haven't had to play against this either, but it could definitely screw me. The only mon willing to take SP at +2 are Hariyama and Malamar. They can both deal with the threat if they survive (assuming SP user is a dark type), but it's not unlikely that they're outsped, and get smashed with coverage instead.

Kecleon: I seem to run into this guy a lot. If I play carefully I can usually take him out without serious losses, but his bulk and ability to switch between a Normal/Fighting immunity and Psychic immunity at the drop of the hat is just so, so annoying.

(Listing out the threats like this, the team doesn't seem as solid as I thought, sorry)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)