XY RU My first XY RU team (Regenerator Core)

As I am mainly an OU player, I wanted to re-live the good old days of no megas. I also wanted to try out a new metagame, so I decided to create an RU team. Here it is:

Slowking
Amoonguss
Rhyperior
Doublade
Shiftry
Moltres

~CORE~

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

I decided to use Slowking because he makes a great special tank, sponging all kinds of special hits and dishing out massive pain. His dual psychic/water STAB makes for great coverage also. He works as a special wall of sorts, but his main job is to function as one of the best pivots in the RU metagame. Regenerator allows for 1/3 recovery on switchouts, which is simply amazing. He can also take plenty of t-bolts from the likes of Magneton, Mesprit, and many others. Scald leads the set as a wonderful STAB move with a great 30% burn chance. It will often OHKO offensive Archeops, Rhyperior, Delphox, Moltres, and Heatmor. Psyshock is a great psychic STAB, hitting the defense stat of opposing pokes rather than the special defense stat. It slams Amoonguss and other poison types. Fire Blast provides great coverage, hitting those bulky grass types like Tangrowth and wrecking Escavilier on switch-in. Dragon Tail stops setup sweepers cold, namely CM Delphox, Agility Moltres, Power-Up Punch users, and Bulk Up Slaking. Slowking takes special hits just fine with a modest nature; the modest nature is there to maximize power. Assault Vest allows him to be an absolute tank, and he doesn't need recovery moves or leftovers because of regenerator. This poke is a beast.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore

Amoonguss fits on this team like an obvious puzzle piece, forming a nasty regenerator core with Slowking. He also covers Slowking's weaknesses nicely, shrugging off electric, grass, and bug type hits like they were nothing. Much like Slowking, he works as an amazing pivot. However, he is also a great status spreader, passing around the gifts of sleep, poison, and paralysis. I chose a bold nature with the given EV spread so that he may take the physical hits that Slowking can't, but also take some nasty special hits. Amoonguss can take hits from Sawk, Hitmonlee, Archeops, Sharpedo, and Rhyperior, while striking back at the former two for KO potential. Spore is an obvious set choice, as 100% accuracy sleep is very nice. Giga Drain provides a STAB move with some recovery, yet it may seem redundant with regenerator. Sludge bomb has that nice 30% poison chance and is a powerful STAB attack, putting dents in anything that doesn't have respectable bulk. Stun Spore can nail wallbreaker switch-ins if the sleep clause is activated, and can cripple potential sweepers. Overall, Amoonguss is a pretty fun guy.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Roar

I needed a poke that could take some physical hits, so Rhyperior was the man for the job. Functioning much like Slowking, Rhyperior is meant to be a tank from all angles. His defense stat without any EVs is greater than 252 defense bold nature Aromatisse, allowing him to easily suck up physical hits from Slaking, Regigigas, Archeops, and many others. He walls physical attackers that this team would otherwise have trouble with. The EV spread is used to allow him to take some special hits and physical hits as well. Adamant nature allows him to truck through other pokes with his STAB attacks. Earthquake hits extremely hard, even with 16 attack EVs, and is an obvious STAB to this set. Rock Blast is used over Stone Edge for the ability to break subs, which my team struggles with, and for its higher accuracy. It may seem redundant to have Dragon Tail and Roar on the same team, but I NEED these moves to deter setup sweepers like SD Drapion and CM Delphox that would otherwise wreck this team. Those moves also capitalize on Stealth Rock, shuffling around for that extra damage. This proves useful against Moltres, Delphox, Heatmor, Braviary, and others weak to rock. I love this poke.

~SUPPORTER~

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

As long as Moltres is on this team, I'll need a hazard cleaner. I figured that Shiftry would work well because STAB Knock Off sure is useful, and STAB Leaf Storm puts a sizable dent in Alomomola. His main function is obviously to remove hazards with Defog. He also works well as a psychic move switch-in, retaliating with Knock Off/Sucker Punch to wreck Reuniclus, Slowking, Meloetta, Delphox, Mesprit, and more. Life Orb is used to maximize our mulleted dryad's damage output, with the lonely nature chosen over a hasty nature for the same reason. Maximum attack and speed EVs allow for maximum speed and power. I didn't focus as much on special attack because of Leaf Storm's -2 special attack effect, yet 4 special attack EVs give him that much more power. Chlorophyll is the ability of choice because Pickpocket would be useless, Early Bird would't be such a big help because the majority of sleep moves in the meta are grass type, and if for some wild chance sun ends up on the field, Shiftry will surely leave a path of utter destruction. Shiftry is a great addition to the team.

~KILLERS~

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Doublade is really cool in the sense that he has amazing attack ad amazing defense, and his defense can be boosted to staggering levels with the Eviolite. I needed a sweeper that could leave a path of destruction and soak up hits, so this dude was chosen. He works as a sweeper, setting up and unleashing a tempest of killing. An adamant nature is chosen with 252 attack EVs to maximize his damage output. 44 speed EVs allows him to just outspeed certain pokes such as Rhyperior with no speed investment. the rest of the EVs are dumped into HP, giving him much needed bulk. Swords Dance launches his attack stat to a ridiculous 700, allowing him to OHKO much of the metagame. Iron head is a great STAB move, hitting anything in the metagame extremely hard. This also (after a Swords Dance) puts a sizeable dent in defensive Aromatisse. Shadow Claw is his main ghost type STAB move, slamming Delphox, Slowking, Reuniclus, and others that are weak to it. Shadow Sneak provides nice priority, rounding off the set.

(This slot was originally a Cobalion set. Doublade set recommended by galbia. Thanks!)

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- U-Turn
- Flamethrower

I needed some offensive power on this team, and Moltres provided excellent coverage that the rest of the team lacks. Moltres works as a revenge killer and potential sweeper, Fire Blast and Hurricane ripping through teams. The Choice Scarf allows his mediocre speed to reach superb levels, and the EV spread given is used to maximize speed and offensive power. A timid nature is used to outspeed and OHKO scarfed Rotom-Mow. Pressure is used as the ability over flame body as Moltres won't be taking many hits at all. Fire Blast, although inaccurate, does massive damage to pokes that don't resist it. Hurricane is the secondary STAB move of choice, destroying grass and fighting types. U-Turn is used to gain momentum. Flamethrower is used in the last slot as an accurate means of hitting weaker pokemon, or used for an accurate sweep. Moltres definitely gives some offensive presence to this team.

I'd like to know what you think of my team. As always, questions, comments, and suggestions are much appreciated!

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, pretty solid team you have here. However, there are a few things that you could fix.

Mainly, your team has two Stealth Rock setters.

There's *REALLY* no need to carry two Pokemon with Stealth Rock on the same team, it's just redundant imo and you could really be making much better use of one of those teamslots. I'd suggest changing your set on either Rhyperior or Cobalion. Both Pokemon have perfectly viable sets to work with outside of their role as a Stealth Rock setter, and i think it'd benefit your team quite a bit as a whole to try them out. If you want some example sets, Rhyperior can use both a Rock Polish set and a Choice Band set pretty effectively, and Cobalion can get away with all of Swords Dance+3 attacks, Taunt+Swords Dance, Sub+Swords Dance, or Calm Mind+3 attacks.

If i think of anything else in particular i'll get back to you =).

Last edited:
I'd prefer against a setup set as this team uses switchouts liberally. However, I see your point. Firstly, which one should carry rocks? Secondly, I considered putting iron head over rocks on Cobalion. Would that work? I prefer the bulky set on Cobalion. Would it work if I put a choice band on rhyperior?

How is this set:
Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

For the final slot, volt switch or stone edge? VSwitch creates voltturn synergy w/ moltres, but stone edge provides coverage.

Hi RhyptheRock cool team!

As Molk already pointed out having 2 two Stealth Rock setters is the main problem this team has as it is able to deal with most Pokemon in the tier quite well with its good defensive backbone and offensive presence in Shiftry+Moltres.
The suggestion of changing Cobalion or Rhyperior to another set is very good indeed but i am going to throw out an alternative if you'd like to change Pokemon.
Doublade over Cobalion could work very well as a secondary Normal-type check, win condition (which is something your team lacks actually) and additional check to some Psychic-types. You also gain a Spinblocker and additional priority

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Speed outspeeds 0 Speed Rhyperior
[/set]
You should also move the 16 Attack EVs on Rhyperior to outspeed any speed creeping Doublade as it can be a big threat if your offensive Pokemon are weakened

Good Luck!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slaking/regigigas? Im new to this so please forgive my ignorance...
Slaking and Regigigas are pretty much complete nonfactors when it comes to RU, neither of them are really seen at all and even when they are they aren't really particularly effective.

Slaking and Regigigas are pretty much complete nonfactors when it comes to RU, neither of them are really seen at all and even when they are they aren't really particularly effective.
Agreed, whenever I see them they end up being set-up fodder allowing me to gain momentum. Not having a fighting type is not a big deal as Doublade is always a solid choice for most teams.

Agreed, whenever I see them they end up being set-up fodder allowing me to gain momentum. Not having a fighting type is not a big deal as Doublade is always a solid choice for most teams.
You are right. I killed a bulk up slaking and a power up punch regigigas with rhyperior at 25% health

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)