MonoTeams: Shocking Discovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking through the entire first page of RMTs, I realised something quite astonishing.
Imagination is dying in competitive battling.
I had planned to for some time, but this discovery was the catalyst for posting this team, the first in a series of monotype teams which I'll be marking with MonoTeams, hopefully encouraging some more traditional players to experiment a bit in the process.
So here it is, the first I've published and so far most successful monoteam, Shocking Discovery!

At a glance:

And now into detail...

Electrode - Focus Sash - Static
HP 4 - Spe 252 - SpA 252 - Timid
Magnet Rise
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Taunt
My favourite anti-lead in the metagame, he counters so much and generally causes mass crippling. Taunt shuts down the usual Stealth Rock and Trick leads (apart from scarfed Azelfs) Thunder Wave cripples offensive leads like Infernape, and Focus Sash combined with godly speed means it almost always dets two attacks out. Magnet Rise can force switches, especially on Choice Item opponents, opening the gates for a free Thunder Wave. Thunder Bolt is the obligatory damage dealer. All in all, it serves as a great anti-lead, albeit in a slightly suicidal way.​

Zapdos - Choice Specs - Pressure
HP 4 - Spe 252 - SpA 252 - Modest
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Grass
Heat Wave
Signal Beam
When building my team, my first thought was that I needed this bad bird to balance out the teams whopping ground type weakness. As a result, it becomes an excellent switch in. Its above average speed allows it to out run most common Earthquakers and hit hard with Hidden Power. Besides that, Choice Specs heightens Zapdos' special attack to 573, allowing to at least 2HKO just about any common threat with Thunderbolt. Heat Wave is a useful option against Steel types, especially Lucario, who has both STAB attacks resisted by Zapdos' great typing. Signal Beam is mainly a filler, but it has been handy against some opponents, especially that pesky Umbreon.​

Pikachu - Light Ball - Static
HP 4 - Att 252 - Spe 252 - Jolly
Volt Tackle
Quick Attack
Focus Punch
Substitute
You may have expected use of Pikachu's superior Special Attack stat when you saw this little mouse, but when you realise how shallow the Electric type's physical attackers pool is, it makes sense. Besides, suprise is an effective weapon of its own. Volt Tackle, despite recoil, is devestating STAB power coming off a 400+ Light Ball boosted attack, allowing it to be a 2HKO (if not more) against just about any opponent. Substitute is simply the ultimate move on a switch (and Pikachu suprisingly frightens often) allowing a free hit, or the brilliant Focus Punch, the classic Tyranitar bane. Quick Attack enhances its versatility: it becomes a competent revenge killer.​

Magnezone - Life Orb - Magnet Pull
HP 4 - SpA 252 - Spe 252 - Timid
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Fire
Flash Cannon
Magnet Rise
Magnezone is another good switch in, Steel type and Magnet Rise helping to resist common threats, and Life Orb giving it the boost neccessary to cause huge damage to anything. Thunderbolt is classic STAB, Flash Cannon rips through Earthquaking Rocks, and Hidden Power Fire, in conjunction with Magnet Pull allows it to fufill its job as the classic Steel killer, but is mainly used as an effective sweeper.​

Raikou - Choice Specs - Pressure
Att 4 - SpA 252 - Spe 252 - Naive
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Grass
Shadow Ball
Quick Attack
Raikou has great speed anyway, so the boost from Choice Specs makes the monster. Hit first and hit hard is this dog's motto, and coming off a Special attack just shy of 500, you can understand how. Thunderbolt is routine by now, Hidden Power Grass once more making up for it's weaknesses. Shadow Ball provides invaluable type coverage that the rest of the team can't. Quick Attack is filler, but helps in the revenge killing aspect of things.​

Lanturn - Leftovers - Volt Absorb
HP 252 - Def 132 - SpD 126 - Bold
Surf
Aqua Ring
Thunder Wave
Confuse Ray
As a brilliant opponent once told me, bulkiness in itself can be a wall. I think Lanturn fits this description well. An annoyer through the monstorous power of parafusion. Surf provides a different typing, and Aqua Ring doubles the effect of Leftovers, removing the need for a healing move, It's type also means it can take the Ice moves often directed at Zapdos.​

THANKS FOR READING!

You may have noticed a reliance on choice items: it is the teams tactic, use switch ins in the form of Zapdos, Magnezone and Lanturn to help change impetus depending on the opponents types and team strategy. The ability to be flexible around most any strategy is what defines a good team. I believe this team fills that brief. And I hope reading this has encouraged you to mack an unusual team of your own, or hey, maybe even another mono-type team yourself! If you've enjoyed this, you can suggest the next type for me to build a monoteam on: the goal is to have a monoteam for every type! And don't forget that helpful criticism is welcome!​

I like the team at first glance, however, if they do lay down Rocks on you, Zapdos is severely hindered in it's ability to switch in constantly. You need Zapdos to live to be able to not be swept by something at 400ish with Earthquake or Earth Power, such as AgiliGross or ScarfTran. Maybe a set on Zapdos with Roost could remedy this problem, but that's up to you.

If that happens I usually can expend a weaker pokemon like Electrode if he survives, or Pikachu/Raikou (depending on circumstance) for a clean switch in. I usually find most stat buffers are caught out, not expecting a Specs that ensures at least a 2HKO. Also Lanturn, with a touch of luck, can handle it. SRs are a problem though, that I know...

On Pikachu, of some odd reason (at least for me) Light Ball doesn't seem to double it's Attack in Shoddy, so if your using this team in Shoddy it might be worth thinking about changing. And it feels a bit like if your relying a bit much on Zapdos for taking Ground attacks, although your playstyle might handle it. A Rotom Forme might be worthwhile?

I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of your Monoteams, and good luck!

I'm pretty sure Light Ball does, either way the Pika power is more than enough to warrant its being. Forgot entirely about Rotom... I'll definitely think about adding it (how could I forget: I said I liked to be different! But not mentally...) And thanks, Normal and Ghost are in the pipeline, but neither have had enough success yet. Either way watch this space!

EDIT: Oh hello Sith Lord. It's what I get for replying every post. Yeah, we'll have a look at Rotom, but why upset a formula which, for the moment at least, is really working. Quick attack, is a suprisingly effective move actually, although Grass Knot gives me move for thought... gotta love Pikachu!

I actually use a Mono-Electric team myself for Mono-type tournaments and there are a few things your team needs.

First off most tournaments allow for wildcards (if you don't want to add one it's fine, but another flyer would greatly help you).

That Raikou set is sub-par. It is basically a Jolteon with slightly higher sp. Att, and much lower speed. If you want to use Raikou (which you should) you should consider the Sub CM set, which if you manage to set it up decimates most of the metagame.

Rotom-C would greatly help your team, adding bulkiness, a ground immunity, and a way to OHKO Swampert with Leaf Storm. Suggest him over Pikachu, as with Pika's low speed there isn't really that much he's gonna KO.

And finally, aside from Lanturn your team lacks defense of any kind. Zapdos has some good natural bulk, but you should consider investing some EVs in HP/Def, as you have other sweepers with the same coverage as Zapdos.

I don't want to totally change your team, just telling you what i have found works when working with a monotype team. Take some or none of the suggestions if you want, but added Bulkiness and one more ground resist is really needed with Monoelectric.

I think our styles are different, and we'll have to agree to disagree. Raikou also has natural bulk, as does Zapdos: I use Specs to give them a boost in the attacking flair needed. Between type coverage and natural bulk I create effective walls, whilst proceeding to guess switches to get KOes. This tactic has so far served me well, and I'm sure yours does too, but as always, your contribution is valued, and yet another road of improvement I can take.

I would certainly consider using a Rotom, simply because you have that huge ground weakness and Zapdos isn't lasting long especially with specs. I'd use a physically bulky rest talk set as this will allow it to come in more times and take repeated hits. This will essentially act as a sort of glue to your team allowing it to last longer because at the moment, a scarfed flygon or something similar could really rip through your team once Zapdos is gone. I really think this is necessary especially if you want to keep Zapdos with specs, which on a side note I think is inadvisable but if it's what you want. Anyway, overall kudos on using a really fun team!

I admire the courage it takes to make mono teams.

Being a mono Electric team, you don't have Stealth Rock which is a bummer, but it does mean you can get an early start. Since you only have 1 Stealth Rock weakness, I don't see a need for Electrode, or at least that kind of Electrode.

Electrode @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Nature: Rash
~ Explosion
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ Taunt

This is a surprisingly decent lead if you alter the rest of your team a bit. Here is how it fairs against the top couple leads:

1. Azelf- Many times they will Psychic right off the bat thinking you will Taunt, while you 2HKO with Thunderbolt.

2. Metagross - Switch to Rotom-A, who I will suggest next.

3. Jirachi- Eh... most have a Scarf so they may try and flinch you to death.

4. Swampert- OHKO with Hidden Power Grass. Great start here.

5. Infernape- Trouble. If they have Fake Out, you lose. I suggest just switching out.

My next suggestion is Rotom-A over Magnezone. Magnezone although is a good Scizor counter and handles steel-types well, you have trouble with neither of them which is why I'd suggest a Boosting Sweeper Rotom-A.

Rotom-(insert forme here)

EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Speed
Nature: Timid
~ Charge Beam
~ Substitute
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power Fighting

This here rotom-A helps a bunch against your Tyranitar and Lucario weakness, while providing a handy immunity to Fighting and Ground. Fares decently against Blissey to if you get one at full health. All you do is switch in on something that can't hurt you, i.e. Metagross, Bronzong, Scizor, and Charge Beam up, using Substitute to avoid status.

For Lanturn I suggest an EV spread of 16 HP / 240 Def / 252 SpD Calm with a moveset of Thunder Wave / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Confuse Ray. This Lanturn is a serious pesk and is a great Infernape counter.

Raikou is an extremely powerful Pokemon, but I think you are using an inferior set. The EV spread is fine, just move 4 Atk EV into HP. As for moveset, Calm Mind / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting is an amazing set, OHKOing Latias, Magnezone, Tyranitar and many others after a Calm Mind boost. Since you already have a Choice Specs Zapdos, I see no need for Raikou to have a Choice Specs. Give Raikou Life Orb too.

I highly suggest replacing Pikachu with Electivire who has a better ability, defenses, and arguably movepool. It also deals with Blissey a lot easier, who your team may have trouble with.

Electivire @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Speed
Nature: mild
~ Cross Chop
~ Flamethrower
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Ice

This is a powerful mix sweeper who can damage most anything. You have Swampert mostly taken care of with that Electrode lead, so Hidden Power Ice can hit the slower MixMence and Scarf Flygon the switch ins. Bring it in on an enemy's Electric attack, get the boost, and start sweeping. You can also test out some other Electivire sets, here is the link: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/electivire

Good luck.

Well thanks for the opinions everyone. The feedback is all very positive, and I'm so glad so many people are enjoying my team (I hope its most interesting read on the front page)! The jury's out on Rotom, he's definitely coming in, which type/moveset, well we'll experiment. I'll also try Grass Knot on everone's favourite electric mouse (no, not Pachirisu), and since its another popular suggestion, CM Raikou will get a go. I'll also run Ice Beam on Lanturn, with MetaNite's suggested EVs over Aqua Ring, since I need some Ice coverage somewhere. As for Trode, he's my trademark lead, and I play him to a tee. I may try Explosion, but I like him as an anti-lead para spreader as he is now. Thanks all, and I hope to have a new team for you guys tomorrow, I haven't decided on type, so if anyone does have a suggestion, as to say, hm, that's an interesting type, can Uncle hasbeenkoed make a monoteam out of that? That woulsd be helpful!
And again, thanks all!

I have rated several monotype teams already and one thing I don't get is why people continuously refuse to use Wildcards. While it may seem that you have your Ground-type weakness covered by using Zapdos, what if the same Zapdos were to fall? A good Rock Polish Rhyperior or a similar threat can then rip through your entire team with a powerful Earthquake. Therefore, not having a wildcard in your team is illogical. Preferably, your wildcard should be used to resist, absorb, or be immune to major attacking type(s) that your team is weak to as a whole. Monotype Electric is an interesting concept, but most Electric-types are weak to Ground-type moves, so I would recommend that you add a Levitating or Flying Pokemon to your party. Zapdos does not tend to be enough.

Getting deeper into your wildcard: Given the fact that most of your attacks hit from the special spectrum (I do acknowledge that physical Electric-type attacks are not abundant), your wildcard should be able to deal with the common titanic special walls like Blissey and Snorlax. Adding a powerful user of a preferably physical Fighting-type move will greatly help your life; examples of Pokemon that meet the criteria I highlighted previously (Flying-types, Levitators, or Pokemon that resist Ground-type moves in general) include Staraptor and Heracross. To have an easier time dealing with the previously mentioned special walls, you could even replace a member of your team - I'm leaning towards Pikachu here - with Electivire. Good attacking stats across the board and access to Cross Chop means that you will not be entirely walled by Blissey, who can easily break Pikachu's Substitutes, preventing it from using Focus Punch.

Now I'm going to assess the individual members of your team and criticize some of the comments you have made about your members:

Electrode
Please, replace Magnet Rise with Explosion, or even Rain Dance. Electrode is too frail to be using Magnet Rise; opponents will simply finish him off with other moves.

Zapdos
I can't say much.

Pikachu
If I were you I would use Electivire for reasons outlined in paragraph 2.

Quick Attack enhances its versatility: it becomes a competent revenge killer.
No.

Magnezone / Raikou
Really not much to say...

Lanturn
I would replace Aqua Ring with a more useful option like Ice Beam.

By having both a Zapdos and a Magnezone I'm inferring that you're probably using this team in OU. I'm sorry to say that you will get absolutely crushed by other Monotype teams. Players often choose the best and most solid Pokemon for their team; Pikachu might display originality, but there are better choices out there. Your Electrode lead seems to be a poor one as well (exactly how does it fare with the other bulky leads like Metagross / Swampert?), and I'll harshly say that you unfortunately lack the synergy that well-built Monotype teams rely on. This synergy involves using Pokemon with dual-types to hopefully neutralize and nullify the shared weaknesses that the team encounters. You also have a huge number of Pokemon that can potentially threaten this team, in particular top-tier OU Pokemon like Heatran, Tyranitar, Blissey, Mamoswine, and more. I hope that the points I have plainly talked about have increased your knowledge about the Monotype environment and that you will heed my advice in the construction of future Monotype teams (don't make more until you know what to do and you actually achieve at least minimal success with a team).

Riiight, thanks Erodent. I enjoy a harsh dose of reality as much as the next guy, but when a rate edges soul crushing, no one wants to see that. Just about all of the changes you suggested have been suggested, and are currently being tested, and ironically doing worse than previously. The team was buit for OU, and as of yet has not had any huge problems (defeats come from a lack of judgement, it is my fault not the teams), and although I'll admit that the better options are out there, I just seem to be doing better with what I've got. Either there's something wrong with me or the world, and since its more likely me, I'm taking in all your advice. But all this acheived was a re-iteration of what I'm trying. In crushing fashion.

Riiight, thanks Erodent. I enjoy a harsh dose of reality as much as the next guy, but when a rate edges soul crushing, no one wants to see that. Just about all of the changes you suggested have been suggested, and are currently being tested, and ironically doing worse than previously. The team was buit for OU, and as of yet has not had any huge problems (defeats come from a lack of judgement, it is my fault not the teams), and although I'll admit that the better options are out there, I just seem to be doing better with what I've got. Either there's something wrong with me or the world, and since its more likely me, I'm taking in all your advice. But all this acheived was a re-iteration of what I'm trying. In crushing fashion.
Raikou is a horrid choice. It is an inferior Jolteon. Which doesn't need to be with a Specs Zapdos. I suggest you make Raikou the Sub-CM variant, not can it cm up to be a beast of a killer. It also helps you (somewhat) stall your opponent out of EQ's with Pressure and Subs.

And I honestly thought you missed the whole point about Trio, about switching into him. But the fact is he can kill your whole team, and Zapdos who is the only one that can stop is killed by Stone Edge. Meaning he can quake away. For this reason I HIGHLY encourage you to add Rotom-C on your team over Magnezone. Now using a Life Orb set with Shadow/Bolt/Leaf Storm/WilloWisp you can come in a Trio cripple him if need and just blast away at him. TTar who looks like he can quake you to death (and edge) is also taken care of by Wisp.

Pikachu is err fragile. With Choice Scarves and Priorities running around I don't think he is really viable. Replace with something. Electrivire is a good suggestion, I say you run with that.

Also either add a wildcard to spin or get rid of Specs on Zapdos. Switching in and out isn't viable with taking 25% everytime, and replace Signal Beam with Roost. Considering this change you might want to change to a Specs Jolteon instead of Raikou.

Electrode should probably work on not getting completely stopped by Hippo and Swampert, and switching into Hippo's EQ just seems to invite a Stone Edge or Ice Fang.

It is unique, I will give you that. But after the shock wears off (pun!) your team really doesn't hold a light (heh) to the rest of OU teams. I honestly think you can make this a good team, but that IS ONLY if you are willing to add one or two wildcards. Otherwise..it will be lights out.

Wow, I'm suprised this team is still active, so thanks to all the great raters out there, you've really given me a lot to think about.

BalancedPower, I like that Rotom-C, although Pikachu is my Ttar counter, he just needs prediction. Also Magnezone can OHKO them with Flash Cannon. Sadly those guys haven't been getting rave reviews, so I guess their the guys going out.

hhjj, your Jolteon is cool, but that Electrode won't be leaving, he counters just about any lead out there, but it could be a potential Pikachu replacement. Unfortunately if Pikachu gets dropped, then, to put it simply, I will NEED Electivire. He is the only plausible physical Electric other than Pikachu and Raichu... Sooo, if anyone has an Electivire who would work in this team, and the best replacement, I'd like to hear it. Thanks again to all the positively minded raters.
(P.S. BalancedPower, with puns like that, you could write the scripts for the anime, or at least the episode titles!)

Raikou is a horrid choice. It is an inferior Jolteon.
As far as running Choice Specs go, I would agree. Though this team can use a Life Orb Raikou like the one suggested a few posts above.

I see a huge weakness to DD Tyranitar right now. It can easily set up on one of your choiced pokemon then procede to OHKO everything on your team. Same goes for SD Lucario as the only pokemon that isn't beaten is Zapdos who has an sr weakness and no form of recovery. Not only that but you have no way reliable way to deal with other threats such as Heatran, Agility Metagross, and you have a huge weakness to Rain Dance teams, with Lanturn being the only thing that slow them down. It has been mentioned before and I'll say it again, this team needs a revamp, a frsh start. You should also use a Wild Card as it makes no sence not to use one.

Good luck

hhjj, your Jolteon is cool, but that Electrode won't be leaving, he counters just about any lead out there, but it could be a potential Pikachu replacement.
But it can't actually do anything to them. Metagross isn't going to OHKO if you use Magnet Rise but he will get down sr, then your opponent can go to a counter and set up Rocks later if you were able to Taunt him. Infernape can hit you with Fake Out, now you have to hope that T-wave will keep him from moving. Swampert will be trouble as you can't touch him. He can either set up rocks and you might end up using magnet rise expecting EQuake or use EQuake while you taunt, either way you aren't getting rid of him and he can come back later in the battle and get down rocks. I really think Jolt would be a better option here.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I'm no expert on rates (I told you that) but I'll see what I can do.

Raikou should seriously be replaced by Jolteon. You lose some power, but Jolteon is faster and can run the exact same set. You generally wouldn't be using Quick Attack, but I guess it's an option. Also you should use your Wild-card. I've never tried SubRoost Staraptor, but it could really hurt Blissey and lax. Against Bliss you can sub onn the T-Wave and proceed to kill with Brave Bird and Close Combat. You could also try Heracross w/ a Scarf, who rids of Bliss and covers as another Ground resist. You might try Electivire over pikachu. You lack Motor Drive bait, which is a bummer, but with Staraptor it could occasionally work. I'd say use the Physical set with an Expert Belt, since you already have imposing special attackers. Remeber how Scizor OHKO Pikachu with SR, evn though the resist? Ooch. You need something a little more solid than that. I've never used one, but you could try bulky lux, who uses intimidate to come in and can kill bliss with superpower. The choice is yours.

Hope I helped, I know I'm not the best team rater, but I can try. Good luck!

I highly suggest putting a Rotom forme on this team, as he goes with the Electric theme and is the only thing stopping Evire from grabbing a Motor Drive boost and OHKOing everyone with EQ and Ice Punch.

Also, it's funny, when I first looked at this team, I thought 'wow Agiligross sweeps unhindered'. Then I read on and everyone else has found this as well. xD Rotom formes also stop Agiligoss cold as the standard set of MM / EQ / TPunch is totally resisted.

I suggest swapping Pikachu for Rotom-A of your choice. Pikachu is just terrible, regardless of Light Ball and Rotom is infinitely more useful. A defensive Will o Wisp version can also burn things (i.e.: Babiri DDTar has trouble sweeping with Burn on).

Speaking of DDTar, he will find it easy to get a DD in on one of your Choice attackers since he can easily sponge a Tbolt. If you're not against Wildcards, adding a Swampert could help. He also stops Agiligross and DDTar and gives you a decent way of checking scarf Tran.

GL with the team.

Thanks newest raters, SwampertSooner, my newest friend, and xWOLFYx.
Firstly, I am against wildcards. I kind of believe it takes the mono out of mono teams. So you can count on not seeing wildcards in this team or any other mono team I make!

SwampertSooner, Luxray's an interesting choice, something I've got to look into... Jolteon WILL be replacing Raikou, since their nearly identical, albeit that Jolteon is better.

Apart from that, it's ROTOM, again. Which I already said I would add. So I wish people would stop saying it. Thanks.

Apart from that, its Rotom again

Thanks newest raters, SwampertSooner, my newest friend, and xWOLFYx.
Firstly, I am against wildcards. I kind of believe it takes the mono out of mono teams. So you can count on not seeing wildcards in this team or any other mono team I make!

SwampertSooner, Luxray's an interesting choice, something I've got to look into... Jolteon WILL be replacing Raikou, since their nearly identical, albeit that Jolteon is better.

Apart from that, it's ROTOM, again. Which I already said I would add. So I wish people would stop saying it. Thanks.

Apart from that, its Rotom again
Put a Rot-.. oh.
Pikachu is awesome, and while a Pikachu sweep is amazing (and quite funny) to behold, I suggest you replace him with Electivire (as someone else said).
You could go with a standard mixvire, or use a completely physical set, as your team has so many special sweepers.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Adamant
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Defense
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Cross Chop
Earthquake

The only problem I can see is getting the required Motordrive boost. Consider using a Wildcard who could perhaps attract some T-bolts. (I know you said no wildcards, but meh :P)
If you use SpecsJolt, consider a Bulky Zapdos rather than SpecsZapdos.
Consider putting Explosion over Magnet Rise on Electrode, as he is so fragile that any powerful attack will destroy him, even if it's not super effective.

The problem with your team is that it doesn't have enough to counter ground or dragon types, which, in my opinion, is where you will find the most trouble.

Electrode: He's okay, however, the usage of thunderbolt is questionable to me. I would prefer to have 252 attack and explode, since, Electrode's defenses just don't allow him to do anything attack-wise. Better to go out with a bang. Thunderwave/taunt is enough for most leads. I'd take reflect/light screen over magnet rise, too, since Electrode can't do anything to ground types anyway, and pokemon you're assuming that will earthquake... well you can just switch in Zapdos can't you?

Zapdos

He's fine, though personally I would put HP ice on him (it covers ground and dragon types), grass is a little redundant since you already have thunderbolt and heatwave.

Pikachu

Yes, with light ball, Pikachu can do a little damage, however, I would rather have a utility pokemon like Raichu who has slightly better stats and can Surf/Focus Blast or Encore/Taunt/Torment his opponents. Pikachu will not get you any great coverage, and with volt tackle and substitute he will not be lasting very long to contribute.

Magnezone

Seriously reconsider this. A double weakness to EQ means you will never get to switch him in (have you test this team? You claim he's a good switch in but he can't possibly be) and he provides no extra type coverage. What's worse? He's slow.

Raikou:

As others have stated, Jolteon could fill this role, but he's not terrible. Personally, I would replace him with some kind of Rotom, however. He gets stab from shadow ball and provides some added coverage and immunity to fighting attacks (which seem to be choice against electric pokemon).

Lanturn:

Okay, but don't expect any miracles from him.

You're right about people losing their creativity, but for an electric team this is poor. When you do monoteams you really need to consider the obvious: how can you counter your weaknesses? Magnet Rise is an okay move, especially on a lead pokemon, but it means you cannot switch in counters because you need a turn to set it up. A pokemon with taunt/gravity and EQ could annihilate your team, too. So always consider that as well.

Some suggestions:

Pikachu replacement:

Manectric
252 SpA / 252 Spe

Roar
Flamethrower / Overheat
Thunderbolt / Discharge (Discharge for 30% paralysis)
Magnet Rise / Quick Attack / HP Ice or HP Grass

He's faster than Pikachu and offers roar, as well as sporting good damage moves.

Replacement for Magnezone:

Sub Jolteon or Physical Elective (fight earthquake with earthquake!)

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
This thread has gotten a bit out of hand. It seems like you have received a sufficient amount of advice as well. Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)