National Dex (ND-OU) Trick Room offensive

Hello, i'm presenting here a trick room team, while it's not made around a singular poke, you can think that marowak and mawile are the ones who shines the most in terms of consistence.

233-0.png

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam/Magic Coat
- Recover
- Teleport

Althought it doesn't seem, Porygon2 has a main work here, he cast trick room and then pivots with teleport, then attackers can safely enter at the field.
Trace is a very important ability that need some attention, it can save MANY games even if you don't notice it.
Trace allows porygon2 to safely switch into Heatran and don't get stuck with magma storm, since you'll trace Flash fire, also it can abuse from pokemons like Slowking and Toxapex who run Regenerator as ability, Kommo-o who runs Soundproof casually can be a free switch for porygon to get momentum and control trick room turn spread, gliscor let's you trace poison heal which usually does the same, and there's also pokes with water absorb like Volcanium even tho it's not a very used poke.
Magic Coat can be run in higher elos instead of ice beam who serves as cheap damage and i prefer it 100%, it allows porygon2 to deal with Heatran and Tapu-Fini trappers, also can control some hazard entries from foes like Moldbreaker Excadrill at early game.
As for EV spreads, it's not calculated but i prefer to invest in HP/DEF more since metagame circulates around physical attackers.
Counters:

Mega-Lopunny
Lopunny counters the whole team with fake out abuse who literally makes you lose 1 turn of trick room, but also treats to OHKO non healthy porygon with stab Close Combat/ High Jump Kick.
Zeraora
Zeraora can run both Knock Off and Close Combat, both of them treat severly porygon.
Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn's who run knock off are very obnoxious i'd say, thorn is slower than everyone else in the team and can knock off Porygon eviolite and Marowak Thick Club

858-0.png

Hatterene @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Misty Explosion
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic

Hatterene is the queen of trick room, but here she's a suicide lead, focus sash let you cast trick room in most cases and magic bounce allows hazard control at early game, misty explosion is your main choice because you don't want to waste any of the precious turns of trick room and do the job of a steamroller with your killers, BUT, you can control the game flow staying at the field and spamming your skills in foes like Corviknight, Ferrothorn, Toxapex and etc, also Gliscor gets heavy damage from her, but i prefer to explode agains't gliscor predicted switchs.
Mystical Fire is your main coverage but i discourage not exploding with hatterene since you lose precious turns, ferrothorn is the one who i think it's good to get rid of at early game, since Ferrothorn can run knock off which is very bad for Porygon-2 and Marowak-Alola.
Psychic let's you 2HKO physical defensive toxapex if i'm not wrong.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1385186926-u9e8gn5c36275aj0o5nq6vtr2f950hipw
That match is a example where you don't want to explode and prefer to weak the team counters.
And it's also a example of how much you relie on predict, which is pretty hard because you don't know how good is your opponent
(I droped to low ladder but i was at a higher ladder, i'm constantly testing new teams)

778-0.png

Mimikyu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Def / 56 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 8 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Curse
- Destiny Bond

Mimikyu is a great option for trick room too, disguise let's you cast trick room in most cases, Rocky Helmet is a great option for cheap damage but mental herb can be your main choice in higher elos, since you don't want to be taunted.
EV spreads are not calculated, but mimikyu doesn't want to be super bulky because destiny bond needs to be a surprise, you don't want to cast destiny bond and survive.
Mimikyu does a great job in this team dealing with some stall pokes like toxapex with the use of curse, also let's you cast Destiny Bond vs Melmetal who's a VERY BIG threat to this team, since Trick Room has negative priority and Double Iron Bash flinches you.
There's a explicit rule over here, if there's opposite melmetal, start with mimikyu, iv/ev spreads allow you to outspeed maximum speed Melmetal without trickroom.
Shadow sneak can finish revenge killers who uses focus sash, those are a pain in the ass.

105-1 (1).png

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Thick Club is the only one choice for him.
If you think about a second advantage about the use of trick room teams is that you don't invest in speed so you can invest ev's in HP and DEF for your killers.
This guy is a real monster, rock head is a GREAT hability for him, stab flare blitz destroys any pokemon in the game with 1 swords dance, (except for those who have 4x resistance for fire or are immune) But then you have a great move who is Poltergeist and works almost as a neutral stab who does massive damage for anyone that isn't immune for it.
Swords Dance let's you OHKO even some dragons without 4x resistance to fire with the use of flare blitz.
And common switches to marowak who are Blissey and Chansey become a free setup for swords dance letting you kill 2 opposite pokes if everything goes right.
Earthquake is your main coverage choice, it works well for toxapex althought doesn't OHKO Toxa without swords dance, and OHKO heatran, also OHKO Mega-Diance too and some other foes who are not bulky enought to survive a 500+ atk non stab earthquake.
So, who does marowak fear?
Ferrothorn is the major threat, since it's a slower foe and can knock off marowak thick club, same goes for toxapex even tho toxa usually only 3HKO him with scald some toxapex run Knock off which excludes marowak from the game.
Garchomp survives a non boosted poltergeist but that's all.
Tyranitar survives anything without swords dance boost, even Earthquake.

303-0.png

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Brick Break

Mawile is our mega poke here :))
Intimidate let's you switch into some attacks without the use of teleport, also if you saved mawile for the late game for some reason, it can be a very useful skill, intimidate obviously evolves to Huge-Power which lets mawile get +600 atk without boost, swords dance let's you wallbreak some tanky foes, play rough is your stab choice here, works pretty well and OHKO without swords dance neutral foes like Tapu-Koko, thunder punch is very important to 2HKO full def corviknight without swords dance and toxapex, brick break is better than fire fang IMO because heatran is a very spamable poke, it let's you ohko sp def heatran without swords dance.
Mawile can work pretty well as a all out attacker without swords dance and one more coverage move.
EV'S spreads are not calculated but work pretty well.

809-0.png

Melmetal @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Talk about something really broken, yeah, you're probaly talking about banded melmetal, he has a great synergy with marowak who evaporates steel types and a great spamable attaack stab with 150 base attack (cuz of iron fist), it even destroy some foes who resist to steel, usually OHKO anyone who doesn't resist to steel, and has a nice coverage too, max HP ev's a prefered to boost def/spc def simultaneously so that he tanks 1 or 2 non stab sp atk fire attacks. Ice punch usually let's you past thru dragonite, garchomp and etc... But banded double iron bash actually OHKO non defensive dragonite even with multiscale. Superpower is a nice coverage for heatran and ferrothorn simultaneously, thunder punch let's you deal with skarmory and corviknight, usually 2HKO them.

And that's it, i'll add more info later im just tired of writing here.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGA

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello friend!
This looks like a really solid Trick Room team, although there are a few tidbits here and there that really prevent it from shining:

:porygon2: :hatterene: :marowak-alola: :mawile-mega: :melmetal:

These 5 I believe are the best picks in your trick room team, and work extremely well together, although :mimikyu: I feel is a weak link for most Trick Room teams.

I would suggest replacing Mimikyu with a Tapu Bulu:

:tapu-bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

This is a Pokemon that i feel is integral to Trick Room right now, and works really well in covering a Ground-type weakness Trick Room has, as well as breaking the likes of Corviknight and Skarmory for its teammates.

Set Changes:
:porygon2: ->
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Recover / Magic Coat
- Teleport

These EVS maximise its Physical bulk to check the likes of Lando T as well as Garchomp, and the Special Bulk isnt needed much. Ice Beam is much needed on Porygon so that it doesnt become too passive. Recover means lasts much longer for TR teams, while Magic Coat makes it more short term and offensive.

:hatterene: ->

Hatterene (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish
- Mystical Fire
- Misty Explosion

Healing Wish is extremely useful to support its teammates by giving them a second life, as well as Max Hp to maximise its bulk.

:marowak-alola:

Earthquake -> Bonemerang

Breaks Sashes as well as isnt reduced damage under Grassy Terrain

:melmetal: ->

Melmetal @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

A Choice Banded set is really bad in Trick Room, as its easily pivotted around, a life orb set means it is much harder to be scouted and can break much better for its teammates.

:mawile-mega: ->

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch / Brick Break
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

4 Attacks Mega Mawile is amazing under trick room, and functions in the same way as melmetal, utilising amazing coverage to break holes in teams.

:melmetal: :porygon2: :mawile-mega: :hatterene: :marowak-alola: :tapu-bulu:

Other Options: Cresselia can be used over Porygon 2 to give another one of your mons a second life, as well as a generally more offensive TR team, and you can put it over bulu to also give another mons another life + another TR setter, although it makes the team much more passive.

Hope you like the team!

Hello friend!
This looks like a really solid Trick Room team, although there are a few tidbits here and there that really prevent it from shining:

:porygon2: :hatterene: :marowak-alola: :mawile-mega: :melmetal:

These 5 I believe are the best picks in your trick room team, and work extremely well together, although :mimikyu: I feel is a weak link for most Trick Room teams.

I would suggest replacing Mimikyu with a Tapu Bulu:

:tapu-bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

This is a Pokemon that i feel is integral to Trick Room right now, and works really well in covering a Ground-type weakness Trick Room has, as well as breaking the likes of Corviknight and Skarmory for its teammates.

Set Changes:
:porygon2: ->
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Recover / Magic Coat
- Teleport

These EVS maximise its Physical bulk to check the likes of Lando T as well as Garchomp, and the Special Bulk isnt needed much. Ice Beam is much needed on Porygon so that it doesnt become too passive. Recover means lasts much longer for TR teams, while Magic Coat makes it more short term and offensive.

:hatterene: ->

Hatterene (F) @ Focus Sash
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish
- Mystical Fire
- Misty Explosion

Healing Wish is extremely useful to support its teammates by giving them a second life, as well as Max Hp to maximise its bulk.

:marowak-alola:

Earthquake -> Bonemerang

Breaks Sashes as well as isnt reduced damage under Grassy Terrain

:melmetal: ->

Melmetal @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

A Choice Banded set is really bad in Trick Room, as its easily pivotted around, a life orb set means it is much harder to be scouted and can break much better for its teammates.

:mawile-mega: ->

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch / Brick Break
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

4 Attacks Mega Mawile is amazing under trick room, and functions in the same way as melmetal, utilising amazing coverage to break holes in teams.

:melmetal: :porygon2: :mawile-mega: :hatterene: :marowak-alola: :tapu-bulu:

Other Options: Cresselia can be used over Porygon 2 to give another one of your mons a second life, as well as a generally more offensive TR team, and you can put it over bulu to also give another mons another life + another TR setter, although it makes the team much more passive.

Hope you like the team!
I really feel like mimikyu isn't the best option BUT, it can catch offguard ppl with destiny bond, foes like melmetal who are leads in opposing teams and curse works well with melmetal double iron bash to smash oponents who are using substitute, but i can try tapu bulu, and as your said my team has great problems with ground weakness, it's quite a hard thing to fix.
I already tried cresselia too, cresselia is ultra bulky and lunar dance is very useful if used correctly.
The boomerang tip is very good, i forgot boomerang has the same effect as high horsepower, ty for the idea that will help alot.
4 attacks mawile is a good option and works as you said.

My buddy, i have tested hoopa unbound using two sets, and i ask your help to optmize him
720_f2.png

Item choice: I think i would choose macho brace to outspeed common walls such as thorn and toxa.or a berry for bug attacks since u-turn is spammable in every team
Moveset: Hoopa has one of the highest SpA from the game, and my team doesn't have a single offensive SpA pokemon, with 170 base SpA he doesn't depend on any items to do aditional damage, and hoopa has nasty plot :).
Due to lack of special coverage u can run him mixed and i think it still works pretty well.

Dark pulse + psychic
while dark pulse will hit almost any steel type, psychic still hit fairy types and alot of other ones as neutral.

I need ideas about coverage, what do you suggest? i think nasty plot is core for him.

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really feel like mimikyu isn't the best option BUT, it can catch offguard ppl with destiny bond, foes like melmetal who are leads in opposing teams and curse works well with melmetal double iron bash to smash oponents who are using substitute, but i can try tapu bulu, and as your said my team has great problems with ground weakness, it's quite a hard thing to fix.
I already tried cresselia too, cresselia is ultra bulky and lunar dance is very useful if used correctly.
The boomerang tip is very good, i forgot boomerang has the same effect as high horsepower, ty for the idea that will help alot.
4 attacks mawile is a good option and works as you said.

My buddy, i have tested hoopa unbound using two sets, and i ask your help to optmize him
View attachment 365514
Item choice: I think i would choose macho brace to outspeed common walls such as thorn and toxa.or a berry for bug attacks since u-turn is spammable in every team
Moveset: Hoopa has one of the highest SpA from the game, and my team doesn't have a single offensive SpA pokemon, with 170 base SpA he doesn't depend on any items to do aditional damage, and hoopa has nasty plot :).
Due to lack of special coverage u can run him mixed and i think it still works pretty well.

Dark pulse + psychic
while dark pulse will hit almost any steel type, psychic still hit fairy types and alot of other ones as neutral.

I need ideas about coverage, what do you suggest? i think nasty plot is core for him.
To be honest I am not too big on Hoopa in TR, as I feel its speed is a bit too fast, but something cool you could try is substitute + metronome , its a really effective set that shreds fatter teams:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Metronome
Ability: Magician
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

A normal Nasty Plot + the above 3 attacks also works fine, but in general I dont think its that solid on Trick Room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)