New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread - UU Edition

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Venomoth. It's an excellent lead, although there is no true "Lead" set on-site, this one is very similar to the current Toxic Spikes set. I've found it fares well against a large variety of UU leads:

Venomoth (Lead Toxic Spiker)
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed

Moveset:
1. Sleep Powder
2. Toxic Spikes
3. Bug Buzz
4. Protect

The idea is to sleep something, then set up Toxic Spikes. With the sash attached, as well as Protect, you are guaranteed at least one layer even against Fake Out leads, and two if you manage to put an opponent to sleep without being harmed (you're faster). It often survives the first few turns on 1HP, so if you have Spin support, Venomoth can also come back later with Sleep Powder and a strong unresisted Bug Buzz. Strategies against common leads are as follows:

Ambipom: Protect to block the Fake Out, then either Sleep Powder it, or go straight for the Bug Buzz on a predicted Taunt for an easy 2HKO.
Uxie: Sleep and set up TSpikes. Alternatively, Bug Buzz is a guaranteed 2HKO on 252/4 Uxie leads (95% factoring in Lefties).
Mesprit: Sleep and TSpikes. Many are scarfed, so don't risk using Bug Buzz or you will lose. Venomoth doesn't mind a tricked Scarf either.
Alakazam: Prediction war. Bug Buzz on the predicted Taunt to burn it's sash, then again for the 2HKO, surviving Zam's Psychic with your own sash.
Omastar: Sleep, then TSpikes.
Kabutops: Same.
Moltres: You're running absolute max speed for this reason. Worst case scenario is a speed tie; use Sleep Powder for the chance to eliminate this threat immediately. Your sash guarantees you another 37.5% chance on turn 2 if Sleep Powder missed/Air Slash flinched you the first turn.
Hippopotas: Just set up TSpikes immediately.
Electrode: Bug Buzz on the predicted Taunt for a guaranteed 2HKO, your sash may even remain intact.
Cloyster: Sleep Powder; although missing means you will be OHKO'd by Rock Blast.
Hariyama: Protect first turn to scout it's set: If it tried Fake Out and activated Flame/T.Orb, then use TSpikes as it attacks, protect the next turn to stall for passive damage, then TSpikes again as it finishes you. You get 2 layers, Hariyama sits at ~2/3 HP. If it attacked first turn, simply sleep it.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good late-game cleaner??

Gorebyss @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 32 HP/252 SpA/224 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Agility
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-HP Grass

Probably for someone who doesn't want to whore Rain Dance and wants to use Gorebyss as a stand-alone sweeper. Once counters and what not have been weakened, Gorebyss can come and clean up.

I've tried this Chansey set with some success:

Chansey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Subsitute / Toxic

What I usually do is throw in Chansey on some speial sweeper like Manetric, and as they switch I use Subsitute. When they attack with physical pokemon simply use counter, which will more than likely kill them due to Chansey's high health.

I dont know if this set is well known but it wasnt on the smogon pokemon analyses so i thought id post it.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
-Toxic
-Hail/Blizzard
-Substitute/protect
-Roost

Comments: This set is designed to be used on a hail stall team and so most of the time you wont really need a move slot for hail and so normally I use Blizzard. You then toxic your enemy and then Sub/protect and keep roosting. The other change you could have is have both protect and sub so you can stall for longer but blizzard gives you an attacking option.

Also Ice Beam > Blizzard. Blizzard shouldn't be used unless you are using a sweeper that needs the extra power to secure O/2HKOs.

Armaldo
Moveset Name: Lead
Move 1: Stealth Rock
Move 2: Rapid Spin
Move 3: Rock Blast
Move 4: X-Scissor
Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
Nature(s): Adamant/Impish
EVs: 252 hp, 6 atk, 252 def

Armaldo has great typing for a lead. Rock Blast OHKOs through Focus Sash on frail leads. X-Scissor does big damage to the common psychic leads. No common leads will OHKO Armaldo, granting you at least one turn to put down SR. Rapid Spin enables you to get rid of hazards and few people send ghosts in since this set is so uncommon. Omastar is its biggest counter. Fighting and Steel types resist the two attacks I listed, but they're uncommon as leads and do little damage through maxed out defense.

Venomoth. It's an excellent lead, although there is no true "Lead" set on-site, this one is very similar to the current Toxic Spikes set. I've found it fares well against a large variety of UU leads:

Venomoth (Lead Toxic Spiker)
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed

Moveset:
1. Sleep Powder
2. Toxic Spikes
3. Bug Buzz
4. Protect

The idea is to sleep something, then set up Toxic Spikes. With the sash attached, as well as Protect, you are guaranteed at least one layer even against Fake Out leads, and two if you manage to put an opponent to sleep without being harmed (you're faster). It often survives the first few turns on 1HP, so if you have Spin support, Venomoth can also come back later with Sleep Powder and a strong unresisted Bug Buzz. Strategies against common leads are as follows:

Ambipom: Protect to block the Fake Out, then either Sleep Powder it, or go straight for the Bug Buzz on a predicted Taunt for an easy 2HKO.
Uxie: Sleep and set up TSpikes. Alternatively, Bug Buzz is a guaranteed 2HKO on 252/4 Uxie leads (95% factoring in Lefties).
Mesprit: Sleep and TSpikes. Many are scarfed, so don't risk using Bug Buzz or you will lose. Venomoth doesn't mind a tricked Scarf either.
Alakazam: Prediction war. Bug Buzz on the predicted Taunt to burn it's sash, then again for the 2HKO, surviving Zam's Psychic with your own sash.
Omastar: Sleep, then TSpikes.
Kabutops: Same.
Moltres: You're running absolute max speed for this reason. Worst case scenario is a speed tie; use Sleep Powder for the chance to eliminate this threat immediately. Your sash guarantees you another 37.5% chance on turn 2 if Sleep Powder missed/Air Slash flinched you the first turn.
Hippopotas: Just set up TSpikes immediately.
Electrode: Bug Buzz on the predicted Taunt for a guaranteed 2HKO, your sash may even remain intact.
Cloyster: Sleep Powder; although missing means you will be OHKO'd by Rock Blast.
Hariyama: Protect first turn to scout it's set: If it tried Fake Out and activated Flame/T.Orb, then use TSpikes as it attacks, protect the next turn to stall for passive damage, then TSpikes again as it finishes you. You get 2 layers, Hariyama sits at ~2/3 HP. If it attacked first turn, simply sleep it.
This is a very good lead, and it works well. I actually run one similar to this, but leaning towards scouting out the opponent. It has a 4 HP/252 Def/252 Spe EV spread, an Impish Nature, Shield Dust (ever since I had a nasty encounter with Force Palm), Leftovers (for more survivability), and U-Turn over Bug Buzz. Mine has actually worked out very, very well for me, but I guess that the set you choose depends on preference. Good luck with this set!

EDIT: @Slater, look in earlier posts on this thread for a Lead Mismagius. I made one and there is also an anti-lead version too, so start with those.

Feraligatr @ Salac Berry
EVs: 28 Hp / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Endure
- Flail
- Aqua Jet

SD when you can. Endure to activate salac berry+torrent+max atk Fail.
Aqua Jet to hurt faster/priority pokemon. EV's are from the DD set.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Feraligatr @ Salac Berry
EVs: 28 Hp / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Endure
- Flail
- Aqua Jet

SD when you can. Endure to activate salac berry+torrent+max atk Fail.
Aqua Jet to hurt faster/priority pokemon. EV's are from the DD set.
Gimmick. Toxic ruins it, entry hazards make it impossible to switch in without spin support, Will-o-Wisp effectively neuters it (IF you manage to survive), Dry Skin Toxicroak destroys it with Sucker Punch, faster priority ruins it.

Sorry to be harsh, but it's just too risky of a set.
On another note:

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 32HP/252SpA/242Spe
-Protect
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Calm Mind

CM set, EVs outspeed neutral Scyther and +Speed Rotom, not to mention a few others. Protect to scout out Fake Out or stall Sucker Punch a bit.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gimmick. Toxic ruins it, entry hazards make it impossible to switch in without spin support, Will-o-Wisp effectively neuters it (IF you manage to survive), Dry Skin Toxicroak destroys it with Sucker Punch, faster priority ruins it.

Sorry to be harsh, but it's just too risky of a set.
You do realise this thread is made just so people can vent gimmicks into it right??

On another note:

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 32HP/252SpA/242Spe
-Protect
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Calm Mind

CM set, EVs outspeed neutral Scyther and +Speed Rotom, not to mention a few others. Protect to scout out Fake Out or stall Sucker Punch a bit.
I don't see the point of Protect. Uxie is bulky enough to tank Fake Outs anyway. Substitute is a better option. Grass Knot isn't worth it either, since now pretty much every Psychic type will beat you. No one runs neutral Scyther either. 228 Spe is enough to outspeed Rotom.

gimmick sets that WORK! why would i use endure+salac+ SD when i can use DD/SD+lieche/Salac+Sub? by far more reliable and useful given how fera can cause switchs on ground and rock types.

After I have read this: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74965 I thought UU could use an anti-lead like that as well instead of the Taunt'ing one.

Ambipom
item: Expert Belt/ Life Orb/ Lum berry
ability: Technician
nature: Timid
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Spd/ 252 SpA

move1: Fake Out
move2: Grass Knot
move3: Shadow Ball
move4: Swift/ Taunt/ Water Pulse/ Shock Wave

Ambipom has the speed and move coverage to be an effective offensive anti-lead. Fake Out + move coverage let it 2HKO the most common leads these days.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
<Special Ambipom snip>
Ambipom's Special Attack is just too low to pull this off.

And Speed should be abbreviated to "Spe".

@shrang: But Protect is useful against leads that Taunt as well. The Speed should be 224, my mistake, although Rotom is still out-sped. And Grass Knot counters Rhyperior and Milotic, although I suppose Energy Ball would still work.

I'll try with Sub and Energy Ball; see how that works.

I tried this set before and it didn't work as well as I hoped but I think it deserves to be here. This is a different SubSeeder version of Tangrowth.

Pokemon Name: Tangrowth
Moveset Name: Ingrain Subseeder
Move 1: Ingrain
Move 2: Leech Seed
Move 3: Substitute
Move 4: Sleep Powder
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD

Tangrowth is a pretty bulky grass type Pokemon. It's like a SubSeed moveset, except it has Ingrain to give it more HP. If a Pokemon Tangrowth doesn't like switches in, use Sleep Powder to make them switch out. Combined with leftovers, Tangrowth gets 3/16 of its HP, which is almost enough to make up for HP loss from substitutes in one turn.

Any suggestions?

That Tangrowth has too many common weaknesses to be good. Sure, Sleep Powder neuters something, but most teams will have two things at least that beat it. (Grass types; offensive Flying or Fire types like Moltres, Swellow, Houndoom and Scyther; Clefable; things with U-Turn; etc.)

I tried this set before and it didn't work as well as I hoped but I think it deserves to be here. This is a different SubSeeder version of Tangrowth.

Pokemon Name: Tangrowth
Moveset Name: Ingrain Subseeder
Move 1: Ingrain
Move 2: Leech Seed
Move 3: Substitute
Move 4: Sleep Powder
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD

Tangrowth is a pretty bulky grass type Pokemon. It's like a SubSeed moveset, except it has Ingrain to give it more HP. If a Pokemon Tangrowth doesn't like switches in, use Sleep Powder to make them switch out. Combined with leftovers, Tangrowth gets 3/16 of its HP, which is almost enough to make up for HP loss from substitutes in one turn.

Any suggestions?
As soon as you use that ingrain you are stuck...And tangrowth is really slow so anything with substitute beats this set as well as any grass type...This set can cause you to lose an entire game because you cant switch out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)