Nature vs Nurture

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really like that post, flareblitz. I see a flaw in the logic though- you are looking at one character of potential and not nature as a reactive force. What I mean by this is that in each example the child is still reacting because of its innate nature. As a result of the stimulus, the nature shapes the personality around it based on the laid down framework.
I believe you're failing to take into account aspects of nature that don't involve any elements of personal interaction. That is, if a child is born into a community where there is lead into the water, the child's "reaction" to this event is reduced almost to irrelevance (unless there is some genetic factor I am unaware of that grants immunity to lead poisoning), simply due to the much higher magnitude of influence the factor that it couldn't possibly control has on its life.

I agree that nurture can trigger those kind of profound effects, you're right, but what those profound effects are is based on the nature. It's basically an old philosophical argument: "Anything a creature does is within it's nature to do so because it is doing it." So in this "nature" I include reactions to the stimulus.
I believe that some reactions to external stimulus simply do not vary to enough of a degree that we can consider it a subset of "nature". I already gave you examples related to biological development (lead poisoning, not getting enough nutrition) but there are psychological aspects as well - if a child is steeped in a certain culture throughout his developmental years, that culture will irrevocably shape his personality, to the point where it may completely swamp any contrary impulses its genetics might have given it.

And I hate making this argument, because as I'm writing it I can think of countless counterexamples (i.e. a gay person who is raised "straight" will still have and probably act on homosexual tendencies); this is why I don't think arguing about "nature" and "nurture" is particularly productive, because both have specific areas where one will almost entirely dominate the other.

I'd argue by pointing out that larger or more extreme stimulus creates a reaction measured to its magnitude. The child being soaked in a certain culture causes a reaction to his peer group, thusly creating his personality. The culture can be seen as the stimulus and the childs reaction as nature. I still really feel that it can all be condensed into the reaction doing the lions share of work with a mandatory stimulus prodding it along.

1. Nature determines if the stimulus will be benign or cause a reaction.
True. However, whether or not the stimulus is there determines if there actually is a reaction.
2. Nature determines the severity and type of reaction to the stimulus.
Well, sort of. Let's take the example of my favorite type of cell, the neuron. The level of response to a given amount of glutamate definitely depends on the number of glutamate receptors embedded in its membrane. More receptors=more places for glutamate to bind=bigger reaction.

However, with a given number of receptors, the response to glutamate is dose-dependent. The more glutamate injected into the extracellular environment, the higher the response.

Also, the timing of glutamate release at a given synapse can also make the neuron insert more glutamate receptors into the synapse, so even the nature part is influenced by the environment.

But I guess you can also argue:
3. Nature determines how it is internalized and assimilated BASED ON the type of stimulus.
This is extremely true and not to be ignored. GABA receptors, for example, aren't going to react to glutamate. Still, the presence or absence of glutamate (and the levels of glutamate present if it is present) at a glutamatergic synapse that ultimately determine whether or not the neuron will fire.

4. Nature creates a scaffolding from the onset that guides the decision making process and reactions to stimulus.
Agreed. No problems here.
5. Therefore, nature plays the central role in personality development with the NEEDED aspect of stimulus input.
...eh. I'd say this is almost correct, except both nature and environment are both important. Prenatal conditions are something I'd say count as part of the environment, too, because it is external to the genetics of the developing fetus. I provided a paper in my earlier post saying it was around 50-50 in terms of genes and the environment for personality development, but it could be a little higher or lower. Even if it were 60-40 in favor of genetics, I'd still hardly call genes "THE central thing," because 40% is still very sizeable. For you to say genes are THE central thing, they'd have to count for around 80% of personality IMO.
6. Nurture, on the other hand, merely needs to be present to cause a reaction.
well, yeah. but I take issue with your word "merely," because it absolutely has to be present to cause a reaction. with phenylketonurics (as discussed earlier), the phenylalanine being present is key to their developing mental retardation. at a glutamatergic synapse, the presence of glutamate is key to making the neuron actually fire: the glutamate receptors can be there all you want, and indeed they're there the whole time, but they don't open up to let in ions and therefore depolarize the cell until glutamate is actually present at sufficient levels.

7. The nature of a discrete individual is there regardless of stimulus, though I've never denied that it can create a layering effect one the scaffolding and tendencies are in place.
well, yeah, to an extent. if you're born with human dna, you'll be a human-- you'll look like a human and act like one for the most part. you'll most likely have the same drives as most other humans: drives to get food and sex, drives to avoid danger, although these can be absent in some individuals...
Still, if you raise a person in extreme conditions, they might fail to achieve some of the characteristics we take for granted. Take the case of Genie, whose parents abused her severely: she lived the first 12 years of her life locked in her bedroom tied to a child's potty chair and was beaten with a stick if she tried to vocalize. When she was first rescued, Genie had developed a characteristic "bunny walk", in which she held her hands up in front, like paws. Although she was almost entirely silent, she constantly sniffed, spat, and clawed.
Over the years after her rescue, she was able to acquire some language skills, but never really grasped grammar. She had passed the critical period for language acquisition, so this can be partially be chalked up to nature in that respect, but she had also not been exposed to language before the critical period had passed, so that's chalked up to nurture.
She also had issues expressing anger, and after she was returned to the custody of her mother, after a few months "the mother found that taking care of Genie was too difficult, and Genie was transferred to a succession of six more foster homes. In some of the homes she was physically abused and harassed, and her development regressed severely. She returned to her coping mechanism of silence and gained a new fear of opening her mouth. This new fear developed after she was severely punished for vomiting in one of her foster homes; she didn't want to open her mouth, even to speak, for fear of vomiting and facing punishment again." Clearly, her environments were not favorable and directly caused her abnormally regressed development.
In the absence of normal stimuli that occur when one is raised in a normal household, you get a person with far fewer personality traits coinciding with the general population.
8. The evolution of discrete natures is a response to stimulus, so in a longer term thought process continued and repeated stimulus is actually more important than a short term one, ESPECIALLY at the population level, but even with this buff nature takes the drivers seat in assessing HOW to deal with it.
I agree with you up to the "but". Ok, nature decides HOW to deal with it, but it can't do that without the stimulus present. The level of stimulus is even important. But I guess we do agree on one level: all responses require a stimulus, and without the proper machinery to deal with the stimulus, there will be no response.

You can argue both back and forth, but it's easier and more parsimonious to make genetics the uniting feature than to look at stimulus on a case by case feature. What this means is that it is more likely to be central so, according to occam's razor, it should be taken as the correct answer until it is demonstrated incorrect. Of the papers Lanturn has cited, one of them actually backed me up (or at the very least didn't back her up adequately, depending on how you spin it), two of them contradicted each other and the others had a great deal of stats and treatments without really talking about cause, which is the point.
Well, if genes are a lot more dominant, then fine. But with treatments, it's best to consider every aspect of the disease, or at least every significant aspect. So even if nurture was only 25% responsible for the development of a certain disease, that is still a sizeable proportion and thus ought to be considered.

When treating diseases, it's best to focus on two things: how easy the treatment is and how effective it is. If you look at one of the papers i cited focusing on treatment of depression, the meds worked just as well as the talk therapy, but the combination of the two is what worked best. Now, Morm might yell at me for this paper looking at treatment rather than cause, but isn't treatment extremely important in this too? Practically speaking, one of the most important parts of this debate is the implications for treatment. And what this study demonstrates is that a treatment for depression just focusing either on drugs or on feelings is not nearly as good as one that combines them. So while it might not be the simplest treatment, it is the most effective one. And that is what matters.

EDIT:
It's important when determining and mitigating the formation of mental illness and detrimental/socially crippling personality qualities. If you know the cause you can prevent it.
Even if you know the cause, you might not be able to prevent it. For example, one of the popular theories for the development of schizophrenia is that at least some cases are partially due to prenatal viral infections... but you can't exactly prevent viral infections. I mean, you can try to be more hygienic, but that only works up to a point.
Also consider the example of Huntington's: you have the defective huntingtin gene, and you get the disease. You know the cause, but that doesn't do shit for you... you can't exactly eliminate that gene and replace it with a functional copy. At least not yet.
Prevention is an extremely important aspect of medicine, and anything that can be prevented should be prevented. But that shouldn't stop us from also focusing on treatments for things that have evaded preventative methods.
And hell, even some of the nature-focused treatments don't focus on cause necessarily but rather products downstream of the cause. In Parkinson's disease, for example, the cause is the deterioration of the substantia nigra, which releases dopamine. Treatment involves taking L-DOPA, a precursor to dopamine which effectively raises dopamine levels. That's treating a downstream symptom caused by the deterioration of the substantia nigra... and the cause of that is currently unknown. Maybe if we could figure out the cause, we could prevent it, but perhaps it might also be too difficult (it is hypothesized that in some cases, a virus acquired sometime during the patient's life might also play a role in this). A vaccination for the virus might be developed, but if the virus is rapidly-mutating, that might be impossible.
So knowledge of causes is not enough to determine what is effective. It's best to take everything into account and come up with treatments from there.

Sorry for the wall of text!!!! lol

It's important when determining and mitigating the formation of mental illness and detrimental/socially crippling personality qualities. If you know the cause you can prevent it.
and that cause is circumstantial. each illness addressed on its own terms, not pigeon-holed into pre-existing bias; certain diseases develop and environmental, other diseases are innate. others are innate but triggered from external causes. everything is not one or the other.

So minor nitpicks aside, it looks like Lanturn agrees!

Gizchim: How is illness being address on its own terms NOT pidgeon holing? Bias has nothing to do with anything.

uh... how would it be? its addressing its causes specifically, not asserting they come from one of two defined viewpoints beforehand.

I think what gizchim is getting at is that coming at illness from the perspective that the cause is purely environmental or purely innate BEFORE examining the disease itself is really fucking stupid. Each disease should be addressed as its own disease, since each disease has a different cause. Saying everything is for the most part caused by genes is not useful in the treatment of mental illness, since coming in with that bias might prevent treatment focusing on environmental factors that could be useful.

I never said not to do that, I never said that a disease can be purely environmental but as you pointed out Lanturn, they sure can be innate. It's not CAUSED by genes in many cases, there is a predisposition that allows for a great range of triggers to set the shitstorm off.

I never said not to do that, I never said that a disease can be purely environmental but as you pointed out Lanturn, they sure can be innate. It's not CAUSED by genes in many cases, there is a predisposition that allows for a great range of triggers to set the shitstorm off.
well, yeah

of course, in the case of predispositions, there's not much you can do about the genes. but there IS often stuff you can do to avoid the environmental triggers (but not always). so there.

If you know you have a predisposition and what the trigger is, I suppose, but in many cases these things almost funnel you towards them. Predispositions can be so strong that you're almost assured to run into trouble.

i think it's important to take into account how shared our natural dispositions are

for example, lets say that possession of a particular gene determines the potential for a high to exceptionally high iq. assuming this fact is true, it seems obvious that nature is more important to the intellectual development of a person than the environment that person was nurtured in, since without the gene all the nurturing in the world won't make you bright.

however, if everyone possesses this gene, then the environment we are nurtured in is more important for intelligence than the natural aspect, even if the natural aspect is absolutely crucial. if the gene is rare, then the argument reverses.

and yet, the intelligence gene has not been discovered, so we can't discredit the possibility that we all have the same intellectual capacities at birth

and if not, who cares? what does this question do for the world? we should all strive to be in the best possible environments, regardless of our inherited capacities. this nature vs. nurture crap only fosters hatred, elitism, racism and a whole bevy of other discrimination. it's an intellectual curiosity with the power to be damaging, nothing more

intelligence is polygenic in cahoots with nutrition and which synapses are pruned as a result of environment. There is no single gene. Not everyone possesses the same predispositions, ivar, it's called natural variance- though there are a limited number of personalities and personality traits. We aren't all unique hipster snowflakes.

and yet, the intelligence gene has not been discovered, so we can't discredit the possibility that we all have the same intellectual capacities at birth
So we haven't discovered the thing that would mean we all had the same intellectual capabilities at birth... thus we can't discredit the notion that it exists? Where is your logic?
Anyways, in the Minnesota Twin study I linked, IQ was found to be around 70% heritable, and pretty much everything since then has yielded similar results.
Most likely, intelligence arises not from one gene but from a bunch of different genes whose proteins interact with each other in complex ways. Genetic variance in polygene traits is where it's at. This notion is pretty much biology 101.

and if not, who cares? what does this question do for the world? we should all strive to be in the best possible environments, regardless of our inherited capacities. this nature vs. nurture crap only fosters hatred, elitism, racism and a whole bevy of other discrimination. it's an intellectual curiosity with the power to be damaging, nothing more
Well, actually, the notion that being gay could be a natural phenomenon has led to there being less discrimination against gay people, not more, so finding that some things are natural won't cause more discrimination.
And if we find that some things are due to environment, society will most likely try to make amends to the environment to help these people out... so I don't see where you are coming from.

This is pretty much an outdated debate at this point, since everyone seems to agree that the individual is a product of the interactions between his or her genes and the environment. So it's useless at this point, but I wouldn't say it's harmful. If anything, examining every trait on an individual basis to see whether nature or nurture is predominant can lead to better approaches to cures for diseases and stuff.

Yeah but keep in mind that nature is still irrefutably and conclusively >50% responsible for personality

So we haven't discovered the thing that would mean we all had the same intellectual capabilities at birth... thus we can't discredit the notion that it exists? Where is your logic?
huh? no. dont misrepresent my position. we haven't discovered the genetic component of intelligence, thus we can't rule out that we dont equally possess this genetic component since we don't know what it is. the logic you attribute to me is barely related to my actual logic... before you pounce on a point it's good to give someone the benefit of the doubt

and that unique snowflake quip is needlessly condescending. when did i say we are all unique snowflakes? i made a logical point, and then pointed out how pointless this discussion ultimately is for practical concerns. it's only intellectual interesting and has no useful application for the betterment of human lives. just bullshit science dweebs talk about to make them feel superior--this is obviously very anecdotal, but i've never witnessed a humble, well-grounded person berate the unique snowflake mindset and argue for the cardinality of inherited intelligence. always the biggest asses talk about that stuff, as though they are superior human specimens that are more evolved. and always the loneliest losers in uni are like that

Actually we can rule that out, thanks to natural variation within a population. It's why stupids beget stupids more often than not. Just ask families like the duggars.

Oh I was just being a bit sarcastic, sorry if it bugged you! So understanding how personality issues manifest has no application for the betterment of human lives? I dunno man, I'd really like to see dangerous schizophrenia or full on psychopath behavior extracted from society. There is a lot of misery with chronic depression and other issues that would definitely improve the lives of those suffering...and if they can be eradicated, funding used to give them therapy and whatnot can be reallocated into cancer research and whatnot. It's entirely beneficial to understand this stuff. It'd be pretty rad to have genetic screening and a process to identify and help fetuses at risk for developing issues, don't you think?

Actually the 'bullshit science dweeb' talk is typically more advanced than this and for some of us, it doesn't make us feel superior at all. Sometimes it makes it hard to communicate ideas, like speaking a different language! The amount of times I have forgotten to explain what a family of animals was when using technical terms, or confused people while talking about bones...My friends and I over a beer are pretty unbearable to outsiders!

This thread has gone from a quality discussion to the equivalent of most political debates in the space of 2 pages.

Yeah, I'm a strong believer of nature too, though nurture still plays a MASSIVE role in determining personality.

If you subjected humans to identical conditions from being a baby to adulthood, they're still all going to be completely different people and have completely different personalities.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Until we come up with a way to measure every single variable involved, there will be no way to determine which is more "predominant". Since it is theoretically impossible to identify every factor, I believe we will never know for sure. Besides, the argument is always going to be influenced by opinion, so how can a person reasonably tout one side or the other as "fact"? Of course, I don't think anyone here has been doing this yet, so we're on the right track. I suppose at this point I'll throw my two cents in.

It is my opinion that nurture is a bit more predominant than nature for this reason: Our nature is created at birth and never changed, whereas our nurturing occurs from birth until death (and possibly beyond). We are constantly being nurtured in some way, and it affects the flow of our lives. Yes, on a biological level our nature determines many factors. Once you delve into social and mental levels, you're getting into nurture's spectrum. Nurture, in my opinion, has a greater impact on where you go in life, how you conduct yourself on a daily basis, and how you proceed in situations beyond the initial action/reaction. Nature, I believe, determines the initial response to a stimulus. Beyond that, nurture takes over and influences your course of action. It is for this reason that I believe nurture is more predominant, as it simply covers more time and actions in your life.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I am not going to sit here and say it is fact, or that I have any kind of scientific "proof" that I am right and my opposition is wrong.

Actually we can rule that out, thanks to natural variation within a population. It's why stupids beget stupids more often than not. Just ask families like the duggars.
no we cant rule it out--just because stupid begets stupid it does not follow that an environmental aspect did not play a more important role because we all share the same genetic capacity for high iq , barring obvious exclusions like retards

Oh I was just being a bit sarcastic, sorry if it bugged you! So understanding how personality issues manifest has no application for the betterment of human lives? I dunno man, I'd really like to see dangerous schizophrenia or full on psychopath behavior extracted from society. There is a lot of misery with chronic depression and other issues that would definitely improve the lives of those suffering...and if they can be eradicated, funding used to give them therapy and whatnot can be reallocated into cancer research and whatnot. It's entirely beneficial to understand this stuff. It'd be pretty rad to have genetic screening and a process to identify and help fetuses at risk for developing issues, don't you think?
you make a good point, though i disagree. that would put the wealthy at an even greater advantage and would kill any social mobility we might have. i don't like too much power in the hands of a single group, institution, social demographic, etc... and i think genetic manipulation makes the wealthy all powerful. not to say they are feeble now, but that only tips the scale further to their advantage. still, this point is definitely defensible and i suppose its easy for me to say that given the fact that i am a healthy straight white male

Actually the 'bullshit science dweeb' talk is typically more advanced than this and for some of us, it doesn't make us feel superior at all. Sometimes it makes it hard to communicate ideas, like speaking a different language! The amount of times I have forgotten to explain what a family of animals was when using technical terms, or confused people while talking about bones...My friends and I over a beer are pretty unbearable to outsiders!
huh? no, that's not what i said. i don't think your science talk is bullshit--science is fine. get over yourself morm, seriously. i think your elitist, 'nature' posturing is bullshit--this is not exclusive to science dweebs and i have no problem with the technical aspects of science, nor the scientific method. taking the position of 'nature' often begets bigotry, hatred and snobbishness.

people who take that position in life often think they are genetically superior to other humans, usually due to their intelligence, and thus believe themselves, in some respects, to transcend other humans. the rest are plebs who need flash cards, as you say, to understand your intellectually superior outlook on life. thats what i take issue with. when presenting a counterpoint you cannot misrepresent my position, its just poor argumentation

no we cant rule it out--just because stupid begets stupid it does not follow that an environmental aspect did not play a more important role because we all share the same genetic capacity for high iq , barring obvious exclusions like retards
No, we really don't.The heritability of IQ is 70%, meaning that 70% of the variation in IQ between individuals can be attributed to genetics. Thus, we most certainly do not all have the same genetic capacity for high IQ. Again, you might want to actually read that twin study I linked a few posts back.

you make a good point, though i disagree. that would put the wealthy at an even greater advantage and would kill any social mobility we might have. i don't like too much power in the hands of a single group, institution, social demographic, etc... and i think genetic manipulation makes the wealthy all powerful. not to say they are feeble now, but that only tips the scale further to their advantage. still, this point is definitely defensible and i suppose its easy for me to say that given the fact that i am a healthy straight white male
Again, just look at the example of homosexuality. Back when people thought it was a lifestyle choice, there was far more discrimination against homosexuals than there was after it was discovered to have a largely genetic basis. One of the main objections that homophobes still have now is that "it's unnatural," which is stupid, because we know it occurs in nature, but yeah.

So discovering a genetic basis for certain traits will most likely reduce discrimination as well as help us arrive at treatments for particularly maladaptive traits. I really don't see where your concern arises from.

taking the position of 'nature' often begets bigotry, hatred and snobbishness.
Not really. Most geneticists and scientists in general are far more liberal than the general population, and if they lean in any direction, it's most likely that they would lean slightly towards nature.

Anyway, even if taking one of the positions did lead to bigotry, hatred, and/or snobbishness, it wouldn't make that position any more or less true than it would have been otherwise. It's a logical fallacy to think that just because something leads to unwanted circumstances, it can't be true. You ought to know better than that.

Taking the position of nature doesn't beget bigotry at all. If anything, it absolves people of responsibility in any way for any perceived shortcomings.

Your genetics define your possibilities. Your nurture defines your limits.

I'd say overall it was more nature, but there are plenty of examples suggesting otherwise, such as schizophrenia, which although coded for in genetics, can only be "activated" by your environment. There's also things like looking at child abuse and how that can change people, along with brain damage, obesity, etc. However, I think predominantly it is nature, but only predominantly. To say either is unimportant is wrong.

Also, in less developed countries nurture obviously would be a larger factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)