SM UU No distance left to run - Cm Roar Suicune (peak #198 ladder)

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No distance left to run - Cm Roar Suicune w/ Tspikes

With our Sm UU journey finally coming to an end I thought, how cool it would be to contribute something to the community, especially with UU being one of the tiers a enjoyed the most this year, and what better way to give try and give back to the community and say my goodbye to Sm UU than sharing a team I built in the recent months. So without further ado, here is my team!

new smaller teM.png
(click the picture above for importable)
intro:
Ok so I wanted to pre-line this by saying this is not the greatest team I have built this gen, sure it peaked #198 on the UU ladder and I'm sure it could go higher in the hands of a better player, however areas of the team have consistency issues, some match-ups are extremely bad and main reason for this team being able to reach the point on the ladder that it did was how it well it can surprise and crap on other builds with some of the sets and mons chosen.

Process and Building process:
Ok sorry for all the faff, finally onto the main event, the team!
I started building this team when I was just getting back into UU, early september, me and my boys decided to join the UU ghosting tournament kindly hosted by scizorphobic and faded love, it was a spur of the moment thing and we quickly realised we collectively had practically zero solid UU teams, I now sought to solve this issue by building my own. We needed something strong, somewhat reliable and, importantly for me as the builder, something new and interesting because to be quite frank, fuck boring standard shit. That is where Suicune comes in.

Suicunesuicune.png
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind
Like I said, I wanted to do something interesting and original, and I think this Suicune set really is! If you opened the pokepaste or spoiler above you probably have some idea of what this set does, but let me explain it anyway. This Suicune is very similar to some of those used in ADV OU which is where much my inspiration came from, Roar suicune can be a huge threat to teams that use phasing pokemon themselves to deal with calm mind threats, if a teams only way to deal with a suicune that gets in safely is roar with empoleon, then half difficulty for cune to sweep is immediately removed from the equation as cune executes roar first, additionally if the best way of dealing with Cm cune is an opponents Cm lati then the only way lati has a chance of 1v1ing is by sacking every other pokemon first in order to circumvent roar, at which point another team member should have little issue with picking it off. Even elelctrium z lati has alot of difficulty beating this set. I have an example of a game vs elec z lati that i can put below.

Rest is here for recovery and importantly being able to beat toxic users, which can be really useful vs pokemon like hippo and empo that usually you must roar first to ensure they arent phazers themselves. Rest without sleep talk I know is an clunky one, but you only usually don't need to click it more than once or twice in a game and this limits your opponents ability to predict and abuse that situation with something that can actually hurt this set,especially as the moment you wake up you can phase any set up users that pose a threat.

Finally roar has great utility with cune being a very bulky water that can eat up hits in a pinch, if I am In a hot spot vs something on my opponents team cune can provide a bit of a safety net for the team vs those pokemon in the mid/late game

Scizorscizor.png
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Ok so the next pokemon was a quick and easy pick, I'm using something that will require positioning support and may benefit from the softening of certain checks, Scizor is easily the easiest choice. you all know standard banded sciz so i wont spend too long, but u-turn lures in alot of things cune can set up on such as gligar, hippo and defensive steels, additionally scizor and cune support each other with typing and synergy, with fire weakeness covered by cune and grass being resisted by scizor.
Lastly I opted for pursuit over knock because including anti stall techs is paramount right now.

Nidoqueennidoqueen.png
Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 72 SpD / 76 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

You may see a weakness forming already, so did I, the next pokemon claps that weakness on its head, nidoqueen destroys the electric types of the teir, blocking their volt switch and using them as opportunity to get off some reasonable damage with its impressive coverage or set up hazards, as you can see here i thought tspike seems incredible with a roar user, and a pursuiter for the more frail poisons and removers of the teir. It helps alot in fat matchups as it can make banded scizor very difficult to switch in on.

Bewearfilebewear-animepng-bewear-png-273_317.png
Bewear @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return / double edge
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Ok so the next thing i wanted the the team was a stall breaker, i wanted something fun and something that could take advantage of tspike since I had support around that, Bewear was a great fun and powerful pick, with swords dance normalium z and tspike up very little can really stop this big hug monster from destroying everything he gets his giant adorable paws on, thanks to ice punch coverage the only thing on stall that could take a return/ double edge into z with tspike up in gligar is also beaten down. I now felt comfortable to focus on finishing out the team without much worry of stall troubles.

bronzongbronzong.png
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

My bronzong set is basically a huge special blanket check, I'm looking for a catch all at this point for things like latias and lucario that would currently terrorise the team,I also needed stealth rocks to pressure the fire types that my physical attackers struggled with and to generally chip everything in aid of choice banded scizor, hp fire was a niche pick, the team felt a little weak on the scizor check side, at least with this bronzong can pressure defencive variants that may try and fog and stop offencive ones from setting up more than 1 sd when my other soft checks are worn and do not want in.

Hydreigonhydreigon.png
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / defog
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

The last pokemon on the team is hydreigon, I needed a revenge killer and something that can help pivot in on certain threats that lay previously uncovered such as crawdaunt and chandelure. You all know the drill, U-turn for momentum and bringing things in safely, can be very scary for opened up teams etc.

few things that are important, the team doesnt have a huge amount or reliance on defog so I usually opt for fire blast as an additional steel type soft check, due to a lack of spikes in the teir rn and the team usually wanting rocks up more than an opponent.

Major threats:
primarina can force a 50/50 even in the early game, i wont necessarily lose a mon every time as zong can eat up a pump and still check other stuff
hydreigon can also force similar a 50/50, depending on matchup i usually use different mons to pivot around and offer a HP trade to force hydra out until i have a winning situation
Cm lati we all know what it does even when i have pursuit and hydreigon
lucario with a the right +2 z move can muscle past nidoqueen or bronzong from full, it is imperative to keep both at least moderatly healthy to as to not lose if it is either fight z focus blast or steel z flash cannon.

I understand this is quite a comprehensive threat list but you have to remember this was my first build of the fall/autumn tour season and all these pokemon can be "outplayed" even if it is often clunky.

A fore mentioned replay vs Elec z lati:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-976062496
s/o m$til (idk his smogon tag) for being such a cool opponent)
Ignore how stupidly I play at the end I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed

peak:
Screenshot_20190930-134047_3.png

I was building an number of teams over a period of time, I was always solidly in the 1500s but while this is where i peaked, other teams did some of the work in the middle so take it with a pinch of salt.

Summary:
Certain Pokemon can force damage and 50/50s vs the team, i will list them as threats below, but in the most part, as one of my first try-hard builds for SM UU I am stoked with the results, and especially with how potent the suicune set proved to be. I hope maybe someone with more building skill and experience can make use of the time and effort that went into this team

Thanks to:
-All my readers - thats you!
-My ghosting tour buds AssessTheThreat Bostonl1 yzyszn3 for being legends
-UU room on main sever for helping keep my interest over these few months
-My UU majors opponents for being a great challenge and one of the drives for me to post this (s/o manectric pool you were all super chill)
-The ADV community discord for being so much fun to chill with and the inspiration on suicune.

And this:
I have a few more teams and techs I would love to share with the community, however there is a 1 RMT per 2 week limit and I am conscious we have SWSH on the horizon so if there are other way I can share my teams and findings with the community so you all can enjoy them to, please let me know and i will do my best to make time to share them to!

Please comment and like if you enjoyed reading this or have any success trying the team or sets yourself!
Many thanks
H3nz watermess

Hey watermess cool team you have around Suicune here. Roar Cune used to be fairly popular a while back and can definitely still have some merits as you've listed. There are a few things I think should be addressed about the current team, and then I'm going to get into the rate. As you have already mentioned, Hydreigon is a problem and when Bewear and CB Scizor are your best pivots into it then it's gonna be rough. Bronzong is a rather odd pick here as it seems primarily slapped on for SR and defeats a lot of purposes to even run CB Scizor.

Major Changes:

>
: As I mentioned above Bronzong felt like an odd pick here so I suggest running Diancie instead. Diancie gives you a lot of role compression here. It gives you that needed Fairy-type to take on Hydreigon and can still check CM Latias, which doesn't leave the matchup solely reliant on just CB Scizor removing it. Diancie gives you a Flying resist so this helps you better handle Moltres and Togekiss. Diancie also gives you Heal Bell support, which is appreciated seeing as this is Roar Suicune. Roar Cune gives up a lot of momentum by not running Sleep Talk so having a way to circumvent this is nice.

>
: I guess this change is rather optional, but I do think Infernape has benefits over Bewear. It makes you less vulnerable to faster threats like Mamoswine, Lucario etc. given the current nature of this team being slow outside of Scarf Hydreigon. I would also run a mixed Infernape here with Slack Off to more reliably take on Scizor + lure in the necessary threats. Thunder Punch + Iron Fist allows Infernape to lure in Pokemon like Primarina, Vincune, Tentacruel, and Mantine. Infernape is also a more reliable way to remove annoying Pokemon like Amoonguss, which you are otherwise solely reliant on Suicune to get rid of.

Minor Changes:

(Spread Change): To be frank, defensive Nidoqueen is very subpar imo. While this is your primary Fighting resist you have means of taking on the likes of Cobalion and Terrakion etc. through Suicune and Scizor respectively. All it will require is smarter play around them, but if you need to then you can resort back to this bulkier spread.

(Move Change): While not as necessary I would consider running Defog as hazard removal is still important. Against variants of HO who also don't care about hazards being up, having a way to remove Spikes etc. is appreciated.

(Optional): This isn't necessary but the Z-Move is free so you have the option to run Waterium Z on Suicune as a decently strong nuke. It also allows this Suicune to better pivot into stuff like Krookodile. Something else to note is that Roar isn't necessary on Suicune and you can just run Sleep Talk to be less passive given the offensive nature of this team. Given you built around Roar I'll leave this to your discretion.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like and consider trying out some of these changes. Overall, you built a good team for someone getting back into the tier and this version shouldn't play out too differently from your original. The stall matchup will still be fine between T-Spikes and Pursuit support with Suicune + Ape. Keep up the good work and I look forward to future teams you build ^_^

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey watermess cool team you have around Suicune here. Roar Cune used to be fairly popular a while back and can definitely still have some merits as you've listed. There are a few things I think should be addressed about the current team, and then I'm going to get into the rate. As you have already mentioned, Hydreigon is a problem and when Bewear and CB Scizor are your best pivots into it then it's gonna be rough. Bronzong is a rather odd pick here as it seems primarily slapped on for SR and defeats a lot of purposes to even run CB Scizor.

Major Changes:

>
: As I mentioned above Bronzong felt like an odd pick here so I suggest running Diancie instead. Diancie gives you a lot of role compression here. It gives you that needed Fairy-type to take on Hydreigon and can still check CM Latias, which doesn't leave the matchup solely reliant on just CB Scizor removing it. Diancie gives you a Flying resist so this helps you better handle Moltres and Togekiss. Diancie also gives you Heal Bell support, which is appreciated seeing as this is Roar Suicune. Roar Cune gives up a lot of momentum by not running Sleep Talk so having a way to circumvent this is nice.

>
: I guess this change is rather optional, but I do think Infernape has benefits over Bewear. It makes you less vulnerable to faster threats like Mamoswine, Lucario etc. given the current nature of this team being slow outside of Scarf Hydreigon. I would also run a mixed Infernape here with Slack Off to more reliably take on Scizor + lure in the necessary threats. Thunder Punch + Iron Fist allows Infernape to lure in Pokemon like Primarina, Vincune, Tentacruel, and Mantine. Infernape is also a more reliable way to remove annoying Pokemon like Amoonguss, which you are otherwise solely reliant on Suicune to get rid of.

Minor Changes:

(Spread Change): To be frank, defensive Nidoqueen is very subpar imo. While this is your primary Fighting resist you have means of taking on the likes of Cobalion and Terrakion etc. through Suicune and Scizor respectively. All it will require is smarter play around them, but if you need to then you can resort back to this bulkier spread.

(Move Change): While not as necessary I would consider running Defog as hazard removal is still important. Against variants of HO who also don't care about hazards being up, having a way to remove Spikes etc. is appreciated.

(Optional): This isn't necessary but the Z-Move is free so you have the option to run Waterium Z on Suicune as a decently strong nuke. It also allows this Suicune to better pivot into stuff like Krookodile. Something else to note is that Roar isn't necessary on Suicune and you can just run Sleep Talk to be less passive given the offensive nature of this team. Given you built around Roar I'll leave this to your discretion.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like and consider trying out some of these changes. Overall, you built a good team for someone getting back into the tier and this version shouldn't play out too differently from your original. The stall matchup will still be fine between T-Spikes and Pursuit support with Suicune + Ape. Keep up the good work and I look forward to future teams you build ^_^
Thank you so much for the informative rate, I can see alot of the things you said being extremely useful to try out on the team!
A highlight for me particularly was the mixed slack off ape, I love how much of a threat mixed ape can be to bulkier builds and and having slack off would really help lucario matchups (fight z focus blast kinda steamrolled before)

Can't wait to try out some of these things!
If you are interested in seeing some more of the teams I build for ghosting tour and UU majors then I would love to make another RMT if the staff allow it (I believe they said 1 every 2 weeks tho)

But either way, I'm hoping to build a bunch more in gen 8 (provided it isn't absolutely trash) so I'm sure I will post more teams in the future. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)