Announcement My my, hey hey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's better to burn out than to fade away

Hey y'all. I won't bury the lede here - I'm stepping down from being an RBY mod, on both the forums and on Discord. I'm not quitting RBY, as if I ever could. I'll still be sticking around on councils and playing tournaments for now. I'll also finish things I took on like the RBY Awards, and you'll still see me around, but I'll be delegating/passing on some of the things I was responsible for before.

Here's the why. First and foremost, I'm not proud of how out of control my emotions have gotten at several points this year, invariably when personal life stuff was going poorly. At several points I passed being "passionate" and got into "outright hostile," which is a sign to me I need to prioritize my IRL situation for a while. I also just think I just haven't really given other staff much reason to be confident in me at present and I'd like to meaningfully work on repairing that, which takes time, effort, and most of all, changing the conditions that led to this. I think everything that happened around BO1 RBY put me in an uncomfortable spotlight and showed a bad side I would like to get a handle on. I don't want to dwell on the rough parts - in time, I'll repair what I can and live with the consequences of what I can't. Rather, I'll say I'm incredibly proud of all the positive things this community has achieved in the last couple years - the incredible influx of new players and tournament threats, the absurd number of high-quality tournaments run, improved integration with other Smogon communities, and the massive updates to resources that helped to ease newer players in.

I have to thank Gangsta Spongebob and gastlies most of all for the sheer effort they put into helping update the dex, but so many people did a ton of work - juoean, MrSoup, Volk, autumn, P Squared, and way too many others to name. I especially have to thank autumn for teaching me to GP, or I never could have done half the work that I did. I also have to thank Amaranth, phoopes, emma, Frrf, juoean, and about a million other people for advice, support, and going to bat for me at various times - truly, it meant and still means a ton to me and I won't be forgetting it any time soon. Finally, everyone who reached out in October when I was in a particularly bad spot quite literally changed the course of my life. Thank you all for being here when I needed you. I wish I could name every single person who had a positive impact on my life that I've met through here, but that list is absurdly long and may as well say "practically the whole community" - you know who you are. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart. I love this community dearly.

The candle might be burnt at both ends, but it's not burnt out quite yet. See you in the circuits. <3 you all now and always.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Sabelette, I'm very honored to make your shortlist of contributors. Whether on a tournament team, a moderation team, or a QC team, it's always a pleasure to work with you. It's been nice to have intelligent and patient leadership on Smogon and on Discord for the last, what's it been now... about 18 months, I think? Your contributions to the RBY Community are frankly near unrivaled and you've been a positive presence pretty much the whole time. Thank you for that. I'm glad you will still be sticking around.

Take care of yourself and prioritize what is important. You owe it to yourself.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
“Thank you” doesn’t begin to cover how much you are appreciated by not only me, but the community as a whole. I know they’re just pixels, but be proud of that CC and that shiny teardrop too, both are very well deserved. I’ve hella appreciated getting to work with you and getting to know since you first joined. Super happy that you will be sticking around and that this isn’t goodbye. Thanks so much again, and here’s to many more years of RBY :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)