Miltank

This thread is about the Gen II pokemon, #241 Miltank, which i just looked over and seems very interesting this Gen with 3 very good abilities to abuse and a surprisingly good speed stat for a cow at base 100. It is not a thread to discuss whether or not it should be banned or a thread to discuss its tiering. keep that in mind as we see what new tricks this pokemon has in the B/W environment.

Miltank
Normal: 95 / 80 / 105 / 40 / 70 / 100

Abilities: Thick Fat / Scrappy / Dream World: Herbivore

Thick Fat: Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage.
Scrappy: A Ghost-type foe can be hit with Normal-type attacks.
Herbivore: Attack rises if hit with a Grass-type attack.
Confirmed Herbivore grants immunity to all Grass-moves, both damaging and non-damaging, and raises Attack one stage when hit by such. The immunity extends even to Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Cotton Spore, Worry Seed, Leech Seed, and Grasswhistle, but not Aromatherapy(dbolt #1, #2)
Moves: B= noteworthy U= situational I= new moves
Code:
[B][U]Level Up:[/U][/B]
Lv1: Tackle
Lv3: Growl
Lv5: Defense Curl
Lv8: Stomp
Lv11: [B]Milk Drink[/B]
Lv15: Bide
Lv19: Rollout
Lv24: [B]Body Slam[/B]
Lv29: [B]Zen Headbutt[/B]
Lv35: Captivate
Lv41: Gyro Ball
Lv48: [B]Heal Bell[/B]
Lv55: Wake-Up Slap

[B][U]TMs/HMs:[/U][/B]
TM06 - [B]Toxic[/B]
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - [B]Earthquake[/B]
TM27 - [B]Return[/B]
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM31 - [B]Brick Break[/B]
TM32 - Double Team
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - [I]Sing A Round[/I] (Troll)
TM49 - [I]Echo Voice[/I]
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - [U]Fling[/U]
TM67 - [B][I]Vengeance[/I][/B] (Get Even)
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM73 - [B]Thunder Wave[/B]
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - [I]Smooth Over[/I]
TM80 - [B]Rock Slide[/B]
TM83 - [B][I]Cheer Up[/I][/B]
TM87 - [U]Swagger[/U]
TM90 - [B]Substitute[/B]
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM03 - Surf
HM04 - Strength

[B][U]Egg Moves: [/U][/B]
Present
Reversal
Seismic Toss
Endure
Curse
Helping Hand
Sleep Talk
Dizzy Punch
[U]Hammer Arm[/U]
Double-Edge
Punishment
Natural Gift
[I][U]Heart Stamp[/U][/I]

[B][U]Gen IV TMs:[/U][/B]
[B]Focus Punch[/B], Water Pulse, Iron Tail, Secret Power, [B]Stealth Rock[/B], Sleep Talk

[B][U]Gen IV Move Tutors[/U][/B]
[B]Fire Punch[/B], [B]Ice Punch[/B], [B]Thunder Punch[/B], Icy Wind, Helping Hand, Snore, [B]Iron Head[/B],
Mud-slap, [U]Zen Headbutt[/U], *Headbutt, *[U]Block[/U], *Heal Bell

[I][U]New Move Descriptions[/U][/I]: 
[I]Sing A Round(Troll)[/I]: NORMAL Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
It attacks the opponent with a song. If everyone sings together you can use
the move in successive turns and have its power increase.

[I]Echo Voice[/I]:NORMAL Special PP: 15 / Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100
It attacks the opponent with an echoed voice. If it or one of its team mates
uses it each turn, the power increases.

[I][B]Vengeance[/B](Get Even)[/I]: NORMAL Physical PP: 5 / Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100
It takes revenge for a fainted teammate. If a teammate is fainted that turn
the attacks power is increased.

[I]Smooth Over[/I]: GROUND Physical PP: 20 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
It stamps out the ground and attacks anything nearby. It lowers the
opponent's speed.

[I]Cheer Up[/I]: NORMAL Other PP: 30 / Power: -- / Accuracy: --
It musters its courage and raises its Attack and Special Attack.

Possible Sets:

MooMoo's Revenge (revenge killer)
Miltank ~ Choice Scarf / ?-Jewel / Life Orb
Scrappy - Jolly 252 speed / 252 attack
Vengeance
Earthquake
Fire Punch / ThunderPunch / Ice Punch
Fire Punch / ThunderPunch / Ice Punch
Details:
This set is aimed to be a Revenge Killer, hitting most threats at least neutrally and hitting hard with a Scrappy Vengeance, which can hit a surprise KO on an opponent who thinks they can switch in Shandera or Gengar as it will be a 210BP Normal attack after STAB and transcends the immunity thanks to Scrappy. Earthquake is mainly for Rock and Steel types that shrug off normal attacks and the Punches are mainly for pokemon with 4x weaknesses to them such as Scizor, Gyarados, Gliscor, etc. If you are not running Choice Scarf, then Milk Drink is also an option if you dont mind less coverage, but as the point is to revenge kill with Vengeance, you most likely will be switching her out soon after.

Kickin' Some Rocks
Miltank ~ Hard Stone
Herbivore - 252 Speed / 200 HP 56 Sp.def
Rock Slide
Fling (100BP)
Body Slam / Return / Thunder Wave
Milk Drink / Thunder Wave
Details:
This is an idea that has been boggling in my mind. Hard Stone boosts the power of Rock Slide if only by a small portion, but still, a boost is a boost. It also allows for Miltank to have a 100BP Physical Dark-type which she otherwise lacks in her movepool, giving her the chance to hit ghosts hard without the use of Scrappy. Milk Drink to keep Miltank going and your choice of Body Slam or Return. Try to come in on an obvious grass type move like a Power Whip from Notterei or a Leach Seed to get yourself a helpful +1 attack boost to aid you. And last but not least you can opt for T-Wave if you want to try and abuse ParaFlinch and Body Slam isnt doing it for you, otherwise go for the power with Return.

Mad Cow Disease (status)
Miltank ~ Leftovers
Herbivore / Scrappy - 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Sp.Def
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Milk Drink / Swagger
Headbutt / Rock Slide / Heart Stamp* / Body Slam
Details:
The Status Afflicter for a Double Powder type of set. It has the option to spread paralysis and toxic poison from a decent speed stat. and while it is against a paralyzed foe that wont switch out, it has different flinching options with a STAB Headbutt, Rock Slide and the new Heart Stamp. I mention Heart Stamp for now, just in case it has a high flinch rate as i have yet to find somewhere that has the flinch rate defined. Swagger is also an option to annoy special attackers and stacks up nicely with paralysis to give them less chances of successfully attacking. Body Slam is there if you’d like to cause more damage and carries the nice chance of paralysis to continue statusing while doing damage at the same time.

Stares at Your Headlights (Stall)
Miltank ~ Leftovers
Thick Fat / Scrappy - 252 HP / 200 Sp.Def / 56 Def
Toxic
Protect / Block
Milk Drink / Block
Body Slam / Block
Details:
This would be more of a classic stall set. Toxic the enemy and then alternate between Protect and Body Slam, remembering to use Milk Drink when your low on HP. Thick Fat should be used to give yourself 2 extra resistances to Fire and Ice, however you can opt for Scrappy to be able to Body Slam some Ghost-type pokemon that might come in. If you are adamant about toxic stalling until your foe is KOd, then you have the option to try and use Block, but it might be more difficult to pull off as you will lose an important move. Beware of Steel-type Pokemon.

Beef for Everyone (threat killer)
Miltank ~ Life Orb / ?-Jewel
Thick Fat - Jolly 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Fire Punch
Brick Break
Rock Slide / Ice Punch / ThunderPunch
Earthquake
Details:
This is a set that is aimed to try to abuse Miltank's many attacking options and her good speed. She lacks the punch necessary for a lot of damage, but Life Orb can help in that area. Her best bet is to try and take advantage of x4 weaknesses like Scizor's fire weakness, Tyranitar's fighting weakness, Gyarados's electric weakness, Urugamosu's rock weakness, Gliscor's ice weakness and Heatran's ground weakness. She can also opt for a Jewel of your choice if you dont like the Life Orb recoil but want to hit harder with a specific move. As there is no form of recovery in this set, max speed is important to take outspeed as much as you can and take as few hits as possible. i haven't tested this so maybe some attack EVs can be replaced with a more defensive spread, leaving only enough attack to get those particular 4x weakness KOs.

Happy and Bitter (2 set-up sweepers]
Miltank ~ Balloon or Chople Berry
Herbivore / Scrappy / Thick Fat - (252 speed 252 atk) OR (252 atk 128 HP 128 sp.def)
Cheer Up / Curse
Return / Body Slam
Brick Break / Earthquake / Thunder Wave / Hammer Arm
Milk Drink
Details:
So here are 2 similar sets designed for the set-up. These sets are all about hard decisions. Choose Balloon or Chople Berry to either have a ground immunity or get rid of that nasty fighting weakness she carries. Next decide which you prefer, a grass immunity with added attack boost, the ability to hit ghosts (especially the Levitating kind), or an ice and fire resistance. Each one of these abilities help Miltank very much, its sad she can only choose one. Now ready with her immunities and/or resistances, Miltank must choose wether to share her joy with everyone or curse at the world around her with Cheer Up or Curse. The EV spreads listed help each one respectively. Return VS Body Slam is power VS paralysis. Milk Drink is a given to heal after setting up. While the big decision is the secondary attack. Brick Break and Earthquake help Miltank get past her Rock and Steel problems, hitting the both super-effectively with either move, but this makes you completely walled by levitating ghosts without Scrappy, and also Bronzong and Skarmory if you choose EQ. Thunderwave is an option on the Curse Set if you want to guarantee you go first, and Hammer Arm is now a stronger option for you over Brick Break since you won't care about speed as much on the Curse Set. Decisions, decisions...

Miltank has a lot of attacking options to hit just about every pokemon out there but lacks a good ghost-type and dark-type move outside of Fling, which is situational and One-Use only, and Shadow Ball which works off of her poor sp.atk stat. It can be played defensively or offensively and works nicely in each niche. It can also play a supporting role with T-Wave, Toxic, Swagger and Milk Drink. Miltank’s nice 100 speed stat lets it outspeed a good chunk of pokemon out there minus Scarf pokemon and the higher speed tier pokemon without a Scarf herself. So most Heavy Hitters will be slower, such as Gyarados and Scizor who might try to set up on her, who she can KO with ThunderPunch and Fire Punch respectively. Her three abilities are also all very good and are all usable. Scrappy aids her revenge killing and is great on sets with just Body Slam as nothing will be immune to her attack, even ghosts. While Thick Fat gives her resistances to fire and ice, and Herbivore give her not only an immunity to grass, but also boosts her attack stat. The three all aid her in whatever the set is meant to do and it gives you a lot to work with while forming a set to use.

Seismic Toss is a good option for Milky with her poor offensive stats. It works great with Scrappy, hitting everything in the game for 100 damage. You might want to mention it in her defensive sets.

Seismic Toss is a good option for Milky with her poor offensive stats. It works great with Scrappy, hitting everything in the game for 100 damage. You might want to mention it in her defensive sets.

Seismic Toss is a decent option and is viable but i did not mention it as i figure with Scrappy she can hit almost anything for more than 100 with STAB Return or Body Slam. And to things she cannot hit with her normal moves, she can use her vast amount of coverage moves like Fire Punch, Earthquake and Brick Break for steels and rocks. Again, Seismic Toss is still very good move but i didn't personally make a set for it because I thought she had better options, but i guess i should give it a mention like you said.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Herbivore is an option on the scarf set, allowing an attack raise and a free switchin.
Curse is the way to go for the last set. Cheer up cant compare :|
I think a Band set would be possible with base 100 speed and herbivore.
Some of those sets are a bit meh, but good analysis.

FINALLY, A MILTANK I CAN BE PROUD OF <33333

I could see a set of something like Curse/Milk Drink/Return/Coverage Move work, after a few Curses Miltank is almost invinsible.

Herbivore is an option on the scarf set, allowing an attack raise and a free switchin.
Curse is the way to go for the last set. Cheer up cant compare :|
I think a Band set would be possible with base 100 speed and herbivore.
Some of those sets are a bit meh, but good analysis.

FINALLY, A MILTANK I CAN BE PROUD OF <33333
I chose Scrappy for Scarf to allow for revenge-killing Ghost-types with Vengeance. But if you have other means on your team to handle ghosts, than yes, Herbivore is the way to go. It however is illegal with the elemental punches as they are gen IV tutor moves.

Cheer Up and Curse run very differently though as with Cheer Up you can actually hit things first, but Curse give you a more bulky attacker. but as bulky as you are, if something comes in with a Focus Blast and you cant out-speed it, you probably wont live to tell the tale. I just put it there for the option, but i too prefer the Curse Set over Cheer Up, lol

Miltank has been one of my powerhouses for a long time now. And believe me, the best set she can run is:

Miltank
Ability: Scrappy
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
-Seismic Toss
-Milk Drink
-Attract/Heal Bell
-Thunder Wave
(252 HP Evs/252 Defense Evs/4 Speed Evs)

She is the Ultimate physical wall, and can even handle some special-oriented Pokémon. If you like having fun, the use the ParAttract combination to hax to death your male opponents, or if you prefer a safer option, stick to Heal Bell and fill a more supportive rol. Anyway, it works wonderfully in OU, so try it!

And with Cheer Up and Hammer Arm you may even outspeed a thing or two :o

I'm going to roll with Curse / Return / Hammer Arm / Rest for a Chesto rest set. Like Snorlax <3

Miltank has been one of my powerhouses for a long time now. And believe me, the best set she can run is:

Miltank
Ability: Scrappy
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
-Seismic Toss
-Milk Drink
-Attract/Heal Bell
-Thunder Wave
(252 HP Evs/252 Defense Evs/4 Speed Evs)

She is the Ultimate physical wall, and can even handle some special-oriented Pokémon. If you like having fun, the use the ParAttract combination to hax to death your male opponents, or if you prefer a safer option, stick to Heal Bell and fill a more supportive rol. Anyway, it works wonderfully in OU, so try it!

I like your analysis, but you designated good moves as bold in your key, but they were different colors instead, minor nitpick but it is a little confusing

I like the sets, and you could run a gimmicky blocker

Miltank @ Leftovers
Scrappy
252 HP / 200 Special Def/ 56 Def
-Block
-Swagger
-Body Slam
-Milk Drink

This is gimmicky, but it can kill bulky, non-offensive pokemon if used correctly, and scrappy lets it hit ghosts. Again, gimmicky, but it can fill a niche.

I like your analysis, but you designated good moves as bold in your key, but they were different colors instead, minor nitpick but it is a little confusing
I apologize for the confusion. They actually are still Bold, only they are colored as well. i was trying to identify their type with colors. that is why the ice punch was blue and the earthquake was brown. it is a bit confusing and i might just take off the colors.

EDIT: Fixed the Colored Bolding to now be regular Bolding

I like the sets, and you could run a gimmicky blocker

Miltank @ Leftovers
Scrappy
252 HP / 200 Special Def/ 56 Def
-Block
-Swagger
-Body Slam
-Milk Drink

This is gimmicky, but it can kill bulky, non-offensive pokemon if used correctly, and scrappy lets it hit ghosts. Again, gimmicky, but it can fill a niche.
Toxic > Swagger.

Easier to wear down.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I haven't seen Vengeance before, so can someone explain to me if it would actually work as a revenge killer on the Scarf set? It seems from the description that it has to be the turn that something faints, and so it would only be of any use in doubles.

Miltank has Burunkeru stats and Milk Drink. It doesn't block Rapid Spin, but it does block non fighting physical attacks well.

That's also quite fast for a cow.

I haven't seen Vengeance before, so can someone explain to me if it would actually work as a revenge killer on the Scarf set? It seems from the description that it has to be the turn that something faints, and so it would only be of any use in doubles.
it has been confirmed, despite its wording, to work the turn AFTER a pokemon faints. meaning it is NOT just for doubles as many people would assume. it in fact Doubles the base power to 140 the turn after your pokemon faints that is why it is viable for revenge killing

Have we had confirmation that Herbivore actually gives you immunity to grass moves? I seem to remember the 3 legendary horses having the one that boosts a stat when hit by a Dark move, but they DO take damage from them (I can attest, I use the Rock/Fighting one in-game)

Have we had confirmation that Herbivore actually gives you immunity to grass moves? I seem to remember the 3 legendary horses having the one that boosts a stat when hit by a Dark move, but they DO take damage from them (I can attest, I use the Rock/Fighting one in-game)
everything i have posted has been confirmed, otherwise i would not have posted them. yes it has been tested and should be on the Research Thread. the one titled "B&W Research Thread - read before discussing Pokémon" which everyone is supposed to read before posting in the Uncharted Territory Forum. i have done my research and made sure not to post any false information.

Confirmed Herbivore grants immunity to all Grass-moves, both damaging and non-damaging, and raises Attack one stage when hit by such. The immunity extends even to Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Cotton Spore, Worry Seed, Leech Seed, and Grasswhistle, but not Aromatherapy(dbolt #1, #2)

Herbivore is a p hot ability. Finally something to counter those nasty Grass annoyers. Although nearly any Herbivore set needs either Fire Punch and/or Ice Punch unless Return does sufficient damage to Grass-types. (Does it? I don't really know. Haven't used Miltank much. I'll run calcs later. ie tomorrow probably)

Miltank has Burunkeru stats and Milk Drink. It doesn't block Rapid Spin, but it does block non fighting physical attacks well.

That's also quite fast for a cow.
Has "Burunkeru stats?" What? No, I believe that he has less hp, greater attack and defense, less special defense and special attack, and more speed. That's not really Burunkeru, unless you mean like a switch between special and physical then yeah, I can kind of see it.

Good analysis OP. I like Miltank, but meh, it's not my favorite poke in the world, and I never use it. It's useful, but for many of its purposes, maybe minus a scrappy curse or cleric set, there are other mons to use.

If Grass attacks are popular, Herbivore could be a really great ability. The Mad Cow set with Herbivore seems good. Miltank looks like it got some great upgrades this Generation.

Extremely happy to see one of my favorite old pokemon getting a nice ability in Herbivore. Not that the other two weren't awesome, I just really like the idea of giving Miltank an immunity, AND a free stat boost. Now I feel like using her as a sweeper instead of just a tank...

Miltank @ Life Orb/Lefties
Ability: Herbivore
Nature - Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Moves:
~Body Slam/Return
~Fire Punch
~EarthQuake
~Milk Drink
I'd use this Miltank to help cover Pokemon like Swampert. Apart from that, it'll also absorb status from moves like Stun Spore/Sleep Powder/Spore(I read that Herbivore ate any grass type move). Now, Miltank is surprisingly powerful, even without much attack investment. With Herbivore and max Atk, you'll be doing tons. I prefer Body Slam for the Paralysis. I've used Miltank on many teams, and Para can really pull through in a crunch, making a potential counter just another victim. EQ is there for general coverage, and hits Rock types. Fire Punch hit's those delicious Grass types for SE, and also deals with Steel types who wanna get up in yo grill. It also coverages Ghosts too. Since you aren't running Scrappy and lots of Ghosts have levitate, Fire Punch helps cover you.

Does Herbivore grant immunity to ALL grass moves? Like grass status like Spore, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, etc? Or is it confirmed its just attacks? If its also status grass moves, she may be a fun counter to Erufuun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)