My first real competative team

POSSIBLE TEAM CHANGE - HELP WANTED
Team Overview-

Proposed change:
-->

Now, before this I had planned on using a Weavile. Revenge killer set. But it was pointed out to me that I had issues with Gyarados. HP Elec on Vaporeon is, at the moment, the only way to kill him. I was thinking that I could use some help there. So then I found Starmie.

Starmie - Leftovers
Timid
172 HP, 120 SpA, 216 Spe
Ice Beam
Surf
Thunderbolt
Recover

So, this changes a few things on my Wi-Fi team. Starmie can take a hit while Weavile can't. But this also leads to a slight problem with Blissey, since it can wall Starmie pretty well. I also risk getting killed by a pursuit, the very same move thta I am abandoning with Weavile. Ironic really. Half my team is no longer weak to fire (a good thing), but I can no longer revenge kill Gengar or Azelf. Now my team is weak to grass. 1/2 weak, 2 resists and 1 double resist. So, is it worth it to my team to change this?

In depth view-
Weavile @ Choice Band

Jolly
40 HP, 252 Atk, 216 Spe
Pursuit
Ice Shard
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
My lead. Handles dragons and ninjask with Ice shard, pursuits anyone who trys to run. Brick Break and Aerial Ace for type coverage. Doubles as a revenge killer. Thinking about putting a black belt on here for the ability to change moves.

Donphan @ Leftovers

Impish
252 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Def
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Stealth rocker and Spinner. Works as a wall. Spins away the entry hazards that would rip my team up on switches. Earthquake for STAB, Ice Shard for Priority.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers

Bold
188 HP, 252 Def, 68 SpA
Surf
Wish
Protect
HP - Electric
Wish to heal. Protect to help heal myself. Surf for STAB and dealing damage. HP for Gyrados. Bulky.

Meatgross @ Choice Band

Adament
208 HP, 110 Atk, 192 Spe
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Bullet Punch
Explosion
Meteor Mash for Attacking, Earth quake for the same purpose. Bullet Punch to finish off weakened foes, Explosion if he's weakened.

Lucario @ Choice Specs

Modest
4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Psychic
Dragon Pulse
Wall breaker. Aura Sphere for STAB, Rest for type coverage. Take that Blissey

Salamence @ Life Orb

Rash
129 Atk, 252 SpA, 136 Spe
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Brick Break
Roost
Mixmence. Roost to recove off Life Orb. Fire Blast is my only fire attack here.

Threat list-
Tyranitar - Vaporeon
Gyrados - Vaporeon, Starmie
Infernape - Vaporeon (he'll be busy) Starmie
Azelf - Weavile revenge ?????
Heracross - Salamence
Various Dragons - Weavile and Salamence and Lucario (fears Earthquake)
Heatran - Vaporeon
Yanmega & Ninjask - Weavile Donphan? (Ice Shard?)
Porygon Z - Salamence or Weavile or Metagross
Weavile - Metagross
Dugtrio - Weavile (most likely revenge) Salamence? Surfs?

The only pokemon I have EVed is Lucario but I'm breeding for Salamence now. Anything that seems majorly wrong? Rate away (please?)

You've got a big MixApe weakness. The only thing that can switch in 100% of the time without getting killed is Vaporeon, and even then Residual damage + risk of sets without Thunder Punch will be harmful.

Your best bet would probably be Gyarados over Salamence. That still keeps an intimidate, plus won't make Heracross an issue (say if you were going to use Cressilia instead)

(1 away from 100 posts, 75% of them in this forums, lol)

Uh, he has Salamence AND Vaporeon, both of which are very solid Infernape counters. No one runs HP Ice, and in the event that someone did, that means Infernape isn't gonna get past Vaporeon. You don't need three freaking infernape counter on a team. And Gyarados gets killed by Thunderpunch and Grass Knot... <_<

Since all Gengar leads are scarfed, and will OHKO Weavile, I would lead with Metagross. It can tank a Shadow Ball or two, and deal out some pain with Meteor Mash or Bullet Punch. With Thunderpunch you could scare off Gyarados, and with Meteor Mash, Tyranitar would be forced to run.

Run extra HP and defences if he's leading though... you won't mind the slight drop in power. With Max HP, you turn Shadow Ball into a 3HKO. Then you can put some into Speed to outrun CBtar leads. Put the rest in Attack.

Mence = Rash. You will probly want a Rapid Spinner with all the switching you will be doing because of the Choice users you have. So Donphan > Swampy.

Good idea, although the loss of Boah coverage could suck a bit. Oh well, as long as he keeps Metagross healthy with Wish, he should be OK. Besides, Ice Shard will help him keep Garchump away.

Uh, he has Salamence AND Vaporeon, both of which are very solid Infernape counters. No one runs HP Ice, and in the event that someone did, that means Infernape isn't gonna get past Vaporeon. You don't need three freaking infernape counter on a team. And Gyarados gets killed by Thunderpunch and Grass Knot... <_<
Are you joking me? As I said, Vaporeon doesn't like switching in to Close Combat, and that is ignoring the fact that residual damage comes into play. Vaporeon only has Base 60 Def. People still do run HP Ice, and you are being ignorant to the also in use Full Special Set, which carries Grass Knot and HP Ice. And Gyarados only takes 43% on Max (assuming 128/128 Life Orb, EVs needed to 1HKO Blissey), which is still a 3HKO. That's also without any EVs, where Gyarados can just come in, and Intimedate it. And Thunderpunch is very rare, which is Gyarados's main concern, whereas Salamence can't handle the HP Ice, which is used 25x more then Thunderpunch

Try again

(You made me use my 100th post, :( )

Wow, OK... didn't know that. I've never seen one on Wifi with HP Ice... but that's probably because it's harder to get. I haven't played shoddy in a while... I got tired of all the random scarfed crap, so I've been playing Wifi lately. The Wifi standard has Nasty Plot, and my Salamence beats them every time... quite often they'll Flamethrower me suicidally, but then I DD as they attack, outspeed, and sweep.

OK, ditch 'Mence for Gyarados then. Didn't know HP Ice got popular... it's probably Garchomp's doing <_<

Hmm, I think that I may switch Swampy for Donphan. I knew the choice items was going to be a problem. I guess standard Don woulld be Earthquake, Ice Shard, Stealth rocks and rapid spin? So basically Swampert with Rapid spin instead of surf? Not to big of a problem.

I did kinda like the idea of using Salamence though. Gyrados would definitly hep my team? I should also note that without him I have zero fire attacks, which I think might be a problem.

Vaporeon is there to help back up my team with wish. If anyone is wondering, this is NOT A SHODDY TEAM. This is Wi-Fi. Also, what kind of EV spread should I use for Metagross iff I lead with him? I do like the idea.

HA, told you guys! It's WIFI, that means HP ice infernape will be rare to non-existant.

Here's a good EV spread for gross, assuming 31s of everything. If the stats are lower than that, add EVs to speed and HP to make up for it.

208 HP EVs hits 353 HP. This is a nice "leftovers" number. It'll help Metagross switch in more often by minimizing Stealth Rock and Spikes damage. It'll help him sponge hits a little better too. Throw 192 EVs into speed so you can outrun Tyranitar and Restalk Heatran. The last of it should go into attack; 110 EVs. This will get you 549 attack with the Choice Band.

I think this could be a very good lead, IMO. Worst Gengar could do is sleep you... but if you had a Lum Berry, he couldn't even do that. I'd still stick with the Choice Band though.

Good, I didn't really want to drop my dragon. So I'll change Metagross' EV's. Swap out Swampert for Donphan. Anything that I should change or watch out for?

I dunno, maybe Ice Beam or HP Electric on Vapoeron. If you can't get a HP Electric Vaporeon, I'm sure someone on here has one. Without HP Electric, Gyara will walk all over you.... seeing as you lack Thunder Punch on Metagross :( Porygon2 or Tangrowth could replace someone if you can't get HP electric... Gyarados is very common on Wifi sadly, and I fear he might beat you quite badly.

Hmmm. I do have Emerald with a beldum on it. If I go with HP Elec (if I get it) what should I replace with it? Sub? Then baton pass becomes kinda useless. Ovbiously T-punch over bullet punch on Metagross. Should I try breeding for Vappy first and if it's not HP Elec then go breed Metagross over in Emerald?

Standard Vapoeron usually has Protect over Sub, and HP Electric or Ice Beam over Baton Pass. Since you have two Ice Shard users already, I think you can get by with HP Electric for Gyarados.

Don't bother with the punches on Metagross, you don't want him taking EQs from Gyarados anyways.

Use the Wifi shop thingy to find HP Electric vaporeon, or go into the Wifi forum and ask for it in the "looking for a specific pokemon? ask here" thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)