Gen 6 Need help building a Non-Legendary Offensive Team for Passerby Battles

Right so this is my first post on smogon and I've decided not to have any legendaries/mythical pokemon in my team if possible as this is the team I'm going to use for PSS battles and most people do not like seeing legendaries on the opposing team. I've been play testing team on showdown gen 6 ou and I try to avoid using pokemons that have mega evolutions as teammates for my main mega(in this case charizard X) except for those that have bad megas such as alakazam, garchomp etc.

Adamant Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze (Tough Claws)
EVs: 4 Def/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz
-Roost

This is the pokemon i'm building the team around with. I choose X over Y because I feel that it is a better mega counterpart of charizard. 4x resistance to fire and it has a chance to win in a matchup against charizard Y. And i dont really like the ability of charizard Y as it strengthens fire moves which makes it easier to kill my serperior(not that it'll survive any fire attacks but still) and weakens my azumarill's attacks. Charizard X also seems to have more bulk than Y. This set is pretty standard, i would normally dragon dance on pokemon that has 4x weakness to fire such as scizor and ferrothorn as they usually switch out and dragon claw over outrage as fairy types are quite common nowadays and I dont want to give them a free turn. Usually 1 dd is enough but against chansey i need 2 but it is difficult to set up as my ev spread gives no bulk to charizard. Flare blitz for the stab and roost for 1v1 situations against talonflame to stall it out and set up on it. Hates scarfed landorus therian :( , not even 1 dragon dance is enough. You might ask, then why not for a jolly nature instead? Well, I was afraid of losing out on crucial KOs with the drop in power...

Timid Serperior @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden power Fire
- Glare

When i was building this team i sought for ideas for charizard's teammates and I've found that from many sources such as smogon forums and reddit's, there's always serperior and rotom-w/azumarill around whenever there is mega charizard X. so i went with serperior, a pokemon that i would never used if not for its hidden ability, contrary. Man, this ability together with leaf storm have helped me KOed a lot of pokemon, especially magnezone and thundurus who are a threat to azumarill. Glare is there to provide paralysis support for charizard and azumarill to help make setting up easier and to allow azumarill to move first without using aqua jet. Hidden power fire for steel types that resists both dragon pulse and leaf storm. Lastly, I opted miracle seed over life orb as based on my experiences, it wears down serperior very quickly.

Modest Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 128 SpA / 160 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

To round up the Fire/Grass/Water core, i have rotom-wash. I have been switching around rotom-w and azumarill for this spot and I cannot really settle for one. Would be great if i can get some advice on this. I chose an offensive for rotom-w to keep up the momentum for an offensive team and have thunder wave instead of pain split for some speed control.

Bold Clefable @ Kee Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

Clefable is there to help round up alakazam weaknesses to bug ghost and dark. And it has got pretty good bulk and thunder wave to support charizard to make set up easier. I chose an calm mind set in order to have more offensive presence while retaining its bulk.

Timid Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Alakazam is my only solution to gengar. Gengar really is a big problem against my team as it poses a threat to serperior and azumarill. I chose life orb over choice items as i want alakazam to be as flexible as possible, he has the potential to be a late game sweeper. That being said, choice scarf gengar defeats alakazam. Psyshock over pyschic as there are pokemon weak to psychic wearing assault vest like conkeldurr and basically i feel that psyhock is superior to psychic. Encore was replaced by energy ball as I faced situations where alakazam would have won the battle if he has another coverage move so I replaced it with energy ball. So far so good.

Jolly Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

This my spinner and I think that for this team keeping hazards off is more important than keeping hazards up so I've decided to forgo hazards setter and only go for spinners. Without a spinner, stealth rocks really hurts charizard and sticky web just slows the whole team down. This is also my revenge killer for the team. Just come in, kill something and leave.

That's it. I know to go for a non legend team on showdown is a bit impractical and yes i admit there's been quite a bit of losses I suffered. Landorus-Therian, (scarfed)Kyurem-Black, Diancie,Zygarde,Keldeo,Manaphy, Tornadus-Therian, Thundurus, heatran etc have all caused dents in my team. (Mega)Scizor, gliscor, mega lopunny, chansey also caused me problems. This is a last resort but if there is really a need to add legendaries in this team feel free to say so too as after all this is OU... Thank you for reading and I appreciate your feedbacks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)