Project Monotype Winter Premier V Team Dump

Azick

Love Sosa
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
1706498208982.png

With MWP coming to an end i'm glad to announce the Monotype Winter Premier League V Team Dump Thread!
This thread will serve for the people who played MWP to post the teams they used, teams that didnt see the light of day and whatnot.​

Rules
  • This is for teams used in, or heavily considered for use, in MWP V ONLY.
  • A Pokepaste would be preferred in terms of formatting. Sprites would also be a helpful addition.
  • Descriptions/stories about the teams are allowed (encouraged, even) but consider using a spoiler tag if they end up being very long.
Congrats to the Gotham City Glam(fraud)eows for winning the event !
But we all know the Staraptors were the real winners :) clown show

Last edited:

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hello its me the Yapper of the Glameows (I was informed in recent hours I said over 10k words in the server I really need to get a Job holy fuck). Not too many teams that felt worth sharing, but I did have a few babies worth posting I think.

Raging Bolt Dragon - Semifinals
:Gouging-Fire: :Archaludon: :Hydreigon: :Dragapult: :Baxcalibur: :Raging-Bolt:
https://pokepast.es/0d9f1f914f36f395
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotype-739347 (Scarfire vs Booty)
I hadn't used dragon even once come semi-finals, and with a tough opponent ahead I decided to play it safe as far as the matchup game went, and focus more on the specifics of the build. I generally preffered Latios + Roaring Moon as the final two (over Bolt/Hydreigon) but I found trying to solo Steel with Gouging was difficult, and certain flying/water builds ended up becoming entirely prediction reliant on Latios. Unchoiced CM Latios sets I had also tested and they just felt iffy and easy to lose with. I decided to use Hydreigon, it soft-covered for both Roaring Moons job of helping Dragapult threaten and beat down ghost/psychic, but more importantly helped aid the steel matchup. It also gave me the ground immunity that I desperately clinged to Latios for. Raging Bolt helped patch up the jankiness into Flying/Water. I opted for Magnet over some defensive item due to my fear of the Fairy/Fighting matchups, with the extra boost helping to claim kills easier. Fighting became difficult with Dragapult forced into a scarf role instead of its usual hex-wisp stuff, and fairy was harder when I no longer had a scarfer capable of OHKO-ing Flutter. Dragapult or Bolt always helped put Flutter within range of the other. The Bolt spread lives a specs moonblast from flutter after a calm mind, and can take a good bit of important attacks from Chien (Icicle Crash from full, 2 ice shards/+2 ice shard from full, and 1 choice band ice shard even after something as dire as 3 spikes/rocks + 2 spikes). Gouging Spread was originally just to take 2 specs Greninja ice beams, but style.css optimized it more to still take that, a +1 Ursaluna earth power, and with enough EV's left to outspeed up to jolly Dnite/Mamo.

Life Orb Valiant + Dual Water - Finals
:Flutter-Mane: :Azumarill: :Klefki: :Hatterene: :Iron-Valiant: :Primarina:
https://pokepast.es/d3d5114551c8988e
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotype-741243 (Dugza vs Tarre25)
Started as a very simple fairy. You have your big 3 of Specs Flutter Mane, BD Azumarill, and Klefki. In previous weeks I had ignored Hatterene as I believed it wasn't very capable of beating most types and it felt quite worthless, but with the progressing weeks I found the ground matchup would often come down to whether or not Azumarill is hit by toxic spikes. In previous metas we used to use Hatterene with Heavy-Duty Boots so it remained unaffected by toxic spikes, but here I really needed it to be switching INTO the tspikers; so I decided to bring back my son covert cloak Hatterene from MPL. Lets it stick around longer to irritate/force out Pex and Clodsire, and against other types it just exists as a hazard setter pivot that spreads nuzzles. Mystical fire is definitely an option for pelting down Excadrill, but I found early game spikes usually was scary enough. Originally there was a Mimikyu over the Primarina, but with more thought, ghost/psychic seemed less and less likely, and even if they were to show, I trusted Dugza would be able to win regardless. Instead we decided to focus on the issues of the expected matchups; fire and dragon. While Fire is usually just a game of spamming Power Gem with Flutter Mane, I was concerned about turns where something like Heatran would switch in, forcing Flutter out and intoooo...nothing!. Something would die. Similar issues would occur with stuff like Gouging-Fire being in on the wrong turn in the dragon/fire matchups, so we decided to slap on Primarina. Psychic Noise was necessary to help block Gouging's healing, and we decided to stick to Torrent to be able to hit Clod/Pex and further disrupt those types. Lastly, Iron Valiant. Just wanted some set to help beat down flying/water/steel (originally I had shadow ball for gholdengo over sneak but the others agreed on sneak to snipe Flutter Mane and such). Life Orb was something I just put on because I wanted close combat to be able to ohko the stupid Ogerpons, as both of them were huge issues. It ended up doing wonders.

Just Optimizing Ground! - Finals
:Hippowdon: :Excadrill: :Landorus: :Clodsire: :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: :Mamoswine:
https://pokepast.es/46111a530e320576
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotype-739931 (Maroon vs Fraolain)
Not much new going on here, its a standard 6 sand but I just wanted to drop this because I feel this is as optimal as I managed to help make sand ( maroon 's testing and input rly helped). Banded Excadrill as a spinner rarely/almost never actually wanted to waste turns spinning, so putting X-Sciz for Wellspring + Dark/Psychic and last move Rock Slide (couldve been Rock Blast in hindsight for sub birds/sash ceru lol) to secure kill on stuff like Talonflame vs fire / just a free click into fire to also pop Heatran balloon felt better. Along with the loss of spin, I decided to suggest Heavy-Duty Boots on Ursaluna-B, as the spike-heavy types (Garchomp dragons, darks, steels) all happened to be types threatened mainly by Ursaluna. In steels case there is of course the birds to consider, but fortunately Landorus is spike immune. Landorus I kept orb > scarf because outplaying iron defence skarm and setup corviknights is just unnecessarily painful and awkard with scarf, but it definitely is an option. Despite no scarf we kept Sludge Wave because being able to take a hit from Hearthflame and secure an OHKO back came up a lot in Maroons testing games. Decided to do tspikes > toxic Clodsire because it is the only real way to make sure Azumarill doesnt just win instantly ahead of time (you have outs depending on how the game plays but still), and it also is the second best way to deter ID Zama from just winning (Lando can only force it out like once, you have to manage to kill sneasler and tspike up again in that time or just position better around the Zama, using whirlwind or just abusing its lack of immediate defence boost after 1 switch out). Last change was just jolly on mamoswine; when I was laddering to test my dragon the week prior, I felt like everytime I won the ground matchup it was because my adamant baxcalibur outsped and destroyed the adamant mamoswine. Problem removed. Also covers jolly breloom, mattered a whole Once for me on ladder. Crazy.

Walking Wake - Finals Tiebreak
:Walking-Wake: :Greninja: :Toxapex: :Ogerpon-Wellspring: :Swampert: :Samurott-Hisui:
https://pokepast.es/cd1ef8ace610d864
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotype-742974 (Scarfire vs Mind Gaming)
With Dragon, Fire, Flying, and Fairy all feeling like they were at the top of the meta, and all being potential loads into me, I wanted to try to get a bit creative with my choices. Balance water was something I had wanted to try all tour but the major issues in these matchups needed solving. How do I break goodra-h dragon and articuno flying with just Greninja, and how do I beat fairy without just getting overwhelmed. To answer question 1, I decided on Walking Wake...with knock off. Both dragon and flying are hard pressed into the same answers as greninja, so knocking Articuno's boots and spending the game pelting it down with flamethrowers > switching to spdef toxapex felt like an optimal way to force out its roosts and eventually ice beam my way through with Greninja. Specs risked issues like getting protect scouted by Gliscor, and vs dragon I really wanted wake to stick around especially into garchomp spikes builds, so boots seemed solid. Being unlocked w/knock off also made it a great steel-breaker. For the fairy situation, I just kept it simple and dropped dark pulse on greninja for toxic spikes, as greninja has an easier time setting surprise tspikes vs fairy. I still wanted a strong dark hitter, and something to pressure balances/dragon even further, so I went with scarf samurott. The spikes chip racking up vs steel/water/dragon was extremely helpful, and the scarfed ceaseless/knocks into ghost or psychic were pretty brutal, and served as a solid way to force out Dragapult which is otherwise annoying. With all that done, two final issues arose; one was that while I could break steel and dark, if spikes went up on my end, late game Kingambit could reverse sweep and even kill through Samurott. The other was, while I could pelt down Articuno with Walking Wake then go into my pex; then what? I play the pp war game and risk losing my Enamorus switch in pretty early? I decided to put Encore on Wellspring to handle these problems, Encore locking Kingambit into anything makes it suddenly something you can abuse, and if I can force Articuno to roost or sub on Wake/Pex, I can hard into Wellspring and encore. Even though its insanely risky, I only realistically need to accomplish this play one time, then he is far more on edge and more open to messing up and getting toxic'd or getting a pokemon caught by Cudgel as he predicts encore. The mindgames felt more in my control that way.

Short thoughts on the meta/this tour
This metagame has definitely been rough, with every DLC ramping up the power level substantially, and it happening in the midst of MWP was unfortunate. Beyond being just a mess of broken mons, every type plays a very linear game of sack-wars, and it just doesn't feel very engaging. It does seem like this sentiment is widespread and shared, and as I am writing this I see the survey for the tier is very boldly marking off tons of pokemon. I've had the pleasure of teaming with a good chunk of the council this mwp, and hearing you guys' thoughts and experiencing this meta together was fun. I know a good bit of you really want to help make this tier better, and I hope the playerbase follows up on that with the voting on both surveys and suspects. I wish you all luck.

This being my last post regarding MWP, I decided to save shoutouts for here, sooooooo..
This tour was pretty great, I enjoyed being a part of the glameows, chats had a good presence and I felt more open to being myself around you guys. I want to thank Neko and shiraiki for drafting me, I hope I was worth it.

Neko thank you for doing the slug work no one wanted to, obviously in both managing but also scouting and posting your thoughts in every chat. We didn't get to converse in detail much due to timezones but it was still nice being around.

shiraiki You had a hard season but I was being truthful every week when I said I believed you could win. Everyone on the site knows how a bad run feels, do not be disheartened and Keep Moving Forward. Maybe we can team again in MPL and you can show off better, that is my hope for you atleast.

DugZa maroon genuinely very glad you two managed to turn it around and not finish with negative records, especially considering how dire our season started. And you guys did it with some pretty powerful displays in the finals too. Was good to see what you guys can really do, taking a rough start and turning it into a tough finish. Glad we could win it all.

Meta rarre Sificon I didn't interact in you guys' chats much at all because I didn't want to pretend to be helpful where I wasn't. In spite of that you three popped the fuck off and gave us hope to win despite how painful SV was going. Thank you for the continued wins, every week started with me crossing off you guys' games as won already, I was that confident in you guys.

style.css Much like the 3 above I wasn't a part of your process in the tour, but you were a part of mine in helping optimizing spreads and just being someone i could bounce thoughts off of. I loved watching your games as well; you are a good teammate, plain and simple.

sapphiree Ethereal Sword Petele Leafium Z plunder boomp611 I liked chatting on and off with you guys in basically every chat lmao, we all hopped around quite a bit. I enjoyed your presences, and a lot of you were hopping chat to chat trying to help any way you could which I really appreciated seeing. Was fun, hope you guys enjoyed your time with the glameows as well. I would be happy to team with you guys again anytime. Although, Ethereal, if you mention Fezandipiti again in ANY of my teamcords I will personally see to your permaban.

Attribute thank you for your help in the final weeks, as everyone probably noticed I ramble off my thoughts a lot and having someone to confirm or deny if an idea is stupid or solid was helpful.

And lastly, a shoutout to myself for talking so fucking much holy shit apply to a job man Scarfire

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
hi everyone. in this post imma just go through my general thoughts on the meta now that the tour is over, as well as post some teams/sets that i came up with that we, the pandas used, and perhaps some that weren't brought but are probably worth mentioning. this time around i really did try to make an effort to try and horse sv throughout the entire tour cause 1) i felt like it 2) being more "ahead" than the other teams puts you at a large advantage and 3) Floss was useless so i kinda had to. to start things off, this is what my personal tier list on the types are. (important: this is my opinion!)

Personal Type Ranking:
S: Dragon
S-: Dark / Steel
A: Fire / Flying / Fairy
B: Fighting / Water / Ground / Ghost
C: Poison / Psychic / Normal / Ice
D: Grass / Bug / Rock / Electric​
S:
im sure everyone can agree dragon is by far the best type. very little consequences for running it, you really have to prep for it if you want to beat it and even then you can still lose to it due to how flexible it is. it has at least 9 viable mons that you can justifiably fit on a team and feel good about bringing, and all those mons cover a wide variety of types. really can't say anything bad about it.
S-:
next, dark and steel. these 2 types are, in my opinion, pretty consistent at beating dragon (especially dark), but fall short from the same tier as dragon due to their heightened struggles with the rest of the type pool. dark imo is very underrated if you mess around with it in the builder and put some actual thought into it, and not assume putting pao and gambit on the same team means you're gonna win every game ever. prepping for other dark teams is pretty much memes (pao speed ties) but id say can be fine vs the other types. steel can be a bit shaky vs dragon but still fairly doable if you play well. i think it has a chance vs nearly everything except fire, and even then it can still technically win vs it.
A:
fire is capable of beating essentially everything except a well played ground and dragon. a consistent way of beating ground is probably possible but i don't think it has been explored yet; ogerpon typically isn't enough. this mu hasn't been played since w5 iirc so maybe im wrong. dragon feels possible but a consistent way of beating it hasn't been done yet i don't think, and being owned by dragon in this meta hurts it. flying can beat dragon if you play extremely well and the other dude mess up or never flinch your mons with baxcalibur. sd baxcalibur is nightmares but flying can deal with other variants of bax just fine probably. id probably go as far as saying its capable of beating all the types, just can't do it all simultaneously, so you'll have to pick and choose what you lose to. fairy i think is pretty ass usually but its capable of beating nearly everything, just not simultaneously.
B:
the stuff in this tier and under id probably never bring to a tour (as of now at least) but something has to be b tier, so yeah. fighting vs dragon heavily relies on them having a lati or not. can be potentially ass vs dark/steel/fairy which hurts it but it does decent vs a couple of stuff i suppose. water i for sure think is trash, i struggle figure trying to beat out what it beats sometimes. i feel like at most it can only beat like 4 types at once which is... lol. ground was good but fell off a bit once people realize fairy is in fact real and jolly glaive rush baxcalibur is an epic pokemon. its a pretty one dimensional type which people have people quickly adapted to; if you asked me how good ground is ~w5 i probably would have said its the 2nd or 3rd best type. with that being said, this type definitely has potential to be messed around with. i think sandless variants can be real cool, even sand variants can be messed with by using a gliscor. ghost is probably inbetween b and c but its closer to the b types. it will lose hard vs the s- types but its pretty decent into dragon, just have decent gouging fire counterplay. very hard to play with sometimes but i figured its worth a mention.
C/D:
these types are either for sure ass or just not experimented with enough and can probably be good. if you know me i do not entertain anything below b so... them shits are not getting talked about.

overall, i don't think this meta is as bad as people say it is but it can kinda suck to build sometimes. playing it can be fun though. while this isn't necessarily healthy (to some at least) i like the idea of just bringing dragon every game and expect to win 80% of the time. i think there are some match ups that involve actual thought which is always a good thing.

now, onto the teams. i mostly spent time talking in sv/natdex so they will be the focus of this post. i messed around with threat a little bit in later weeks of the tour but wont be going into them cause 1) its only rly played in mwp anyway and 2) i griefed sometimes.

SV:
https://pokepast.es/58d315aa38279923 :hydreigon: :baxcalibur: :dragapult: :archaludon: :latios: :gouging-fire:
i think we used this lol. you can run several variants of dragon; its pretty hard to find a combination that sucks. i only have 3 in my saved builder so im just posting the one i liked the most. sub np hydrei is a nice way of dealing with steel since you can't expect gouging fire to do all the work. great way of dealing with water since you sub on pex and some of the other mons on the type. ground immune so band exca wont beat you. jolly sd glaive bax is the only bax set imo, outspeeding mamo is too important + you want to get the most from bax in mirrors as possible, so you at least want to tie other baxs. best mon on the type by far, you can never drop this. spa scarf pult > phys scarf pult due to the existence of archaludon. can also revenge exca in sand. speaking of archaludon, this is lowkey the 2nd or 3rd best mon on the type. excellent rocker, lives all types of stupid shit. latios also functions as a way of not losing to eq spam but can switch into landoi which is always nice. prevents you from getting destroyed by fighting. gouging fires impact on the metagame is crazy, usually can't drop it.

https://pokepast.es/aec7bc86cac60a3a :mandibuzz: :hydreigon: :muk-alola: :kingambit: :chien-pao: :hoopa-unbound:
floss used this vs tmoi w7. i saw suspense use these np tr hoopa which was cool so... i stole it. hazard removal is pretty whatever on dark for me cause mandi is kinda shit at removing hazards anyway and having uturn + toxic on the same set seemed real nice. respectable band exca switch in and can toxic bloodmoon which is always convenient. as mentioned before on the dragon writeup, hydrei is great vs water/steel/ground. muk + kingambit should? make you okay vs fairy. i really like psy fangs > sword on pao due to how much it can save you vs water/poison/fairy/fighting. you will lose to other darks but its basically a 50/50 with sword anyway, and crash/sucker/sacred pao isn't a reliable steel answer anyway.

https://pokepast.es/4f9d935fde413883 :chien-pao: :sableye: :kingambit: :ting-lu: :roaring-moon: :hoopa-unbound:
ikiarihs used this in the finals vs clean. i really liked the np tr hoopa idea so i tried it again. you can't have sableye + mandi on the same team without the team feeling super passive so i ended up with this. typically, no mandi leads to sableye + tinglu since you need a way of dealing with gouging fire/exca/other things. twave on sab can surprise people pretty hard, night shade so you don't lose to zama. tinglu can be heavy slam > eq to somewhat own fairy. no hydrei/mandi -> air balloon gambit so you don't lose to eq. pretty efficient at making progress vs ground as well. this pao covg is excellent -> its here again. no mandi means you need a goltres/hoopa so you don't lose to bloodmoon off the bat. i went with hoopa as its just better all around and the np tr set is just solid. does wonders vs water/flying/fighting. skarm switch in that isn't named sableye but isn't gliscor food. roaring moon is underrated on dark imo, due to its ability to deal with fire pretty well. this set is pretty ratchet but i think its what makes it worth it. switching this in on scarf shifu's strikes means its gonna be in range of +2 suckers from pao/gambit, making the rain match up super doable. another cool thing about helmet moon is that it fucks up skarm real bad, which makes pao/gambit a lot scarier. no1 really knows what moon is gonna do on dragon so you can just bluff scarf and surprise dd on something and just be in a nice position just off of that. one of the teams i really enjoyed making, recommend trying it out for sure cause its pretty fun. this may be kinda hard to use though

https://pokepast.es/fb016650d1d3d7d4 :klefki: :clefable: :flutter-mane: :azumarill: :primarina: :iron-valiant:
i think skarm used this w6, maybe someone else as well i don't remember too much. this is fairly standard and can probably be improved upon. i always thought hatt was ass but it might not be bad over clefable. physically biased mixed life orb valiant is really cool, definitely worth experimenting with over ebelt. stop running max speed azu they don't need to be that fast!! prim set can be messed around with. specs flutter is prob the best flutter item, covg is whatever

https://pokepast.es/a703ff13a4945bdd :gliscor: :skarmory: :corviknight: :gyarados: :articuno: :tornadus-therian:
skarm used this in semis i believe. ive experimented with stall flying a little bit throughout the tour, but this is the only one we ended up using. facade/knock glis so you don't run out of pp vs other flying. fire fang/knock off might be worth experimenting with so you can really own steel. i think gyaras alright, i typically use mandi over it, can't remember 100% why i had gyara but.. ye. icicle spear articuno cause goltres was scary but the pp felt nice and i don't think you absolutely need sub. av torn is just a good mon, kinda prevents u from getting owned by ghold.

there's a lot more i can post but im too lazy to write about them + we probably didn't bring them anyway but if you're interested i can share, just pm me

NatDex:
i started building this tier a little bit w5 cause it seemed pretty cool with the new mons and kaiser got a lil bit busy during this time.

https://pokepast.es/28354e18f9e4cd73 :aerodactyl-mega: :gyarados: :moltres-galar: :enamorus: :celesteela: :landorus-therian:
kaiser used this w5. this is pretty much my take on flying. that balance stuff never really seemed appealing to me but they're probably fine. goltres seemed super good and naturally fits into offense so i wanted to try that. zdark goltres > z fly just feels like it covers more. can justifiably run air slash cause hurricane and z fiery wrath have similar targets. gyarados is a pretty underrated mon on flying in general imo. metas where water/ground are used -> gyara shines. metas specifically where gyara learns pwhip makes it a pretty nice mon over the usual dnite. water resist as well, neutrality to ice which distinguishes it from dnite. auto steela fits naturally into offense, put that here as well cause you need a steel anyway. very nice vs dragon/fairy/ground/psychic. scarf enam gets hwish, putting it here is a no brainer. maero is decent as a hazard remover, though the surprise factor of it removing hazards is what can make it effective. similarly, im sure everyone forgot lando got taunt so it makes its appearance here to make gliscor less annoying, prevent rocks sometimes, and check gouging fire. aside from steel, im pretty confident about this team doing well into the commonly used types

https://pokepast.es/9a9d84756d4bf715 :altaria-mega: :hydreigon: :roaring-moon: :archaludon: :kyurem: :gouging-fire:
spell used this w6. this dragon features a lot of cool sets that i think can be implemented into many ndm dragon teams today. no bax means you have to do some stupid shit for your ground counterplay and well, this kyurem is the stupid shit. its not gonna beat ground on its own of course but it will do a lot of work. switching into mamo is super convenient, and can emergency live a hit from band exca. will own water as well since bpress will do a good amount to empoleon should they run it. great weavile answer too if you ever run into that. this kyurem isn't dark food really which is a convenient thing. this malt is super fire. i think all dragons run arch as their way of dealing with dd mega alt, and will be trashed pretty hard when they run into an spa agility alt instead. should they have a hoodra, willowisp shuts it down pretty nicely. a cool thing about wilo malt is that people always expect it to be dd, so they always switch in their steel into it, allowing you to burn it, which benefits pretty much everything on the team. amazing vs dark/dragon, and the threat of malt being dd can be used to your advantage. being able to burn things you normally aren't able to is nice as well. sub dd moon cause the psy mu can be stupid, also back up wincon vs water in case kyurem gets overwhelmed. arch is arch, can't leave home without it. same with gouging fire, though it should be flare blitz > heat crash. scarf hydrei so that you don't lose to eq in case you're inclined to mega your alt, although this can easily be something like scarf dnite/lati etc.

https://pokepast.es/722280ed812691e2 :archaludon: :altaria-mega: :gouging-fire: :kyurem: :dragonite: :roaring-moon:
dugza used this in the finals tb vs dieu. this is pretty much a crackhead version of the team above, with scarf arch so you can run a dd dnite. this dnite set was only used cause bloodmoon was allowed, otherwise always use tpunch > low kick. the roaring moon is supposed to boost speed in sun not attack so change that if you ever plan on using it (remove attack and put it to def)

https://pokepast.es/126a1060ad0772e5 :greninja: :weavile: :meowscarada: :moltres-galar: :ting-lu: :sharpedo-mega:
i made like 7 different dark teams but we didn't get to use any of them, though this was considered in semis. this team is pretty fun not to post though. im a big weav fan, id even entertain using it in regular sv mono even if pao exists. that's how much i like the mon. excellent vs dragon/ground/flying. dbond msharp is unexpected and can catch something, benefitting goltres/weavile or whatever. meowscarada is probably the best scarfer on the type especially now that it got axel. specs ninja got sludge wave which is a nice way of dealing with fairy. goltres is amazing, always use it on dark. hazard removal is easier to come around in natdex mono but its still a tinglu so it was put in. can soft check most things cause the things so damn bulky.

i built a bit more teams than the ones shown here so if you're interested, as always pm me

CAP:
Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 12 HP / 216 SpA / 220 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
this was pretty much my only contribution to cap for the entire season. water was on some justice league shit so this was my way of dealing with it. the strap used this in semis on ice, and sificon used this in the finals vs fog.

Conclusion:
first off, grats on glameows for winning the tour. thank you floss for managing with me, and thank you pandas for making the tour fun. this post mostly serves as a resource so hopefully to those who read it that you can get something out of this, perhaps even look at this tier at a different way than you currently do. as always, thank you for reading and ill see you all in the next tour:blobthumbsup:

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
Hello all, I was the CAP and later LC player for the Po Town Pandas, ending the tour 5-2, the best record on the team. How did I get to that stage? What sort of teams got me the wins? What sort of teams did I lose with? I'll tell you all now.

Click on sprites for teams, if applicable.

Week 1 CAP vs Sae (W)
:naviathan::gholdengo::corviknight::heatran::kingambit::kitsunoh:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-732791

So going into week 1, I have no idea what my opponent is going to bring. I just defaulted to a "safe type" Steel and Steel has a good number of usable CAPs (:equilibra::kitsunoh::naviathan:). Kitsunoh is a jack of all trades, go look at its movepool and it virtually can do anything other than special attacking. I decided to go a utility set with Defog, Wisp and Strength Sap. Naviathan just does a lot of fucking damage thanks to Guts + DD. It's capable of beating walls like Toxapex (watch the game) and obviously it cannot be crippled by burn and Toxic, it also has access to reliable recovery so it's very hard to take on. Ability Shield Heatran because Ogerpon scary uwu I faced Poison, which was a favoured matchup for me since Steel has a good number of stallbreakers like Nasty Plot Gholdengo and Naviathan and eventually I just broke the defensive threats.

Week 2 CAP vs memedose46 (W)
:cresceidon::arghonaut::toxapex::gastrodon::ogerpon-wellspring::greninja:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-733650

Week 2 and it's time to bring some Water. Sure enough this team is not the staple "Fogbound Water" that everyone just spammed because it's a 18 type beater but Cresceidon came out this week and it's quite a good mon thanks to its high speed, good abilities and utility options with Encore, Twave and Recover. Water in regular SV mono is a bit middling atm but in CAP it's a whole different story. Arghonaut, Snaelstrom and Cresceidon fully reinforce water's defensive options, they really can cover pretty much anything in the meta and they're hard pokemon to break because of their access to reliable recovery. The Cresceidon EVs are probably a bit outdated since Cresceidon's speed was nerfed by 1. It was a close game vs fairy and surely if I used Fogbound Water, it would've been an easier game since Snaelstrom just clicks Toxic 5 times and calls its a day.

Week 3 CAP vs Fogbound Lake (L)
:volcarona::kleavor::scizor::lokix::syclant::snaelstrom:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-734013

This game I decided to mu fish not knowing that Fogbound Lake fully intended to use this team >5 times this entire tour and I got cooked. Was not the best bug team I could've built, definitely :miasmaw: would've done a lot better vs Water thanks to Neutralising Gas stopping Arghonaut's Unaware and Gunk Shot OHKOing Cresceidon, not to mention that I was made aware of a Spdef SD Snaelstrom capable of beating Water so ye, not my best team. I do not even have the paste for this since I've revised my Bug teams.

Week 4 CAP vs Taka (W)
:scattervein::klefki::jumbao::flutter-mane::iron-valiant::hatterene:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-735044

After a loss to Fogbound Lake, I had to tell myself "never bring bug again" and "bring a good fucking type ty." I took these 2 lines into account and decided to bring Fairy. I believe I scouted a bit and Fairy was a good option. Shoutout to Concept Everything for bringing up Scattervein at the start of the tour and I decided it was finally time to bring it. Scattervein is the preevo of Hemogoblin, a banned pokemon in mono CAP because it's very braindead. Pixilate Extreme Speed kinda just goes hard with Bulk Up. Scattervein lacks Hemogoblin's Fire typing and Bitter Blade but still has access to Extreme Speed and is a lot bulkier than Hemogoblin thanks to Eviolite, especially behind screens. The rest is pretty much standard Fairy stuff so won't go over it too much. Taka brought Ghost and I almost lost to Sub Spectrier but Scattervein got me out of that tight situation so shoutout to Scattervein. My wincon was basically positioning Flutter Mane to click Shadow Ball 6 times and luckily they were not Spell Tag Revenankh or else I lost to Sneak damage.

Week 5 LC vs anique (W)
:minccino::munchlax::shroodle::doduo::zorua-hisui::meowth:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypelc-736084

I was now delegated to the permanent LC slot this week, which I didn't mind since I am the minority that enjoy Mono LC. This week mono normal was pretty broken since Tidy Up Minccino was still legal and that mon at +1 OHKO'd the entire tier. I of course brought normal staples in :munchlax:, :meowth: and :zorua-hisui:, pivotal mons to have on the type thanks to bulk, speed and typing respectively. :doduo: is also a very strong pokemon thanks to strong dual STAB and 18 speed. and Shroodle is good utility. This game was a mirror match and frankly at preview, I thought this was going to be a 50 50 game, not just because of speed ties but because it did feel like a coinflip game. anique had a Porygon and Starly over me and Porygon is almost broken but I managed to get around it. I also lack the paste for this one since you know, Minccino got nuked the moment this week ended.

Meanwhile in the CAP slot, which I was still the sole builder for...

Week 5 CAP The Strap vs Arase (W)
:venomicon::corviknight::gliscor::enamorus::dragonite::articuno:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-735947

The Strap needed a type and I was like "lets go flying". Flying is not too different in Mono CAP but :venomicon:/:venomicon-epilogue: are notable additions. I went the regular Venomicon, it's a good specially defensive pokemon without being passive thanks to Nasty Plot. It also can boost its already high defence with Stamina. The rest of the team is standard Flying procedure (:corviknight::gliscor::enamorus::articuno:) but I wanted to go DD Dragonite which I find underrated on Flying. We go up against Arase's Steel team which is definitely a hard matchup since looking at this team vs Arase's team and you wonder how I break remotely anything but Strap played around Steel well thanks to DDnite and Np Venomicon.

Week 6 LC vs Sificon (W)
:hippopotas::drilbur::toedscool::trapinch::wooper-paldea::diglett-alola:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypelc-736923

I decided Ground because I was confident that obviously it would beat Poison one of the best types in Mono LC and decent vs Dark as well. Following normal mono with Hippowdon + Excadrill, :hippopotas: + :drilbur: are emulating their parents in Mono LC. Due to the limited number of pokemon, the rest of my team was not difficult to build. Toedscool is a water neutral pokemon, has the average speed of 17 and spins. Trapinch traps and you know, Trapinch is him. Wooper Paldea is copying Clodsire, being a Water immune thanks to its ability and Toxic Spikes go kinda crazy vs non Poison types in LC. And why Diglett-Alola over Diglett? Well the steel one has Sand Force and I already have Trapinch for trapping. Sificon loads Electric into me and I would have to be a pretty bad player to lose that matchup tbh. Tbf, Electric has some decent ground counterplay thanks to :chinchou: and :voltorb-hisui: and even :wattrel: as a ground immune so it wasn't just clicking EQ 6 times.

Week 6 CAP The Strap vs sapphiree (L)
:iron-hands::kerfluffle::revenankh::great-tusk::okidogi::arghonaut:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-736938

Once again, I believe this was a teambuilder diff for me here. We loaded into Fogbound Water again (to no one's surprise) and frankly, if we had a Breloom and I better prepared for this team, Strap definitely could've won this game. He put up a good fight. Maybe also Iron Valiant > Kerfluffle but frankly these guys are pretty similar. Kerfluffle speedties with Roaring Moon and I wanted it because I was worried for the Dragon MU.

Week 7 LC vs kythr (L)
:scraggy::mienfoo::timburr::crabrawler::riolu::croagunk:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypelc-737861

Fuck screens in LC but forgetting my annoyance there, I'm still annoyed that I lost this matchup. I really believe if I had my Croagunk as a special attacker (or even had a Mankey > Crabrawler all things considered), the game would've gone differently. Doesn't help that I couldn't play my last game in semis since it was a dead game. Dark in LC is definitely either the best or 2nd best type in the meta and this game shows it. I have the updated version of the team here

Week 7 CAP The Strap vs Tico (W)
:arghonaut::krilowatt::snaelstrom::greninja::gastrodon::cresceidon:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-737846

Everyone who watched this game probably won't forget about it anytime soon but ye, Fogbound Water vs Fogbound Water and it's basically a stalling fest. Who knows who would've won if Tico didn't get timed out but shoutout THE STRAP for the win. I don't have the team anymore since I've updated it to have Ogerpon-W > Cresceidon but pretty much every CAP player this tour has it somewhere.

Semis CAP The Strap vs Sificon (L)
:ninetales-alola::syclant::chien-pao::baxcalibur::kyurem::mamoswine:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9monotypecap-738795

We had prepared this Ice to beat Fogbound Water so it's a shame we lost vs the Water we were prepared for, Strap lowkey tweeked on this one xD. Ice only has 1 CAP, :syclant:, and Syclant is fast and on both sides of the spectrum. It prefers special sets since Tail Glow is a +3 boost and has stronger special moves than physical. The rest is pretty standard ice with hail setter + pao + two ice/dragons. I forget the Kyurem EV benchmarks, Attribute made them. NVM Attribute posted what the Kyurem did

And that's my first MWP journey. Thanks for Attribute and Floss for drafting me. Shoutout to my teammates you made the tour fun and congrats to the Glameows for winning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)