SS UU Need help modifying my team

Hey all, I built this team and I've had moderate success on the ladder. It's more of a bulky offense team. I was wondering if any more experienced players had any advice on how I can improve this team.

https://pokepast.es/95a7464f39d0cdf7 here is the importable

I wanted to start by adding a Gyarados +aegislash core. Both are phenomenal breakers and help cover each other, with aegislash dealing with more physically defensive mons like skarmory, hippowdon, and buzzwole while Gyarados takes care of things that can outspeed and threaten aegislash. DD is a fantastic wincon for gyarados while specs aegislash has very little switch ins.

- Next, I added conkeldurr, a ludicrously strong breaker, to help break through annoying pokemon like chansey and the stall/balance archetype as a whole. Mach punch is great priority, while its other attacks are a nightmare to switch into. Coupled with grasy terrain, the burn doesnt chip down conk's health too much.

-I wanted some speed control, so I add latias, a strong mon with CM+ roost and 2 attacks as the most optimal set. it can deal with mons like unboosted venusuar under the sun, opposing hawlucha, conkeldurr, and many more mons it can threaten with its moves or stomach an attack to set up with. It does get hardwalled by tapu lele, something only a few mons on my team can take care of.

-I added tapu bulu to provide the team with grassy terrain support as slow recovery and to take care of mons such as crawdaunt and diggersby. It also can be used to play terrain wars with tapu lele as its ability limits the effectiveness of physic terrain. Horn leech privdes it with recovery, cc and darkest lariat smack a lot of the tier and SD is to set up on a mon that bulu can take advantage of.

-Finally, I added slowking as a pivot whos job is to take hits and then pivot out into the optimal threat. It has future sight to help break mons and can heal between slack off and regenerator. its the only defensive mon on my team though, so it might feel a little constrained.

-Problems include being weak to ghosts like blacephalon, and being a bit slower compared to the fast paced meta. I also struggle to input hazard control and don't know what to change or switch out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

unlocked

Last edited:
Monky25 I am also here to rate your team. So the immediate thing that jumps out to me here is your lack of a Ghost resist on a team consisting of Aegislash + 2 Psychic types. This means that if any Ghost-type comes in against them like Gengar or Blacephalon they are likely going to clean sweep given the priority from Aegislash isn't very strong without investment. Your lack of a Ground-type makes it easy for Dracozolt to fire off their attacks way too easily, making this matchup more or less doomed.

Major Changes:

>
: Latias isn't really providing anything for your team other than another wincon. I suggest you use Hydreigon instead to patch up that weakness to Ghost-types. I'm making this a Choice Scarf set to help improve your Speed control, which you previously relied on Conkeldurr to solve. The fourth option is up to you, Defog can be used as an emergency case otherwise Fire Blast is the alternative option.

>
: Rhyperior helps patch up the matchup against Electric-types and provides you with a Stealth Rock setter that you previously lacked before. High Horsepower is here due to Tapu Bulu's terrain and I suggest using Swords Dance to help you break past things like Celesteela. Rhyperior also gives you a secondary check to Volcarona.

>
: Your team has immense issues with Weavile and Mamoswine and this is the easiest way to patch that up. Buzzwole also acts as a check to some of the Fighting-types in the tier like Conk. Toxic is my go-to on this Pokemon to cripple foes like Azumarill, Primarina, and Gyarados that Ice Punch and Drain Punch let in too easily. The Speed EVs are for Crawdaunt.

Minor Changes:

(Set Change): I suggest using a bulkier Aegislash on this team to help against some of the Psychic- and Fairy-types it needs to pivot into. The SubToxic set is still a decent wallbreaker but it has the added longevity to help improve the matchup against stuff like Tapu Lele and Hawlucha for example. If you want to stick with Choice Specs you can but you just have to play a lot smarter around threats like that.

(Adjustments): Any item other than Heavy-Duty Boots is hard to justify unless Gyarados is supported well behind something like screens. Earthquake isn't imperative coverage so I suggest you use Bounce. Bounce lets you break Tapu Bulu, Amoonguss, and Buzzwole. You could also use Ice Fang to hit these Grass-types but also Salamence and Hydreigon harder, but this will come at the cost of not breaking Phys Def Buzzwole.

(Move Change): You should consider using Protect over Darkest Lariet to help you deal with Bounce Gyarados better. Alternatively, you replace Swords Dance to help with this. You could consider a Life Orb in this case to improve its wallbreaking power. I also suggest running Speed on Tapu Bulu because being slower than Bisharp can be really annoying for this team. Zen Headbutt can also be considered to break through Amoonguss and Buzzwole.

<Click the Sprites for the Importable>

I hope you find these suggestions helpful. The team is going to have some issues against stuff like Nasty Plot Hydreigon and Mixed Victini for example but only so much can be done to patch up every matchup. You do have counterplay to said mons so it will just require determining your opponents set.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hey Monky25, Twilight's rate covers nicely what you can do to improve this team while focusing on your Aegislash + Gyarados core, but I decided to also give a rate to this team where I focused more on the Grassy Terrain side you presented. At first glance when I saw this team, I honestly thought you had built this around Tapu Bulu + Aegislash + Conkeldurr, and saw that you named your team Grassy Terrain BO on your Pokepaste, which is a great core that really takes advantage of your Grassy terrain.

Definitely one of the main issues here was just the lack of speed you had and poor Ghost-type and Dark-type matchups, Aegislash and Blacephalon in particular were devastating to you, which I have helped to fix up here. You also had a worrying matchup versus Volcarona when you rely on priority for your speed control, and Gyarados could also pose a massive threat to you similarly due to its bulk and typing.

Minor Changes

:aegislash:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Substitute

I recommend running a Substitute + Toxic Aegislash here like Twilight did. It really takes advantage of the Grassy terrain super well, giving you 12% recovery a turn to better recover Substitutes and take advantage of King's shield more. SubTox Aegi gives you a nice wallbreaker here that provides more defensive utility versus Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Jirachi, and non Knock Scizor, and sets up on stuff like Celesteela that your Tapu Bulu dislikes a lot.

:tapu bulu:

I recommend running a max Speed max Attack Adamant spread on your Tapu Bulu here, allowing you to outspeed Pokemon that would otherwise check you like Offensive Incineroar and Bisharp. Unlike with Twilight's rate, you can happily keep Darkest Lariat to help break through Aegislash here, as I will be changing up your Latias to allow it to check it.

:latias:

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Your current Latias set doesn't provide amazing speed control on its own, your Priority from Conkeldurr is useful but you definitely want the ability to have something that outspeeds Pokemon like +1 Gyarados, +1 Salamence, and Choice Scarf Blacephalon that you don't have other ways of offensively threatening.

Choice Scarf Latias is a great fit here, with this set of coverage it has the ability to threaten all of these Pokemon, as well as +1 speed Nihilego (Meteor Beam + Power Herb), and pick off a weakened Volcarona with Psyshock. Healing Wish is also really fantastic offensive support for your Grassy Terrain core, helping say Conkeldurr or Tapu Bulu play more aggressively early game and still be useful later.

Major Changes

:slowking: -> :diancie:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Your team lacked Stealth Rock in its current state, which is a must have. It also needed a reliable Volcarona answer when you are running Tapu Bulu + Aegislash. Diancie is a perfect fit to provide both of these. It also gives you a check to otherwise annoying Pokemon like Noivern and Latias that can annoy your Grassy-Terrain core.

:gyarados: -> :incineroar:

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Overheat
- Parting Shot
- Toxic

As mentioned at the beginning, your team really needed ways of switching into Ghost-types. A fast defensive Incineroar provides you with a nice check that is only 3hkoed by Choice Specs Blacephalon, and can offensively check all Aegislash variants, thanks to being faster than Adamant Swords Dance. It also provides you with another Scizor answer so you aren't relying only on Aegislash, likewise also outspeeding Adamant Offensive Scizor. Parting Shot support from Incineroar is also really useful to get your offensive Pokemon into play, eg. Conk into Hydreigon.

:ss/conkeldurr: :ss/aegislash: :ss/tapu-bulu: :ss/incineroar: :ss/diancie: :ss/latias:

https://pokepast.es/928ecef551fc5d38

I hope you enjoy this version of your team! This was already pretty close to a pretty nice looking Grassy Terrain team, so I felt offering this perspective in addition to Twilight's rate was very worthwhile, although I couldn't keep Gyarados due to it not really synergising as well with the Grassy Terrain core.

This team is going to have issues with Pokemon like Nasty Plot + Flash Cannon Hydreigon and Nasty Plot + Focus Blast Gengar/Alakazam due to their ability to break through Diancie / Incineroar respectively, but you will always have offensive counterplay available between Conkeldurr and Scarf Latias, and the latter two will struggle to find easy set up opportunities versus a large portion of your team.​

Monky25 I am also here to rate your team. So the immediate thing that jumps out to me here is your lack of a Ghost resist on a team consisting of Aegislash + 2 Psychic types. This means that if any Ghost-type comes in against them like Gengar or Blacephalon they are likely going to clean sweep given the priority from Aegislash isn't very strong without investment. Your lack of a Ground-type makes it easy for Dracozolt to fire off their attacks way too easily, making this matchup more or less doomed.

Major Changes:

>
: Latias isn't really providing anything for your team other than another wincon. I suggest you use Hydreigon instead to patch up that weakness to Ghost-types. I'm making this a Choice Scarf set to help improve your Speed control, which you previously relied on Conkeldurr to solve. The fourth option is up to you, Defog can be used as an emergency case otherwise Fire Blast is the alternative option.

>
: Rhyperior helps patch up the matchup against Electric-types and provides you with a Stealth Rock setter that you previously lacked before. High Horsepower is here due to Tapu Bulu's terrain and I suggest using Swords Dance to help you break past things like Celesteela. Rhyperior also gives you a secondary check to Volcarona.

>
: Your team has immense issues with Weavile and Mamoswine and this is the easiest way to patch that up. Buzzwole also acts as a check to some of the Fighting-types in the tier like Conk. Toxic is my go-to on this Pokemon to cripple foes like Azumarill, Primarina, and Gyarados that Ice Punch and Drain Punch let in too easily. The Speed EVs are for Crawdaunt.

Minor Changes:

(Set Change): I suggest using a bulkier Aegislash on this team to help against some of the Psychic- and Fairy-types it needs to pivot into. The SubToxic set is still a decent wallbreaker but it has the added longevity to help improve the matchup against stuff like Tapu Lele and Hawlucha for example. If you want to stick with Choice Specs you can but you just have to play a lot smarter around threats like that.

(Adjustments): Any item other than Heavy-Duty Boots is hard to justify unless Gyarados is supported well behind something like screens. Earthquake isn't imperative coverage so I suggest you use Bounce. Bounce lets you break Tapu Bulu, Amoonguss, and Buzzwole. You could also use Ice Fang to hit these Grass-types but also Salamence and Hydreigon harder, but this will come at the cost of not breaking Phys Def Buzzwole.

(Move Change): You should consider using Protect over Darkest Lariet to help you deal with Bounce Gyarados better. Alternatively, you replace Swords Dance to help with this. You could consider a Life Orb in this case to improve its wallbreaking power. I also suggest running Speed on Tapu Bulu because being slower than Bisharp can be really annoying for this team. Zen Headbutt can also be considered to break through Amoonguss and Buzzwole.

<Click the Sprites for the Importable>

I hope you find these suggestions helpful. The team is going to have some issues against stuff like Nasty Plot Hydreigon and Mixed Victini for example but only so much can be done to patch up every matchup. You do have counterplay to said mons so it will just require determining your opponents set.
Hey Monky25, Twilight's rate covers nicely what you can do to improve this team while focusing on your Aegislash + Gyarados core, but I decided to also give a rate to this team where I focused more on the Grassy Terrain side you presented. At first glance when I saw this team, I honestly thought you had built this around Tapu Bulu + Aegislash + Conkeldurr, and saw that you named your team Grassy Terrain BO on your Pokepaste, which is a great core that really takes advantage of your Grassy terrain.

Definitely one of the main issues here was just the lack of speed you had and poor Ghost-type and Dark-type matchups, Aegislash and Blacephalon in particular were devastating to you, which I have helped to fix up here. You also had a worrying matchup versus Volcarona when you rely on priority for your speed control, and Gyarados could also pose a massive threat to you similarly due to its bulk and typing.

Minor Changes

:aegislash:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Substitute

I recommend running a Substitute + Toxic Aegislash here like Twilight did. It really takes advantage of the Grassy terrain super well, giving you 12% recovery a turn to better recover Substitutes and take advantage of King's shield more. SubTox Aegi gives you a nice wallbreaker here that provides more defensive utility versus Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Jirachi, and non Knock Scizor, and sets up on stuff like Celesteela that your Tapu Bulu dislikes a lot.

:tapu bulu:

I recommend running a max Speed max Attack Adamant spread on your Tapu Bulu here, allowing you to outspeed Pokemon that would otherwise check you like Offensive Incineroar and Bisharp. Unlike with Twilight's rate, you can happily keep Darkest Lariat to help break through Aegislash here, as I will be changing up your Latias to allow it to check it.

:latias:

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Your current Latias set doesn't provide amazing speed control on its own, your Priority from Conkeldurr is useful but you definitely want the ability to have something that outspeeds Pokemon like +1 Gyarados, +1 Salamence, and Choice Scarf Blacephalon that you don't have other ways of offensively threatening.

Choice Scarf Latias is a great fit here, with this set of coverage it has the ability to threaten all of these Pokemon, as well as +1 speed Nihilego (Meteor Beam + Power Herb), and pick off a weakened Volcarona with Psyshock. Healing Wish is also really fantastic offensive support for your Grassy Terrain core, helping say Conkeldurr or Tapu Bulu play more aggressively early game and still be useful later.

Major Changes

:slowking: -> :diancie:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Your team lacked Stealth Rock in its current state, which is a must have. It also needed a reliable Volcarona answer when you are running Tapu Bulu + Aegislash. Diancie is a perfect fit to provide both of these. It also gives you a check to otherwise annoying Pokemon like Noivern and Latias that can annoy your Grassy-Terrain core.

:gyarados: -> :incineroar:

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Overheat
- Parting Shot
- Toxic

As mentioned at the beginning, your team really needed ways of switching into Ghost-types. A fast defensive Incineroar provides you with a nice check that is only 3hkoed by Choice Specs Blacephalon, and can offensively check all Aegislash variants, thanks to being faster than Adamant Swords Dance. It also provides you with another Scizor answer so you aren't relying only on Aegislash, likewise also outspeeding Adamant Offensive Scizor. Parting Shot support from Incineroar is also really useful to get your offensive Pokemon into play, eg. Conk into Hydreigon.

:ss/conkeldurr: :ss/aegislash: :ss/tapu-bulu: :ss/incineroar: :ss/diancie: :ss/latias:

https://pokepast.es/928ecef551fc5d38

I hope you enjoy this version of your team! This was already pretty close to a pretty nice looking Grassy Terrain team, so I felt offering this perspective in addition to Twilight's rate was very worthwhile, although I couldn't keep Gyarados due to it not really synergising as well with the Grassy Terrain core.

This team is going to have issues with Pokemon like Nasty Plot + Flash Cannon Hydreigon and Nasty Plot + Focus Blast Gengar/Alakazam due to their ability to break through Diancie / Incineroar respectively, but you will always have offensive counterplay available between Conkeldurr and Scarf Latias, and the latter two will struggle to find easy set up opportunities versus a large portion of your team.​
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions! I’ll be sure to try out both versions of the teams later today and see how they play out for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)