Movie pokemon metagame changes

Quagsire: 63.2% - 74.4% (2HKO)
Gastrodon: 48.6% - 57.3% (2HKO) only if you roll an average of 53% (considering Leftovers)
Lanturn: 37.7% - 44.4% (not 2HKO but without a reliable recovery move...I don't see lanturn walling Raikou though it can status screw it but on 1 on 1 Raikou will win)
Don't forget that you're coming in as it uses Calm Mind (or an unboosted attack) so it's not like you're switching in one turn and dying the next. Quagsire and Gastrodon are either:

1. going to force Raikou out without taking damage.
2. going to get hit by an unboosted attack, then force Raikou out, allowing you to recover off the damage.
3. take an attack and KO back with Earthquake.

Lanturn isn't really anything new. If Raikou has Sub + an attack other than Thunderbolt / HP Ice then you'll lose. If it's 3 attacks, you can paralyze it before you die. Aura Sphere wont be much different than Extrasensory already is. Obviously, all three are in for a rude awakening if it's running HP Grass.

Aura Sphere is significant against other Raikou counters as well. Registeel and Umbreon are 2HKOd by LO Aura Sphere. Unless I'm missing something, Raikou can now beat any of it's counters with one of the following sets:

Thunderbolt / Aura Sphere / Extrasensory / CM
Thunderbolt / HP Ice-Grass / Substitute / CM
Thunderbolt / CM / Rest / Sleep Talk
Rain Dance / Thunder / Weather Ball / Aura Sphere (Rainly LO Weather Ball OHKO's standard Steelix and Claydol!)

and before I get 1000 replies about how that doesn't make him broken...that's not what I'm saying. In fact, some of them are quite specialized (only RestTalk beats Blissey, only HP Grass beats the Water-Grounds, and the first set is vulnerable to status).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Don't forget that you're coming in as it uses Calm Mind (or an unboosted attack) so it's not like you're switching in one turn and dying the next. Quagsire and Gastrodon are either:

1. going to force Raikou out without taking damage.
2. going to get hit by an unboosted attack, then force Raikou out, allowing you to recover off the damage.
3. take an attack and KO back with Earthquake.

Lanturn isn't really anything new. If Raikou has Sub + an attack other than Thunderbolt / HP Ice then you'll lose. If it's 3 attacks, you can paralyze it before you die. Aura Sphere wont be much different than Extrasensory already is. Obviously, all three are in for a rude awakening if it's running HP Grass.

Aura Sphere is significant against other Raikou counters as well. Registeel and Umbreon are 2HKOd by LO Aura Sphere. Unless I'm missing something, Raikou can now beat any of it's counters with one of the following sets:

Thunderbolt / Aura Sphere / Extrasensory / CM
Thunderbolt / HP Ice-Grass / Substitute / CM
Thunderbolt / CM / Rest / Sleep Talk
Rain Dance / Thunder / Weather Ball / Aura Sphere (Rainly LO Weather Ball OHKO's standard Steelix and Claydol!)

and before I get 1000 replies about how that doesn't make him broken...that's not what I'm saying. In fact, some of them are quite specialized (only RestTalk beats Blissey, only HP Grass beats the Water-Grounds, and the first set is vulnerable to status).
Neither pokemon OHKO Raikou without some attack investments. Standard walling sets.

(Quagsire 74.5% - 88.2%)
(Gastrodon 73.3% - 86.3%)

Neither pokemon OHKO Raikou without some attack investments. Standard walling sets.

(Quagsire 74.5% - 88.2%)
(Gastrodon 73.3% - 86.3%)

Yeah but those attacks weaken Rakou enough that he only gets 3 attacks in max and really easy to pick off via Priority.

man, entei is THE fire type counter. Outspeeds basically all of them, resists fire moves and hp grass, and has stone edge. But that's just current entei. I think he will completely outclass arcanine as an offensive pokemon, due to higher stats where it counts and stone edge

I would have loved to have the chance to test out Rain Dance Raikou. By the time the event is released Raikou will most likely be banned, which is pretty dissapointing. Weather Ball's 100 base power would be great for the Rain Dance boost, and a 100% accurate Thunder would be fantastic and rip apart even more However, even if we did get to use it in UU, it would still be banned very very fast and would most likely tip the scale to the BL side. Oh well~

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just wanted to bump this because the nature has been revealed for Entei. It is....Adamant. Theorymon away folks. Raikou's nature is Rash and Suicune's is Relaxed (a -SPE running legendary, gg Gamefreak), in case anyone was wondering.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yay my dreams of running MixCune have come to truth...At least Entei has Stone Edge on his side (even though it can't even outspeed Moltres).

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yay my dreams of running MixCune have come to truth...At least Entei has Stone Edge on his side (even though it can't even outspeed Moltres).
Modes Moltres ftw._. It still packs more power than Arcanine...although Duggy wrecks it. Duggy still sucks though.

well if you run Timid Moltres, Registeel can survive a LO Fire Blast, so that's a sacrifice.

And how does Duggy wreck it? It has LO Extremespeed to deal massive damage to it. edit: whoops got mixed up with Arcanine haha.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The new Entei has Extremspeed, so Dugtrio can just go to hell. Don't want to start a Modest vs Timid debate on an irrelevant thread, but I definitely advocate Timid Moltres over Modest. The reason?? You get outsped by all sorts of things, Venusaur being number 1. You would hate to get put to Sleep Powder the all so common Jolly Venusaur (Or Timid, Naive or what have you). The new Entei would also outspeed and OHKO with Stone Edge, which is crappy.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Extremespeed Entei? Sounds pretty cool...and yeah definitely Timid over Modest although you miss out on some KOs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)