Most Underrated Sweeper?

Persian@ Life Orb
Swift
Water Pulse
Hypnosis
Nasty PLot

Hypnosis is necessary for setup not for counters. It's counters have to have at least one of the following... 1. Choice Scarf 2. Higher Speed BST 3. Priority Attack. Of which you shouldn't stay in if you have to.

I don't consider the "Standard" to be a Sweeper, it's more of a nuisance.
The "Bolt/ Beam" one is alright but I think the stab swift is better all round.

Armaldo is an amazing sweeper in OU to, Given the right move set that is.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hmm, by "underrated sweeper" I am going to assume you mean not OU? Because if it is OU, then it is certainly getting its usage.

So let's see, potential game breaking sweepers in UU or BL that perform very well in OU.

Staraptor and Kabutops would be my initial choices, and they have received their kudos so far.

The other obvious ones to me are Shaymin, Medicham and Azumarril.

Shaymin should have been OU long ago, as Seed Flare + Leech Seed + HP Fire makes Shaymin one of the most versatile Grass Pokemon in the entire game, so I'll skip that reasoning for now.

Medicham is an amazing Pokemon, however. Just for a basic comparison, Adamant Choice Band Heracross reaches 574 Attack and 269 Speed. Life Orb Jolly Medicham reaches 569 Attack and 284 Speed. This means Medicham reaches the same Attack as Heracross, higher Speed and no limit of Choice (I am using Adamant on Heracross specifically because the most common set is Adamant, and it requires Adamant for many of its common 2HKOes, if you decide to argue for Jolly, Medicham becomes 10% stronger for less Speed).

Granted, Heracross gets Close Combat, while Medicham only gets Hi Jump Kick, meaning Heracross actually hits 20% harder with its Fighting move, and with Megahorn it can take care of Cresselia. However, Medicham sacrifices power in its Fighting attack and the ability to beat Cresselia for the ability to OHKO Gyarados, Gliscor and Weezing (something Heracross cannot do), and of course, not be limited by Choice. I'm not saying Medicham is more useful than Heracross, I'm just saying it deserves to be used a lot more than it is.

Azumarril also deserves much more use. Forget about Belly Drum, and look at its impressive HP stat and decent base 80 defenses. I've been running a cool RestTalk set on a cool little team of mine (that btw, I am very proud of right now, you guys might see an RMT soon)

But of course, I am using more as a bulky physical attacker, not sweeper necessarily, so I'll desist on that end for now.

Hmm, by "underrated sweeper" I am going to assume you mean not OU? Because if it is OU, then it is certainly getting its usage.
Well you could also include things that are OU but are not typically used for sweeping purposes, I'd assume.

Scarfpedo. Crunch/Night Slash-Waterfall-Ice Fang-Earthquake. Sure, it can't come in on ANYTHING (Even Caterpie would 2HKO it), but this is one wicked revenge killer. It can opt to go special too, but it won't have Earthquake in that case. Surf/Hydro Pump-Ice Beam-Dark Pulse-HP Electric/Grass goes a long way to compensate for that.
You are betting on a 25 points lower stat though in that case, but it might be worth it. There's also the possibility to go mixed, with:
Hydro Pump/Waterfall-Crunch/Dark Pulse-Ice Beam-Earthquake
If you show off a Hydro Pump, you might lure in Special Walls. Cresselia happens to be weak to Crunch, and Blissey won't like them either.

Does that never get old? XD

I would agree with Jynx on this one. Staraptor is underrated, but no one ever uses Jynx anymore because it's slower. If you BP it agility and Nasty Plot *looks at Smeragle* it's really, really nasty.
Same goes for PorygonZ, Lucario etc, so that point is moot.

Specs Flygon is underrated imo, Draco Meteor is the real reason it shines, it rips holes in things. Levitate and stealth rock resist, as well as STAB earth power set it apart from the other dragons, and people always expect the CB set, or the screecher for some reason.

Maybe Scarf Porygon-Z. It outspeeds nearly anything that isn't holding a Choice Scarf and it hits very hard with it's base 135 base Sp.Atk. Staraptor is also very underrated IMO.

I've occasionally had some luck with "Demi-Garchomp" Gliscor

Gliscor @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Jolly, 4 / 252 / 252
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace / Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Baton Pass
- Roost

It's mostly for surprise. The best thing I get out of it is killing Magnezones who stay in because they run enough speed to beat min speed Gliscor. He makes a decent late-game bulky sweeper as well. While not exactly a wall anymore, he is still has great resists and is only 3HKO'd by most Banded or STABed Stone Edges. If you can keep him alive for 3 SDs, he can fuck shit up. The third moveslot is for coverage of course; or you can BP the hell out of there.

Trick Room Slowking is deadly as well.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Sassy, 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 SpD
- Trick Room
- Slack Off
- Nasty Plot
- Surf

Really shines on TR teams. Does great even on non-TR teams. I like to go wall-vs-wall with this thing. It can take on non-Toxic Bliss 1 on 1 and 2HKO it after 3 plots. It can also take on non-Specs Starmie, as Thunderbolt only does something like 30-35%. Things like these always stay in on Slowking, because they either feel invincible or hate switching out of what they assume is an easy KO. Once you have Trick Room up and start plotting, not many real counters can come in either, since they will always go last and most are slain by a plotted Surf. Makes a great Nape counter if he doesn't have T-Punch.

Toxicroak is a beast in rain, Shaymin rips through everything with Seed Flare/HP Fire/Psychic and can run a LO set to Nature Cure Rest. Scarf/Specs Roserade is good too. And people really underestimate Ninjask. Faster than everything and good enough for a CB.

I have been using Pinsir as a late game sweeper.

Pinsir
Mold Breaker
Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spd
Stone Edge
SD
EQ
X-Scissor

I try to pass a Agility/Leichi Berry Boost from Jolteon and then SD as they switch to something they think can take Pinsir. With his base 100 Def he can take most priority attacks like a pro (a SD'ed Extreme speed for example) he can also live threw a Garchomp Outrage and use the turn to get another SD. If you are really afraid of priority moves you could use quick attack...

no man, the most under rated sweeper is a adament blissey with a CB and 3 SD using egg bomb. remember, STAB + CB + 3SD + blissey= gg XD.

just joking
but i think porygon z holding a scarf and using tri attack is very dangerous, it will for sure put a huge dent on the next pokemon not nameing bissey or resist, and immue. or a specluke, since the SD version is so common now, people often expect SD, but only to get a AS in their face, even resist wall like glicor takes a huge dent

Leafeon is definately a very good sweeper. SD, leaf blade and aerial ace, as well as X-Scissor is a great combo. Not to mention it has a sleep move and Baton pass to work with, and high defence.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I've been running these two on my Sandstorm team to amazing success.

Cacturne @ Focus Sash
Sand Veil
Adamant
6 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Seed Bomb
-Focus Punch

I 6-0 people continually with this set. Not for beginners though as it requires alot of prediction, somewhat eased by focus sash. Focus Punch for when the opponent thinks they can outmaneuver you by switching. Seed bomb demolishes anything weak to it. Sucker Punch OHKOs Gyara after a single Swords Dance most of the time.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Rivalry
Adamant
6 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Megahorn
-Sucker Punch
-Stone Edge

Rivalry puts this things Attack stat up to 389, withought the Life Orb. Basically Garchomp with better movepool, yet slower. Earthquake wreaks massive damage on near anything. Megahorn OHKOs Celebi and Umbreon and probably alot of other shit I haven't tried it on. Sucker Punch is an OHKO on Gengar and Azelf, and does 85% to the standard Starmie. Stone Edge OHKOs Gyarados, Togekiss. Not sure exactly on Zapdos but I know it's at least 81% (Stealth Rocks and 1 turn Leftovers recovery) and possiby 1 HKO.

Yea, Cacturne is a pretty great sweeper, though he does require a bunch of prediction. My friend's set, which I use too, is almost the same, but...

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Brave
252 HP, 252 Att
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Focus Punch
-Sucker Punch

Obviously, my EVs and nature are for Trick Rooming, but it's a similar idea. Basic idea is to grab a sub, followed by a SD. Focus Punch + Sucker Punch pretty much demolishes anything.

This thread has a bit more potential. I would say the most underestimated sweeper is TechiTop.

In case you don't know what it is:

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
EVS: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch

The number of Pokemon it takes out is simply incredible. 60 BP attack followed right after a 90 BP attack which are boosted by Life Orb and Max Attack investement is just really cool.
Dang, i was about to say 99.9% of what you said!

I've used Slowbro with great success, it may not be a sweeper but makes a great tank.

I use:
Slowbro @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 Hp / 80 Def / 176 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Electric] / Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Crawdaunt is also great, and one of the best counter to Cress.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 Hp / 252 Atk / 58 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Brick Break

How is Garchomp underrated?
Lots of people use him. I do however agree with your registeel comment. a few speed passes and maybe an attack boost, and that's really hard to stop.
If I was baton passing shit to him, I'd rather give it to Metagross, Garchomp, or anything really =/

No, registeel sets itself up and sweeps teams.

Sarcasm is hard, so sue me. :3

metagross is in my view better if you are passing speed and/or attack even over garchomp.
and isn't registeel really classified as wall or tank?

my money is on infurnape and its insane type coverage

Raikou. It can set up on Vaporeon, Suicune etc. and get rid of the main counters of Pokemon like Lucairo and Garchomp. Garchomp and Lucario's top counters include Gliscor, Bronzong, Skarmory, Suicune, etc. all whom Raikou can beat to set up Garchomp or Lucario late game.

The set I use is

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I was reading this thread and hadn't really agreed with anyone else but Raikou is definitely something I forget every now and then since its so rare. It is a pain in the ass to take down and can set up on a lot of Pokmeon.. a real threat if you're not running Blissey or some mean coverage.

Persian with Technician people. I know it's not as good as Ambipom but I have given Persian some interesting movesets.

Persian Technician; Jolly/Naive/Adamant

Items (None or Focus Sash)

Fake Out
Bite
Thief
Aerial Ace

Fake Out actually deals good damage but less than Ambipom, Bite is there to annoy Psychic and Ghost pokemon like Gengar...with a 30 percent chance of flinch. Aerial Ace is there to counter Fighting Pokemon and particulary Heracross. And Thief is a viable option incase you lose Focus Sash...just take the foe's precious item the the foe is likely to vulnerable without the item.

CB Tauros, its incredibly badass but has just been outshined now in the metagame of bulky sweepers like TTar and Garchomp

The classic ADV gen build

Tauros w/ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Intimidate
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Return

it has the same base speed as gengar, and a solid 100 base attack stat. Unfortunately not much else can be done with the move pool, which is the only real issue. However, its such a great switch in on things like Heracross, Infernape, and Tyranitar where it outspeeds and OHKO's.

It's one of my favorite leads.

He's been mentioned alot, but I'm still going to have to go with Kabutops. I think once people catch on to how ridiculously powerful he is, he'll start seeing some use like what happened with Mamoswine. The only real problem he has that I can think of is that he can't really get past Swampert, but even still, he is an incredibly potent threat. In the rain he can outspeed every pokemon on the game, and not many pokemon can stand up to a double STAB Waterfall off Life Orb boosted base 115 attack, and most of the ones that can can't take a STAB Stone Edge or a X-Scissor. He has some problem switching in, but atleast he has that decent defense stat helping that out.

I also have to agree about Sub/CM Raikou, Staraptor, and Azumarril. I've used all of them extensively, and they've all been incredibly effective.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Cacturne is the most underrated sweeper.

Cacturne @ Focus Sash
Adamant
6 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Seed Bomb
-Focus Punch/Counter

With 1 SD, it can OHKO gyarados with a STAB Sucker Punch, and in the sand is a monster. Counter is good for physical sweepers, but Focus Punch helps against those lucarios who think they can SD

I have not seen very many of these on Wi-Fi...so I am going to say Special Sweeper Honchkrow. I know that I underestimate it's power. It has great Spec. Attack, Attack, and Hp. It has a pretty good movepool too. It also has the ability insomnia which makes it so it can't fall asleep, meaning it can sweep without the trouble of sleeping and you can switch it in on a pokemon that's about to put one of yours to sleep. Go Honchkrow =D.

Edit: Dragon I completely agree with you, some of my teams have gotten wrecked by them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)