Network Technician/Administrator career?

Well, I am looking at a career change. I want to get into being a Network Technician or Network Administrator. The one that interests me the most right now is the Cisco Wireless Network Administrator, but I am looking at all possibilities(Microsoft, CompTIA, etc). I have next to no experience in this area so I was hoping that some of you Smogonites can give me advice in a few areas. The main ones being what's the easiest way to get certified/what's the easiest certifications to get, and, most importantly, I'd also like some of you that are already certified/have jobs post your experiences and what you would or wouldn't do over if you went through the process again.

Cisco is probably the most valuable network certification, but honestly all the people I've met in the field tell me networking is a fucking boring job; unless stuff breaks you just sit around scripting all your menial tasks so you can get back to twiddling your thumbs.

CompTIA is sort of the entry level. A+ is hardware oriented, then network+ is on the networking side.

After that, if it's the actual networking you're interested in, then the Cisco certs are the big names. If you want to go into server administration then look to the Microsoft ones. With MS you have the big decision of whether to do the older stuff - notably the MCSE - on Windows XP and Server 2003 - or the newer MCITP scheme on Windows Vista, 7, and/or Server 2008 and 2008 R2.

I think the network administrator very good, I also learned this, but the girls in this position is bad!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)