Tournament NDWC III Set & Team Dump Thread

sasha

one eyed owl
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
lop.png

Wonderful art by Kolohe
OP Stolen from this thread
Since playoffs are on the horizon, here is the NDWC III Set & Team Dump is here to serve as an opportunity to post whatever anyone has used so far! It's pretty self explanatory, post teams you used or built in NDWC III here!

Rules
  • This is for teams used in, or heavily considered for use, in NDWC III ONLY.
  • OU, Ubers, and Monotype teams can be posted.
  • A Pokepaste would be preferred in terms of formatting. Sprites would also be a helpful addition.
  • Descriptions/stories about the teams are allowed (encouraged, even) but consider using a spoiler tag if they end up being very long.
  • These teams may be considered to be used as Sample Teams so no need to post in the bazaar as well.
And that's it! Happy posting, and good luck to the teams in the playoffs!

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, my team is out of NDWC so here is a teamdump of all teams I've built as prep. I wish all the teams in playoffs the best of luck, it was glad competing against you guys and I can't wait for next year. But yeah that's all I have to say about that, here are all of the teams and sets I've built all listed below. You could consider them sample submissions if you want.

SETS
:sv/kingambit:
Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 64 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance

Swords Dance with three Dark-type attacks is something I've liked on Kingambit, it helps you be a threatening late-game sweeper with the utility of trapping as a plus. I usually use it on teams that could use a wincon and could use the utility of dealing with Dragapult. It's a pretty solid set from my experience, and I'd suggest giving it a try. Spread should let you eat 2 Moonblasts from Tapu Lele, though I stole it from a brilliant mastermind named pdt, so thank you!

:sv/enamorus:
Enamorus (F) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute

This set is to mainly take advantage of Clodsire and Toxapex, two Pokemon that would otherwise shutdown Contrary + Superpower sets. Psychium Z should heavily dent the noggin of both of the aforementioned Pokemon, but sadly crumbles into Gholdengo. Should be used with a Kingambit to get rid of Gholdengo so it can just click its buttons.

:sv/basculegion:
Basculegion (M) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Phantom Force
- Substitute

Substitute up, click Liquidation, kill the Water resist with the Never-Ending Nightmare, boom. Pretty simple, but it's a cool set. Use it on some Ghost-spam with Dragapult and a Dark-type killer and win games.

PRE HOME

:baxcalibur: :slowking: :magnezone: :dragapult: :kingambit: :landorus-therian: - Was used in a tour game
https://pokepast.es/9ab1a2897eb923a5
Some DragMag I made with Baxcalibur + Slowking, gameplan is to kill the Steel-type with IDBP Magnezone or pressure a Tera for your teammates to take advantage of, and click buttons with one of your breakers. Pretty simple structure and is quite easy to pilot.

:zapdos: :gliscor: :clefable: :scizor-mega: :toxapex: :tornadus-therian:
https://pokepast.es/3ec331fb385fd535
Substitute Pressure Zapdos and Swords Dance Gliscor are some annoying Pokemon to deal with, pairing the two together is quite funny. Team pretty much shreds fat teams and can do well into offense with the solid defensive backbone on this team, being Toxapex, Clefable, and AV Tornadus-T.

:landorus-therian: :ferrothorn: :kingambit: :dragapult: :diancie-mega: :zapdos:
https://pokepast.es/99f30ee1d4b55cef
SD Gravity Landorus-T has been something that I've thought about for a bit when one of my friends brought it up a while ago. Punishing Rotom-W and Skarmory for trying to wall you because you're Flyinium Z or if they are attempting to scout you is quite big. Also has some hazard stack to be annoying to dance around a boosted Landorus-T and its teammates, pretty fun to play with overall.

:dragonite: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :lopunny-mega: :kingambit: :toxapex:
https://pokepast.es/fcebd24a50791b20
Some odd Normal spam I made at like 2 in the morning, its like an offense destroyer since you can pretty easily overwhelm offense with strong priority from Dragonite and Mega Lopunny. Heatran + Toxapex helps deal with the Fairy-types (mainly Choice Scarf Tapu Lele) who would otherwise devour this core.

:latias-mega: :skarmory: :gholdengo: :toxapex: :mandibuzz: :clodsire:
https://pokepast.es/6bda437291fc5b05
I think that Mega Latias definitely fell from grace compared to last generation, but it receives way more hate than it needs. It's still a nice defensive wincon that has solid defensive utility, and functions best with a hazard stacking team like this to overwhelm the opponent. Also likes teammates that will cook common Toxic users, and nearly all of them are immune to it. It's an okay team with a somewhat okay Pokemon, solid success on ladder but I didn't really vibe with it as much as my other teams.

:hydreigon: :diancie-mega: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :heatran: :kingambit: :landorus-therian:
https://pokepast.es/a0b3cdfe79956db6
Another team that can annoy fat, I'm pretty sure you guys know how SubPlot Hydreigon works so I don't have much to say here. It's cool to pilot though, Iron Valiant matchup is quite questionable though but Tera Poison Hydreigon can Earth Power it for decent damage.

:kartana: :rillaboom: :latios-mega: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :kingambit: - Was used in a tour game
https://pokepast.es/0c2ac5e2553db951
Gameplan for this team is to remove Steels with Heatran and / or pressure them with Mega Latios and let Rillaboom or Kartana lategame, cool to pilot.

POST HOME
:basculegion: :lopunny-mega: :dragapult: :landorus-therian: :kingambit: :ferrothorn:
https://pokepast.es/b50120853828f07d
Ghost spam with Basculegion and Dragapult, Mega Lopunny and Body Press Ferrothorn for insurance against Dark-types.

:enamorus: :diancie-mega: :dragapult: :great-tusk: :kingambit: :heatran:
https://pokepast.es/e44a84cb216b761f
Some hazard stack with that Psychium Z Enamorus tech, removes Clodsire, Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur for Mega Diancie while it stacks up Spikes and pressures Defog, which Enamorus can take advantage of. Pretty easy to pilot, and a team that I enjoyed building.

:enamorus: :tapu-lele: :latios-mega: :kingambit: :zapdos: :great-tusk:
https://pokepast.es/a2ea875d8af6ba6a
This is just some Fairy spam slop, kill the Steels with your coverage and / or your teammates spam Moonblast right after, pretty simple.

:sneasler: :dragapult: :latios-mega: :kingambit: :landorus-therian: :heatran:
https://pokepast.es/45184e6a76e3b930
Sneasler + Hex Dragapult is another core from SVOU that I like here in National Dex, its a good status spam core that can be quite annoying, and with teammates like Mega Latios to deal with Gliscor and Toxapex for the core make it quite potent, very fun team and another build I liked making.

:enamorus: :kartana: :garchomp: :heatran: :kingambit: :rotom-wash:
https://pokepast.es/d3bb77af4966ea8e
Some CM Enamorus slop I made at a very early time as well, stack hazards and go from there, way too lazy to keep on writing this

Lastly, here's all the teams that I've had that I build during NDWC. There are three eye folders name "eye", "eye2", and "eye3". Those are just names I came up with out of nowhere for teams that I did not use in NDWC. There's also some builds from other metagames that I play like CAP and SVOU, so feel free to steal those too, or ignore them. Most of them are a bit outdated with Magearna being banned lol
https://pokepast.es/96630af655525047

This was a wonderful tour, and I again wish all the teams in playoffs the best of luck, and all teams that didn't make it should feel proud of themselves regardless for all the wins they got, the great teamwork they have had, and everything else that occurred during the tour. Love y'all <3

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Here is every team I built during/for WC: https://pokepast.es/3e61f1a003401ae6

vs Bilibili w: (L)
team: https://pokepast.es/8226607a374ac45e
I actually initially had built some Specs Latios offense just as a nuke button against the high Kingambit and weird offense usage Bilibili had, but in a last minute panic moment, I completely switched up and went with Mega Latios, which not only had a decent matchup into the weather than Bilibili loved, but I was just kinda inspired by some of Hidin's builds earlier that week. Latios-Mega with sub 2a gives you the ability to beat sucker mindgames, while turning Garganacl into a free chance to start throwing off breaker attackers. The rest of the team was mainly standard glue material, such as Toxapex and Heatran providing better matchups into Sun / Rain, Volcarona, and random sweepers / breakers. Tornadus-T was chosen as a standard defogger, and Landorus-T was my choice for speed control, also getting free Knocks on most of Kingambit's checks. I made some mistakes in the builder in my opinion, such as not including Pursuit on Kingambit here, and going Aura Sphere over Mystical Fire. Bilibili brought bulky Fight Z Gholdengo, which I had a lot of difficulty playing around. Additionally, Sub Mega Latios ended up being deadweight thanks to both Fight Z Gholdengo and Tera Ghost Curse Garganacl. Ultimately, I misplayed but my team was also messed up in the builder, so I'm fully taking the blame for that loss.

vs peap: (W)
team: https://pokepast.es/39bc4eacdf5b6ede
I felt like bringing Hyper Offense this week and ended up messing with some Tapu Koko + Iron Valiant builds I had brought to SSNL.Taunt Landorus lead generally seemed good into Peap's offense heavy builds, and Hawlucha was another pick that I chose based on team structure + Peap's scout. I really wanted to shiest out with some CM hp fire Tapu Koko which is generally quite a strong pick, as well as Iron Jugulis or Moltres-G, but seeing as our team was 0-7, I couldn't let us go out like that and I loaded a more standard build with my favorite Electrium Z Valiant. I went Encore Hawlucha to abuse Peap's high offense usage which generally loads things like Landorus, Tusk, and Ting-Lu, which I could easily draw an Earthquake from with Kingambit or Tapu Koko. Luckily, we had an interesting lead exchange and lead Tera Ghost SD Landorus ended up sweeping nearly the entire team (ban tera) , but I think I had a pretty good matchup regardless.

vs Rhmsitb: (L)
team: https://pokepast.es/99d87f7d7fbcedc4
pdt and I felt like swapping tiers since we were (almost certainly) guaranteed out of playoffs, but it gave me a chance to prep for a tier I was curious about anyways. I was not super familiar with Rhmsitb's builds in this tier, but I was very much in a Hyper Offense mood. I loaded up Kyurem-B HO for the fat balance / stall matchup, paired with CM 3a Fairyceus to break through Ho-Oh and NDM for MMY, and vice versa. Defensive Groudon was added to improve the matchup into other Zacian, NDM, Koraidon, and the occasional Primal Kyogre, while also providing a form of additional speed control in Thunder Wave, letting me use Kyurem-Black more freely late-game especially with Substitute. Tera Ghost SD Zacian was my endgame sweeper, and my tool to also break through NDM if needed, while also making me improofed vs opposing Ditto matchups. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to showcase this team as much as I wanted to because I got destroyed by Shuckle + Unecro webs.

I'm not super proud of my tour results, but I'm definitely glad I could contribute to my team and help everyone test / build. This was the first team tour for a tier I was used to, so I'm really glad it was a good experience. I really enjoyed teaming with everyone in US South, y'all were fantastic, and I wish everyone in playoffs good luck!

Edit: omg i forgot my favorite team https://pokepast.es/81aac9aae38c8eb6

Last edited:

sealoo

PaulGod
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
First off, thanks to everyone on South for a great tour, you all were amazing and a joy to be around for the past 1.5 months, so im gonna offer a post with explanations behind what I brought and other teams considered

W1 - N/A

W2 vs AmyQuaris :hippowdon: :skarmory: :toxapex: :lopunny-mega: :mandibuzz: :garganacl:

first game so i wanted to play it safe, loaded my most comfortable and most experienced team. I really considered no other builds this week, I knew thugnar would probably get me on the board. Got a fairly easy mu in the game and to Mandibuzz haters dismay he went crazy

W3 vs akarihikari :buzzwole: :garganacl: :mandibuzz: :gliscor: :hippowdon: :lopunny-mega:

In my 2/4 of my opponent’s games, they loaded up Koko/Rilla/Hands so I wanted to bring double ground and abuse broken sd scor. Buzzwole was a pick bc its rly good into Rillaboom and covers Zama unlike Skarm
Sadly lost this one to some misfortune with my glisc, but was a fun and close game

W4 vs Isza :medicham-mega: :zapdos: :hippowdon: :skarmory: :gholdengo: :kartana:(Make ghold fairy if u intend to use)

i wasnt loading fat this week 100%, knew a cteam would be coming to some extent but i brought the same team as gamer did vs Ryuji, just edited to have Ghold over Tran bc Isza had been loading a stall team in room tours all week, which I knew he wouldnt load but wanted to be prepared nonetheless. Sadly, I made my Ghold tera ghost instead of fairy which is what i usually run and it cost me my Ghold vs gambit when it probably couldve won endgame. This was an incredibly fun game, and was very intense at almost every turn but I sold endgame because i was playing too fast and thought he’d double washtom on obvious Zapdos, but there was realistically no reason to not uturn. Ggwp to Isza, that was probably the most fun game ive played in the tour scene so far.

W5 vs greentea - :sableye-mega: :hydreigon: :clodsire: :gastrodon: :skarmory: :gholdengo:

Felt like bringing the super stall my good friend gamer but swag built, I hadnt considered what to bring till 20min before game time. I put stall and thugnar in a random list generator and got Thugnar so i brought that game1 but sadly due to internet issues my opponent DC’d, so we agreed to replay with different teams. Had a nice mu with loading Gastrodon into the presumed HippoSkarm check (sub np washtom) and was smooth sailing from there.

I wouldve liked to go positive and week3 was probably the most salty ive been over mons ever but this was a very fun tour and that can be attributed to awesome teammates. 2-3 isnt ideal but South will be back for NDWC4 :toast:

here are some other teams i considered loading

:buzzwole: :zapdos: :tapu-lele: :ferrothorn: :mandibuzz: :hippowdon: fly Z zap is a very potent breaker that deserves more shine, rest of the team is fairly normal but this was considered every week besides week 2

:hawlucha: :tapu-koko: :scizor-mega: :baxcalibur: :moltres-galar: :iron-valiant: my take on eterrain ho, tested this a ton and was consistently fun and good, goltres is a huge sleeper mon if you dont wanna spam gambit every HO

:tapu-lele: :volcarona: :kingambit: :medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: someone (TDR i think?) loaded this vs Peap w1 and sadly lost due to Fire Blast miss iirc, i actually hadnt updated this team since Cyc ban but i saw TDR put washtom on it and agreed it was a good fit. Awesome team, definitely one of my favorites

Good luck in semis France, EU, NEC, and USW :blobpex:

Last edited:
W1 :groudon-primal: :koraidon: :zygarde: :magearna: :yveltal: :arceus-water: (Water)

The story of this team a bit lame but I just copied the same six from a screenshot Jho sent me and I kinda just guessed all the sets. The only edit we made was making Watercous I-Beam so it could actually hit Groudon. Worked well though and surprisingly this is my only Scarf Koraidon and Zygarde the whole tour. The next 4 will have been built by me alone.

W2 :smeargle: :arceus: (Normal) :groudon-primal: :yveltal: :zacian-crowned: :necrozma-dawn-wings:

Of course the first thing I think of is cheese. I original wanted to try webs + Deoxys-A but that mon adds so many wholes in the team duel to already having a lead so I scrapped it. Shuckle became Slurpuff, Slurpuff became Smeargle and then the rest kinda made sense. Zygarde kind of wins if it sets up so I enlisted the help of Play Rough Zacian and Tera Ice Arceus. Necrozoma-DW was picked over DM because of its more neutral typing which I felt was better in a 1 time setup team.

W3 :palkia-origin: :arceus-fairy: (Fairy) :groudon-primal: :yveltal: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :marshadow:

I'm so annoyed at myself that I didn't immediately tera water this monster. Easily the scariest pokemon to hit the field if it can setup on you. This is were I started releasing that the Pdon / Yvelt / Arceus Fairy/Water/Poison / Steel core is really good. Marshadow is good but since Gen 7 they started releasing Pokemon that are some how even faster.

W4 :xerneas: :eternatus: :groudon-primal: :arceus-dark: (Dark) :ho-oh: :necrozma-dusk-mane:

Wanted to use Meteor Beam Eternatus as a lure for Ho-Oh for resttalk Geomancy Xerneas which is actually okay this gen because it can use Tera Water and setup infront of Necrozma-DM. Used Arceus-Dark because I noticed that I had used Yveltal every week so far so I wanted to throw off some potential c-teaming. I replace Yveltal with Ho-Oh which is the only time I used it in the tour duel to the prepping nature of Team Tours so that 4 times weakness wasn't appealing to me.

W5 :koraidon: :groudon-primal: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :flutter-mane: :yveltal: :arceus-poison: (Poison)

I hadn't used Koraidon since w1 and I wanted to push its power to the absolute limit. CB Tera Rock is a great lure for Ho-Oh so I paired it up with pokemon that can function without it in the back. I was unsure about Flutter Mane but It ends being both great speed control it also can setup against support Arceus forms, Ghostium I found the most useful because a lot of the time it really needed a 1 turn nuke to break through. Arceus Poison was used against me the week prior so I tried it on this team instead of Fairy and it ended being very good because it took pressure off my Groudon and Necrozma-DM.

Unfortunately didn't make it to playoffs so I'm going to post all the teams built for Monotype (Pre-Home). We actually built 2-3 teams per week so there were a decent amount of teams unused.

Week 2:
This week we kind of just threw stuff at the wall until something stuck; we started with Fairy since the type was kind of broken (as per usual) with Tapus and the addition of Iron Valiant to abuse Electric Terrain. Two options were created to choose from. One was more offensive with Azu, the other was a more reactive one with Clefable.

:Diancie-Mega::Klefki::Tapu Koko::Tapu Bulu::Iron Valiant::Azumarill:
:Diancie-Mega::Klefki::Tapu Koko::Tapu Bulu::Iron Valiant::Clefable:
The teams are nearly identical with only Clefable/Azumarill and one move on Iron Valiant being different from each other. Klefki, Diancie, Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu are almost mandatory. Diancie in addition to it's great offensive presence also helps deter hazards that Fairy has no great way of handling. Klefki is your Poison immunity and invaluable for setting up hazards and Screens to support the offensive sets of the rest of the team. Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko help cover a range of common types like Water, Flying and Ground. With Tapu Koko on the team and a Fighting typing, Iron Valiant was an obvious pick. The difference in the sets is Knock Off vs. Substitute. The Azumarill team was weaker to Poison so Substitute was added to dodge Toxic.

After some testing we ended up switching to Water which had a huge variety of options. We created three fairly distinct compositions of various playstyles to choose from.

:Greninja::Urshifu-Rapid-Strike::Slowking::Swampert::Toxapex::Cloyster:
This team was built around FuturePort but taken much further with 2 breaker options (Greninja / Urshifu) and a ton of momentum support with 3 options to slow turn and break opposing defensive cores.

:Toxapex::Greninja::Swampert::Tapu Fini::Gyarados-Mega::Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:
Next I wanted to look at a Rainless composition. The composition is similar with 4 Pokemon being reused; Urshifu was changed to Protective Pads so it could abuse Swords Dance without fear of Rough Skin, Iron Barbs or Rocky Helmet. Swampert, Toxapex, and Greninja remained the same as the core that covers a lot of Water's weaknesses. To better deal with Stall or bulkier teams we went with a support Fini with Taunt and Nature's Madness.

:Toxapex::Pelipper::Barraskewda::Swampert::Gyarados-Mega::Greninja:
In the end we went with the Rain composition which I personally feel was the best variation of Water at the time. The glaring weirdness is that we opted for Mega Gyarados instead of Mega Swampert on a Rain team. With Swampert being as important as it is for Water, I felt that a defensive set would be better to provide more consistent Stealth Rocks and more longevity against coverage trying to break your Electric immunity. The rest of the sets are pretty straight forward and the main goal of the team is set Rain and click Liquidation with Barraskewda.

Week 3:
I started working on a build for this week before the week started and before Espathra got it's overdue ban from the tier. I still wanted to post the team since the concept was great and with the help of ASKid679 I think we "solved" the composition.

:Espathra::Gallade-Mega::Tapu Lele::Jirachi::Slowking-Galar::Latias:
Since Psychic has pretty bad options for hazard control the main concern for Espathra was Toxic Spikes, since anything else can be healed back. This made Slowking-G the perfect choice. With the addition of Chilly Reception, it now became a way to soak Toxic Spikes and pivot to Espathra to give it the best opportunities to set up. With hazards being slightly less of an issue, Espathra was able to use Fairium Z to break the Dark types that attempt to wall it. The ban happened before the week so this team just went straight into the garbage.

Next we looked for some options to try and handle common stuff being used throughout the tour.

:Steelix-Mega::Landorus::Great Tusk::Mamoswine::Ting-Lu::Gastrodon:
The first option was an Anti-Meta Ground. Mega Steelix is quite underrated but it covers a ton of MUs and defensive holes that Ground can have by checking Fairy and Grass types better so you don't have to have your offensive resists taking unnecessary chip damage. Because Ground has a great hazard stack core we decided on an offensive Great Tusk which would catch people by surprise. This team covers pretty much all S/A tier types in one way or another providing the team with a lot of great matchups.

:Gholdengo::Ferrothorn::Heatran::Skarmory::Excadrill::Scizor-Mega:
This week we decided to just take advantage of Steel's insane immunity core and ability to outlast until a late game Scizor or Excadrill can clean up what's left. The addition of Gholdengo made this strategy so much better by being able to completely deny any sort of hazard clearing methods. To have a better distribution of hazards, Skarmory was used over Corviknight or Celesteela. This essentially frees up a slot on Heatran, your only other SR setter beside Ferrothorn who would be setting Spikes more likely. That means Heatran can fit Stone Edge to check major threats like Charizard-Mega-Y and Volcarona.

Week 4:
:Sableye-Mega::Shedinja::Skeledirge::Brambleghast::Gholdengo::Spectrier:
This was the only week we didn't build a lot. We decided on Ghost but didn't know what playstyle we wanted (HO, BO, Balance or even Stall). We ended up taking a Semi Stall team I built in the past (again with ASKid679) and updated it for the tour. The immunity core of Ghost rivals Steel, but is more easily worn down. Because of that, the last slot was more offensive with Scarf Spectrier to snowball against a team of worn down Pokemon in the endgame. (Loaded into Dark and lost on the saddest 25% roll).

Week 5:
Sadly this was where our tour ended but I had a great time battling a good friend and building partner. We decided to do a Bo3 just for fun. I am so bad at prepping for people I talk to and build with a lot so I had my team roll a random type and tell me what to build for the week. Shout out to sealoo, Taka and kDCA for that.

:Tapu Lele::Jirachi::Slowbro::Victini::Alakazam-Mega::Latios:
First was Psychic, specifically a Mega Alakazam Psychic. This was a challenge because not using Mega Gallade is just so wrong. Most of the core is standard with Tapu Lele and Slowbro to check Dark types, Victini to deal with Steel and Jirachi to deal with Fairy. With a non-Choiced Victini combined with Slowbro and Jirachi we had a great momentum core to get as many chances to bring Alakazam in as possible. Lastly we have Latios, which this set is my favorite thing I built the entire season. In testing we tried a standard Scarf or various Z offensive sets until I noticed a consistent pattern of threats that just flat out dunked the team. Mystical Fire lures in Heatran (the only thing stopping Victini from getting a KO every turn vs. Steel), Draco Meteor and Defog bring in common trapper/specially defensive Pokemon like Muk-A and Slowking-G. A mixed set with Groundium Z was able to OHKO all of these checks. Shoutout to Neko for helping with the Latios

Next we rolled Ground which was lucky for me since the team from Week 3 didn't get used so I didn't have to build again for this.

:Froslass::Blacephalon::Zoroark-Hisui::Mimikyu::Spectrier::Gholdengo:
Lastly was Ghost which we also rolled for playstyle and hit HO. I had a build from day 1 of Gen 9 that I updated to better reflect the meta at the time. To start any HO team you have your hazard suicide lead in Froslass. Originally I used Ceruledge as the Fire type but swapped to Blacephalon for most snowballing ability and just about the best speed control option Ghost has. Mimikyu and Gholdengo were pretty straightforward setup sets with Gholdengo using Air Ballon to check the lack of Ground checks on the team. Omniboost Z moves are broken and anyone who denies that is crazy. With it's great coverage and typing, Zoroark-H could take advantage of that with the added bonus of being able to nuke with Z Hyper Voice in a pinch. Lastly, my favorite set, Sub Salac Spectrier. The fact that it gets Draining Kiss is ludicrous and makes this set so much better being able to set up and recover HP as it sweeps in the late game, which is exactly what ended up happening.

All these teams are pretty much obsolete with the release of Home but I still wanted to post them so Monotype can get more exposure and to try and inspire more players in building and expanding the Monotype community within National Dex.

Last edited:

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
:landorus: :clodsire: :great-tusk: :ting-lu: :quagsire: :iron-treads: Mixed NP Landorus
Honestly I find it interesting that Landorus is still allowed in the tier. You can overwhelm many teams with any set and is pretty easy to fit.

:tapu-fini: :rotom-wash: :greninja: :gastrodon: :toxapex: :urshifu: ID+CM Fini - Payapex
Felt like using something different this week and came up with Iron Defense + Calm Mind Fini. It's an instawin against matchups like Dragon. Payapa in Pex was added after Madara swept me with Espathra (who got banned right after the game) but is still useful for the Psychic matchup which is pretty hard for the team.

:tapu-koko: :rotom-wash: :raichu-alola: :iron-hands: :zapdos: :zeraora: Electric
Basic af, most of the sets are the standard ones.

I didn't build the other two teams I used so no point on posting them. This tier is pretty fun even though Gen 8 was better. Hope to see NDM in NDPL too.

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
Just before I get into my teams, s/o to Jho and Milo for drafting me for team UK and the rest of the lads on the team. Shame that we couldn't make it to semis, I feel like I had more to give for Monotype. I would also say I am satisfied with my record for my first Natdex tour. Considering that 2 of my losses were to Espathra cheese (which we banned the following week) and I didn't roll the right matchup in the other, winning the other games against competent players was good. In any case, onto the teams.

Week 1 vs Tico [BRA] W
:landorus: :gastrodon: :ting-lu: :iron-treads: :great-tusk: :garchomp:

Going into first week of NDWC, I was like "lemme just bring a good type" which is a pretty good mindset I kept for most of the weeks. Ground came to my attention because Landorus-I is pretty strong in this format but it wasn't even the MVP of this game, it was the Scarf Iron Treads, which matches well into the Fairy that Tico brought. There wasn't really any testing done, I just use the teams I typically build for laddering and see what happens. To explain the team a little, you kinda get Landorus in, force a switch and click Gravity if you can depending on if they have a ground immune then proceed to wallbreak. Gastrodon is pretty much required as a water immunity and the rest is standard ground.

Week 2 vs Maroon [MWW] L
:altaria-mega: :kommo-o: :garchomp: :latias: :duraludon: :kyurem:

I don't typically use dragon, never really a fan but I thought it would do okay but I match into Espathra psychic + Lele and lose instantly. Not much to say about this game to be fair, Dragon doesn't really have a shot vs Lele plus Espathra literally got banned because it packed up people (myself included) this week of NDWC

Week 3 vs Dorron [SPA] W
:raichu-alola: :rotom-wash: :tapu-koko: :iron-hands: :zapdos: :zeraora:

This was the game of all time. Dorron and I brought the same exact 6 and this is a game I'll definitely remember. Going into this week, I wanted to use Electric since I know it can be a strong type and frankly, I wasn't expecting Ground to be brought or Dragon so Electric should match well into anything they brought. The game got a bit haxy but I think every turn made had to be made or else I lost. So we brought the same 6, what was so different that put me ahead of Dorron? Well discounting the hax of the game, I think my Zapdos being offensive to properly threaten the opposing Rotom-Wash and Zapdos and my Raichu being LO instead of Z move gave it more consistent wallbreaking throughout the game. I was also this close to bringing Specs Koko, which definitely might've been worse for me but I'm unsure.

Week 4 vs AtraX Madara [EUR] L
:iron-valiant: :iron-hands: :great-tusk: :kommo-o: :gallade-mega: :terrakion:

I was confident going Fighting this week. I was laddering around with it and I was having a good time. Unfortunately, I load into Psychic HO and there's not really a matchup to be had here if Victini just sets up Z-Celebrate. I was also considering bringing Water, it definitely would've been a closer game but Celebi is something Water is afraid of but yeah. L game.

Week 5 vs gorex [A+O] W
:pelipper: :greninja: :swampert-mega: :toxapex: :manaphy: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

I had no idea whether we were making it past group stages or not so I decided to go my favourite type to use in monotype which is a pretty solid one in the meta. Now the name of the team is "Not walking wake rain", the original team had Walking Wake but I decided to add Manaphy instead because I feel like it fits better on rain as a special attacker than WW. Now gorex loads Dragon and at preview, I was kinda worried since Dragon resists water lol but Scarf Greninja definitely came in clutch because Protean Ice Beam threatens every mon. gorex did miss an Icicle Crash on Pelipper which is unfortunate but Pelipper was not ohkod by Icicle Crash and if I had gotten flinched then I'm the one that would've gotten lucked.

Like style.css mentioned, these are all teams before the release of Home (week 5 home was out but the week started before home's released) so most are outdated (the water one probably still works). National Dex Monotype is a nice alternative to current gen 9 thanks to Z moves and older pokemon and its biggest appeal is that unlike SV monotype where a good amount of types are below average, there's a nice balance to be had in NDM. Rock is still plagued by its fundamental drawbacks but the mon pool makes it feel like you actually have a chance vs some types and the same applies to other types that aren't exactly "top tier" like Grass and Bug.

sasha

one eyed owl
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey all, I've been playing National Dex basically since its release, participating in every single National Dex team tour (bar NDWC 1) whether it be as player or manager since NDPL 1, although I've done a lot more managing. Getting to play through a consistent season was fun and ending regular season 5-1 also felt pretty good! Just wanted to dump my teams / go through my throught process each week. Unfortunately choked my TB game but ggs to East and gl in finals. Overall I am happy with my record and proud of myself for building some teams that are usable, something I've never really done outside of Monotype.

Before the tour started, I had played one game of Gen 9 ND, where I made an Eterrain team with Valiant and Moth on day 1, used it in a friendly, and then didn't play at all until NDWC rolled around. I built two teams as a basis to get into building, one being rain and one I used later on in the tour so I'll show that one later.

Pre-Tour:
:pelipper: :urshifu: :swampert-mega: :ferrothorn: :iron valiant: :zapdos:
There was nothing really extraordinary with this team, it was just rain but didn't have Barra. I do like this team though and SD Shifu is really fucking strong lol...it won a lot of test games but I just never brought it because I didn't want to. Tera Steel Shifu avoids Toxic and Fairy + Psychic moves all in one so I think it's probably the best tera on it.

Week 1: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-689981

Week 1 I played Latiasboy, I didn't know anything about them besides the fact that they won a seasonal or something. Looking at their scout I (coincidentally) noticed that they were pretty weak to electric terrain cheese so I was like fuck it I'll bring the team I made day 1 of the meta, lol.
:tapu koko: :iron moth: :raichu-alola: :hawlucha: :landorus-therian: :medicham-mega:
Again, nothing crazy with this team besides the Alolachu ig? I'm primarily a Monotype player so the inspiration was just that it's really good in terrain in Monotype so I figured I'd bring it for fun + unexpected factor I suppose. S/o Isza for saving this week as he told me to make Lucha Tera Steel which came in clutch.

Week 2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-691360

Week 2 was vs. Banbadoro, and I knew they won week 1 with an...interesting team and I know they play a lot of mons in general but they had virtually no National Dex scout and I hate prepping off of no usage, so I was like whatever I'll bring rain, not my team so I'm not gonna post it but yeah, no scout = bring some bullshit. Admittedly I shouldn't have won this game but my opponent misplayed which granted me the win so I don't feel too great about this one.

Week 3: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-693014

By week 3 I was kind of burned out and I personally didn't want to build for myself and I was confident that I would win, so I asked Isza for a HO team he used against me in a test and I just used it....not much to say.

Week 4: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-694456

Week 4 I was supposed to play adem but they got subbed out last minute, which didn't change my prep at all. I noticed adem uses very standard teams and generally they just lost to boltbeam coverage minus like...random Washtoms or Ferro's on their scout. I originally was gonna use AOA Diancie but it was really annoying to build around and I realized Thundy-T does pretty much the same thing I wanted Diancie to do which was kill Torn-T + wash through the rest of adem's teams with coverage. The rest of the team is just mono setup but Tera Fight on pult is for Gambit and Tera Water on Thundy is just for an Ice resist which actually mattered in this game too.
:diancie-mega: :serperior: :kingambit: :thundurus-therian: :dragapult: :great tusk:

Week 5: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-695542

Week 5 my opponent got subbed out again and honestly I forgot what I was even scouting for tbh, but this week I used a team I had made day one of NDWC, and it's an okay team I think. Jirachi is somewhat fishy but I played into Trick Room which honestly scared me but I think I played my outs well. My original opponent iirc had a similar scout to adem, so I had just told myself to bring another HO that abused these standard teams. Iron Moth imo does this pretty well and Tera Dnite is really hard to play around so those were the two mons I tried to support the most since they dismantle standard teams really easily.
:landorus-therian: :kingambit: :lopunny-mega: :dragonite: :jirachi: :iron moth:

Semifinals: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-696420

While scouting I felt that Pex just sat on LBN's teams way too easily, so I decided I'd bring stall. On preview I thought I had a great matchup but spoiler alert: I did not! I got absolutely fucking washed LOL, it was the first time I've brought stall to a team tour game...ever, so rolling this matchup was really surprising to me and great prep from LBN. Not linking the team cuz it's just some stall team R8 posted in the bazaar.

Semifinals Tiebreak: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-697461

I noticed Isza's teams lost to thunderbolt in general minus the few ground types he used which were easily broken through anyway so I decided to make this HO team which utilizes Koko + Ival which I thought was pretty cool. I didn't perform the way I wanted to this game but it was my first time playing a tiebreak and shit happens. You lose and win as a team, don't have much to say about this game since it's kind of a fresh wound but I will say I am happy with my prep, unhappy with my play.
:samurott-hisui: :gholdengo: :iron valiant: :tapu koko: :kingambit: :dragonite:

Here are some teams I made but didn't end up bringing:
Week 1: https://pokepast.es/9e42136ebada90a4 Probably an okay premise for a team, just didn't like the way it played and it needed more work
Week 2: https://pokepast.es/cc9dcdb0d05fadd4 Stall sucks
Week 2: https://pokepast.es/222253ef3895f2ae Sun seems fine, I just sucked at building it
Week: 3: https://pokepast.es/1f818304764abf9d Stole the premise from an SMOU team from SPL, didn't like the way it played in ND so I decided to not bring it.

Some final thoughts for the tour, it was interesting to say the least. I really like the tier and I enjoy playing it but I definitely burned myself out building as much as I did. This part is gonna be kind of a doom post but National Dex has a very big ego problem. I have been playing this tier since release but only when it comes to team tours. Each time I find myself managing I find that someone has something negative to say about it, which is largely the reason I forced myself to play this season and ended 5-1, better than the records of what other people had to say about me, including the people who love to chirp but don't have the gameplay to back it up. National Dex is a great tier and it's very fun, but it's going to be meme'd if the community stays the way it does.

Shoutouts to Mamoo for the insane prep and help he provided all tour despite not being on the roster, Maroon and Adriyun for going undefeated in regular season, and Isza for letting me ask him about my builds and such. Gl to all in finals!

hello,

i threw/lost/did not win/came 2nd in all of my games, going a total of 0-3, but i learned quite a lot from my team and am happy to have participated at all. i have been told the reasons why i was picked over others, but it's still a bit surreal. i subbed a few times and was chosen to run semifinals, which was probably a mistake, but it was a great time nonetheless.

i wanted to share my teams anyway, since i was proud of a couple of 'em vs peap in semis
(not linking games i'm lazy sry)

my L teams:
:medicham-mega: :weavile: :rotom-wash: :ferrothorn: :clefable: :landorus-therian:
week 4 (SS) vs swordisbored i used Ryuji's mmedi paraspam team i'd grown quite fond of at the end of the gen. i really fucked up this game, sacking ferro early and not using scarf lando that well, though, it felt pretty awkward in our matchup. would've won in the last 2 turns if i'd remembered that mmedi does in fact kill scarf gren with 2 priority moves. whoops. gg wp

:scizor-mega: :hydreigon: :great-tusk: :mew: :tornadus-therian: :kingambit:
week 5 (SV) vs guille i tried to make a team around subplot drei since it looked good vs teams brought so far. i played even worse this week and barely remember any of it. nerves hit me hard after throwing in week 4. i think iron head tera flying gambit was probably a safer bet as well. i believe i once again sacked a very important guy (tornadus) too early. gg guille they played clean

:pelipper: :swampert-mega: :greninja: :zapdos: :dragapult: :gholdengo:
vs peap (SV) in semis i had no real choice but to c-team really hard, let's be real. it looked like surf pult and/or rain were going to do well into peap's offense. thanks to Xurkiyee for building a cool ghost spam rain team, which i modified a bit. this game was pretty close and i had a great matchup. ultimately, the extremely bulky opposing gambit and stored power fini were too much after my mistakes. yet again, you will find me sacking zapdos when pult was the play -- it was between these two and i chose wrong wcyd. even though i went out with another whimper, playing peap was the highlight of the tour for me, so thanks for the game bruv

pressure spam + lele
:great-tusk: :kyurem: :corviknight: :dragapult: :tapu-lele: :heatran:
straight up a counter team but it's pretty good, i think

arcanine-h sun w/ firium z volc
:charizard-mega-y: :volcarona: :great-tusk: :arcanine-hisui: :ceruledge: :hatterene:
a bit of a non-standard approach to sun since peap does some weird shit, fun team tho

isza poltea psyspam straight out of SS w/ minor edits xd:
:diancie-mega: :tapu-lele: :polteageist: :volcarona: :gyarados: :serperior:
psyspam HO is pretty good into most offense MUs i think

some gen 8 OU ghost spam that looked good/fun (needed some edits):
:aegislash: :hydreigon: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :ferrothorn: :blacephalon:
ghost spam + covert ferro seemed kinda good into the 0 ghost resist + gargle teams they'd been running

thanks very much to sasha, mamoo, and all the rest of the us mid/west squad! sasha helped a ton w/ scouting and prep (we ran a million test games, it was great), mamoo kept the team vibes in check and helped whenever and however he could. s/o avarice also for co-picking me. being a part of this team was awesome, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

p.s.: no adriyun?

Last edited:

pannu

beyond the farthest stars
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
i dont feel like making a big write up for my teams but heres a big fat paste of every team i built (for myself or stareal; includes unused & untested teams) this ssn https://pokepast.es/c7f692668a56dbf8 if u want to open a team i used in a match just ctrl-f one of the nicknames i used :blobthumbsup:

s/o dca adem chris hidin ez avery and anyone else not on my team who i played tests with or discussed prep with, lets win it next time europe.

Last edited:
Hello again, my name is Isza better known as Kaiser/Shali. If you're unfamiliar with me, I'm a tournament player who has enjoyed NDOU for the last 2 years. This year my team won NDWC, and it was an adventure. I originally wasn't going to play SV but seeing the quality of builds on our team, I figured I'd have to learn it. Being the main OU support(again), I had ALOT on my hands learning and building a new meta. These are all sample submissions and for the sake of quality, only showing teams that have been Used this tournament. (wins and losses)

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/post-ndpl-ii-set-team-dump.3693634/#post-9055301 NDPL II Team Dump
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/national-dex-ou-team-bazaar.3658452/page-10#post-9235302 NDWC II Team Dump
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ndpl-iii-set-team-dump.3709950/#post-9395719 NDPL III Team Dump

:tapu koko: :landorus-therian: :iron valiant: :hawlucha: :iron moth: :scizor-mega:
https://pokepast.es/e637ab793983b73e
Having no scout on my opponents, my game plan going into this tour was to build solid teams and pilot well. Koko+ Val seemed super cool and I wanted to build around it, with the help of my teammates this is what I came up with. Eject lando was a great way to get my terrain abusers in and almost always worked unless knock off. Iron Val+Moth was a super dangerous combo, hitting most of the meta with its diverse coverage. The Scizor set is very dope, outspeeding non choice kartana by 1 point after a trailblaze(Helps vs rotom, gastro, and pex if no scald burn)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-689650
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-694456
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-691043

:pelipper: :swampert-Mega: :ferrothorn: :zapdos: :barraskewda: :kingambit:
https://pokepast.es/dc95d8868a7a4453
Nothing much to say here, didn't know what to use week 2 and just decided to rain. Really cookie cutter, however I have the same opinion on pert in SV as I do in SS which is Sub>Flip turn. pivoting out one of your best breakers seems wack, and you're better off firing off attacks.

:Charizard-mega y: :kingambit: :clefable: :great tusk: :rotom-wash: :kartana:
https://pokepast.es/8f6480763f26ddb1
Made this for Kyo week 2 although he changed some sets. Zard Y teams tend to fold to lop a lot, so I decided to have Flefable make an appearance. The star of this team is scarf tusk, seeing how unexpected it is+seeing the atk boost in sun throws people off guard. It also hits reasonably hard, making it a very nice late game cleaner. SD Z Kart is for breaking power and rotom for removal. AV Gambit helps with Pult and the boys.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1858293259

:tapu-lele: :landorus-therian: :volcarona: :hatterene: :polteageist: :necrozma:
https://pokepast.es/fddf05b19ed0be29
Took the psyspam concept from SPL. Built this with flame and passed it to some friends in later weeks. Lando getting taunt+hat denies hazards really well. Volcarona is the star of the show, nearly having a 2HKO on the entire tier after a quiver. Necrozma is a niche add, although later on we replaced it with Sneasler. Very good into anything that isn't sand, other terrains, or tera dark clodsire. https://pokepast.es/d35a470def4537da Updated version
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-691208
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-693014
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-698403

:Great tusk: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :toxapex: :clefable: :latias-mega:
https://pokepast.es/83af93bb457d5ffc
Mega Latias is slightly underrated. I don't think its great but def decent into some structures. Honestly this is a remake of the fade Mega Latias+ Z kart team from SS, although this time we got AV Pex for Valiant this time around. Greak Tusk is needed as a gambit check, and the rest is standard p much. I lost with this team although I think I played fine, a reminder to stay away from the bulkier structures.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-692708

:Landorus-therian: :diancie-mega: :kingambit: :suicune: :cresselia: :volcarona:
https://pokepast.es/b37a96bb088bf2a1
Can't fix what isn't broken lol, Another remake of a SS team I built in NDPL. The idea this time however, is to stack wincons after hazards stacking. Not a lot of teams can beat the combination of Volcarona, Suicune, and Cress. Diancie getting spikes means you're able to hazard stack alot better which IMO makes all the difference in some match ups. I'd say overall this is a solid team, just have to be careful with choosing what wincons win in specific situations.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-693545
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-696222

:landorus-therian: :heatran: :rotom-wash: :kingambit: :tornadus-therian: :iron valiant:
https://pokepast.es/99ea885455cb50bc
With more info on my opponents, I was able to make a counterstyle. Week 4 we played US South, and we said week 2 that the picks vs them were either Bax, Kyurem, and sub plot rotom wash. I picked rotom since LBN picked kyurem seeing as the hippo skarm structures have no real way to stop it unless you run something jank. I don't think this team is great however it worked although it was because of a bad choke from my opponent.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-694137

SS

:slowbro-mega: :zapdos: :toxapex: :aegislash: :gliscor::chansey:
https://pokepast.es/7fa236e1e476d9bd
FINCH BIG STALL, a remake of my stall team from NDPL. I noticed that my team lost to Medicham, taunt hp fire lele, and some other wacky stuff. Adding aegislash and slowbro not only helps with Medicham, but with tapu lele as well. Toxic+Swords Dance+Shadow claw beats every single mega latias set in the tier, while also not ever losing to reuiniclus unless cm+knock/shadowball.(not sets) I decided I wanted this vs molly because despite him using fatter teams, he didn't take his time in longer games and figured we could trip him up.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1882801336-jxtmisim9mhfthdr7la9t8vhrvhvqeapw

:tyranitar-mega: :excadrill: :garchomp: :toxapex: :clefable: :celesteela:
https://pokepast.es/9babdf8821900b35
Built this for finals, took inspiration from a structure I used in stour semis. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-696395 Always thought Mega Ttar looked great into Pannu seeing as he loves his latis and 90% of the time it always has ice beam. Took it a step further and decided to use double sd to have maximum breaking power vs any structure hr brought. Clef/pex/steela are the defensive pivots which cover most of the tier. Ended up getting a really good match up and smashing
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nationaldex-699308

Always fun to build in this tier, as long as you have an open mind possibilities are basically endless. Hopefully NDPL can inspire more creativity from me, but for now thanks for reading. :heart:

peap

asleep
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Week 1
First off, thanks to everyone on South for a great tour, you all were amazing and a joy to be around for the past 1.5 months, so im gonna offer a post with explanations behind what I brought and other teams considered

W1 - N/A

W2 vs AmyQuaris :hippowdon: :skarmory: :toxapex: :lopunny-mega: :mandibuzz: :garganacl:

first game so i wanted to play it safe, loaded my most comfortable and most experienced team. I really considered no other builds this week, I knew thugnar would probably get me on the board. Got a fairly easy mu in the game and to Mandibuzz haters dismay he went crazy

W3 vs akarihikari :buzzwole: :garganacl: :mandibuzz: :gliscor: :hippowdon: :lopunny-mega:

In my 2/4 of my opponent’s games, they loaded up Koko/Rilla/Hands so I wanted to bring double ground and abuse broken sd scor. Buzzwole was a pick bc its rly good into Rillaboom and covers Zama unlike Skarm
Sadly lost this one to some misfortune with my glisc, but was a fun and close game

W4 vs Isza :medicham-mega: :zapdos: :hippowdon: :skarmory: :gholdengo: :kartana:(Make ghold fairy if u intend to use)

i wasnt loading fat this week 100%, knew a cteam would be coming to some extent but i brought the same team as gamer did vs Ryuji, just edited to have Ghold over Tran bc Isza had been loading a stall team in room tours all week, which I knew he wouldnt load but wanted to be prepared nonetheless. Sadly, I made my Ghold tera ghost instead of fairy which is what i usually run and it cost me my Ghold vs gambit when it probably couldve won endgame. This was an incredibly fun game, and was very intense at almost every turn but I sold endgame because i was playing too fast and thought he’d double washtom on obvious Zapdos, but there was realistically no reason to not uturn. Ggwp to Isza, that was probably the most fun game ive played in the tour scene so far.

W5 vs greentea - :sableye-mega: :hydreigon: :clodsire: :gastrodon: :skarmory: :gholdengo:

Felt like bringing the super stall my good friend gamer but swag built, I hadnt considered what to bring till 20min before game time. I put stall and thugnar in a random list generator and got Thugnar so i brought that game1 but sadly due to internet issues my opponent DC’d, so we agreed to replay with different teams. Had a nice mu with loading Gastrodon into the presumed HippoSkarm check (sub np washtom) and was smooth sailing from there.

I wouldve liked to go positive and week3 was probably the most salty ive been over mons ever but this was a very fun tour and that can be attributed to awesome teammates. 2-3 isnt ideal but South will be back for NDWC4 :toast:

here are some other teams i considered loading

:buzzwole: :zapdos: :tapu-lele: :ferrothorn: :mandibuzz: :hippowdon: fly Z zap is a very potent breaker that deserves more shine, rest of the team is fairly normal but this was considered every week besides week 2

:hawlucha: :tapu-koko: :scizor-mega: :baxcalibur: :moltres-galar: :iron-valiant: my take on eterrain ho, tested this a ton and was consistently fun and good, goltres is a huge sleeper mon if you dont wanna spam gambit every HO

:tapu-lele: :volcarona: :kingambit: :medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: someone (TDR i think?) loaded this vs Peap w1 and sadly lost due to Fire Blast miss iirc, i actually hadnt updated this team since Cyc ban but i saw TDR put washtom on it and agreed it was a good fit. Awesome team, definitely one of my favorites

Good luck in semis France, EU, NEC, and USW :blobpex:
this is actually good to see, I was haunted by week 1 and whether I got lucky. Turns out I just got near min roll on the Modest Volc with my +2 Iron Val. My thought process was if it’s offensive volc I have 80+% chance to kill, if it’s defensive they can’t revenge back in one turn and I should minimize contact/flame body oops which is why I went for the raw knock and we ended up in a weird edge scenario

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1853939970-b0a9fzr0zvzih1k6aak9q6bvpju6ugxpw
+2 252 Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 300-354 (96.4 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

My prep was Tera Steel Iron Valiant is dummy hard to revenge, let’s just remove kingambit, no one uses Magnezone that would be kinda funny: https://pokepast.es/8adce5d58bfa3c2f

Week 2
The gewwge
I wanted to use a Substitute mon to gain momentum vs pivot spam and also noticed a Washtom tendency, which Bax eats. Sun in general is a very strong play style right now and in extremis I see Chinese players using 4 atk modest overheat yard on ladder

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-691826
https://pokepast.es/ace54f87f02df59d

Week 3 I took off

Week 4 I came back and got smacked by Tera Ghost lando, great pick into me. I made a very questionable lead play saving my Glimmora for toxic spikes vs a lucha team?
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-694672

Week 5
I was annoyed that my wonderful team lost last week, but fortunately I lost so hard that my sets were mostly unrevealed! I just brought the same thing and thought I would lose on preview due to the ghost vulnerability and Rapidshifu > Glimmora dynamic but it worked out with BU tusk. As a bulky offense this team has multiple setup wincons and counts on the raw power of Medi + Hazards to break through unaware mons and Skarmory. Ash-Greninja is “speed control” :pimp:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-695643
https://pokepast.es/e6630416c5d12315
This is also what I mostly used for LT quals to get to 2017 elo. Still doesn’t beat Chris fat

Semis
Looking at my usage I definitely had a pattern of setup sweepers but realized I could get cteamed by ghosts and such. Celesteela was also looking like a nice blanket check again with Magnezone not existing. Slowking-Galar is really cool this gen for having Chilly Reception + strong Future Sight but not cool due to Kingambit so I added a Colbur berry but it still dies to chip and when a couple mons have fallen. I filled out the rest of the bulky offense with Lop and Gambit and chose Fini to be my setup wincon with the added benefit of Stored Power clearing some Unaware would-be checks.

Unfortunately I loaded into rain and got swamped, as sh0shin mentioned he sacked Zapdos when Dpult was the useless one. So Fini had enough space to turn momentum back around.
Shoutout glowking for getting a bunch of chilly receptions off anyway

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-696771
https://pokepast.es/be3c8d4a59e274b1

Finals
Well I had played Entrocefalo twice in seasonal, winning first and losing second, and I also saw him sometimes on my ladder alts. I think a lot of ppl mentioned cteaming me and my offense usage even in this thread so I wanted to surprise!! I brought a Scream Tail fat which was a POS in the actual game but don’t regret it as it holds a lot of matchups (esp vs Yard, Lele, Medi) together. I also thought Kyurem was relatively unexplored and had great offensive coverage vs his balances.

But again their prep was really good and I didn’t think I would have a high winning chance into Skeledirge and Mega Scizor. Luckily I got some 50/50s in the early game against his Scizor + Dirge core. I felt I would eventually lose to this cycle w/o hazards and noticed he had maybe one potential hazard control mon (lando) which also had to be his Rock setter, but seemed more of the latter, so I traded Hippo for Rocks vs Scizor and promptly got trapped. Still, I don’t think Hippo would have helped much vs Dirge as if I got burned on switchin, he could easily recover/wear me down with Lando, SlowG, and Scizor. No, to beat dirge I needed to be proactive with Kyurem.

The next bit was dicey but I chipped Dirge into Lop range and got two layers of Spikes up as well to mitigate Scizor. I eventually sacked Scream Tail and got Lop in to start cleaning. Endgame was questionable vs his scarf Valiant as I allowed Dirge to get Slack Off. More optimally I should have sacked Lop into Valiant and let Dengo revenge, with Skarmory being another sack to scout the choice and make sure Ghold + Tera Fairy could finish. But my Ghold was also bulky and would do plenty of damage to Skeledirge, which couldn’t switch out without his Valiant dying as well. doing !math 1-0.7*5 to see my shadow ball drop chances I felt pretty good and fortunately proc’ed them for the win

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-699228
https://pokepast.es/fa228ad2d77e761c

Overall went 5-1 with 1-2 matches won through opponents not playing optimally + luck and 1 dropped cuz I was suboptimal. This year was more competitive and enjoyable than last NDWC where we also went to finals and I made 3-1. I enjoyed the experience a lot, learned from my teammates, and Kaiser’s management/nighttime rants about Smogon protagonists made me feel something. Shoutout everyone and spellcaster lbn kyo lameflame fc finch 3d elfu booty redgoop and the other helpers whose discord handles I couldn’t figure out

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)