Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they really? I was under the impression that both were still a ways away, or at least Luigi's Mansion. So much for trying not to buy too many games this month...

On another topic, it seems like the Harmo-Knight demo was just released today. Or it's just now being advertised in the 3DS Shop and I never noticed it the other times I checked the Demos section, and nobody's mentioned it recently in the thread. Seems like a pretty fun game, although I didn't get any further than the first non-training level due to low batteries. Is is just me, or is there was a sudden spike in difficulty from the training levels to the first actual level? I had no problem getting a perfect in the training levels, but it seemed like I was missing more than half of the notes on my first pass on the stage after them.

I beat Mirror of Fate. The final battle was good, though I was expecting
The Toy Maker
to be a boss somewhere and he wasn't.

The final quicktime finish was rubbish, though, the one for the Demon Lord (where you don't even have to fight him) was much better, probably the best one.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I beat Mirror of Fate. The final battle was good, though I was expecting
The Toy Maker
to be a boss somewhere and he wasn't.

The final quicktime finish was rubbish, though, the one for the Demon Lord (where you don't even have to fight him) was much better, probably the best one.
Yeah... I just finished it with 100% completion. It was incredibly short (10 hours with 100%), so I don't really think it was worth $40. I have a feeling the Toy Maker might show up in a sequel. Overall, I liked the game, but I do miss the soul systems from the metroidvania DS games. This was a nice return to Castlevania's roots, though.

Yeah... I just finished it with 100% completion. It was incredibly short (10 hours with 100%), so I don't really think it was worth $40. I have a feeling the Toy Maker might show up in a sequel. Overall, I liked the game, but I do miss the soul systems from the metroidvania DS games. This was a nice return to Castlevania's roots, though.
I paid $70.

Welcome to Australia, the land of grey markets.

I would be way up for a remake of SotN, or a game in the SotN/Dawn of Sorrow/Aria of Sorrow vein in the new visual style, though.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok so I'm planning to buy a 3ds before X/Y come out in October. Is the price likely to drop anytime soon, or should I just go ahead and buy it as soon as possible? Also, how much backwards compatibility does it have with regards to DS and GBA games? Can you trade between a DS and 3DS game like BW and XY? Just curious to know before I buy. Thanks y'all!

jrp

Banned deucer.
Ok so I'm planning to buy a 3ds before X/Y come out in October. Is the price likely to drop anytime soon, or should I just go ahead and buy it as soon as possible? Also, how much backwards compatibility does it have with regards to DS and GBA games? Can you trade between a DS and 3DS game like BW and XY? Just curious to know before I buy. Thanks y'all!

The best you'll get is if your local retailer has a sale.
there's full backwards compatibility with DS games, but no compatibility with GBA games (as of now, there will likely be a VC in the future)

And you can wirelessly link a 3DS with a DS to trade, yes.

So I've heard about the supposed target sale of 3DS's this Sunday from some of my friends as well, but I was wondering if you can take the article for the sale to best buy and they will price-match the sale? I have gift cards for best buy, while none for target, and if I can use those on top of a sale now might be as good a time as any to finally get one

If you don't mind toting around a Pikachu with you, the limited edition Pikachu 3DS will be on sale in Target and Toys R Us for $159.99 and $149.99, respectively, for a short time after it's released (March 24th iirc). Otherwise a new 3DS is about $200 and I believe a 3DS XL is $250. You can buy used ones at Gamestop for slightly cheaper prices, if you're willing to put up with any minor problems they may have.

As for backwards compatibility, 3DS can play all DS games but cannot play GBA games (only the original DS and DS Lite can play GBA games).

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Not wanting to rain on your parade but I think you mixed up the prices (@MagicMaster87), 3DS bundles are pretty expensive and get around $200-$250, but after a recent search, Target sells the XL for around $200 and the normal 3DS for around $170 if you don't consider the current sale.

Not wanting to rain on your parade but I think you mixed up the prices (@MagicMaster87), 3DS bundles are pretty expensive and get around $200-$250, but after a recent search, Target sells the XL for around $200 and the normal 3DS for around $170 if you don't consider the current sale.

On March 24th-30th the Pikachu 3DS XL is expected to be $159.99 at Target with the regular 3DS dropping to $129.99.

Source

Correction: This includes the other colored XL's as well, so Waterbomb I'd recommend buying one next week if this does happen. Also don't forget if you purchase it alongside Luigi's Manion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3DS you can get a free game if you live in the U.S. Other countries have similar promotions. http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-xl-promo/

Whoops, yeah, I did mix up the normal 3DS/3DS XL prices with the bundle price. I was thinking of the Fire Emblem 3DS which was my most recent purchase.

The Target sale applies to other colors as well? Hmm, might have to make a trip next week after all...

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i'm in the middle of a lunatic run - trying to finish all the prologues and round up all the children i created, and it's really irritating.

the worst part is i'm abstaining from using tharja/nosferatu "just so it's not too easy," yet it almost seems impossible to finish some chapters without a lucky rng string of numbers, or immense pre-grinding so the level disparity doesn't even matter.

it's still a lot of fun, and i love the continuous DLC. will do lunatic+ as soon as i finish, even though i probably will enjoy that even less, haha.

Hey fishy and everyone else: you should reclass panne to wyvern rider asap. She's probably the second best character for the long run after avatar because of her ridiculous growths in str/skl/spd/def (75/65/70/50).

I'm currently on chapter 15 in lunatic + and honestly this game seems to have radiant dawn syndrome where the beginning is the hardest part on the high difficulties. Once you get past chapter 4 (i think) you unlock dlc, aka the only possible way to grind on the high difficulties (skirmishes will ruin you and street/spotpass give 1 exp per kill). Lunatic + even has special mechanics to block boss abuse for grinding, which lower the amount of experience you get from attacking the unarmed boss until it hits 0.

Once I finish L+, the only obstacle in my way is the brutal second-series dlc (not counting the set of fanservice maps that America may or may not get in their original form)

Spoiler alert: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is really fun

Currently only at B-3, there's a hell of a lot more game than the last one, and I really like the way the game is split into missions for more comfortable portable play. Scarescraper is pretty fun too, so long as you have people who are able to go with you all the way through it and don't keep spamming HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY like everyone (including me) has been doing, while it is hilarious.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Get Fire Emblem: Awakening imo. It has a TON, and when I say a TON I really do mean it, of re-playability. The countless combinations of classes, items, supports, etc all culminate into a game that has countless hours of playtime. Just ask the angry scientist. He says he's on, like, his 7th playthrough. It's that good of a game.

I'm not huge on replaying games as much but I have gone back to this game multiple times due to the sheer capacity of side-quests it holds (and most of the sidequests are just as, if not more enjoyable than the main storyline).

On a side note: I just bought myself a 3DS XL and got Dark Moon. AND I got my free copy of Professor Layton. :3

Now to find someone to sell my old 3DS to... x.x

So I've heard about the supposed target sale of 3DS's this Sunday from some of my friends as well, but I was wondering if you can take the article for the sale to best buy and they will price-match the sale? I have gift cards for best buy, while none for target, and if I can use those on top of a sale now might be as good a time as any to finally get one
Now that we know the sale is indeed happening, does anyone know the answer to this?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i picked up my 3DS for like $140 a few weeks ago; you might not be able to find that price very often at a retail store but it's easy from a classifieds site (eg kijiji where i got mine) and they've been available at around price ever since the 3DS's MSRP dropped. just look for the words "brand new in box" and make sure to meet the seller in person, and you should have no problems finding one at a good price

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Wait what? I thought they were like $170 each? Is it just the prices here, or have I been following the wrong stores? Just out of curiosity, when did the prices drop? Oops, but either way, that's excellent wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)