Mono Player of the Week #1: Pk-Kaiser / Barian

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
approved by scpinion
based off of other potws

Hello everyone and welcome to the first installment of Monotype's Player of the Week!

(credits to Acast for banner (:)

This week, I have a very well known player by the name of Barian, or his old name Pk-Kaiser! He is a very good player that'll start this off. Like every other forum that does this, this'll be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to shoot me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Barian
To start things off, what is your favorite Pokemon?
My favorite Pokemon would have to be Aegislash. Ever since XY came out it was the main Pokemon I had always used on my OU, and MONO teams. I like it alot just because it looks like something a king would use, and that seems very cool to me

How did you come up with your PS! username?
During my 9th grade year in High school, my English class had to read a story, about a nameless, homeless boy who's parents named him Kaiser. He wanted to make a better life for himself and became King towards the end. Kaiser was taken on showdown so I added "PK" to it, meaning Player Kill. I got the name Barian from my favorite Yugioh Series, Yugioh Zexal.

How did you first get into Monotype?
I used to play/Moderate a game called "Pokemon Indigo" on IRC. One of my friends there had introduced to me to showdown, and introduced the Monotype concept to me. I really got into it and ever since I have been playing it.

What Pokemon do you use the most?
My most used Pokemon have to be Mega Scizor And manaphy.

What are you most known for?
I'm best known for being one of the top players in the Monotype Community, and being arrogant in some cases lol, because of my bold straight up attitude

Favorite Type?
My favorite type as of now, will have to be Steel. I really enjoy the defensive and offensive cores that steel can bring, and I can get really creative with it if I need too. Plus I have over 10 Steel teams and I constantly make more lol if i have time

Favorite Playstyle?
In Monotype, I LOVE using balance teams (lol) and it all goes back to defensive cores. I love how certain mons work with each other in a defensive way, but can pack a punch and go offensive if needed. Hazard Stacking is also in my best interests as well.

What players do you look up to or are really good friends with?
Some players that i look up to have to be ABR and bouff. I think both are extremely great tour players and have a really positive attitude. Im good friends with Players such as NJNP Notfalse and Posho, they are all really cool people and great to hang around.

If there was anything you could change about Monotype, what would it be?
Mega sableye and Hoopa would both be banned, and thats really about it. That would fix the metagame in my opinion. If Hoopa Was banned, Psychic Vs Psychic mirrors would be alot more interesting, instead of U turning into Hoopa 24/7. Also dark Would lose one of it's best drfensive cores, and make things like poison have a chance. On the downside Ghost would be crushed.

Any advice for new Monotype players?
Try and be active in the community! I know at times it may seem very hostile and scary, but The higher ups notice when you are trying to do your best and ask for help. Also sell yourself in a positive way! No one wants to hang around someone rude and nasty all the time right? And most importantly remember to always have fun. Everyone wants to enjoy yourself, and it makes us happy to know you enjoy the tier!

Finally, could you post a team with your favorite type and playstyle with a brief explanation on how it works?
Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Claw

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 160 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
With my favorite type being Steel, and my favorite playstyle being Balance, I present you my best Balance Steel team. The point of this team is to hazard stack with heatran and Skarmory, and late game clean with Bisharp and Excadrill for an offensive presence. I used this to peak Mono ladder lots of times and I enjoy using this team.

That's all for now guys, feel free to ask your own questions! :)

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please resist the urge to be rude when asking questions. It is fine to have a bit of fun, but please don't take things too far.

Reactions: lax
What are some things you consider especially important when teambuilding? Like, what roles should most teams capable of filling fill? (In respect to balance)

What are some things you consider especially important when teambuilding? Like, what roles should most teams capable of filling fill? (In respect to balance)
I try to consider if I can check most types in some form of way so that I don't autolose to something, as well as considering having a check for popular mons in the current meta.

Reactions: Zar
ye i agree. Hoopa U suspect when?

Barian in the recent mega sab suspect you voted no ban, whats made you change your mind bro?
After playing the meta (suspect was over at this time period) I realized I made a big mistake and that it was very centralizing and should have been banned.

Reactions: Zar
What is your favorite type to use aside from Steel?

Would you ever consider unbanning an Ubers Pokemon such as Mega Gengar into Monotype?

How do you feel about complex bans? (Type bans etc)

What is your favorite type to use aside from Steel?

Would you ever consider unbanning an Ubers Pokemon such as Mega Gengar into Monotype?

How do you feel about complex bans? (Type bans etc)
1. My favorite type outside of steel would have to be water.
2. Kyruem white
3. Only complex ban I support is aegi!

who is your favorite team to win mpl outside altarias and why?

who do you think is the most underrated monotype player?

what is the most overpowered pokemon or type, at its time, you've ever played with and why?

Do you have a favorite OM? If so, which is it? Are there any OM ideas you think would be fresh and interesting to try to implement?

who is your favorite team to win mpl outside altarias and why?

who do you think is the most underrated monotype player?

what is the most overpowered pokemon or type, at its time, you've ever played with and why?
1. Scizors, because frens
2. It would have to be clearly/the thorn
3. Most overpowered type IMO is water at this time because it can use any play style (Stall, Hyper Offense, Balance) and has lots of creative options that can check every type in the meta if built correctly.

Do you have a favorite OM? If so, which is it? Are there any OM ideas you think would be fresh and interesting to try to implement?
1. I do have a favorite OM, it would be gods and followers.
2. Yes, an other meta where your pokemon take more damage as each turn goes by, starting with maybe 2 HP then going to 4 and so on, but then resets back when you switch it out. Sort of like a slow toxic kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do u think about OM Mono? What's your favorite?

Do you have any idea to balance the meta?

What would be your Steel team if you can use every steel Pokemon you want (Similar than Mono Ubers by the way).

Do you have a "rival" in monotype?

How do you feel about the Monotype Community?
Do you think it has improved or got worse in the past few months?

sceeeeeenes

Banned deucer.
What's your opinion on the pory2/chansey core?

Which is your preferred mega on flying?

On ground who do you prefer; Gastro or Sesmi? Why?

What do u think about OM Mono? What's your favorite?

Do you have any idea to balance the meta?

What would be your Steel team if you can use every steel Pokemon you want (Similar than Mono Ubers by the way).

Do you have a "rival" in monotype?
1. OM Mono is interesting, and my favorite would have to be AAA mono.
2. Ban Mega sableye and Hoops :D
3. I wouldn't say I have a rival, but I do have a list of people who may have been at 1 point (Alice Arkenciel ect)

How do you feel about the Monotype Community?
Do you think it has improved or got worse in the past few months?
1. I like the monotype community a lot!
2. Yes it has improved in the past few months.

What's your opinion on the pory2/chansey core?

Which is your preferred mega on flying?

On ground who do you prefer; Gastro or Sesmi? Why?
1.Balanced
2. Mega Pidgeot
3. Gastro cause it gets recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi!
somebody told me you had a taste for country music, so if you don't mind me asking, who's your favorite country music singer/band?
Haha, I'm not sure what the names are, but the country songs I do like are in the soundtrack of the movie, "Roots". You may look it up if you want.

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Now that you've branched out into more offical tiers like OU and such, what would be your favorite tier and why?

Who would be your all time group of favorite people over the years?

Favorite All time league and why?

Would you approve of like an OM in monotype where x and y and ORAS banlist is free and you could choose all the megas and banned mons and stuff?

and finally....

Free Aegislash 2016??!?!??!?

Reactions: lax
Now that you've branched out into more offical tiers like OU and such, what would be your favorite tier and why?

Who would be your all time group of favorite people over the years?

Favorite All time league and why?

Would you approve of like an OM in monotype where x and y and ORAS banlist is free and you could choose all the megas and banned mons and stuff?

and finally....

Free Aegislash 2016??!?!??!?
1. I would have to say OU, RU, and Doubles because those are the tiers I enjoy the most playing. Also I have lots of friends in those areas that can help me, so it makes it even more fun then playing alone!
2. My mains lol who else? You Balto Kevin just to name a few. WoA squad ect ect ^.^.
3. AM league, because it helped me grow to be a better player.
4. Would break the meta but yes ._.

What type would you reaally wanted to play but currently sucks because typing or lack of depth (question goes more for a type you haven't played much)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)