Moltres - Burn Baby Burn

Throughout this whole discussion it seems as if people are saying that moltres is uncounterable or extremely difficult to be dealt with...but i would like to bring up another discussion not only about moltres but about fire types in general in this UU metagame...

Blaziken
Arcanine
Moltres
Houndoom
Magmortar
Ninetales
Typhlosion

Those are probably the top used fire types in the UU metagame...(I would say charizard, but people have started to realize it's just an inferior moltres) We all know what the best counter is to all those fire types, Milotic...Milotic is one of the key elements in this metagame right now to stop fire types from running through entire teams...of course all these fire types are easily revenge killed and THANK GOODNESS FOR STEALTH ROCK...Not alot of them are fast, but fast enough for UU and powerful enough to turn any pokemon in UU they run into OHKOs-2HKOs

Throughout this whole discussion it seems as if people are saying that moltres is uncounterable or extremely difficult to be dealt with...but i would like to bring up another discussion not only about moltres but about fire types in general in this UU metagame...

Blaziken
Arcanine
Moltres
Houndoom
Magmortar
Ninetales
Typhlosion

Those are probably the top used fire types in the UU metagame...(I would say charizard, but people have started to realize it's just an inferior moltres) We all know what the best counter is to all those fire types, Milotic...Milotic is one of the key elements in this metagame right now to stop fire types from running through entire teams...of course all these fire types are easily revenge killed and THANK GOODNESS FOR STEALTH ROCK...Not alot of them are fast, but fast enough for UU and powerful enough to turn any pokemon in UU they run into OHKOs-2HKOs
Stealth Rock is the whole reason there are so many fire types in UU (well, that and that Dragon resists Fire, but that hasn't been a problem for other types in OU that Dragon resists, notably Water).

Anyway, I've considered trying a Fire-themed heavy-offense team using three heavy-offense Fire types and three supporters to overwhelm Milotic and then use the remaining Fire sweepers to plow through the rest of the opposition. Moltres and Arcanine are obviously necessary for such an endeavor; Blaziken's lack of a Stealth Rock weakness (as well as the SD version's ability to bait Milotic) also makes it appealing for that purpose. Worth consideration, anyway.

Ninetales and Typhlosion are too weak to be useable in UU; Magmortar is selectively useful but only for the surprise factor.

Houndoom sees little use as well, although I'm not sure it deserves to be used so rarely. I thought Cresselia would see it spike in usage, seeing as it's immune to Psychic and neutral to Signal Beam and can set up and hit Cress with a STAB supereffective attack, but apparently being specially based is still death for all but the most ridiculously overpowered beasts. And of course CMCress builds up on the special side, making it harder for NPDoom to set up and Dark Pulse her away.

Small mention for Entei on that list. Poor movepool but nice stats. Can run a Sunnybeam/CM (which can make substitutes that Chansey cant break) set, double status.
For a while Entei leads spiked in use (probably to deal with froslass). People realsied he was jsut better than typhlosion.

Anyway, I've considered trying a Fire-themed heavy-offense team using three heavy-offense Fire types and three supporters to overwhelm Milotic and then use the remaining Fire sweepers to plow through the rest of the opposition. Moltres and Arcanine are obviously necessary for such an endeavor; Blaziken's lack of a Stealth Rock weakness (as well as the SD version's ability to bait Milotic) also makes it appealing for that purpose. Worth consideration, anyway.
Sunnybeam Moltres can lure and 2HKO Milotic. Life Orb, Sunny Day / Fire Blast / Solarbeam / Roost. Moltres is also a good check to Hitmontop who want to ruin Houndoom's sweep.

I made a team a while back that used several Toxic abusing Fire types, since Toxic + Fire STAB gives amazing coverage in UU, as Steels and many Poison types can't stand against the Fire attacks. Over playtesting, I eventually pared the Fire types down to just stall Moltres, and added other things to support him. The resultant team based around stall Moltres is probably the best team I've made.

Sunnybeam Moltres can lure and 2HKO Milotic. Life Orb, Sunny Day / Fire Blast / Solarbeam / Roost. Moltres is also a good check to Hitmontop who want to ruin Houndoom's sweep.

I made a team a while back that used several Toxic abusing Fire types, since Toxic + Fire STAB gives amazing coverage in UU, as Steels and many Poison types can't stand against the Fire attacks. Over playtesting, I eventually pared the Fire types down to just stall Moltres, and added other things to support him. The resultant team based around stall Moltres is probably the best team I've made.
I battled you a couple times with my own stall Moltres team, and we discussed a lot of stuff. Your team is very well built.

Stall Moltres is a monster right now. He can beat so many common threats. As long as he keeps a Substitute up and rocks are off the field, which isn't that hard considering most Froslass are leads which are easily dealt with early and rarely anyone runs double ghost anymore, it can easily take out two or three pokes a match. It even outspeeds max speed Timid Cresselia (which is becoming common) and only loses to Resttalk varients which are not common at all due to the mono-attacking nature of them. (you have to drop defense EVs and add a Timid nature with at least 216 EVs in Speed iirc) Same goes for Milotic, although it's probably safer to Toxic it then switch to something that can sponge Milotic's hits easier.

One of the most attractive and underrated features of using SubRoost Moltres though is Pressure. Almost every poke that runs Stone Edge is slower than Moltres, allowing for easy PP stalling. This includes things like Rhyperior, Torterra, Blaziken, Regirock, Aggron, Donphan, and Toxicroak. Actually, the only UU pokemon that learns Stone Edge and outspeeds Moltres before any boosts is Dugtrio. Tack on that it can sponge random 5 PP moves and actually beat opposing Moltres barring an Air Slash flinch, and you've got yourself a pretty good staller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)