Gen 4 Nostalgia Team centered around SD Lucario [ OU ]

Hello, my name is Quuton. I'm new here in this forum and this is my first RMT!
I have played shoddy a couple years ago and some other simulator if I remember correctly and just recently started playing HeartGold again. Hence I'm posting this Gen 4 HGSS RMT.
This team features two of my favourite Pokemon Lucario and Gengar. I like both of them visually and also their versatility in the meta-game. Those two are the core of the team.
As I intend to actually create this team on my HeartGold Version of the game, I will unfortunately not be able to use specific Hidden Powers and I'd like to use every item at most once.
That said, the overall strategy of this team will be lay down Stealth Rocks and force many switches to scout. And eventually when the enemy team is more or less worn down and potential counters have been eliminated, I want to reveal/switch-in the star of the team Lucario, set up a SD and that should conclude the game, optimally.
As I mentioned earlier, I have used this team (or a similar variant, which I cannot remember precisely anymore) in DPPHGSS before and either this team or its gen 5 version - adding basically only a Ferrothorn as its SR / Spiker - has peaked some 1500-1600 ELO ~rank 3 on the simulator that was around at the time.
I hope I can somehow remember the best version of this team and/or improve on it with your help! Thanks in advance and here are the details:

:sm/aerodactyl:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

As the strategy of this team revolves around forcing many switches and scouting the opponent, it is needless to say that a lead that reliably gets Stealth Rocks off is of utmost importance. The team doesnt have an immediate SR weakness itsself, yet Gengar would hate to lose precious HP without recovery
every time he switches in, as Gengar is meant to be the main "mid-game threat" of this team. Hence, Taunt is an important move here too.
After optimally successfully preventing enemy SR and setting up our own, Aerodayctly functions as a suicide lead.
Due to lack of bulk, after his Focus Sash is broken, I dont have much use for him anymore. So the goal is to deal as much damage as possible before fainting and then switch an appriopriate Pokemon in to maintain momentum.
In rare cases Vaporeon's Wish can make a pre-faint switch-out of Aerodactyl possible.

:sm/gengar:

Gengar @ Wide Lens
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Hypnosis

This is the main Special Attacker and mid-game threat of this team. It's purpose is to come in with momentum and pose a threat. It hits physical walls and enables this manly physical team to clean later on. Also can functions as a spin-blocker in some cases. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are standard. Substitute is meant to easy predictions and absorb status. Hypnosis is often a surprise and can often single-handedly win the game by putting the opposing win-condition to sleep. Spread is meant to max speed as damage-output isn't that important to this Gengar. Rather the threat of dealing a lot of damage is what makes it work.
I am unsure if maybe Destiny Bond or Pain Split may be better options in the last slot, or maybe even something completely different and a different item. Though I cannot see specific change that would improve the set. Suggestions are welcomed.

:sm/starmie:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin / Trick

ScarfStarmie is my "not-getting-sweeped"-insurance. It surprise-revengekills many almost all +1 (setupped or scarfed) threats and even some +2 ones. Most notably Dragons and Gyarados. Overall goal is to land a key suprise kill on the enemy win condition. Alternative purpose of this Starmie is to clean up late game in case I managed to wear the opponent down enough. Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice beam are self-explanatory on Starmie. I don't see a particular SR weakness of this team, but having a spinner is often just really nice, even if its scarfed and has to switch out right away, many Entry Hazard depending teams are countered by that. Another option would be Trick in order to stop some sweeps or cripple a wall, though I dont see a particular weakness to any wall. Suggestions?

:sm/scizor:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Super Power
- Pursuit

Ahh, the classic Choice-Band Scizor Set. It is just great. Most of you are probably very familiar with this Scizor. But I still wanna emphazise how important this Scizor is as a tank and a scouter. I can switch it into many Pokemon and attacks. Pursuit in the last slot to kill Gengar, which Lucario may have trouble with. Apart from that, not much can be said about this set. Idea is to revenge kill or at least dent the opponent to lay the foundation of an eventual Lucario-sweep.

:sm/vaporeon:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar

This Vaporeon is also mainly for scouting and insurance. It can switch into almost anything. It only hates to eat a Toxic. Often times I would just roar until I die on this Vaporeon for scouts and residual damage and abusing the fact that often a Pokemon that doesnt pose a threat to Vaporeon is being switched in. Spread is meant to max-out overall bulk. It can provide a much needed Wish to Gengar in many cases and roar Calm-minding threats away. I almost never see myself using Surf, maybe it is worth going for a different move here. Suggestions?

:sm/lucario:

Lucario @ Life-Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch

The main star of this team. Optimally, I dont wanna reveal that I run a Lucario until its too late for the opponent to notice. The goal would be that the game is over the moment I switch Lucario in. Main counter Gliscor can be dealt with Starmie, Gengar and Vaporeon. Gengar in himself counters this set and OHKO's with Focus Blast. Though Gengars arent safe to switch-in due to the threat of Crunch. Any Rotom form is quite a nuisance and Hydropumps / Heatwaves kill me, especially when im damaged by Life-Orb already. Most gen4-OU pokemon just die to +2 ExtremeSpeed though.

Weaknesses: I think Water and Fire Rotom versions case a lot of trouble. They are pretty bulky, pose a lot of threat and are hard for me to get rid of. Some unexpected ScarfGengars or ScarfTyranitars may be troublesome, especially if I lose my Gengar early somehow. Strategy-wise it is kinda hard to play if Gengar dies early.

I am thankful for any tips you can give, glaring weaknesses you can spot, suggestions to improve the offensive threat of this team etc.
Thanks again in advance!

A few things i have noticed sr lead metagross could get in the way of your sr prevention by bullet punching aerodactyl and will likely set up rocks on vapoureon and explode, so you might want to watch out for it.

Rotom as you mentioned really annoys your team, be careful with how you deal with it. A scarf variant needs to be choice locked and pursuit trapped and a not scarf variant seems to just beat you. I wouldn't run adamant luc if you are running crunch as max speed rotom outspeeds and can put an unexpected dent in lucario likely just KOing it especially if it has used CC.

So my suggestions either make Luc Jolly or replace crunch with bullet punch and make a few changes to make your team less rotom weak.

Hi Quuton! First of all nice RMT, It's been so enjoyable to read the story behind your team, so I'd gladly like to try to make it a bit better and help you.

So let's get started, I see many things that don't make a lot of sense to me, You chosed Aero as your lead cause you wanted to get your rocks up and prevent enemy SRs, then you don't need a spinner, to be honest Lucario offenses don't need a spinner a lot of times. Aero is your only mon weak to rocks and you are not weak to T Spikes so we could use better Starmie's slot. When you use Lucario there's one thing sure, you need a trapper (I don't count Scizor as one since it's checked by Rotom and vulnerable to Latias and Starmie in a switch) so you can get rid of Rotom, Gengar and Starmie with your trapper to help Luke to sweep. Vaporeon is also kinda useless here, it justs make your team considerably slower and gives your opp a chance to spin rocks without a punishment which kinda destroys your Luke's gameplan, also roar is kinda useless without spikes support, and you lack speed control.

Also talking about other weaknesses, Scarf Starmie isn't very reliable since is gonna get easily trapped and a Gyarados or a Dnite between many other threats are gonna sweep u, You're also weak as hell to rotom, zapdos and almost any electric move since you don't have a electric resist which is kinda unforgivable. You may miss another ground immunity and a way to check opposite Scizor, without getting deeper into threats we're gonna start to check the team.
There are many options to improve this team, like changing the lead to Heatran/Metagross/Flygon, adding a Gyarados... But I'm gonna choose the one that will end up resembling more to your original team so you feel comfortable with it.

Major Changes:

:Latias: >> :Starmie: Latias is the first addition I made to help against electric types, give you an additional ground immunity and replace your fighting resist. It also gives you speed control since I changed your scarfer and it will help you a lot against Swamper , Forretress and Scizor since Expert Belt isn't that common so many people won't scout any move.

:Tyranitar: >> :Vaporeon: Tyranitar will be a great addition for your team, since it apports the trap support Luke needs, I made Tar Scarf since this way you will get rid of Starmie and Rotom most of the times and you'll gain more speed control.

Minor Changes:

:Aerodactyl: As you mentioned above Aero isn't gonna last long in the game so you'll appreciate the extra damage + crit chance that Stone Edge has.

:Gengar: You were doubting a bit on which last move choose for Gengar, Wide Lens Gengar is a very creative set that i like to use, and I recommend you to try it with Will o Wisp since it's always cool to gain a burn against many mons Like Pert, Ttar, Scizor and Jirachi, WoW, + Latias' HP Fire make you less weak to Rachi. Disable + Sub could also be a great option.

:Lucario: I don't think you need Crunch with 2 pursuit users, so we could use Ice Punch or Bullet, I prefer Bullet since Mamos, Scarf Ttar and Gengar are more threatening than Dnite for your team.

I leave the import here and I hope you like the team, HF!
https://pokepast.es/97e818d76ff23ffc

And the replays of the first 2 games i played with the last version of the team to test it if you wanna see it in action.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1070168089
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1070177667

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)