Monday Night Combat (The child of TF2 and DotA?)

...and maybe Bloons Tower Defense.

Gameplay Trailer (Gives a good gist of what the game is about)
Character Montage (Goes through the six character classes)
Uber Entertainment's Site (with a lot of info on the game)
Wikipedia

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah, Halo Reach beta, whatever. There is where the shit's really at.

...okay, fine, just kidding. But seriously, this looks like it will be a pretty kickass game. If you were too lame to click the gameplay trailer link, keep reading.

Monday Night Combat is a competitive class-based third-person shooter for Xbox Live Arcade with elements of a DotA-style game in it. From what the gameplay trailer shows, you pick a class and enter the field, whereupon "breach bots" (weak AI-controlled units) spawn at your base and automatically head towards the opponent's base, fighting the opponent's breach bots along the way. You as a player can kill both these breach bots and your opponents in order to accrue money, which you can spend on upgrading your class's special abilities to make yourself more powerful or building turrets to defend your base. Ultimately, the objective is to push your breach bots all the way to the opponent's base, where they (not you) can destroy it.

It borrows the art style and the concept of character-based combat (as well as a good amount of the classes themselves) from TF2, and the concept of AI-controlled minions and lanes from DotA. It also has elements of a tower defense game (you need to build towers to defend your base).

The game is slated to be released sometime this year, and, from what we can see so far, it looks awesome.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whoa shit, that looks epic.

Hahaha I love this idea! Two of my favorites games mashed up into one. So its an Arcade Live game and not a disk game right?

Yeah, it's for XBLA. Hopefully, that means the price should be lower than a regular disk game as well.

that does sound pretty interesting. need to get my xbox connected to some interwebs =P.

and just from looking at the art it makes me think of TF 2, though the third from the right makes me think of louis from l4d. oh that man and his peeeeellllllzzzzz addiction =P

Just wanted to bump this thread to say that the game will be out in a week, and the official site has released quite a few new videos, including a couple of "Scouting Reports," which detail each character class, and a gameplay video of a Crossfire match.

(Although admittedly, the developer who's playing the game doesn't appear to be very good at it. =P)

This'll be my last bump for this thread to see if anyone has taken any interest in this. It's been two weeks since MNC's release; I got the game, and it's INCREDIBLE. The gameplay is awesome, the classes are diverse, and the game as a whole is incredibly balanced for an initial release. Most amazingly, the development team consists of SIXTEEN PEOPLE. I'll post a short summary of my favorite class so far.

The Assassin is who I usually do the best with. Most people who play Assassin make one of two mistakes. They're either really really bad and they just grapple people, usually ignoring backstabs and getting frontstabs. They also don't use lunges, dashes, and smokebomb jumping efficiently. The other mistake is when an Assassin who is good at getting kills fails to buy turrets, clear bot waves, or do anything else to help the team. They end up with fantastic KDAs, but their team often ends up losing because the Assassin doesn't provide team support and is focused on getting kills (which isn't all that great since the respawn timer is only a few seconds).

IMO, a good Assassin should be doing, at the very least, three things. Most importantly, they should be clearing bot waves. Assassins are better than the other classes at killing bots because her lunge does massive area damage, her sword does great damage, and she can grapple Jackbots. Secondarily, she should be taking out turrets. It's very easy to get juice as an Assassin if you're clearing bot waves. Juicing up and then rampaging into the enemy base can net you two or three turret kills, which is absolutely devastating to the other team. And least importantly, she should focus on getting kills, but only on enemy players who stray too far from their team. If she attempts a grapple in the middle of the enemy team, she will melt in half a second to focus fire.

That's just a preview of my experiences with this awesome game. I feel like I've played the game a good amount and have a good idea of its balance. If people start taking interest in this, I'd be happy to share more.

I've been meaning to bump this thread but I have a love/hate relationship with this game and have trouble organizing my thoughts. I have not won a single Crossfire match, and I've played about 15 games or so. I love playing Blitz defense mode with a friend or two though, later rounds are bonkers and keeps everybody so engaged. Turret play is ridiculously important and class choice matters a whole lot more.

I play Assassin as well, primarily because if I wanted to shoot I'd rather play another game. But either others have the same mindset or think Assassin is cool because I see a lot of others as well, which makes me feel somewhat guilty because multiple assassin's is bad for the team :/ And with this comes the influx of really bad Assassins, doing much of what you outlined in your post. I play the midfield where I can slow down wave bots and catch stray wanderers for a quick kill. Assassin is essential for defense against Jackbot, both making them vulnerable during animation and doing considerable damage. I will admit that I don't utilize smokescreen as well as I could, usually just to slow blackjacks and give my bots and advantage (and I only recently learned about the jump). I think I play Assassin the way the position should be played, not as a KD junkie with independant goals.

However I don't know how you can assault turrets, even with Juice. They absolutely massacre Assassin, though it's been a bit better since I've gotten a Custom Class and slapped some HP on there. That's why I play back rather than pressure the opponent. Level 3 cloak is ridiculous, you can stand still and it will still recharge, and you're literally invisible, even whilest dashing. I just that backgrabs aren't an insta-kill at lower combat levels, especially given how hard they are factoring in latency issues. After I find myself sufficiently upgraded I prefer to save up and then spam Gremlins against the other team rather than build turrets, they're just so devastating. Most people don't catch on until it's too late, and with waves and waves approaching it's hard to defend yourself. Racks up several kills if you're lacking in that department.

I hate snipers. Firstly, they're just harassing bastards. Don't do anything beneficial for the other team, and love to piss you off. Secondly, their traps are bullshit. If a Sniper's gonna sit in one spot they should know the risk, and when it doesn't pay off perhaps switch to a more team friendly class. But with traps they just plop them down and completely immobilize you, allowing for a free grapple/kill with little to no effort. They're so annoying, both to have on your team (they don't contribute well if at all) and to play against.

So while I think this game is pretty awesome, online play tends to get on my nerves really quickly. I'm sure this could be resolved by playing with a group of friends to form good class distribution.

I'm curious, how long do the matches tend to run? One thing that always irked me about DotA how long it took to play just a single game.

Anyways, this looks interesting. I don't have a 360 so I won't be playing it yet, but maybe if/when it gets a PC port I'll give it a try.

pookar

Banned deucer.
this game is so awesome omg

the only issue for me is the lag that sometimes plagues games at a time. but with or without friends the game is a blast.

btw anyone who is playing, whats your crossfire/level? Im level 46 last time i checked.

I've been having fun with this lately, playing mostly as Tank, who loves enclosed spaces, but can function as a kind of pseudo-sniper with his alt gun.
Assassin's, as popular as they are, I've found the least the threatening to myself. Tank can survive even the backstab and it takes one 360 Spin plus a bit damage to take them out.

I've got Rate Of Fire, Armor, and Skill Regen upgrades in that order, and generally do pretty well. Except on that one circular map the real Snipers rule.

It's unfair to expect any updates so soon, but was there any word on new maps being added in the future?

Assassin's, as popular as they are, I've found the least the threatening to myself. Tank can survive even the backstab and it takes one 360 Spin plus a bit damage to take them out.
QFT.

These crappy Assassins who just go "STEALTH IS FUN" get slapped all the time. You only need Silver armour to survive the backstab and you can Death Blossom to get about 80%+ on them. Usually someone hits them when they uncloak anyway so it's all good.

Decided to buy this after reading through this thread earlier and damn, must be my best XBLA purchase ever. I was beginning to get bored with my other stuff so this is really refreshing.

I've tried all the classes and I'm definitely maining Tank. Currently using:

Gold: RoF (Increase fire rate on Rail Gun and dps on Jet Gun)
Silver: Armour (Survive an Assassin's backstab)
Bronze: Reload Speed (Faster reload after Death Blossom)

Loving it.

Imo they really need to stop the ability to buy Juice in Overtime. You get matches where the enemy sit around for 15 minutes then just buy Juice in OT and rape your MoneyBall.

Other than that, it seems pretty balanced imo. Gunners get a bit annoying, but as long as you outrange them you're fine.

I'm curious, how long do the matches tend to run? One thing that always irked me about DotA how long it took to play just a single game.

Anyways, this looks interesting. I don't have a 360 so I won't be playing it yet, but maybe if/when it gets a PC port I'll give it a try.
I think the game timer is 15 minutes and then 2 minutes of overtime. Whoever destroys the Moneyball during that period of time wins. If they aren't destroyed, whichever team has done the most damage to the other Moneyball wins. And if the Moneyballs have equal health, whichever team has made the most money wins.

Imo they really need to stop the ability to buy Juice in Overtime. You get matches where the enemy sit around for 15 minutes then just buy Juice in OT and rape your MoneyBall.
Overtime is rather stupid at the moment. The game shouldn't go into OT if one Moneyball is more damaged than the other, and it should just declare whichever team has done the most damage the winner.

However I don't know how you can assault turrets, even with Juice. They absolutely massacre Assassin, though it's been a bit better since I've gotten a Custom Class and slapped some HP on there. That's why I play back rather than pressure the opponent. Level 3 cloak is ridiculous, you can stand still and it will still recharge, and you're literally invisible, even whilest dashing. I just that backgrabs aren't an insta-kill at lower combat levels, especially given how hard they are factoring in latency issues. After I find myself sufficiently upgraded I prefer to save up and then spam Gremlins against the other team rather than build turrets, they're just so devastating. Most people don't catch on until it's too late, and with waves and waves approaching it's hard to defend yourself. Racks up several kills if you're lacking in that department.
Shurikens work wonders against turrets. If you didn't know this, your first sword/dagger attack or first few shurikensp out of cloak are auto-crits.
Therefore, you can cloak, fire shurikens, cloak while you're reloading, fire shurikens again, and you'll end up dealing a surprising amount of damage to turrets.

I hate snipers. Firstly, they're just harassing bastards. Don't do anything beneficial for the other team, and love to piss you off. Secondly, their traps are bullshit. If a Sniper's gonna sit in one spot they should know the risk, and when it doesn't pay off perhaps switch to a more team friendly class. But with traps they just plop them down and completely immobilize you, allowing for a free grapple/kill with little to no effort. They're so annoying, both to have on your team (they don't contribute well if at all) and to play against.
Haha, I know how you feel. The thing is, Sniper trap placement is actually very predictable. On AmmoMule, the bridges are fantastic camping spots for Snipers, and they will usually drop a trap near the jump pad and a trap near the entrance from the central hub. To circumvent this, you can just smokebomb jump to him. If you have a sword, front grapple should instantly kill him unless he has Gold Armor (which most people seem to be running nowadays, unfortunately).

I've been having fun with this lately, playing mostly as Tank, who loves enclosed spaces, but can function as a kind of pseudo-sniper with his alt gun.

I've got Rate Of Fire, Armor, and Skill Regen upgrades in that order, and generally do pretty well. Except on that one circular map the real Snipers rule.

It's unfair to expect any updates so soon, but was there any word on new maps being added in the future?
Tanks are basically the hard counter to Assassins. They don't die to backstabs, take minimal damage from front stabs, and can set the Assassin on fire to make her cloak useless. That's why I tend to avoid them when playing Assassin unless they've been already weakened. =/

Eka (one of the developers) confirmed that they would be releasing DLC for the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)