Pokémon Milotic

Milotic.600.2458145.jpg

------------------------:milotic: Milotic :milotic:------------------------
Type: Water

Ability: Marvel Scale / Competitive / Cute Charm (HA)

Stats:
HP: 95
Atk: 60
Def: 79
Sp. Atk: 100
Sp. Def: 125
Speed: 81
BST: 540

Notable moves: Scald, Haze, Surf, Recover, Flip Turn, Dragon Dance, Scale Shot, Dragon Tail, Draining Kiss, Coil, Ice Beam, Weather Ball

Pros:

Milotic has a great defensive typing in water as well as good defensive stats and access to recover. It is one of the few mons with access to scald, which helps it spread burns to patch up its lower physical defense. Haze allows it to deny setup, and flip turn allows it to pivot out to a teammate more suited for the situation. Dragon dance and Coil could allow physical sets, although those are gimmicky and mostly ineffective. Marvel scale allows Milotic to absorb burns to increase its physical bulk and competitive can help it deter defog, among other things.

Cons:
Milotic's mono-water typing means it has a ton of competition for a teamslot. Dondozo has a massive hp stat and unaware, Azumarill is offensively threatening and has the valuable fairy type as well as knock off, Walking wake is fast and strong and can function in a variety of teamstyles. Its biggest competitor, however, is Alolomola, who has massive hp, regenerator, scald and wish.

Sets:
Physdef (Milotic) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dragon / Grass / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Recover
- Haze

Spdef (Milotic) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dragon / Grass / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Recover
- Haze

Conclusion
Sadly, Milotic is not cut out for OU. Too much competition means that it is unlikely to carve out any niche for itself in the tier. It probably will be good in UU or RU tho.

While far from OU viable Milotic does have a unique combination of bulk and Competitive so it can switch in on Defog, get a +2 sp attack boost, and throw around Hydro Pumps off 600+ special attack. Two of the four Unaware Pokemon are weak to water so I guess that's something.

Defensive sets are pretty cleanly outclassed by Toxapex or Dondozo but imo Competitive at least does SOMETHING to set it apart from other bulky waters.

Edit: Nevermind I forgot Empoleon gets Competitive now. Nah this pink snake sucks ass.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, any sets using Competitive are unlikely to thrive with direct competition from Empoleon, so I really can't see this existing in any tiers that Empoleon is usable in unless you're aiming to abuse Scald.

Yeah, Empoleon getting giga-buffed gives it most of the same utility as Milotic now. Like Milotic, it has Haze, phazing, recovery, and Flip Turn and has some additional utility moves like Stealth Rock and Flip Turn, on top of the coveted Steel typing. Pretty much the only thing Milotic has over Empoleon in terms of moves is Scald, which is good but not enough imo.

I think Milotic will still be able to carve out a niche regardless. Water / Steel is amazing, but Milotic lacking a weakness to EQ and CC are big advantages against certain threats in the lower tiers. I feel it will be fine co-existing with empoleon.

Last edited:
I think Milotic could still make use of the new move Chilling Water, to help patch up its weaker physical defence. It is a viable pokemon and Empoleon’s steel typing gives it many resistances but also additional weaknesses. It just depends on what your team needs.

I think Milotic could still make use of the new move Chilling Water, to help patch up its weaker physical defence. It is a viable pokemon and Empoleon’s steel typing gives it many resistances but also additional weaknesses. It just depends on what your team needs.
There is no point to using Chilling Water since Scald is a significantly better move. Permanent neutralization from burn and higher base power will always make it the preferred choice.

I feel bad for this mon, got so outclassed as a bulky water type through the years that some people may believe that it's a galarian Gyarados. And it's sad because it was designed to be the "prettiest mon", was Juan and Wallace's ace on RSE, gained some decent buffs and then toxapex, dondozo, vaporeon, slowbro.

And it has good abilities for a "tank", people just forgot she exists.

I feel bad for this mon, got so outclassed as a bulky water type through the years that some people may believe that it's a galarian Gyarados. And it's sad because it was designed to be the "prettiest mon", was Juan and Wallace's ace on RSE, gained some decent buffs and then toxapex, dondozo, vaporeon, slowbro.

It's considered a counterpart of Gyarados. Same BST, stats swapped around, pre-evolutions being the "weak, ugly" Pokémon. Only difference is evolution method. And they both retained Scald lol

doing better atm as it is at leastd ecedently viable in ou for reasons such as scald, haze and recover plus flip turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)