Need some netbook advice

Ok, I know this is probably a step-down for most of you in terms of tech, but hear me out...

My dad is looking into getting a netbook, mainly as a replacement for a laptop that was stolen earlier this year and I've been aiding him so far in the searching process. He already has a suitable laptop replacement (courtesy of a free one given to my brother from some ex-girlfriend...hell who cares, it was a free laptop), so we have roughly up to $650 or so from insurance money, so pretty much we're looking for the cream of the crop within that price range (so please, no suggestions above ~$700).

So really, what I'm looking for is pure performance and up-to-date tech, it's the key issue here; I know no netbook will ever beat out a midsized laptop in power, but I see no reason it can't at least almost equal one with enough money thrown at it. Screen size is preferably within the 10-12 inch range, with the smaller being preferred. Battery life, longer is nice, but likely this will be plugged in for quite the bit of time outside of travel, so it's not as much as an issue.

Right now, this is the one we've been looking at heavily:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-seashell/4505-3121_7-33893147.html#reviewPage1

It has a dual core processor (not common in netbooks, so it definitely gives it a speed kick compared to the single core 1.6 ghz models) and the newer Nvidia Ion graphics, which (while still integrated) beats the pants off the usual crappy standard stuff. However, it is a tad larger than he'd prefer, which is why we're keeping our eyes open and why I've come to you all.

So with the above as a basic guideline, what other options are there? Pretty much everything else I've seen seems to be of lower technical specs, and we don't have a spare $400 more to drop on that 11.6 inch Alienware model. So yeah...anyone else have some suggestions or ideals? Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert on netbooks but I know that putting more money into them generally isn't going to get you as good return on investment as it would elsewhere, so if that one looks like it'd meet your needs well enough I'd go for it.

Also, what are you planning to use a performance netbook for?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but performance netbook made me laugh.

Anyways, do you want performance at the cost of battery life? Because I know this one AMD netbook that got great performance reviews, but not that great battery life for a netbook.

Sorry, but performance netbook made me laugh.
Such machines exist, but they're not usually called netbooks. They're typically referred to as ultraportables. The market sector is older than netbooks and tends to be at the very HIGH end of the price range, way way above what the OP is willing to spend.

For the OP, I'd say try and find something with lots of RAM. Cheap netbooks skimp on it to cust the cost, but that limits the capabilities of the machine.

Actually, I thought ultraportables was the name of the dying breed of the whole smaller, lighter thinner end of the laptops since netbook performance was better...I think I read Cnet too much lol.

As far as RAM, nothing I can usually find goes over 2, though I try to keep my eye out for ones that are upgradeable (apparently some netbooks you can't upgrade the memory on or something? Weird).

@ Erraddd, lol I probably would have agreed with you about a year or 2 back when they were an oddity. But as the tech gap narrows, they do pretty well nowdays; surely, a modern netbook would nowdays probably beat out your basic home desktop system when like XP or maybe Vista was new right?

Also, lemme have the name of the AMD, I'm looking at all options so far, so anything you can come up with would be helpful.

@ Fishin, it'll mainly be for travel, something easier to carry about than a traditional laptop. My dad also likes to mess about with photos, so probably gonna see some Photoshop action in there as well. I know generally they don't perform as well as laptops, but as my dad has one, may as well use that insurance money on something rather than letting it go to waste. I'd like to be able to sneak some games onto it, obviously nothing that that fancy, but perhaps some of yester-yesteryear's titles on lowered settings.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aaarggh, it was an Acer notebook that got great reviews (It was a dual core (I think) and was able to beat out an Asus U series laptop in some benchmarks). The battery life wasn't great (You got 5 hours), but all around, was a good one. I"ll try looking around again for it.

Why not try to go for a Desktop replacement? Im pretty sure you could find a fair price around your range. Or do you just need it for portability reasons?

Why not try to go for a Desktop replacement? Im pretty sure you could find a fair price around your range. Or do you just need it for portability reasons?
We have a desktop already (though rarely used)...yeah we're weird like that. It's an ancient desktop by now as well, we only really use it to copy movies, print stuff...maybe the occasional light browsing and Word use, but that's really it, it's slow as hell. So it's pretty much for the portability, as you can sit anywhere in a house (or take it along on the road) whereas a desktop is unfriendly limited to 1 spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)