Miltank (Done)

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Done and ready for upload! Mafeking and Stalfos' GP checks has been implemented. [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>Miltank is a cow on a mission: in the stall-oriented GSC metagame, spreading and removing status is paramount. With the prevalence of moves such as Rest, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, it is more than likely that at any given moment, several of Miltank's teammates will be debilitated by a status aliment. However, because of its access to Heal Bell, Miltank can eliminate these status problems in one turn, allowing its teammates to get back into the battle without any hampering status conditions. Miltank is arguably one of the best Heal Bell users in the game because of its great bulk, Speed, and access to an instant recovery move with no drawbacks—Milk Drink.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it's not all alfalfa and flower-filled fields for this bovine. Miltank faces stiff competition for the cleric spot from Blissey. Miltank also sports a rather low Special Defense that can really hinder its ability to counter major threats in the GSC metagame. Miltank is straightforward and limited, but when given the opportunity, it can provide an excellent support option that should never be overlooked.</p>

[SET]
name: Standard Cleric
move 1: Heal Bell
move 2: Milk Drink
move 3: Growl
move 4: Body Slam
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Heal Bell is the mother's milk of all Miltank sets; with Heal Bell, Miltank can switch in on a physical attack that does little damage, use Heal Bell to clear its teammates' status, and then switch out to a newly-cured team member. Heal Bell is an amazing support move because it allows Pokemon that lack reliable recovery to use Rest, switch out, and then have their sleep removed so they can jump back into the fray at full health. The usefulness of Rest and Heal Bell as a strategy cannot be understated. The extra moveslot is incredibly useful for many Pokemon and allows instant recovery to be viable for many sweepers. Getting rid of nasty poison and paralysis with Heal Bell is also useful, especially against stall teams. Without Toxic damage, many stall teams will struggle to do anything meaningful against Miltank and its teammates. Miltank also has Milk Drink's recovery, which, combined with Heal Bell, can allow Miltank to plop its large derrière down and stall in its own right.</p>

<p>Heal Bell and Milk Drink are great, but Growl and Body Slam are what really set Miltank apart from other Heal Bell users such as Blissey. Compared to Blissey, Miltank has better Speed, Defense, and Attack. Miltank can also use Growl, allowing it to serve as a great Snorlax check by removing the Attack boosts from Curse. Growl Miltank serves as a great check to Curse users in general because it can use Growl's 64 PP to outstall Curse's 16 PP and prevent Curse users from gaining any Attacks boosts with which to sweep. Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Heracross, and Rhydon will all struggle to get any sort of boosts with Curse, and can be easily crippled by Body Slam's paralysis rate. The paralysis rate from Body Slam is especially concerning for opponents without any way to remove status because they will often find themselves crippled and setup bait for the rest of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Miltank also has great Speed, giving it the chance to nullify its opponent's Attack with Growl or use Milk Drink before they land a possibly lethal blow. This combination of bulk and Speed can make Miltank very difficult to take down. Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed, as is the case with Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl, the opponent is forced to switch out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks. Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate serves well alongside Growl by crippling both the physical attacker's Speed and Attack. Miltank is a great counter to physical attackers, but be wary of users of Curse that also carry Substitute, though they are rare. Snorlax with Belly Drum is also capable of breaking through Miltank's defenses.</p>

<p>Miltank is easy to fit on most defensive, and even some offensive, teams. Miltank's ability to remove status easily with Heal Bell is wonderful when paired with bulky sweepers that need recovery but don't want to give up two moveslots to Rest and Sleep Talk. Miltank works well with literally any Pokemon that needs Rest, but also needs to ditch Sleep Talk to help its own coverage. Notable partners include Snorlax with Belly Drum, Raikou, and Suicune. With Heal Bell support, Snorlax can use Belly Drum, attack until its health gets low, Rest, switch out to Miltank, and then switch in to use Belly Drum again once Miltank uses Heal Bell; Marowak is in the same boat, except with Swords Dance over Belly Drum. Skarmory makes a good partner because it can wall the few physical threats that Miltank struggles to take down, such as Marowak and Belly Drum Snorlax. Raikou and Suicune can also work well alongside Miltank because of their ability to take special attacks and to deal out damage with Thunderbolt and Surf, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Miltank does have a few other options it can utilize. Psych Up has its occasional uses; stealing a Belly Drum, Swords Dance, or Curse boost and sweeping is fun, but lacks the consistency of Curse or Growl and is generally a riskier option. Earthquake can be used if you feel like Miltank needs the coverage, and Seismic Toss can be used if you want to have more consistent damage output against Steel-types, but both are generally outclassed by Body Slam and Growl. Curse is a possibility, but Snorlax, Kangaskhan, or Porygon2 will generally serve you much better in that regard.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank is a great support Pokemon, but it isn't without its counters. Special attacks are the bane of Miltank's existence. Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunder to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense. Vaporeon's access to Growth and Surf make it a major thorn in Miltank's side. It can easily set up and shrug off any paralysis because of its low Speed. After one Growth, Surf is almost always a 2HKO. Skarmory, Steelix, and Forretress all resist Normal-type moves and can either phaze Miltank or set up entry hazards. Machamp is also notable because of it is one of the few Curse users that Miltank cannot counter with Growl. Machamp's super effective Cross Chop will do heavy damage, 2HKOing Miltank with no boosts and OHKOing after one boost from Curse.</p>

<p>Any Pokemon with sleep moves will pose a threat to Miltank as long as Sleep Clause hasn't been activated; Pokemon such as Exeggutor and Nidoking work in this regard. Exeggutor can also use Explosion to nail Miltank if need be. However, if Sleep Clause has already been activated or Lovely Kiss misses, Nidoking will be unable to check Miltank, and will find itself countered by Miltank instead. Gengar works as a counter because it takes no damage from Body Slam and has a slew of special attacks to fire at Miltank. Misdreavus works much like Gengar, but with Mean Look and Perish Song instead of an all-out assault.</p>

<p>Forretress also deserves a special mention as a check because of its ability to set up Spikes while taking a pittance from any of Miltank's attacks. Forretress doesn't mind paralysis, and the reduction in attacking power from Growl is not as important to it as it is to Pokemon such as Snorlax. Cloyster functions in the same way with the additional ability to fire off Surfs at Miltank's lower Special Defense stat. Keep in mind that Miltank's high Defense and access to Milk Drink and Heal Bell will make it difficult to wear down with Toxic. However, while time consuming, it is possible to outstall Heal Bell's PP with Toxic, assuming Miltank stays in. Miltank, however, doesn't enjoy being put to sleep or frozen. It cannot remove these status conditions with Heal Bell, meaning that it will be crippled in its main position as a status remover. That being said, strong special attacks remain the best way to take down Miltank.</p>

I think you should mention Growl somewhere in the main sets, it makes Miltank an excellent Snorlax check. Perhaps you could slash it with Curse.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Ok the rough draft is done for Miltank. If anyone has suggestions or can point out grammatical mistakes that would be awesome. If you have suggestions about anything I will be glad to spruce this analysis up!

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
growl is definitely the main set as curse miltank is completely worthless. if anything curse should be added as a gimmick option if for some reason you don't want to use kangaskhan/snorlax/porygon2.

the growl set can outstall almost anything with curse and is a huge hard counter to shit like standard curselax. you should note that you need to be wary of drumlax or the rare sub + curse set.

Miltank may be pretty awesome, but it isn't without its counters. Tryanitar is one of the best anti-(Mil)tank weapons out there. It resists Body Slam, and can fire back with STAB Crunch. Tyranitar should be wary of Earthquake though. A Mixed Curse Tyranitar, while odd, is an almost sure fire counter to Miltank. Because Tyranitar is naturally slow paralysis from Body Slam will bother it less than for the other fas offensive checks. Gengar is another great counter because it takes no damage from body slam, and has a slew of special attacks to fire back. Misdreavus works similar to Gengar, but with PerishTrap instead of an all out assault. Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, Rhydon, and Golem all resist Normal-type moves and can either fire back with powerful STAB moves, or Whirlwind in Skarmory's case. However, it should be noted that Miltank's high Defense and access to Curse+ Milk Drink+ Heal Bell will make it almost impossible to wear down with status. Strong special attacks remain the best way to get rid of Miltank.
tyranitar is countered by miltank, not the other way around. curse tyranitar gets stalled out of moves by growl miltank. add in the chance of paralysis to cripple ttar and switch to someone that can damage it. only a lucky dynamicpunch tyranitar can deal with miltank (or one that gets a crunch spdef down on the switch).

zapdos is a real miltank counter because rest + stalk makes body slam paralysis not threatening, and thunderbolt wrecks miltank.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, Curse is OO material. People use Miltank for Heal Bell support, but also for completely neutralizing Curse Pokemon not named Machamp. Curse only has 16 PP whereas Growl has 64 PP, making Growl the superior choice for neutralizing physical Sweepers. Miltank has mediocre Attack - it's not meant to really dish damage, but to buffer physical hits, spread paralysis, and cure status problems.

It would be a good idea to draw comparisons between Miltank and Blissey, the other Heal Beller. Miltank has impressive physical bulk, deceptively good Speed, and a decent enough Attack to make use of STAB Body Slam. Blissey trades physical bulk for special bulk and must resort to Seismic Toss / special moves, which makes it set-up fodder for many dangerous mons like Machamp, Tyranitar, Snorlax, etc.

There should be a bigger emphasis on Rest-Belling, which not only saves a moveslot that would have been used for Sleep Talk, but allow mons like Belly Drum Lax, SD Marowak, and Skarmory to go right back in action, nuking teams or walling more hits. Basically Heal Bell is used not only to cure status thrown from the opponent, but also makes Rest a viable recovery move without Sleep Talk.

As for Counters, Growth Vaporeon is one of the biggest one, as it shrugs off Seismic Toss / Body Slam while it boost its Special Attack. At +1 Surf is pretty much a 2HKO.

This analysis seems to imply that Miltank is also a sweeper, but it's not. It's a beller that also happens to wall some cursers/mixsweepers if you need to, namely snorlax/ttar/rhydon/heracross/dnite(sort of) as well as Nidoking and Gengar if they can't sleep you (although Miltank can't touch Gengar you can stall out most of them). Miltank likes Growl for that reason, to stall out cursers and still be able to neutralize curseroarers. Body Slam is there because it can para.

In the team options section you should probably mention the classic stall core (electric/lax/water/spiker/skarm), how can speed up drumlax, and help other sweepers that hate statuses. I actually lol'd with HP Heracross (I swear) and why mention Alakazam in GSC?

Counters i'd say ST Zapdos/Raikou and ST Vap (who can set up into Miltank pretty comfortably). Steels neutralize it, as well as other Miltank. Spikers can easily spike. Can't his ghosts. Maybe mention things like Champ/Exeggutor or the threat of explosions, Snorlaxes drumming etc.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Ok great stuff and thank you for all of your suggestions. I removed Curse from the moveset, and added in many of the changes. I will need a little more time to get all of Crystal's in. Thank you all very much for your help! If you have any specific suggestions for sweeping partners that would be great. I tried to get in what I could, but any additions would be great!

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sweeping partners? DrumLax appreciates Miltank's Heal Bell support, as it can Rest off and come back healthy and alert to Drum again - some people refer to this strategy as turbo-drumming. SD Marowak with Rest is also in the same boat. Pretty much any mon with Rest without Sleep Talk would greatly appreciate Miltank's Heal Bell.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Ok I think most of the suggestions have been instituted. If you have any other comments, suggestions, or ideas I will be glad to hear them!

Pocket

With great HP and Defense Miltank can easily absorb weakened hits and fire back at opposing Pokemon with Body Slam.
Add after this that its good base 100 Speed allows it to Milk Drink or Growl before a physical hard-hitter can land a possibly lethal blow. The Speed combined with its bulk makes Miltank hard to pin down.

Exeggutor works as a counter because of its high Special Attack, and access to Psychic. Exeggutor also has Explosion to nail Miltank as a last resort.
I am reluctant to call Exeggutor a counter because it cannot 2HKO Miltank without a Psychic special defense drop, which is an unreliable way to counter. In the meantime, Exeggutor would be worn down by Body Slams, probably getting paralyzed in the process. It also only takes one well-timed Growl for Eggy's Explosion to only do 67% max. You could certainly say that Exeggutor threatens to put Miltank to sleep once the cow cures the initial sleep bait.
Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, Rhydon, and Golem all resist Normal-type moves and can either fire back with STAB moves, or use a phazing move as in Skarmory's and Steelix' case.
I am also hesitant to include Rhydon in Checks and Counters section, as usually Miltank comes in on Rhydon to neutralize it, and Rhydon does not enjoy getting para-slammed. At least Steelix and Golem can Explode, Forretress can lay Spikes, and Skarmory has Rest.

Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunderbolt to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense.
Zapdos wants Thunder to have a chance to 2HKO Miltank. The 30% paralysis chance combined with the ~50% damage also does a great deal in crippling Miltank even if it switches out.

Other than these changes I propose, this set is good to go.

Approved

Looks much better now, just a few things:

I'd mention somewhere that Heal bell can run out of PP quickly on long battles, so vs other stall team it's advised to use bell only when you really need to, or when it can make a difference.

Without a phazing move Curse users will struggle to do anything meaningful to Miltank.
I'd remove this, since unless you have spikes up, Miltank can easily switch back and keep Growling/slamming you.
I'd emphasize more Body Slam's ability to scare things out with the para chance. That's what slam does really, because cursers can easily take 24 slams thanks to the defense boosts and leftovers.

Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed like Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl the opponent has to switch-out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks.
This seems kind of splashed in to me, but I guess it's okay.

I'd also add what Pocket pointed out about Miltank speed, it's actually pretty relevant:
Add after this that its good base 100 Speed allows it to Milk Drink or Growl before a physical hard-hitter can land a possibly lethal blow. The Speed combined with its bulk makes Miltank hard to pin down.
Miltank is easy to fit on most offensive and defensive teams
I'd change this to "Miltank is easy to fit on most defensive teams and even in some ofensive teams.

Maybe you can mention Skarmory in the team options section, to cover the physical pokemon miltank cant handle, like Drumlax and Marowak.

Other notable partners include any Pokemon with high Special Defense, and access to Special Attacks that can dent Steels.
I'd take out this.

Nobody uses Swords Dance in gsc, but you can instead mention stealing belly drum when talking about Psych up.

And yea Pocket is right, Eggy doesn't deserve to be so high in the counters section, probably not even there, I actually meant to say the threats of sleep and probably explosions, but yea that's more general and then we could say the same thing about Jynx for example. Maybe you can say something like,: "sleep users like Exeggutor, Nidoking, and some Snorlax (or the examples you like) can threaten Miltank with their sleep move, but will probably fail to do anything else to Miltank when they are unable to land said sleep."

Remove Vital Throw from Machamp, it sucks. And Toxic's 16 PPs will outlast Heal bell, if Miltank is aiming to use it against each Toxic from Cloyster/whatever, so i'd remove this" However, it should be noted that Miltank's high Defense and access to Milk Drink+ Heal Bell will make it almost impossible to wear down with Toxic.". Also, most Zapdos pack Thunder nowadays. But I guess tbolt Zapdos will still be able to force Miltank out of Milk Drinks ih for whatever reason Miltank doesn't switch out.

Other than these changes, the set looks great!

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Ok, I saw Miltank's analysis on site and it was very incomplete, and definitely not up to our writing standards. Hopefully I can contribute something to making it better. Thanks for any comments and suggestions in advance!

[Overview]

<p>Miltank is a cow on a mission; in the stall-oriented GSC metagame spreading and removing statuses is paramount. With the prevalence of moves like Rest, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, it is more than likely that at any given moment, several of Miltank's teammates will be debilitated from a status aliment. However, because of its access to Heal Bell, Miltank can eliminate these status problems in one turn, allowing Miltank's teammates to get back into battle without any hampering status conditions. Miltank is arguably one of the best Heal Bell users in the game because of its great bulk, Speed, and access to an instant recovery move with no draw backs - Milk Drink.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it's not all Alfalfa, and flower-filled fields for this bovine; Miltank faces stiff competition for the Cleric spot from Blissey. Miltank also sports a rather low Special Defense that can really hinder its ability to counter major threats in the GSC metagame. Miltank is straightforward and non-versatile, but when given the opportunity, it can provide an excellent support option that should never be overlooked.<p>

[SET]
name:Standard Cleric
move 1:Heal Bell
move 2:Milk Drink
move 3:Growl
move 4:Body Slam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Heal Bell is the mothers milk of all Miltank sets - with Heal Bell, Miltank can switch in on a physical attack that does little damage, use Heal Bell to clear its teammates' status, and then switch out to a newly-cured team member. Heal Bell is an amazing support move because it allows Pokemon that lack reliable health recovery to use Rest, switch out, and then have their sleep removed so they can jump back into the fray at full health. The usefulness of Rest-Belling as a strategy cannot be understated. The extra freed-up move slot is incredibly useful for many Pokemon and allows instant recovery to be viable for many sweepers. Getting rid of nasty poison and paralysis with Heal Bell is also useful, especially against stall teams. Without Toxic damage, many stall teams will struggle to do anything meaningful against Miltank and its teammates. Miltank also has Milk Drink's health recovery, which combined with Heal Bell can allow Miltank to plop its large Derriere down and stall in its own right.</p>

<p>Heal Bell and Milk Drink are great, but Growl and Body Slam are what really set Miltank apart from other Heal Bell users like Blissey. Compared to Blissey, Miltank has better Speed, Defense, and Attack. Miltank can also use Growl, allowing it to serve as a great Snorlax check by removing the Attack boosts from Curse. Growl Miltank serves as a great Curse user check in general because it can use Growl's 64 PP to outstall Curse's 16 PP, and prevent Curse users from gaining any Attack boosts in which to sweep. Pokemon like Tyranitar, Heracross, and Rhydon will all contend to get any sort of boosts with Curse, and will be steadily worn down with Body Slam. Without a phazing move, Curse users will struggle to do anything meaningful to Miltank. With great HP and Defense, Miltank can easily absorb weakened hits and fire back at opposing Pokemon with Body Slam. Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed, like with Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl the opponent has to switch out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for the battle's offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks. Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate serves well alongside Growl by crippling both the physical attacker's Speed and Attack. Miltank is a great counter to physical attackers, but be wary of the rare Substitute-Curse user; Snorlax with Belly Drum is also capable of breaking through Miltank's defenses.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Miltank is easy to fit on most offensive and defensive teams. Miltank's ability to remove statuses easily with Heal Bell is wonderful when paired with bulky sweepers who need health recovery, but don't want to give up two move slots to Rest and Sleep Talk. Miltank works well with literally any Pokemon that need Rest, but need to ditch Sleep Talk to help their own coverage. Notable partners include Snorlax with Belly Drum, Raikou, and Suicune. With Heal Bell support, Snorlax can use Belly Drum, attack until its health gets low, Rest, switch-out to Miltank, and then come in to use Belly Drum again once Miltank uses Heal Bell; Marowak is in the same boat - it can use Swords Dance, attack until its health gets low, Rest, and then switch back in once Miltank removes all status with Heal Bell. Raikou and Suicune can also work well alongside Miltank because of their ability to take Special Attacks, and to deal out damage with Thunderbolt and Surf, respectively. Other noteworthy partners include any Pokemon with high Special Defense, and access to Special Attacks that can dent Steels.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Miltank does have a few other options it can abuse. Psych Up has its occasional uses - stealing a Swords Dance or Curse boost and sweeping is fun, but lacks the consistency of Curse or Growl and is generally a riskier option. Earthquake can be used if you feel like you need the coverage, and Seismic Toss can be used if you want to have more consistent damage output against Steel Types, but both are generally outclassed by Body Slam and Growl. Curse is a possibility, but if you want a Normal-type with Curse, Snorlax, Kangaskhan, or Porygon2 will generally serve you much better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank is a great support Pokemon, but it isn't without its counters. Special attacks are the bane of Miltank's existence. Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunderbolt to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense. Exeggutor works as a counter because of its high Special Attack and access to Psychic. Exeggutor also has Explosion to nail Miltank as a last resort. Gengar is a great counter because it takes no damage from Body Slam, and has a slew of special attacks to fire back. Misdreavus works similar to Gengar, but with PerishTrap instead of an all out assault.</p>

<p>Vaporeon's access to Growth and Surf make it a major thorn in Miltank's side. It can easily set up and shrug off any paralysis because of its low speed. After one Growth, Surf is almost always a 2HKO. Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress all resist Normal-type moves and can either phaze Miltank or set up entry hazards. Machamp is also notable because of it is one of the few Curse users that Miltank cannot counter with Growl. Machamp's super effective Cross Chop and Vital Throw will do heavy damage. Cross Chop in particular will do between 64.1% and 75.3% in damage with no boosts, and will OHKO after one Attack boost from Curse.</p>

<p>Forretress also deserves a special mention as a check because of its ability to set up Spikes while taking a pittance from any of Miltank's attacks. Forretress doesn't mind paralysis, and the reduction in attacking power from Growl is not as important as it is to Pokemon like Snorlax. Cloyster functions in the same way with the additional ability to fire off Surfs at Miltank's lower Special Defense stat. However, it should be noted that Miltank's high Defense and access to Milk Drink + Heal Bell will make it almost impossible to wear down with Toxic. Miltank, however, doesn't enjoy being put to sleep or frozen. It cannot remove these status conditions with Heal Bell, meaning that it will be crippled in its main capacity as a status remover. That being said, strong special attacks remain the best way to take down Miltank.</p>
Hi there, I saw that this wasn't checked yet for proper grammar and prose, so I did that for you. The changes I made look like this.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
As far as I know everything has been added. I also updated the set with Desolate's grammar check. I think the set still needs another approval before it will be ready for official GP checks.

Tamahome

startling sign
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
As Crystal already mentioned, if Nidoking can't put Miltank to sleep, the cow can check or even counter him. Nidoking using Fire Blast, Thunder or even Earthquake, it will take at tops 30%. Once you mention that in the OP, consider it Approved.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Ok, all suggestions have been inserted. Unless I am mistaken this analysis should be ready for GP checks. I will contact Oglemi to make sure everything is in order. Many thanks to all those who helped make this analysis competitively viable!

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Removals
(Additions/Replacements)
<Quick Comments>

[Overview]

<p>Miltank is a cow on a mission; (colon) in the stall-oriented GSC metagame spreading and removing statuses is paramount. With the prevalence of moves like (such as) Rest, Toxic, and Thunder Wave (comma) it is more than likely that at any given moment, several of Miltank's teammates will be debilitated from (by) a status aliment. However, because of its access to Heal Bel(l),l Miltank can eliminate these status problems in one turn, allowing Miltank's (its) teammates to get back into the battle without any hampering status conditions. Miltank is arguably one of the best Heal Bell users in the game because of its great bulk, Speed, and access to an instant recovery move with no draw backs-(—)Milk Drink. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, it's not all Alfalfa, and flower-filled fields for this bovine. Miltank faces stiff competition for the Cleric spot from Blissey. Miltank also sports a rather low Special Defense that can really hinder its ability to counter major threats in the GSC metagame. Miltank is straightforward and non-versatile (limited) <seemed clunky>, but when given the opportunity, it can provide an excellent support option that should never be overlooked.<p>

[SET]
name:(+space)Standard Cleric
move 1:(+space)Heal Bell
move 2:(+space)Milk Drink
move 3:(+space)Growl
move 4:(+space)Body Slam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Heal Bell is the mother(')s milk of all Miltank sets-(—)with Heal Bell, Miltank can switch in on a physical attack that does little damage, use Heal Bell to clear its teammates' status, and then switch out to a newly-cured team member. Heal Bell is an amazing support move because it allows Pokemon that lack reliable health recovery to use Rest, switch out, and then have their sleep removed so they can jump back into the fray at full health. The usefulness of Rest-Belling (Rest and Heal Bell) <if this is a legit name for it then keep it; I wasn't sure> as a strategy cannot be understated. The extra freed-up moveslot is incredibly useful for many Pokemon and allows instant recovery to be viable for many sweepers. Getting rid of nasty poison and paralysis with Heal Bell is also useful, especially against stall teams. Without Toxic damage (comma) many stall teams will struggle to do anything meaningful against Miltank and its teammates. Miltank also has Milk Drink's Health recovery, which combined with Heal Bell can allow Miltank to plop its large D(d)erriere down and stall in its own right.</p>

<p>Heal Bell and Milk Drink are great, but Growl and Body Slam are what really set Miltank apart from other Heal Bell users like (such as) Blissey. Compared to Blissey, Miltank has better Speed, Defense, and Attack. Miltank can also use Growl, allowing it to serve as a great Snorlax check by removing the Attack boosts from Curse. Growl Miltank serves as a great Curse user check (to Curse users) in general because it can use Growl's 64 PP to outstall Curse's 16 PP, and prevent Curse users from gaining any Attacks boosts with which to sweep. Pokemon like (such as) Tyranitar, Heracross, and Rhydon will all struggle to get any sort of boosts with Curse, and can be easily crippled by Body Slam's paralysis rate. The paralysis rate from Body Slam is especially concerning for opponents without any way to remove status because they will often find themselves crippled and set-up bait for the rest of the match.</p>

<p>Miltank also has great Speed that it can use (comma) (giving it the chance) to nullify its opponents attack with Growl or use Milk Drink before they land a possibly lethal blow. This combination of bulk and Speed can make Miltank very difficult to take down. Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed, like (as is the case) with Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl the opponent is forced to switch out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks. Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate serves well alongside Growl by crippling both the physical attacker's Speed and Attack. Miltank is a great counter to physical attackers, but be wary of the rare Substitute-Curse (users of Curse that also carry Substitute, though they are rare.) user. Snorlax with Belly Drum is also capable of breaking through Miltank's defenses.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Miltank is easy to fit on most defensive (comma) and even some offensive (comma) teams. Miltank's ability to remove statuses easily with Heal Bell is wonderful when paired with bulky sweepers who need health recovery, but don't want to give up two moveslots to Rest and Sleep Talk. Miltank works well with literally any Pokemon that need Rest, but (also) need to ditch Sleep Talk to help their own coverage. Notable partners include Snorlax with Belly Drum, Raikou, and Suicune. With Heal Bell support, Snorlax can use Belly Drum, attack until its health gets low, Rest, switch out to Miltank, and then come in to use Belly Drum again once Miltank uses Heal Bell; Marowak is in the same boat- it can use Swords Dance, attack until its Health gets low, Rest, and then switch back in once Miltank removes all status with Heal Bell. (comma) (except with Swords Dance over Belly Drum.) <same phrasing so it was redundant> Skarmory makes a good partner because it can wall the few physical threats like Marowak and DrumLax that Miltank struggles to take down. Raikou and Suicune can also work well alongside Miltank because of their ability to take Special Attacks, and to deal out damage with Thunderbolt and Surf, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Miltank does have a few other options it can abuse. Psych Up has its occastional uses- (semi-colon) stealing a Belly Drum, Swords Dance, or Curse boost and sweeping is fun, but lacks the consistency of Curse or Growl and is generally a riskier option. Earthquake can be used if you feel like you (Miltank) need(s) the coverage, and Seismic Toss can be used if you want to have more consistent damage output against Steel Types, but both are generally outclassed by Body Slam and Growl. Curse is a possibility, but if you want a Normal-type with Curse, Snorlax, Kangaskhan, or Porygon2 will generally serve you much better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank is a great support Pokemon, but it isn't without its counters. Special attacks are the bane of Miltank's existence. Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunder to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense. Exeggutor can work as a check because of its high Special Attack and access to Psychic. Exeggutor can either put Miltank to sleep with Sleep Powder or use Explosion to nail Miltank as a last resort. Just be warned that Exeggutor's Explosion will only do around 67% damage after a Growl. Nidoking can also sleep Miltank, but if Sleep Clause has already been activated it will struggle to do more than 30% damage with Earthquake, Thunder (comma) of Fire Blast. Gengar works as a counter because it takes no damage from Body Slam, and has a slew of special attacks to fire at Miltank. Misdreavus works similar to (much like) Gengar, but with(+space)Mean Look and Perish Song instead of an all(hyphen)out assault.</p>

<p>Vaporeon's access to Growth and Surf make it a major thorn in Miltank's side. It can easily set up and shrug off any paralysis because of its low s(S)peed. After one Growth, Surf is almost always a 2HKO. Skarmory, Steelix, (and) Forretress all resist Normal-type moves and can either phaze Miltank or set up entry hazards. Machamp is also notable because of it is one of the few Curse users that Miltank cannot counter with Growl. Machamp's super effective Cross Chop will do heavy damage. Cross Chop will do between 64.1% and 75.3% in damage (2HKO) with no boosts, and will OHKO after one Attack boost from Curse.</p>

<p>Forretress also deserves a special mention as a check because of its ability to set up Spikes while taking a pittance from any of Miltank's attacks. Forretress doesn't mind paralysis, and the reduction in attacking power from Growl is not as important as it is to Pokemon like (such as) Snorlax. Cloyster functions in the same way with the additional ability to fire off Surfs at Miltank's lower Special Defense stat. Keep in mind that Miltank's high Defense and access to Milk Drink + (and) Heal Bell will make it difficult to wear down with Toxic. However, while time consuming (comma) it is possible to outstall Heal Bell's PP with Toxic (comma) assuming Miltank stays in. Miltank, however, doesn't enjoy being put to sleep or frozen. It cannot remove these status conditions with Heal Bell, meaning that it will be crippled in its main capacity (position) as a status remover. That being said, strong special attacks remain the best way to take down Miltank.</p>​

[Overview]

<p>Miltank is a cow on a mission: in the stall-oriented GSC metagame spreading and removing statuses is paramount. With the prevalence of moves such as Rest, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, it is more than likely that at any given moment, several of Miltank's teammates will be debilitated by a status aliment. However, because of its access to Heal Bell, Miltank can eliminate these status problems in one turn, allowing its teammates to get back into the battle without any hampering status conditions. Miltank is arguably one of the best Heal Bell users in the game because of its great bulk, Speed, and access to an instant recovery move with no draw backs—Milk Drink. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, it's not all Alfalfa and flower-filled fields for this bovine. Miltank faces stiff competition for the Cleric spot from Blissey. Miltank also sports a rather low Special Defense that can really hinder its ability to counter major threats in the GSC metagame. Miltank is straightforward and limited, but when given the opportunity, it can provide an excellent support option that should never be overlooked.<p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Heal Bell is the mother's milk of all Miltank sets—with Heal Bell, Miltank can switch in on a physical attack that does little damage, use Heal Bell to clear its teammates' status, and then switch out to a newly-cured team member. Heal Bell is an amazing support move because it allows Pokemon that lack reliable recovery to use Rest, switch out, and then have their sleep removed so they can jump back into the fray at full health. The usefulness of Rest and Heal Bell as a strategy cannot be understated. The extra moveslot is incredibly useful for many Pokemon and allows instant recovery to be viable for many sweepers. Getting rid of nasty poison and paralysis with Heal Bell is also useful, especially against stall teams. Without Toxic damage, many stall teams will struggle to do anything meaningful against Miltank and its teammates. Miltank also has Milk Drink's recovery, which combined with Heal Bell can allow Miltank to plop its large derriere down and stall in its own right.</p>

<p>Heal Bell and Milk Drink are great, but Growl and Body Slam are what really set Miltank apart from other Heal Bell users such as Blissey. Compared to Blissey, Miltank has better Speed, Defense, and Attack. Miltank can also use Growl, allowing it to serve as a great Snorlax check by removing the Attack boosts from Curse. Growl Miltank serves as a great check to Curse users in general because it can use Growl's 64 PP to outstall Curse's 16 PP and prevent Curse users from gaining any Attacks boosts with which to sweep. Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Heracross, and Rhydon will all struggle to get any sort of boosts with Curse, and can be easily crippled by Body Slam's paralysis rate. The paralysis rate from Body Slam is especially concerning for opponents without any way to remove status because they will often find themselves crippled and set-up bait for the rest of the match.</p>

<p>Miltank also has great Speed, giving it the chance to nullify its opponents attack with Growl or use Milk Drink before they land a possibly lethal blow. This combination of bulk and Speed can make Miltank very difficult to take down. Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed, as is the case with Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl the opponent is forced to switch out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks. Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate serves well alongside Growl by crippling both the physical attacker's Speed and Attack. Miltank is a great counter to physical attackers, but be wary of users of Curse that also carry Substitute, though they are rare. Snorlax with Belly Drum is also capable of breaking through Miltank's defenses.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Miltank is easy to fit on most defensive, and even some offensive, teams. Miltank's ability to remove statuses easily with Heal Bell is wonderful when paired with bulky sweepers who need recovery but don't want to give up two moveslots to Rest and Sleep Talk. Miltank works well with literally any Pokemon that need Rest, but also need to ditch Sleep Talk to help their own coverage. Notable partners include Snorlax with Belly Drum, Raikou, and Suicune. With Heal Bell support, Snorlax can use Belly Drum, attack until its health gets low, Rest, switch out to Miltank, and then come in to use Belly Drum again once Miltank uses Heal Bell; Marowak is in the same boat, except with Swords Dance over Belly Drum.Skarmory makes a good partner because it can wall the few physical threats like Marowak and DrumLax that Miltank struggles to take down. Raikou and Suicune can also work well alongside Miltank because of their ability to take Special Attacks, and to deal out damage with Thunderbolt and Surf, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Miltank does have a few other options it can abuse. Psych Up has its occasional uses; stealing a Belly Drum, Swords Dance, or Curse boost and sweeping is fun, but lacks the consistency of Curse or Growl and is generally a riskier option. Earthquake can be used if you feel like Miltank needs the coverage, and Seismic Toss can be used if you want to have more consistent damage output against Steel Types, but both are generally outclassed by Body Slam and Growl. Curse is a possibility, but Snorlax, Kangaskhan, or Porygon2 will generally serve you much better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank is a great support Pokemon, but it isn't without its counters. Special attacks are the bane of Miltank's existence. Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunder to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense. Exeggutor can work as a check because of its high Special Attack and access to Psychic. Exeggutor can either put Miltank to sleep with Sleep Powder or use Explosion to nail Miltank as a last resort. Just be warned that Explosion will only do around 67% damage after a Growl. Nidoking can also sleep Miltank, but if Sleep Clause has already been activated it will struggle to do more than 30% damage with Earthquake, Thunder, of Fire Blast. Gengar works as a counter because it takes no damage from Body Slam, and has a slew of special attacks to fire at Miltank. Misdreavus works much like Gengar, but with Mean Look and Perish Song instead of an all-out assault.</p>

<p>Vaporeon's access to Growth and Surf make it a major thorn in Miltank's side. It can easily set up and shrug off any paralysis because of its low Speed. After one Growth, Surf is almost always a 2HKO. Skarmory, Steelix, and Forretress all resist Normal-type moves and can either phaze Miltank or set up entry hazards. Machamp is also notable because of it is one of the few Curse users that Miltank cannot counter with Growl. Machamp's super effective Cross Chop will do heavy damage. Cross Chop will 2HKO with no boosts and will OHKO after one boost from Curse.</p>

<p>Forretress also deserves a special mention as a check because of its ability to set up Spikes while taking a pittance from any of Miltank's attacks. Forretress doesn't mind paralysis, and the reduction in attacking power from Growl is not as important as it is to Pokemon such as Snorlax. Cloyster functions in the same way with the additional ability to fire off Surfs at Miltank's lower Special Defense stat. Keep in mind that Miltank's high Defense and access to Milk Drink and Heal Bell will make it difficult to wear down with Toxic. However, while time consuming, it is possible to outstall Heal Bell's PP with Toxic, assuming Miltank stays in. Miltank, however, doesn't enjoy being put to sleep or frozen. It cannot remove these status conditions with Heal Bell, meaning that it will be crippled in its main position as a status remover. That being said, strong special attacks remain the best way to take down Miltank.</p>​

GP (1/2)

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Great stuff Mafeking. Thanks for making a Copy/Paste version! I updated the OP with all edits. This is ready for the last GP check.

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ack, your spacing seems to have become double spaced somehow! Make sure everything only has one line space between each paragraph except for things included in the actual set!~ :)

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Yeah, I noticed this as well. I'm not quite sure why the spacing does that. vBulletin's editing software is trolling me.....

EDIT: Spacing fixed

Tamahome

startling sign
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
When I say that Nidoking can't even do more than 30%, I mean that Miltank walls him almost completely, being the only chance that could go wrong is with Miltank asleep, so Nidoking shouldn't be in the Counters & Checks section imo. Miltank will beat Nidoking if Lovely Kiss misses and Body Slam gets to paralyze or Sleep Clause has already been activated(bar hax, of course). About Exeggutor, keep in mind it's only a check, not a counter itself for reasons Pocket aready said.

yeah, as i said, it should focus on pointing out sleep as a counter/check/way to scare miltank out, while giving examples of things that can sleep (egg/king/etc); rather than considering egg and nidoking as counters just becasue they can sleep

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Ok, I changed the paragraph on Nidoking and Exeggutor to better reflect those comments. Thanks again for your help!

clearly this needs an attract/rollout set called Whitney's Revenge

(not really this is just a GP placeholder)

[Overview]

<p>Miltank is a cow on a mission: in the stall-oriented GSC metagame, spreading and removing statuses is paramount. With the prevalence of moves such as Rest, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, it is more than likely that at any given moment, several of Miltank's teammates will be debilitated by a status aliment. However, because of its access to Heal Bell, Miltank can eliminate these status problems in one turn, allowing its teammates to get back into the battle without any hampering status conditions. Miltank is arguably one of the best Heal Bell users in the game because of its great bulk, Speed, and access to an instant recovery move with no drawbacks—Milk Drink. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, it's not all Aalfalfa and flower-filled fields for this bovine. Miltank faces stiff competition for the Ccleric spot from Blissey. Miltank also sports a rather low Special Defense that can really hinder its ability to counter major threats in the GSC metagame. Miltank is straightforward and limited, but when given the opportunity, it can provide an excellent support option that should never be overlooked.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Heal Bell is the mother's milk of all Miltank sets—; with Heal Bell, Miltank can switch in on a physical attack that does little damage, use Heal Bell to clear its teammates' status, and then switch out to a newly-cured team member. Heal Bell is an amazing support move because it allows Pokemon that lack reliable recovery to use Rest, switch out, and then have their sleep removed so they can jump back into the fray at full health. The usefulness of Rest and Heal Bell as a strategy cannot be understated. The extra moveslot is incredibly useful for many Pokemon and allows instant recovery to be viable for many sweepers. Getting rid of nasty poison and paralysis with Heal Bell is also useful, especially against stall teams. Without Toxic damage, many stall teams will struggle to do anything meaningful against Miltank and its teammates. Miltank also has Milk Drink's recovery, which, combined with Heal Bell, can allow Miltank to plop its large derriere down and stall in its own right.</p>

<p>Heal Bell and Milk Drink are great, but Growl and Body Slam are what really set Miltank apart from other Heal Bell users such as Blissey. Compared to Blissey, Miltank has better Speed, Defense, and Attack. Miltank can also use Growl, allowing it to serve as a great Snorlax check by removing the Attack boosts from Curse. Growl Miltank serves as a great check to Curse users in general because it can use Growl's 64 PP to outstall Curse's 16 PP and prevent Curse users from gaining any Attacks boosts with which to sweep. Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Heracross, and Rhydon will all struggle to get any sort of boosts with Curse, and can be easily crippled by Body Slam's paralysis rate. The paralysis rate from Body Slam is especially concerning for opponents without any way to remove status because they will often find themselves crippled and set-up bait for the rest of the match.</p>

<p>Miltank also has great Speed, giving it the chance to nullify its opponent's aAttack with Growl or use Milk Drink before they land a possibly lethal blow. This combination of bulk and Speed can make Miltank very difficult to take down. Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed, as is the case with Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl, the opponent is forced to switch out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks. Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate serves well alongside Growl by crippling both the physical attacker's Speed and Attack. Miltank is a great counter to physical attackers, but be wary of users of Curse that also carry Substitute, though they are rare. Snorlax with Belly Drum is also capable of breaking through Miltank's defenses.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Miltank is easy to fit on most defensive, and even some offensive, teams. Miltank's ability to remove statuses easily with Heal Bell is wonderful when paired with bulky sweepers whothat need recovery but don't want to give up two moveslots to Rest and Sleep Talk. Miltank works well with literally any Pokemon that needs Rest, but also needs to ditch Sleep Talk to help theirits own coverage. Notable partners include Snorlax with Belly Drum, Raikou, and Suicune. With Heal Bell support, Snorlax can use Belly Drum, attack until its health gets low, Rest, switch out to Miltank, and then comeswitch in to use Belly Drum again once Miltank uses Heal Bell; Marowak is in the same boat, except with Swords Dance over Belly Drum.Skarmory makes a good partner because it can wall the few physical threats like Marowak and DrumLax that Miltank struggles to take down, such as Marowak and Belly Drum Snorlax. Raikou and Suicune can also work well alongside Miltank because of their ability to take Sspecial Aattacks, and to deal out damage with Thunderbolt and Surf, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Miltank does have a few other options it can abusutilize. Psych Up has its occasional uses; stealing a Belly Drum, Swords Dance, or Curse boost and sweeping is fun, but lacks the consistency of Curse or Growl and is generally a riskier option. Earthquake can be used if you feel like Miltank needs the coverage, and Seismic Toss can be used if you want to have more consistent damage output against Steel T-types, but both are generally outclassed by Body Slam and Growl. Curse is a possibility, but Snorlax, Kangaskhan, or Porygon2 will generally serve you much better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank is a great support Pokemon, but it isn't without its counters. Special attacks are the bane of Miltank's existence. Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunder to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense.Vaporeon's access to Growth and Surf make it a major thorn in Miltank's side. It can easily set up and shrug off any paralysis because of its low Speed. After one Growth, Surf is almost always a 2HKO. Skarmory, Steelix, and Forretress all resist Normal-type moves and can either phaze Miltank or set up entry hazards. Machamp is also notable because of it is one of the few Curse users that Miltank cannot counter with Growl. Machamp's super effective Cross Chop will do heavy damage. Cross Chop will 2HKO, 2HKOing Miltank with no boosts and will OHKOing after one boost from Curse.</p>

<p>Any Pokemon with sleep moves will pose a threat to Miltank as long as Sleep Clause hasn't been activated.; Pokemon likesuch as Exeggutor,and Nidoking both work in this regard. Exeggutor can also make use Explosion to nail Miltank if need be. However, if Sleep Clause has already been activated or Lovely Kiss misses, Nidoking will be unable to check Miltank, and will find itself countered by Miltank instead of the other way around. Gengar works as a counter because it takes no damage from Body Slam, and has a slew of special attacks to fire at Miltank. Misdreavus works much like Gengar, but with Mean Look and Perish Song instead of an all-out assault.</p>

<p>Forretress also deserves a special mention as a check because of its ability to set up Spikes while taking a pittance from any of Miltank's attacks. Forretress doesn't mind paralysis, and the reduction in attacking power from Growl is not as important to it as it is to Pokemon such as Snorlax. Cloyster functions in the same way with the additional ability to fire off Surfs at Miltank's lower Special Defense stat. Keep in mind that Miltank's high Defense and access to Milk Drink and Heal Bell will make it difficult to wear down with Toxic. However, while time consuming, it is possible to outstall Heal Bell's PP with Toxic, assuming Miltank stays in. Miltank, however, doesn't enjoy being put to sleep or frozen. It cannot remove these status conditions with Heal Bell, meaning that it will be crippled in its main position as a status remover. That being said, strong special attacks remain the best way to take down Miltank.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Miltank is a cow on a mission: in the stall-oriented GSC metagame, spreading and removing status is paramount. With the prevalence of moves such as Rest, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, it is more than likely that at any given moment, several of Miltank's teammates will be debilitated by a status aliment. However, because of its access to Heal Bell, Miltank can eliminate these status problems in one turn, allowing its teammates to get back into the battle without any hampering status conditions. Miltank is arguably one of the best Heal Bell users in the game because of its great bulk, Speed, and access to an instant recovery move with no drawbacks—Milk Drink. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, it's not all alfalfa and flower-filled fields for this bovine. Miltank faces stiff competition for the cleric spot from Blissey. Miltank also sports a rather low Special Defense that can really hinder its ability to counter major threats in the GSC metagame. Miltank is straightforward and limited, but when given the opportunity, it can provide an excellent support option that should never be overlooked.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Heal Bell is the mother's milk of all Miltank set; with Heal Bell, Miltank can switch in on a physical attack that does little damage, use Heal Bell to clear its teammates' status, and then switch out to a newly-cured team member. Heal Bell is an amazing support move because it allows Pokemon that lack reliable recovery to use Rest, switch out, and then have their sleep removed so they can jump back into the fray at full health. The usefulness of Rest and Heal Bell as a strategy cannot be understated. The extra moveslot is incredibly useful for many Pokemon and allows instant recovery to be viable for many sweepers. Getting rid of nasty poison and paralysis with Heal Bell is also useful, especially against stall teams. Without Toxic damage, many stall teams will struggle to do anything meaningful against Miltank and its teammates. Miltank also has Milk Drink's recovery, which, combined with Heal Bell, can allow Miltank to plop its large derriere down and stall in its own right.</p>

<p>Heal Bell and Milk Drink are great, but Growl and Body Slam are what really set Miltank apart from other Heal Bell users such as Blissey. Compared to Blissey, Miltank has better Speed, Defense, and Attack. Miltank can also use Growl, allowing it to serve as a great Snorlax check by removing the Attack boosts from Curse. Growl Miltank serves as a great check to Curse users in general because it can use Growl's 64 PP to outstall Curse's 16 PP and prevent Curse users from gaining any Attacks boosts with which to sweep. Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Heracross, and Rhydon will all struggle to get any sort of boosts with Curse, and can be easily crippled by Body Slam's paralysis rate. The paralysis rate from Body Slam is especially concerning for opponents without any way to remove status because they will often find themselves crippled and setup bait for the rest of the match.</p>

<p>Miltank also has great Speed, giving it the chance to nullify its opponent's Attack with Growl or use Milk Drink before they land a possibly lethal blow. This combination of bulk and Speed can make Miltank very difficult to take down. Growl has the practical benefit of essentially boosting Miltank's Defense while refraining from lowering its Speed, as is the case with Curse. In order to remove the Attack drops from Growl, the opponent is forced to switch out. Forcing these kinds of switches is great for offensive momentum and stopping Curse sweepers in their tracks. Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate serves well alongside Growl by crippling both the physical attacker's Speed and Attack. Miltank is a great counter to physical attackers, but be wary of users of Curse that also carry Substitute, though they are rare. Snorlax with Belly Drum is also capable of breaking through Miltank's defenses.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Miltank is easy to fit on most defensive, and even some offensive, teams. Miltank's ability to remove status easily with Heal Bell is wonderful when paired with bulky sweepers that need recovery but don't want to give up two moveslots to Rest and Sleep Talk. Miltank works well with literally any Pokemon that needs Rest, but also needs to ditch Sleep Talk to help its own coverage. Notable partners include Snorlax with Belly Drum, Raikou, and Suicune. With Heal Bell support, Snorlax can use Belly Drum, attack until its health gets low, Rest, switch out to Miltank, and then switch in to use Belly Drum again once Miltank uses Heal Bell; Marowak is in the same boat, except with Swords Dance over Belly Drum. Skarmory makes a good partner because it can wall the few physical threats that Miltank struggles to take down, such as Marowak and Belly Drum Snorlax. Raikou and Suicune can also work well alongside Miltank because of their ability to take special attacks and to deal out damage with Thunderbolt and Surf, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Miltank does have a few other options it can utilize. Psych Up has its occasional uses; stealing a Belly Drum, Swords Dance, or Curse boost and sweeping is fun, but lacks the consistency of Curse or Growl and is generally a riskier option. Earthquake can be used if you feel like Miltank needs the coverage, and Seismic Toss can be used if you want to have more consistent damage output against Steel-types, but both are generally outclassed by Body Slam and Growl. Curse is a possibility, but Snorlax, Kangaskhan, or Porygon2 will generally serve you much better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank is a great support Pokemon, but it isn't without its counters. Special attacks are the bane of Miltank's existence. Zapdos doesn't give a rip about paralysis because of RestTalk, and it has Thunder to slam Miltank's weak Special Defense. Vaporeon's access to Growth and Surf make it a major thorn in Miltank's side. It can easily set up and shrug off any paralysis because of its low Speed. After one Growth, Surf is almost always a 2HKO. Skarmory, Steelix, and Forretress all resist Normal-type moves and can either phaze Miltank or set up entry hazards. Machamp is also notable because of it is one of the few Curse users that Miltank cannot counter with Growl. Machamp's super effective Cross Chop will do heavy damage, 2HKOing Miltank with no boosts and OHKOing after one boost from Curse.</p>

<p>Any Pokemon with sleep moves will pose a threat to Miltank as long as Sleep Clause hasn't been activated; Pokemon such as Exeggutor and Nidoking work in this regard. Exeggutor can also use Explosion to nail Miltank if need be. However, if Sleep Clause has already been activated or Lovely Kiss misses, Nidoking will be unable to check Miltank, and will find itself countered by Miltank instead. Gengar works as a counter because it takes no damage from Body Slam and has a slew of special attacks to fire at Miltank. Misdreavus works much like Gengar, but with Mean Look and Perish Song instead of an all-out assault.</p>

GP APPROVED 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)