Move/Ability animations thread

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'll try to fix it a bit more later on.

Now, have a look at Mean Look

I think it might look better if the pokemon using Glare has the eyes appear on its side of the field, instead of the pokemon receiving the attack. Similar to how in-game does it.

If you do still add Jajoken's eye particle, and if we want to make the animations more similar to the games, you could use the eye particle for Mean Look instead of the face particle. Although I know we don't need the moves to look identical to the in-game animations, so it's up to personal preference I guess.

Here's the DPP eye/Mean Look particle if you think that would work better. I'd say the downside compared to mine is that it lacks transparency so its less modular between different animations, but I'll admit its a bit cleaner.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Psycho Boost could use retuning animation-wise if you ever get bored. The general idea is that the user charges a growing sphere of energy, lets it loose, and there is a very violent reaction when it makes contact with the opponent.
- gens 3-5
- gen 6

My personal favorite is the XD / Colosseum animation, but I can't find an example of that anywhere outside of the games.
:(

Edit: Oh wow, we have an auto media tag feature now apparently. :o

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
I think it might look better if the pokemon using Glare has the eyes appear on its side of the field, instead of the pokemon receiving the attack. Similar to how in-game does it.
This would work if we had a dynamic background, which we don't have.
So, the thing that makes most sense is the target being animated with the stare.

If you do still add Jajoken's eye particle, and if we want to make the animations more similar to the games, you could use the eye particle for Mean Look instead of the face particle. Although I know we don't need the moves to look identical to the in-game animations, so it's up to personal preference I guess.

Here's the DPP eye/Mean Look particle if you think that would work better. I'd say the downside compared to mine is that it lacks transparency so its less modular between different animations, but I'll admit its a bit cleaner.
Like I said in the OP, I can only use 1 or the other, although, that eye does look cool
Psycho Boost could use retuning animation-wise if you ever get bored. The general idea is that the user charges a growing sphere of energy, lets it loose, and there is a very violent reaction when it makes contact with the opponent.
- gens 3-5
- gen 6

My personal favorite is the XD / Colosseum animation, but I can't find an example of that anywhere outside of the games.
:(
Already on the todo list

Anyway, I lost all the animations I was making until Luster Purge so, please understand

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
So I gave this a try:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So I gave this a try:
Eh, I take back what I said earlier. The purple eyes draw so much attention that my mind keeps thinking that's where the action is happening, so it's confusing. You were right. If we had dynamic backgrounds it would work, but the way things are now, it looks better if the eyes appear on the target pokemon instead of the attacking pokemon.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
I'm still not dead!

I've been trying out how to do a Mud Sport. I still need to fix the positioning.
The hard part is removing the trick room background without compromising the field effect.

(Note: Perspective on Mud Sport varies depending on the one who uses the move:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can I request an Aeroblast animation? Right now, it's sharing the Hurricane animation

I've been loving the upgraded move animations, Ridaz! Thanks :)

Did you ever try a Hone Claws animation? I realized that just having the claw marks wouldn't look right, and then I realized I'm pretty we lack a real shine/sparkle particle (that I've noticed). I couldn't find a good sprite to rip from the games, so I just made my own. The size is reducible, and it could be a different color, but light blue is pretty neutral and similar to in-game particles.

Move possibilities off the top of my head:
  • Hone Claws
  • Rock Polish
  • Mirror Coat
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Flash Cannon
And more questionably...
  • Diamond Storm (diamonds are shiny)
  • Sky Attack (the charging turn states the user is glowing or something like that, so it might be nice to have an animation of some sort -- doesn't have to be this)
  • Some recovery moves (historically many use a similar particle, even Leftovers iirc, but I think most of them look fine already)
  • Misc. Ice/Steel/Electric moves?? (idk Game Freak users similar sparkles in a lot of random stuff)
Feel free to trash it I just do this for fun :]

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Can I request an Aeroblast animation? Right now, it's sharing the Hurricane animation

I've been loving the upgraded move animations, Ridaz! Thanks :)
I'll try thinking of something. If I can't, I'll just give on it until a later date

Could tailwind cause the strong winds background effect, or better yet some directional winds appearing on the appropriate side? As of now tailwind doesn't have any on screen indicators besides the text.
Ok
Did you ever try a Hone Claws animation? I realized that just having the claw marks wouldn't look right, and then I realized I'm pretty we lack a real shine/sparkle particle (that I've noticed). I couldn't find a good sprite to rip from the games, so I just made my own. The size is reducible, and it could be a different color, but light blue is pretty neutral and similar to in-game particles.

Move possibilities off the top of my head:
  • Hone Claws - I think the claw does work. Or I could just use wisps;
  • Rock Polish - Yes;
  • Mirror Coat - If I don't break the animation, yes. To Reflect / Light Screen / Protect too;
  • Dazzling Gleam - Maybe;
  • Flash Cannon - Yes;
And more questionably...
  • Diamond Storm (diamonds are shiny) - Yes;
  • Sky Attack (the charging turn states the user is glowing or something like that, so it might be nice to have an animation of some sort -- doesn't have to be this) - It glows. I can't imagine seeing shiny particles flying from the user
  • Some recovery moves (historically many use a similar particle, even Leftovers iirc, but I think most of them look fine already) - Yes
  • Misc. Ice/Steel/Electric moves?? (idk Game Freak users similar sparkles in a lot of random stuff) - Not sure on this one
I've been using the wisp for shine effects so far, and it's been doing a good job at it, so, I need to think about it
Some answers are in the reply, in case I were to decide to user the particle
Edit: Done thinking. It's happening. Expect some testing around thursday

Last edited:
I just realized there's a more obvious application for a shine particle, but it's kind of a drastic change.
Thought I'd mention it anyway:

On one hand, as a simulator, it makes sense to represent shiny Pokemon as, well, shiny. On the other hand, its much easier to use shiny Pokemon on a sim and the animation could get obnoxious every time a Pokemon is sent out. I think if the animation is made much more minimalist than the in-game one (which really wants you to know you have a rare Pokemon), with just a few quick sparkles that last a few frames, it could be a neat change. Not sure though.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably not the correct thread but,

What's the stance on having Pokemon in certain balls, like event pokemon come to mind since they all come in cherish ball i think it is, so it's a give away that the pokemon might have an event move they wouldn't be able to have other wise.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
I just realized there's a more obvious application for a shine particle, but it's kind of a drastic change.
Thought I'd mention it anyway:

On one hand, as a simulator, it makes sense to represent shiny Pokemon as, well, shiny. On the other hand, its much easier to use shiny Pokemon on a sim and the animation could get obnoxious every time a Pokemon is sent out. I think if the animation is made much more minimalist than the in-game one (which really wants you to know you have a rare Pokemon), with just a few quick sparkles that last a few frames, it could be a neat change. Not sure though.

Thoughts?
Doing it
Probably not the correct thread but,

What's the stance on having Pokemon in certain balls, like event pokemon come to mind since they all come in cherish ball i think it is, so it's a give away that the pokemon might have an event move they wouldn't be able to have other wise.
Definitely not the correct thread but that's been on the todo list for quite some time now

Could tailwind cause the strong winds background effect, or better yet some directional winds appearing on the appropriate side? As of now tailwind doesn't have any on screen indicators besides the text.
I changed my mind regarding this. I tried only making the background show up as a move and it would look too subtle (gray background), and with a trick room, it would look too busy

Is it possible to add a bit of a fade out on the shiny particle? It looks pretty good, just a little...stiff? I don't know how to describe it.

I kind of agree with you on Diamond Storm. Maybe the shines would look better if they were offset from the circles some more? It looks a little strange when they're nearly centered, but maybe that's just me.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Is it possible to add a bit of a fade out on the shiny particle? It looks pretty good, just a little...stiff? I don't know how to describe it.

I kind of agree with you on Diamond Storm. Maybe the shines would look better if they were offset from the circles some more? It looks a little strange when they're nearly centered, but maybe that's just me.
It already fades out from 0.9 - 0 opacity.

I guess:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)