Suspect Mix and Mega suspect 7: Eternatus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mix and Mega Council has decided to suspect test Eternatus!

To anyone familiar with Mix and Mega's history, this suspect test will not come as a surprise. Last generation, Eternatus was suspected and banned twice, and already spent a solid portion of this generation behind bars due to council vote. You don't need to look far to see why - Eternatus is extremely fast, highly bulky, and deceptively powerful, with an excellent typing and coverage that allow it to match up well into the metagame. Offensively speaking, the only pokemon that resist Dragon, Poison, and Fire type attacks are blue orb steel types and the rare Heatran, meaning that into most teams Eternatus can guarentee at least some progress. When you add in the solid chance of poison from Sludge Bomb, even many special tanks like Blissey don't enjoy answering it. Defensively, meanwhile, Eternatus boasts key resistances to types like fighting, water, electric, and fire, but without the weaknesses to fairy or bug that hold back most other pokemon that describes. To make matters worse, Eternatus is free to hold an item, which can allow it to crank up its damage output even further with a life orb or outlast most kinds of chip damage with a black sludge.

However, it's not a one sided argument. Defensive Eternatus sets are often held to fill a valuable role in the metagame of punishing -atespeed and pivot spam, particularly from Red Orb users, while the likes of Slowking-Galar are immune to poison and can readily soak up its attacks. Eternatus' primary Dragon-type Stab moves, Dynamax Cannon and Draco Meteor, are both cursed with limited PP, and while Pressure has its uses it has a hard time stacking up with the powerful abilities most megas supply as a matter of course. Eternatus also suffers from specialization; it can be a solid tank *or* a solid breaker, but not both at once, and especially not if it also wants to be reasonably fast.

Taken together, does Eternatus rise to the level of being broken? Or is it just one more addition to the metagame that people will have to learn to prepare for?

Requirements:

Requirements can be achieved by getting 75 GXE in 25 games on the Mix and Mega ladder. In order to participate in the suspect, you must create a fresh alt (creation date no earlier than 29 Jan 2024) with the prefix MNMETE at the start of the name. When you have obtained the reqs, make sure to post proof of your alt's record (generally a screenshot) in this thread, and if you wish to do so, you can also share your thoughts on the test here.

Voting:
Once the suspect period is over, everyone who has obtained reqs will be tagged. The post will then outline a process of blind voting, which will be clarified once the time arrives. For now, follow the above "Requirements" subheading to ensure that you have posted your reqs correctly. You must post on this thread in order to be tagged in the voting thread, however you do not need to include your vote on this thread.

A super-majority of 60% ban votes is required to ban Eternatus from Mix and Mega.

TL;DR:
- Eternatus is permitted on the suspect Ladder
- The GXE requirement is 75 and the minimum game count is 25
- You must ladder on a newly-created alt using the prefix MNMETE
- You must post your reqs in this thread, though the voting process will happen in a separate thread in blind voting. You are not required to state your vote in this thread.
- The suspect test will conclude at 11:59pm GMT -5 (EST) on Sunday, February 11
- A ban vote of 60% is required to ban Eternatus from Mix and Mega.

Slither Wing

used First Impression!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1706548201427.png

Sloppy run, but I honestly want to avoid the MnM ladder as much as possible so we take it.
Spammed HO that I threw together in like 5 mins, use at your own risk: :Deoxys-speed: :Dragonite: :solgaleo: :magearna: :eternatus: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

I don't feel like Eternatus at the moment is overpowered, and unpopular take maybe, but I'm kind of satisified with the meta as it is currently because I believe there are still a lot of threats that have gone under the radar. Offensive Eternatus honestly feels kind of bad in my opinion, and defensively I think it's very necessary to blanket-check a lot the the things so I'll be voting Do not Ban as it stands.

Clas

my main tier is yes
is a Tiering Contributor
1707695721955.png

Eternatus right now is in a pretty good spot, and I really think this was the wrong thing to sustest. Offensive sets are strong, but Pokemon like Solgaleo and Lugia can abuse it to get free Calm Mind boosts up, and Raikou can quickly wear down Eternatus before doing the same. Weavile and Chien-Pao are at their generational peak currently, and to say that Sludge Bomb is a cheese tool is frankly unrealistic in the current meta. It feels incredibly necessary to deal with the state of the tier, whether its Red Orb, Urshifu, or some random other hidden brokens that plague the tier. Overall will be also DNB, and would like to see some quick action on Red Orb and Urshifu since they're pretty obviously an issue even if they're more answerable than before (barely lol), followed by a double sustest on Lugia and Solgaleo before Eternatus. never mind power herb 4a is stupid broken

ok edit 2 im gonna rewrite this, basically etern feels nice but non-essential while offensive sets are kinda crazy. ill probably be voting ban, but thats mostly as i want this meta to not feel so horrible to prep for and offensive etern is a driving force in that aspect

Last edited:
I'll add my proof when I complete my 25 games.

I think the offensive variants are over rated. Meteor Beam is inconsistent, and still has so many counters. The problems mentioned with it seem to be based on being poorly prepared for it. Meteor Beam sets struggle with Venusaurite steels, which are very strong. It's easy to outspeed and muscle past, gets worn down easily, and has to play around a one time boost from meteor beam, with imperfect accuracy, in a meta with a ton of resists to its moves. It does well against a lot of the trash stuff you see on ladder, but good teams make its impact limited.

Defensive is possibly better, but gets blown out by enough things to not be worthy of a ban. Its ability to pump out strong damage and maintain okay speed even on defensive sets is always strong, but I don't see that total package actually being unhealthy for the meta at all. It's A+/S tier, but that's a crowded space in the current meta.

1706920778049.png

Played a lot of games. Eternatus right now is not at a broken point. But its annoying to deal with. should eternatus be banned? No. Honestly it isnt even that broken with things like cameruptite solgleo and sablenite lugia it can not be considered broken as those other two are at a whole different level. Eternatus also allows a safe switchin to varios mons which could be a problem.
So in my opinion eternatus should not be banned. I vote NO.
Some of the teams i used in the ladder
Team 1 (pokepast.es)
Team 2 (pokepast.es)
Team 3 (pokepast.es)
Team 1 is my fav and cereludge carried a lot.
You may use any of these teams if you like

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
Screenshot (89).png

Leaning dnb. tier has way more options that limit etern that it didnt have last time when we banned it. lugia, solgaleo, lunala, iron boulder, iron crown and deo s give the tier a lot more manueverability into offensive etern as counters, checks and revenge killers. 4a pherb or just 3a agility/recover can be hard to contain in the builder for balance or bulky offensive teams but it don't think its broken, i used these kinds of builds primarily for my reqs and played against screens a handful of times, which is where i feel those sets can be most dangerous. It does have to be prepared for on these types of builds though, and even then screens providing the extra bulk do make it difficult to deal with, especially if teams are lacking options to outspeed etern and cant chunk it enough to be revenge killed. defensive sets arent really pushing it over the edge as they tend to brick hard into glowking/arcpoison/clod and dont offer much more then flamethrower burning more then a handful of steel types. defensive sets also aren't hard for offensive teams to take down in general, besides tspikes being really strong atm.

used a couple different sample teams for a few odd games but used this the most:
ELECTRIC DINO
Zekrom is a 'mon I've been joking about using for a bit and I think this mixed rocker set is pretty solid atm, i might make a post in the mnm thread soon so wont elaborate for too long here but basically mold breaker rocks + bolt strike for corv/mandi, Draco for tusk and epower for eleki lets you threaten the most common removal in the tier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)