Monotype Mono-dragon HO help if possible

Hi, I've created a middlingly successful monothype dragon team for ORAS monotype but could use some improvements on it. The team is below:

Drogon (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
This set can check both choice-scarf gardivoir and mega-guardivoir with an iron head ohko. Ice beam is more accurate than blizard, and this pokemon can't be taking unnecessary hits or otherwise I'd probably substitute it for blizard for that extra power.

Nimbler (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Trick
This is the only viable dragon to outspeed cloyster at +2. Once a choice scarf is tricked onto cloyster I can wall it with something and force it out, as if it chooses rock blast I can use garchomp and if it uses icicle spear I can bring in kyurem-b, at the cost of losing latios. I'm not sure if the increased power of thunder nets any extra kos on important opponents though, so it might be worth switching that out for thunderbolt if thunder doesn't. Thunder misses entirely too much and might not be worth the extra power. Trick is also good for crippling annoying walls that try to stall me out such as porigon2 and chansey, which can't survive long without an eiolite.

Missy (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
A nice wincon as well as an okayish wall. It might be worth my while putting some speed evs into this thing to outspeed base 80's though as Latias is usualy the one moing second. I experimented with several other moves besides psychic as that move is not a very nice offensive move even if it does have stab boost. But nothing I tried netted enough coverage. I think ice beam might be the best alternative, but I have that on two other mons already so I don't really need redundant coverage.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Poison Jab
The tank-chomp set. I'm pretty satisfied with this thing. I've replaced fire blast with poison jab in order to hit fairies like azu and togekiss for respectable damage. Dragon tail combined with stealth rock is useful for racking up damage on bug and flying type teams. If only it had more longevity it could take more physical hits, but really I shouldn't be too geredy. 29% damage combined with stealth rock does add up.

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head
- Outrage
I run iron head over earthquake on this set in order to hit fairies who decide to try to switch in on the dragon dance, as it outspeeds all of them apart from choice scarf gar. Lumb berry prevents a burn or paralysis from ending the sweep prematurely, or snapping him out of confusion if he does that instead. THe usage stats advocate focus sash, but only a foolish person would let tyrantrum take a move that would ohko.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw
- Roar
This and Latias are the only sort of defense that my team really has. This thing is really good at taking physical attacks, and even when statused it can put in work. Roar goes through protect, sub and fairies so that I can continue racking up entry hazard damage even if garchomp's taken too much punishment to go on. Dragon claw is there to prevent this thing from being complete setup bait, even though it's still really passive and does pitiful damage.

threats to the team:
steel type teams: steel type teams give this team huge trouble. I have no fire moves on any of my pokemon and don't know what move I can get away with replacing. Means that ferrothorn basically walls everything and I can't do anything back to it. Same with scizor, but that actually does damage, 2hkoing tyrantrum and ohkoing kyurem-b after stealth rock. Mega-scizor usually carries u-turn/bug bite to trounce the lati@s. They also wall salamance, which can't poison them.
ice type teams, because of Cloyster: even with choice scarf latios, an ice-type team can sweep me with even one misplay, causing me to lose my latios so that my opponent can sweep with clyster.
opposing choice scarf kyurem-b: I don't really have any check to this thing either. Even a -1 choice scarf outrage does 75% to salamance, so I lose at least 1 or 2 mons when that hits the field.
sticky web: entry hazards in general are a nuisance, dealing 25% to salamance and kyurem-b and 12.5 to everything else, but the real kicker is sticky web which kills offensive momentum. I can't fit defog anywhere on my team, and I'm not sure whether I would even if I could, as that would lose a lot of momentum. I'd have to give up recover or a coerage move on latias, or switch out every time if I used latios. Luckily sticky web is fairly uncommon as only bug teams and the occasional smeargal run it.

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! that's a really cool team with Mega-Latias but here are a few suggestions that might help you:

Kyurem-B has a lot of potential due to its great offensive stats and movepool and seeing as you already have a scarfer on your team with Latios,I'd heavily recommend you using Life Orb on Kyurem-B over Choice Scarf as one of the threats to your team is Steel type teams and Kyurem-B can put a huge dent on Steel as well as Flying teams due to its coverage.

Another thing that your team lacks is a hard wall-breaker which is usually a Choice Band Kyurem-B or Choice Band Dragonite. As you already run Life orb on Kyurem-B, you should definitely try out Choice Band Dragonite over Salamence as your wall-breaker. A Wall-breaker in my opinion is absolutely crucial on Dragon teams to rip through teams. And Dragon teams generally don't need to run a wall other than Latias and especially in your case as you have a Mega-Latias as your backbone of the team.

In short:
  • (Life Orb) over
    (Choice Scarf) on
    (Kyurem-Black)
  • (Dragonite) over
    (Salamence)

Here are the sets that you should try out

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Hope I helped and good luck using the team! :D

Life orb kyurem-b is a good idea which Il'l definitely use. I think I'll replace latios's ice beam with draco meteor, which is able to ohko opposing scarf kyurem-b which is a big problem for the team, then replace psyshock with ice beam on mega latias. I'm still not sure if I want to replace salimance because of the utility of intimidate and roar. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Zar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)