Monotype Player of the Week #10: rnbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Acast

Hey everyone and welcome to the tenth installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week, I have one of the best Monotype players right now who recently joined the council; rnbs! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

rnbs

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Finn and I'm from Norderstedt which is a smaller town next to Hamburg (Germany). I'm 19 years old and just finished with school and will start studying this or next year. I think my first experience with Showdown was back in 2012 when a friend showed me this site. I left for a quite a while and came back in 2014. Apart from Monotype I enjoy Ou the most. Other than Showdown I really like hanging out with friends and I enjoy all kinds of sports. I have tried lots of different types of sports and stuck with Judo which I have done competetively for quite a while.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
I think I'd go with Articuno in this one. No idea why but I think it looks really cool. Competetive wise Jirachi probably is my favourite mon as I love it's design and that it can fit pretty much any role.

How did you get your username?
My original name was (PpG) R4inboes which sounds really dumb so I made a short tag which is rnbs and I just stuck to that name ever since.

How did you get into Monotype?
Back when I started playing there were only challonge tours and Monotype was the most fun to me as it was the only tier where i was able to win with 4/5 scarfs. When i got a bit better I started making my first friends and just we just fucked around together a bit and played some Monotype every now and then. (s/o Andromeda. Zarif Dream Eater Gengar)

What do you feel you're most known for?
Probably for MPL II and being good at Monotype. Maybe I shoulda also add that I'm the new member of the council which will be another thing people will know me for.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
Probably Mega-Diancie. It's a really strong Pokemon and really fun to use. With it's good speed stat and incredible offensive stats it's able to demolish a lot of teams. While being able to do all of this Diancie still has really nice bulk in it's regular form even when you don't invest any EV's into it's defenses. Furthermore I like to take advantage of the ability Magic Bounce and being able to predict your opponent in order to get prevent or even get up hazards.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
My favourite type to use is flying. I started as a flying trainer and will die as one. I like the variety flying has and even though it's super weak to Stealth Rocks it's still one of the top types. In addition it also fits my favourite playstyle to which I will come back in the next question. My favourite type overall is water. If every type had the variety of viable Pokemons water has Monotype would be super fun. Additionally you can play pretty much every playstyle with all the options water has and also build different teams for every playstyle.

What playstyle do you prefer?
My favourite playstyle definetely is bulky offense. I love being able to tank hits and take advantage of small mistakes which can lead into completely demolishing your opponent.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
I have everything I could ask for. I never could be arsed to contribute to the forums in order to be authed because I am straight out way too lazy. I hang around with the friends I've made on this website and have fun with them which is my main ambition on this site.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
Back when I started I looked up to PK-Kaiser as he used to be in my opinion the best Monotype player and i also wanted to become as good as him. I also look up to all the nice players and take them as role models and try to adapt my behavior in order to become a better person which is a thing that can get you really far in real life.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
If Wyn could finally get some motivation I think he could be the next player to do great in official tiers.

What advice would you give to newer players?
Patience is key. Everyone started with losing most of his games. You will get better over time at this game and with more experience you will start losing less and less games. So if you are really ambitious there is nothing stopping you to become one of the best player at this game.

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?
New mons, new meta, more variety, more competition.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
I change my favourite team quite often but I have always really liked this one as it is a really unique team. It's straight out offensive water and has helped me peaking ladder several times. It has at least one win condition against pretty much every type. The only game plan for this team is: get up rocks -> kill everything.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Icy Wind

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Well that concludes this interview, feel free to ask your questions down below!

Last edited:

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
What mon that is low/not ranked on ANY type viability would you like to see viable in gen 7?

Who's the best (ORAS) Water user in your opinion?

What mon do you think is criminally underrated/underused in monotype (if it's dual type - on which type is it underused)?

Does Andromeda. suck?

How has the Sablenite ban affected your teambuilding?

Thoughts on a Hoopa-U resuspect?

Also grats on council :]

What mon that is low/not ranked on ANY type viability would you like to see viable in gen 7?

What mon do you think is criminally underrated/underused in monotype (if it's dual type - on which type is it underused)?

Does Andromeda. suck?

I would really love to see some more Articuno usage. If Flying/Ice got some strong magic bouncer in gen 7 that would be kinda cool in my opinion.

I have tried moving away from rating players after a single type but the first two that come to my mind are Eien and ArkenCiel

Definetely Starmie on both Psychic and Water. With it's really good speed stat and insane coverage offensive starmie is one of the most underrated threats in Monotype. Starmie is also a nice addition for offensive Water and Psychic teams as a way to get rid of hazards.

Does Andromeda. suck?

Yeah fuck that guy, Arifeen was way cooler! :]

I finally was able to make a Mega-Medicham Psychic team again which is a thing I'm quite happy about as Megacham is really fun to use in Monotype. Other than that it hasn't really affected me that much as I still use the same teams.

My opinion is kind of divided as I dislike resuspects in general. If the council decides to do resuspect mons all the time the Pokemon will eventually get banned and the community won't be happy with the way how we are handling things. Additionally none of the new arguments have convinced me that Hoopa should be resuspected.
Nevertheless I think Hoopa is pretty broken and should have already been banned last time. I would love to leave the Oras Monotype meta in a healthy state so when people play it in things like MPL they will have a more balanced metagame.

Thanks man! :]

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
Which pokemon revealed from Sun/Moon do u like the most so far?

What typing are you looking forward in Sun/Moon?

Top 3 Mono Battlers?

Top 3 Mono Battlers?
To be honest I didn't really keep track with all the new videos/mons but the water starter looked pretty cool.

Fairy/dark would be a cool type.

Top 3 Mono Battlers?

balto, paleo, wyn in no particular order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)