Ability: Unburden
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Punch
So basically,I wanted to make a competitive team that consisted of my favourite Pokemon and it couldn't be a team without my favourite Pokemon Sceptile. His purpose is to serve as an All-Rounder that can be used in any situation. As soon as Sceptile is hit,his speed would double and just land attack after attack. Leaf Blade for crits,Thunder Punch and Dragon Claw for more coverage and Dragon Dance to increase his best stats (Attack and Speed). I used 252 for both Atk and Spe because those are the best stats for Sceptile and 4 SpD because Wynaut. Adamant because I don't frickin' need SpA. Max IVs because Attack and Speed are absolutely necessary for Sceptile.

Ring (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 86 HP / 252 Atk / 85 Def / 85 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Foul Play
Umbreon is a Supporter that will whittle down it's opponents Hit Point by Hit Point with Toxic and heal itself with Protect,Wish and Leftovers. So she isn't rendered useless,Umbreon can use Foul Play to damage Steel Types. 252 Atk so Umbreon can deal big damage with Foul Play and an equal split of the defensive EVs so Umbreon can take hits. I don't really need speed so that's why I have an IV of 0 Spe. There are many intimidaters in OU so Inner Focus prevents that.

Shade (Krookodile) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Darkest Lariat
- Aerial Ace
Krookodile is my Leader and is also a Clean Sweeper. Most of the time I just spam Earthquake and use Stone Edge for Pokemon that are immune to Ground Type moves. I used Darkest Lariat for STAB damage and Aerial Ace for Fighting Type. Jolly because SpA is like non-existent in this whole team and Moxie for the SWEEEEEEEEEEPS! Max IVs for the same reason as Sceptile and EVs as well.

Horn (Scolipede) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 (Power Rangers)* SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Rock Slide
Literally just a Sceptile 2.0 but a Speedster. *I had to sneak in a reference sorry. So the reason I picked Scolipede is because he can go beast mode with his speed with Speed Boost. Also because I had a Whirlipede on my first ever Pokemon game (Pokemon White 2) but I lost the cartridge. Adamant because my homies don't like SpA. Megahorn can deal massive STAB damage,Poison Jab for STAB,Protect for the defense and Rock Slide for the flinching. Originally I was gonna use Steamroller instead of Rock Slide but then I learnt it was illegal to use. If you didn't notice I just really like fast physical speedsters.

Claw (Scizor) (M)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
I always have Scizor and this set up ON EVERY TEAM I HAVE. He's just OP,carries in Monotype. If you're wondering why I have no held item it's so I can deal maximum Acrobatics damage. Swords Dance + Bullet Punch = INSTANT DEATH! X-Scissor for standard STAB damage. Adamant because frick SpA,I need some bulk so I invested in HP and SpD and 252 Atk for obvious reasons. If you hadn't noticed I just like shinies.

Fang (Garchomp) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw
- Metal Claw
- Earthquake
Garchomp is my Tank and has an answer for everything. Fire Fang: Kills Ice Types. Dragon Claw: Kills Dragon Types. Metal Claw: Kills Fairy Types. Earthquake for STAB damage. 252 Def and 252 SpD so Garchomp can take hit after hit and not faint. Nothing can kill her. I had 4 points left and I used it up on Atk for obvious reasons. Adamant because SpA can die in a ditch. When Garchomp is attacked,Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet come into play and deals damage.

Inspired by Wolfey's collaboration with Jaiden!

Last edited:

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm not gonna sugarcoat this: I think Sceptile is garbage and has literally nothing going for it besides natural speed. Its attacking stats are nowhere near good enough for it to be used as anything other than a setup sweeper, but its mediocre defensive stats and garbage defensive typing give it so few opportunities to actually set up. I personally believe that if using Sceptile is your only prerogative, you should absolutely not be using it in OU and should stick to lower tiers. However, since you did post this in the OU forums, I tried my hardest to make a viable version of this team while staying within forum rules and not swapping out more than 3 mons. I've come up with three possible versions that use a few different setups.

(Pokepastes at the bottom of this post!)

Mon changes

:umbreon:
First, a couple notes about the Umbreon set you posted:
1) EVs change your stats in multiples of 4. Running an EV value that is not divisible by 4 (especially an odd number) is a waste of EVs. Running 85 Defense EVs gives it the exact same stat value as would 84 Defense EVs.
2) Umbreon is not worth using at all unless you invest fully into HP and defenses. Foul Play is not doing the damage you seem to think it is.
With that out of the way, let's move on to its replacements.

Fini version: :umbreon: => :tapu fini:
Honestly, the only way you're going to get any value out of Sceptile in the long run is as a terrain seed cleaner. I mean sure, you COULD run Air Balloon and get your Unburden boost as soon as you get hit. But why sacrifice HP on an already pathetically frail mon when you can instead get the boost WITHOUT taking damage, AND run one of the Tapus which are some of the best mons in the tier? It's a no-brainer.

With that said, the primary way in which these teams differ is WHICH Tapu you use. This first version involves Tapu Fini, which gives you both your all-important terrain and a bulky Water-type to prevent you from losing to the menaces known as Weavile and Urshifu (both of which 6-0d your original team). I've elected to make it Choice Scarf as well to give you Speed control that this version of the team would otherwise lack, and gave it Defog to provide you with hazard control that you also lacked.

Koko version: :umbreon: => :tapu koko:
Same general principle as Fini, except this doesn't give you a bulky Water or hazard control. What Tapu Koko gives you instead is a powerful and fast Electric-type that can generate momentum with U-turn and pressure birds like Corviknight and Zapdos that might make life hard for Sceptile.

:krookodile:
I'll be honest, I really wanted to find a version of these I could make that kept Krookodile. It provided a passable Ghost resist that the team could really use, and great speed control if you run it with Choice Scarf. But that second part is exactly the problem: Krookodile is pretty much useless in this tier if you're not running it with Choice Scarf; otherwise it's hopelessly outclassed by other mons in the tier, notably Weavile and your other teammate Garchomp. Running it with Scarf also made it so I couldn't justify using Stealth Rock on it, which would mean I'd have to keep Garchomp and go with two Ground-types weak to Koko's Dazzling Gleam. In the end, it had to be scrapped.

Fini version: :krookodile: => :volcarona: OR :heatran:
With this version using Fini instead of Koko, the team had absolutely no reliable way to pressure Corviknight. This swap fixes that, providing you with powerful Fire-types that can take on any Steel-type not named Heatran with ease. Running Heatran will provide you with another Stealth Rock user, letting Garchomp do something else, while also giving a decent secondary check to opposing Koko. Volcarona will instead give you a soft answer to Kartana and a nice special sweeper.

Koko version: :krookodile: => :slowbro:
Since this version doesn't have Fini as a bulky Water, Slowbro in this slot provides that benefit. Running it with Colbur Berry and Body Press lets it also be a Weavile check. It also provides momentum with Teleport, extra breaking power with Future Sight, and reliable recovery with Slack Off. A great bulky Water.

:scolipede:
Scolipede is another mon that is absolutely not suited for this tier. It's not quite as weak as Sceptile, but its appalling coverage makes it so painfully difficult to use over a multitude of other sweepers. Your set in particular was not killing anything without Swords Dance, so there was no other option but to get rid of it. Unlike the other two swaps, however, this has the same mon regardless of which version you use.

:scolipede: => :tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian is, simply put, one of the best mons in the tier. It has good natural speed, solid natural bulk, a strong STAB option in Hurricane, momentum generation with U-turn, and a debatably top 1 ability in Regenerator. It also stands as one of the best Kartana checks in the game, and if you run it with Assault Vest as we're doing here, it can be a decent answer to the tier's ever-present Ghost-types Dragapult and Blacephalon.

Set changes

:sceptile:
Like I said, we're running Sceptile as a terrain seed sweeper, so the set is gonna need some changes. First off, some adjustments that stay the same across each version. Dragon Dance should never ever be used over Swords Dance. You're already comfortably faster than the entire unboosted tier after your Unburden boost, so there's no reason to boost your Speed even further. Swords Dance gives you much more immediate power that DDance would only give you after risking another setup turn. We're also subbing out Dragon Claw for Drain Punch; hitting Steel-types super-effectively is way way more useful than being able to kill Dragons, since there are way more of the former running around.
Fini version: Your item should be Misty Seed. You're not getting that boost otherwise.
Koko version: Your item should be Electric Seed for the same reason.

:scizor:
Respectfully, your Scizor set sucks ass. X-Scissor is STAB, sure, but it doesn't offer much BESIDES being STAB. Not like there are a whole lot of Bug weak mons in the tier anyway. If you wanna run a Bug move, it should be U-turn for momentum purposes. Also, if it's your only Steel-type, you NEED it to be bulky enough to take on Tapu Lele, and just going max HP with no Roost is not enough for that. With this in mind, I've adjusted the set to be bulkier.
Fini version: This one gets to run Swords Dance by virtue of having Fini there as a Defogger. I could've run Defog on Tornadus instead, but that would require it to not be Assault Vest, and that would leave the teams with absolutely no answer to Ghost-types.
Koko version: Since this did not have Defog on it already (again, because of AV Tornadus), Scizor has to run Defog here.

:garchomp:
Respectfully, your Garchomp set also sucks ass. As a word of advice, tanky or defensive mons want to invest into HP before either defensive stat 90% of the time. Going all into your defenses with no HP doesn't really help much, and tank Garchomp wants some Speed investment anyway so that it can be faster than things like Nidoking. You also desperately need Stealth Rock to help Sceptile's otherwise middling breaking power, and if you're not running the Heatran version that role falls to Garchomp. Also: Metal Claw is garbage. Garchomp literally learns Iron Head if you had to run a Steel move and that's objectively better in every way, but you don't need it anyway because every Fairy in the tier crumples to Earthquake.
Fini version (with Volcarona): Going along the Tankchomp ideas here, this one has Leftovers with Toxic and Protect.
Fini version (with Heatran): Since we have the extra Stealth Rock user here, Garchomp is free to run an offensive set with Swords Dance and Scale Shot.
Koko version: Going back to Tankchomp here, but with Flamethrower instead of Protect and Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers.

Teams (click the mons for the Pokepastes)
Fini version with Volcarona: :sceptile::tapu fini::volcarona::tornadus-therian::scizor::garchomp:
Fini version with Heatran: :sceptile::tapu fini::heatran::tornadus-therian::scizor::garchomp:
Koko version: :sceptile::tapu koko::slowbro::tornadus-therian::scizor::garchomp:

So there you go. Again, I really do think that Sceptile is not at all worth using in this tier and you should stick to lower tiers if you want to use it. I also think it should be on a much more offensive team than this if it's used, but that would've required me to change more mons than I'm allowed to. So, this is what I've got for you. If you want my opinion, the Fini versions are better than the Koko version, but you can use whichever one you want and play around.

Last edited:
There’s not much else I can add to this besides a little note of encouragement. We all start somewhere. When I started a couple years ago, I really wanted qwilfish on my team, but sometimes it takes a stranger on the internet telling you that your favorite Pokémon is shit and completely unviable for you to get better. And hey, now I suck a little less at teambuilding. So don’t get discouraged by that wall of text Keep trying and you’re guaranteed to improve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)