My latest Photoshop work

Two main characters from one of my anthro series. I was trying for an unusual shading style here, drawing inspiration from the charming dithered look that you get on pixel art.

A lot of people dismiss anthro art as being "furry" or kitschy, but I believe there's a lot of potential for it as a style. There is a certain appeal to anthropomorphic characters that has a lot to do with how we, as humans, portray animals as a representation of various psyche. There are also many methods of portraying very subtle emotive hints in an anthropomorphic character based on such things as ear and tail position, body language etc. It's slightly more defined than in human characters and can be used to great effect.

This style is an adaptation of several anime principles, but also draws inspiration from the colouring style of one of my uncles, who once aimed to be a Disney animator.

If you're wondering why there's a maple leaf in a snowflake, you could read the description behind this series on my deviant art page.

http://ryanide.deviantart.com/art/Maple-Lenicy-63032308?offset=40

please don't distribute this image.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Holy crap, I just visited your dA page yesterday. I never knew you were on Smogon as well. Your Photoshop work is great, but I particularly like your skills in Flash animation.

RYANIDE? Holy crap I did not expect for our paths to cross here. Good to see you posting here.

Thanks for bringing respect for the anthro art here. Your work is nice as usual.

RYANIDE? Holy crap I did not expect for our paths to cross here. Good to see you posting here.

Thanks for bringing respect for the anthro art here. Your work is nice as usual.
Hehe. Well I've always been an avid Pokemon player. I guess I thought I'd try smogon because it's better kept than the Gamefaqs boards. But now I'm scared to post anywhere than the studio because the mods already don't like me and my non-standard ideas. XD

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Hehe. Well I've always been an avid Pokemon player. I guess I thought I'd try smogon because it's better kept than the Gamefaqs boards. But now I'm scared to post anywhere than the studio because the mods already don't like me and my non-standard ideas. XD
I wouldn't say that (I personally don't know you, but whatever), we just tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to heralding new ideas as the best thing since [your cliche here]. If it can stand up to criticism, then it's a great idea! Besides, you haven't even gotten a warning infraction yet. You're in the clear, I'd say.

But to stay on topic, I enjoy your art quite a bit. The shading and stuff here is very impressive.

I wouldn't say that (I personally don't know you, but whatever), we just tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to heralding new ideas as the best thing since [your cliche here]. If it can stand up to criticism, then it's a great idea! Besides, you haven't even gotten a warning infraction yet. You're in the clear, I'd say.

But to stay on topic, I enjoy your art quite a bit. The shading and stuff here is very impressive.
Ah OK, fair enough. To be honest I should have expected it, seeing as I joined Smogon because I wanted to be part of a more serious community than Gamefaqs. But then again, I'm kind of used to people debating the merits of even the most stupid points (more often than not, good things come from experimentation. XD)

Sorry for making such a bad impression with my first post. I can assure you that you won't be seeing stuff like that again from me.

I checked your dA account, and I really liked it!

You inspired me to do some anthro work myself.

Your style is awesome. Love the shading style. Lemme check your DA page.
Oh and your avatar is superb. You make it yourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)