Project Metagame Workshop

Hello, i'm new in this forum. Sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm trench. Can we talk about idea for other metagame here ?

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Hello, i'm new in this forum. Sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm trench. Can we talk about idea for other metagame here ?
You can post your ideas for new formats and discuss them with others in this thread.

Reactions: UT
If this is the right place, i have one idea i wanted to submit for a long time.

I called this concept VanillaMon, but the name can change. The idea behind this other metagame is extremely simple and can be explain in one sentence: it's pokemon without the big gimmick that Gamefreaks give us each new generation.

I know the concept seems stupid for an "other" metagame and really boring but hear me out. In wathever generation, this concept should be pointless, but 9g is a exception to the rule, because we have terracristal. I know most player enjoys the terracrystal, but i also hear that some other have problems with it, probably because it's too strong. We can deny that an absurb quantity of pokemo are banned this generation and that most of them are because of the terracristal. Personally, i don't enjoy playing the game with the terracristal but i think it should'nt be ban because of it's popularity and the idea of playing official tier witout the main gimmick.

So, this other metagame is an idea for people like me who wants to try an alternative. Because i like the new pokemon of the 9g and everything they can offer and i want to try that without the terracrystal. So, the rules of this metagame are very simple:
-1: we can play every pokemon playable in gen 9 with their moovepool of that generation post DLC. After the second DLC, we can actualise every moovepool.
-2: there are no pokemon and moove/talent ban exept thing that was ban before gen 9 (like moody or baton pass) and big legendaries like Koraidon and Miraidon. It's basically a soft reset of gen 9. We give it a chance to everyone to see who is broken even without the terracrystal. Even thing like shed tail or flutter mane are playable, as they can be ban later if they ended up being problematics.
-3: terracrystal is ban, of course. So terra blast is just a normal moove now. The only exception is Ogerpon, who have a gimmick that revolve around terra. I don't know yet what to do with her. I keep switching between 2 possibilitys: Ogerpon is the only pokémon playable with terra or she cannot be play with it like the others.

In conclusion, my idea is just gen 9 from the start without the terracrystal. I think it's a interresting idea for a other Meta games because it offers a alternative for people that want to try this gen without everything revolve around the terracrystal. What do you think ?

It can also serving like a test to a situation without terra that can help thinking about what to do with the official metagame (should we ban the terra or not ?)

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Sorry, but we won't approve any formats that are just a small banlist change from any other tier, we look for ideas that are original and that can create metagames unlike any others, you should take a look at the section to see what kind of formats we approve.

hi again...
Evolutionmons
You know how in the pokemon anime you see pokemon evolve in battle? Unfortunately, it is impossible for Pokemon to evolve in battle, but in this metagame, pokemon are able to evolve in battle.

Rules:

Mechanic:
Pokemon start out as first stage pokemon and after getting a kill, they evolve into their next stage.
Clauses: Sleep Clause (Limit one foe put to sleep), Species Clause (Limit one of each Pokemon), OHKO Clause (OHKO moves are banned), Evasion Items Clause (Evasion Items are banned), Evasion Moves Clause (Evasion Moves are banned), Single Evo Ban (All Pokemon that cannot evolve are banned).
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
:scyther:Scyther
:sneasel:Sneasel
:sneasel-hisui:Sneasel-Hisui
:gligar:Gligar
:misdreavus:Misdreavus
:pawniard:Pawniard
:growlithe-hisui:Growlithe-Hisui
:stantler:Stantler
:murkrow:Murkrow
:kubfu:Kubfu
:munchlax:Munchlax
:yanma:Yanma
Banned Moves:
:scream tail:Baton Pass
Banned Items:
:politoed:Kings Rock
Watchlist:
:aipom:Aipom
:gastly:Gastly

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

:sneasel::weavile: With a high speed stat and attack stat, Sneasel could use Swords Dance and then Knock Off to OHKO the opponent and evolve into Weavile to do extreme damage.
:gastly::haunter::gengar:Gastly is a very strong Pokemon, as it is one of the few baby Pokemon banned from Little Cup. Gastly also has a very similar moveset to Gengar, excluding Focus Blast, so when fully evolved into Gengar, it will have a wide movepool.
Decreased Viability:
:gimmighoul::gholdengo: A part of what made Gholdengo so good was its access to Recover and Make It Rain, but since Gimmighoul can't learn those moves, you will have a bad moveset.

Q&A:

Question
: Since Annihilape learns Rage Fist, can my Mankey get Rage Fist.
Answer: No, movesets must be movesets used by the base Pokemon.

Question: How do three stage evolution Pokemon work?
Answer: Example: After one kill, Grookey will evolve into Thwackey, and after another kill, Thwavkey will evolve into Rillaboom.

Question: How do abilities that get replaced after evolution work?
Answer: Example: Gligar's hidden ability is Immunity. After getting a KO, Gligar would evolve into Gliscor and its ability would change to Poison Heal, which is Glicor's hidden ability.

Question: How does a branched evolution work?
Answer: Honestly, I'm slightly unsure, but for now, it will just be random. Maybe there could be someway to choose who you would end up evolving into, but for now, I'm unsure.

Resources:

Playability:
This format is not playable yet.

Council:
:iron bundle:Gambit_Gamin
Ban History: None yet.

Question for the Community:
Question:
Would this metagame be unacceptable since it is not an in-battle mechanic?

Question: Should the mechanic change so that pokemon evolve after an amount of turns they have been in battle?

Last edited:
Ok, I have 2 more ideas to share:

Gamemode 1: Treasures of Ruin

Concept - You can name your pokemon after a stat, and it will halve that stat of the opponent. Having a ceruledge named "Defense" would basically turn it into Chien-Pao on steroids. Might make sense to just double your stat, naming ceruledge "Attack" instead, then Foul Play would be like a delete button, and Body Press would be insane.

Banned Characters - Arceus, Calyrex-Shadow, Hoopa-U (namely the ones named "Speed"), any attacker with no switch-ins.
Banned Moves - Extreme Speed, lots of priority moves, Swords Dance and Nasty Plot suspicious.

Monsters named "Speed" would be pretty cool revenge killers or even makeshift walls. We still run into some concerns with Iron Defense + Body Press since physical walls would be named "Attack" and aren't taking half damage from it. However, physical attackers would be in a good position against it so it might not be too advisable unless you have a way to handle them.

Might see trick room strategies just to ignore speed halvers and take advantage of a boost.
Interesting concept, but this metagame seems so punishing. I mean, what is stopping an Iron Valiant from murdering everyone after Booster Energy.
Gamemode 2: Overkill

Concept - When you deal fatal damage, the actual percentage shows, and is deducted from the opponent's monsters in order. If I do 300% to the foe's 6th pokemon, their first and second will faint too. This does not deduct raw HP, just ratio. So if your blissey gets OHKO'd your team won't vanish.

Banned Characters - Chi Yu, Chien Pao, Kyogre, Arceus, Ursuluna BM, Other unholy attackers
Banned Moves - Trapping Moves

You'd have to be cautious about making a sacrificial switch, and the metagame would probably gravitate towards bulky heavy-hitters. But the threat of a fast sweeper would still be valid. We might see trick room strategies because bulk is hard to compromise in this meta. Additionally, healing wish offers a nice and safe way out without having to get bopped and risk other allies getting hurt.
I don't think much would change from this metagame and your average Gen 9 OU game. Unless a move is doing insane damage, the attack is likely to only do a little bit of chip on the mon in the back.

hi again...
Evolutionmons
You know how in the pokemon anime you see pokemon evolve in battle? Unfortunately, it is impossible for Pokemon to evolve in battle, but in this metagame, pokemon are able to evolve in battle.

Rules:

Mechanic:
Pokemon start out as first stage pokemon and after getting a kill, they evolve into their next stage.
Clauses: Sleep Clause (Limit one foe put to sleep), Species Clause (Limit one of each Pokemon), OHKO Clause (OHKO moves are banned), Evasion Items Clause (Evasion Items are banned), Evasion Moves Clause (Evasion Moves are banned), Single Evo Ban (All Pokemon that cannot evolve are banned).
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
Banned Moves:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

:sneasel::weavile: With a high speed stat and attack stat, Sneasel could use Swords Dance and then Knock Off to OHKO the opponent and evolve into Weavile to do extreme damage.
:gastly::haunter::gengar:Gastly is a very strong Pokemon, as it is one of the few baby Pokemon banned from Little Cup. Gastly also has a very similar moveset to Gengar, excluding Focus Blast, so when fully evolved into Gengar, it will have a wide movepool.
Decreased Viability:
:gimmighoul::gholdengo: A part of what made Gholdengo so good was its access to Recover and Make It Rain, but since Gimmighoul can't learn those moves, you will have a bad moveset.

Q&A:

Question

Answer: Example: After one kill, Grookey will evolve into Thwackey, and after another kill, Thwavkey will evolve into Rillaboom.

Answer: Example: Gligar's hidden ability is Immunity. After getting a KO, Gligar would evolve into Gliscor and its ability would change to Poison Heal, which is Glicor's hidden ability.

Answer: Honestly, I'm slightly unsure, but for now, it will just be random. Maybe there could be someway to choose who you would end up evolving into, but for now, I'm unsure.

Resources:

Playability:

Council:

Question:

Question: Should the mechanic change so that pokemon evolve after an amount of turns they have been in battle?
You need to rephrase "Single Evo Ban (All Pokemon that cannot evolve are banned)" or my understanding of it is that Middle Cup-legal mons are still legal because they can still evolve. Instead of worrying about banning Pawniard and Gastly, you gotta worry about banning Bisharp, Haunter, and Ursaring.

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/aegislash:
Stancemons

Hello, have you hated the fact that your Hoopa-Unbound or Greninja always dies upon the slightest touch by an enemy? Moan at the fact your Pex or Blissey has to simply watch as the enemy takes nothing from your Surf or Shadow Ball even when it's SE? Well do I have the perfect (potential) meta for you!

Rules:
Mechanic:
Whenever you attack your attack stats are "flipped" before the attack occurs (Atk -> Def/SpA -> SpD and vice versa). Protect (and clones like Spiky Shield) also triggers this flipping. Upon switching out you are automatically reverted back to your base stats.
Clauses: Standard OMs, Sleep Move Clause.
:calyrex-shadow: Calyrex-Shadow
:arceus: Arceus (All Forms)
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:chi-yu: Chi-Yu
:cloyster: Cloyster
:darkrai: Darkrai
:dialga: Dialga (Base+Origin)
:espathra: Espathra
:eternatus: Eternatus
:flutter mane: Flutter Mane
:giratina: Giratina (Base+Origin)
:gliscor: Gliscor
:groudon: Groudon
:koraidon: Koraidon
:kyogre: Kyogre
:landorus: Landorus-I
:magearna-original: Magearna
:mewtwo: Mewtwo
:miraidon: Miraidon
:ogerpon-hearthflame: Ogerpon-Fire
:palafin-hero: Palafin
:palkia: Palkia (Base+Origin)
:rayquaza: Rayquaza
:roaring moon: Roaring Moon
:shaymin-sky: Shaymin-Sky
:spectrier: Spectrier
:ursaluna-bloodmoon: Ursaluna-Blood
:urshifu: Urshifu (Single+Rapid)
:zacian-crowned: Zacian (Base+Crown)
:zamazenta-crowned: Zamazenta-Crowned

Banned Moves:
:cyclizar: Shed Tail
:houndstone: Last Respects
:scream-tail: Baton Pass

Banned Abilities:
:gothitelle: Shadow Tag
:dugtrio: Arena Trap

Watchlist:
:toxapex: Toxapex
:normal-gem: Tera

Strategy:

The ability to swap your offensive and defensive stats in general provides a large boost to offense within the tier and makes many defensive mons far more threatening while still retaining defensive utility via Protect. Normal offensive mons aren't entirely left out of the mix either, able to swap to their bulkier formes to potentially live hits they wouldn't (at a cost of lowered power) or use the extra bulk to try to setup though they must either dedicate a moveslot to Protect or have to trigger the chance while attacking and not immediately setting up.

Increased viability:

:toxapex:
Toxapex serves as a monstrous threat, able to flip and become extraordinarily threatening with 152/142 offensive stats while mitigating its incredibly poor defenses with Baneful Bunker and low speed. Life Orb can be paired with Regenerator to further boost its power while largely mitigating its downsides while even Merciless could be threatening with support.

:iron-valiant::dragonite: Iron Valiant manages to freely abuse the mechanic by being granted far better bulk that it can use to more easily setup with SD/CM before going on the offensive. Dragonite can do similar and abuse the extra bulk granted to setup up Dragon Dances and pose a massive threat or act more defensively. They dont get away entirely scot-free as they have to attack or sacrifice a moveslot for Protect to trigger the bulk change first.

:goodra-hisui::florges: Both are able to amply abuse the mechanic, able to swap their bulk around when the times comes to gain a massive 150~ SPA, making them far potent offensively as defensive mons while still retaining respectable bulk even when swapped.

:azumarill::medicham:Able to trade out their low base attack for better offensive stats, coupled with Huge Power leads to large meaningful increases in their offensive potency.

Decreased viability:

:gholdengo:
A small loss for Gholdengo as it's dissuaded from immediately attacking with a lower SpA stat but swapping stats doesn't mean it can setup as easily either as it gets swapped with a low 60 base defense leaving it in a tricky situation either way.

:choice-band::choice-specs: :choice-scarf: The large increase in usage of Protect means it becomes very easy to scout for Choiced moves, further many fast traditional offensive mons dislike Choice now as it is forced to use their usually low stats when Choiced (with rare exceptions like Huge Power mons) and those looking to abuse Choiced bulky mons can be forced back into their miserable offensive stats after a turn or when scouted with Protect.

:regieleki: With a lack of real setup, it's unable to properly take advantage of extra bulk well while losing out from not being able to attack immediately. Even when able to attack and with Tera, Protect can force it back into its horrible stats if against played well.

Q&A:

Q: Do Status moves like Dragon Dance, Recover or Toxic trigger the flip?
A: No, only attacking moves trigger the flip.

Q: If an attacking move fails, does it still trigger the flip?
A: No, the flip doesn't trigger if the attack fails due to a condition like Paralysis.

Questions for the community: Is the concept too beneficial for offense/setup in general? While Choice Items are largely useless outside of a few mons like Azu imo, setup can become a lot stronger (though you may argue it may be harder to setup with other strong mons wandering around that can abuse the swap)

Should the stats revert upon switching-out? Removing this and staying in one form may be more beneficial for defensive teams as it allows you to properly switch in with enhanced defensive stats on mons like Landorus-Therian but it could also just prove beneficial for some offensive setup mons that can immediately start setting up without having to use Protect.

Is Tera too broken for this meta? The prevalence of setup seems to enhance Tera's already controversial powers but at the same time it may also be necessary to keep in check some of the strong offensive mons in the tier.

:sv/aegislash:
Stancemons

Hello, have you hated the fact that your Hoopa-Unbound or Greninja always dies upon the slightest touch by an enemy? Moan at the fact your Pex or Blissey has to simply watch as the enemy takes nothing from your Surf or Shadow Ball even when it's SE? Well do I have the perfect (potential) meta for you!

Rules:
Mechanic:
Whenever you attack your attack stats are "flipped" before the attack occurs (Atk -> Def/SpA -> SpD and vice versa). Protect (and clones like Spiky Shield) also triggers this flipping. Upon switching out you are automatically reverted back to your base stats.
Clauses: Standard OMs, Sleep Move Clause.
:calyrex-shadow: Calyrex-Shadow
:arceus: Arceus (All Forms)
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:chi-yu: Chi-Yu
:cloyster: Cloyster
:darkrai: Darkrai
:dialga: Dialga (Base+Origin)
:espathra: Espathra
:eternatus: Eternatus
:flutter mane: Flutter Mane
:giratina: Giratina (Base+Origin)
:gliscor: Gliscor
:groudon: Groudon
:koraidon: Koraidon
:kyogre: Kyogre
:landorus: Landorus-I
:magearna-original: Magearna
:mewtwo: Mewtwo
:miraidon: Miraidon
:ogerpon-hearthflame: Ogerpon-Fire
:palafin-hero: Palafin
:palkia: Palkia (Base+Origin)
:rayquaza: Rayquaza
:roaring moon: Roaring Moon
:shaymin-sky: Shaymin-Sky
:spectrier: Spectrier
:ursaluna-bloodmoon: Ursaluna-Blood
:urshifu: Urshifu (Single+Rapid)
:zacian-crowned: Zacian (Base+Crown)
:zamazenta-crowned: Zamazenta-Crowned

Banned Moves:
:cyclizar: Shed Tail
:houndstone: Last Respects
:scream-tail: Baton Pass

Banned Abilities:
:gothitelle: Shadow Tag
:dugtrio: Arena Trap

Watchlist:
:toxapex: Toxapex
:normal-gem: Tera

Strategy:

The ability to swap your offensive and defensive stats in general provides a large boost to offense within the tier and makes many defensive mons far more threatening while still retaining defensive utility via Protect. Normal offensive mons aren't entirely left out of the mix either, able to swap to their bulkier formes to potentially live hits they wouldn't (at a cost of lowered power) or use the extra bulk to try to setup though they must either dedicate a moveslot to Protect or have to trigger the chance while attacking and not immediately setting up.

Increased viability:

:toxapex:
Toxapex serves as a monstrous threat, able to flip and become extraordinarily threatening with 152/142 offensive stats while mitigating its incredibly poor defenses with Baneful Bunker and low speed. Life Orb can be paired with Regenerator to further boost its power while largely mitigating its downsides while even Merciless could be threatening with support.

:iron-valiant::dragonite: Iron Valiant manages to freely abuse the mechanic by being granted far better bulk that it can use to more easily setup with SD/CM before going on the offensive. Dragonite can do similar and abuse the extra bulk granted to setup up Dragon Dances and pose a massive threat or act more defensively. They dont get away entirely scot-free as they have to attack or sacrifice a moveslot for Protect to trigger the bulk change first.

:goodra-hisui::florges: Both are able to amply abuse the mechanic, able to swap their bulk around when the times comes to gain a massive 150~ SPA, making them far potent offensively as defensive mons while still retaining respectable bulk even when swapped.

:azumarill::medicham:Able to trade out their low base attack for better offensive stats, coupled with Huge Power leads to large meaningful increases in their offensive potency.

Decreased viability:

:gholdengo:
A small loss for Gholdengo as it's dissuaded from immediately attacking with a lower SpA stat but swapping stats doesn't mean it can setup as easily either as it gets swapped with a low 60 base defense leaving it in a tricky situation either way.

:choice-band::choice-specs: :choice-scarf: The large increase in usage of Protect means it becomes very easy to scout for Choiced moves, further many fast traditional offensive mons dislike Choice now as it is forced to use their usually low stats when Choiced (with rare exceptions like Huge Power mons) and those looking to abuse Choiced bulky mons can be forced back into their miserable offensive stats after a turn or when scouted with Protect.

:regieleki: With a lack of real setup, it's unable to properly take advantage of extra bulk well while losing out from not being able to attack immediately. Even when able to attack and with Tera, Protect can force it back into its horrible stats if against played well.

Q&A:

Q: Do Status moves like Dragon Dance, Recover or Toxic trigger the flip?
A: No, only attacking moves trigger the flip.

Q: If an attacking move fails, does it still trigger the flip?
A: No, the flip doesn't trigger if the attack fails due to a condition like Paralysis.

Questions for the community: Is the concept too beneficial for offense/setup in general? While Choice Items are largely useless outside of a few mons like Azu imo, setup can become a lot stronger (though you may argue it may be harder to setup with other strong mons wandering around that can abuse the swap)

Should the stats revert upon switching-out? Removing this and staying in one form may be more beneficial for defensive teams as it allows you to properly switch in with enhanced defensive stats on mons like Landorus-Therian but it could also just prove beneficial for some offensive setup mons that can immediately start setting up without having to use Protect.

Is Tera too broken for this meta? The prevalence of setup seems to enhance Tera's already controversial powers but at the same time it may also be necessary to keep in check some of the strong offensive mons in the tier.
Do your stats flip every time you attack? If so, Protect is practically mandatory, otherwise you'll be attacking from your weaker stat every other turn.
Also, please don't use black text, it's almost unreadable in dark mode.

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Do your stats flip every time you attack? If so, Protect is practically mandatory, otherwise you'll be attacking from your weaker stat every other turn.
Also, please don't use black text, it's almost unreadable in dark mode.
Yes, this choice was a departure from the original concept but I decided to change it as otherwise a lot of mons would otherwise be gimped completely (like Dragonite can ONLY use its lower Defense stat attacking).

You need to rephrase "Single Evo Ban (All Pokemon that cannot evolve are banned)" or my understanding of it is that Middle Cup-legal mons are still legal because they can still evolve. Instead of worrying about banning Pawniard and Gastly, you gotta worry about banning Bisharp, Haunter, and Ursaring.
Yeah I phrased that weirdly. Hopefully this can help. The premise is that everyone has a team with baby/first stage pokemon such as Skwovet, Gastly, and Aipom. Lets say the Skwovet defeats the Gastly. This makes the Skwovet evolve into Greedent. Lets say afterwards a Pawniard defeats the Greedent. This makes the Pawniard evolve into Bisharp. Then lets say the Bisharp defeats an Aipom. This makes the Bisharp evolve into Kingambit. Also, I don't need to ban Bisharp because you have to start out with baby pokemon no matter what. Also the single evo ban means that you can't use one stage pokemon such as Torkoal or Iron Valiant. Hopefully what I just said makes sense.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
hi again...
Evolutionmons

Rules:

Mechanic:
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
Banned Moves:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

Decreased Viability:

Q&A:

Question

Resources:

Playability:

Council:

Question:

The problem with this is that as soon as the first mon gets a ko, it will have too much of an easy time sweeping, specially when all the possible defensive mons are going to be LC for most of the game, it should also have too much of an easy time further setting up at that point as few stuff would be able to break a sub from an evolved mon or have enough power to prevent it from just clicking any set up move.

hi again...
Evolutionmons

Rules:

Mechanic:
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
Banned Moves:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

Decreased Viability:

Q&A:

Question

Resources:

Playability:

Council:

Question:

You could fix the problems KaenSoul pointed out by making this a reverse Benjamin Butterfree where Pokémon evolve instead of fainting (or if you're okay with changing the concept you could just resubmit Benjamin Butterfree).

The problem with this is that as soon as the first mon gets a ko, it will have too much of an easy time sweeping, specially when all the possible defensive mons are going to be LC for most of the game, it should also have too much of an easy time further setting up at that point as few stuff would be able to break a sub from an evolved mon or have enough power to prevent it from just clicking any set up move.
I was thinking about that so if the mechanic would be changed to have a pokemon evolve after, lets say five turns on the battle field, would that be acceptable?

Chinchou1984

Banned deucer.
hi again...
Evolutionmons

Rules:

Mechanic:
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
Banned Moves:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

Decreased Viability:

Q&A:

Question

Resources:

Playability:

Council:

Question:

what if you used the final evolution for teambuilder purposes, like putting a gorebyss on your team will give you a clamperl that will always evolve into gorebyss?

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Yes, this choice was a departure from the original concept but I decided to change it as otherwise a lot of mons would otherwise be gimped completely (like Dragonite can ONLY use its lower Defense stat attacking).
There is nothing wrong with a mon getting worse because of a concept, it is a side effect many formats have, specially those based around stat changes like reevo and flipped, feels like you should stick to Stance Change mechanics to keep it easy to understand, and because making it so your stats always switch when using an offensive move means it will be twice as hard to take down a wall, as they will not switch its stats for no reason, while you use a weaker stat every other turn, meaning this is heavily nerfing every offensive mon that doesn't have a high defensive stat anyway while making stall much better.
Should also word better the op so it says "Whenever you use an offensive move your attack stats are "flipped" before the attack occurs..." as otherwise people could think is any move. And if you make the change so it works more like Stance Change it would be "The first time you use an offensive move your stats are "flipped" before the attack occurs (your base Atk/SpA switch places with your Def/SpD), this reverts when using a Protect-like move, until you use an offensive move again".
This would make it so stall isn't as crazy, but I imagine the best mons are still mostly tanks and walls that now work as bulky attackers, so expect a lot of bulky offense.
But regardless of which version of the concept you submit, I can't ignore this feels like Flipped with extra steps.
what if you used the final evolution for teambuilder purposes, like putting a gorebyss on your team will give you a clamperl that will always evolve into gorebyss?
I would avoid doing this, as it would make legality a bit confusing, as you begin the game in baby form and have to use their move legality, so people need to know what moves they get before evolving.
You could fix the problems KaenSoul pointed out by making this a reverse Benjamin Butterfree where Pokémon evolve instead of fainting (or if you're okay with changing the concept you could just resubmit Benjamin Butterfree).
This is a good idea, expect the part about resubmitting BB, that format had some balancing problems that made so it is not eligible to come back without some mayor changes.

I Choose You!

Premise
: This is a bring 6 pick 3 metagame. Players take turn drafting Pokemon one at a time, and each time they draft, more information about the Pokemon are revealed.

A coin is flipped for the first person's pick and the winner picks a Pokemon from their team of six. The player who lost the coin flip picks their next Pokemon. After this first draft, the item and ability of the chosen of both players' Pokemon are revealed. Now the loser of the coin flip gets first pick in the second draft and then the winner gets second. After the second draft, the first two moves of all the chosen Pokemon of both players are revealed. Finally, the winner of the coin flip gets the first pick of the third draft and the loser gets the final pick. The last two moves of all the chosen Pokemon are revealed. The game then begins as a 3v3.

The reason why the second draft is reversed is so the loser coin flip does not have such a big disadvantage.

This creates more interesting plays because you can't lose to coverage or a Choice Scarf you didn't expect. You can still run those, but the opponent also knows. However stats are not shown, which means there is still variety in the sets you can create. You also have to adapt on the fly and be careful about the order of choosing your Pokemon. Information only slowly reveals so you have to be cautious when making your draft.

Questions:

Should the revealing order be changed in any way?

Should tera be revealed? If so, after which draft? Would revealing it make tera more balanced to not be banned?

Should the metagame be bring 6 choose 3, or something bigger, like bring 12 choose 6? How would revealing the sets work with that many drafts?

I Choose You!

Premise
: This is a bring 6 pick 3 metagame. Players take turn drafting Pokemon one at a time, and each time they draft, more information about the Pokemon are revealed.

A coin is flipped for the first person's pick and the winner picks a Pokemon from their team of six. The player who lost the coin flip picks their next Pokemon. After this first draft, the item and ability of the chosen of both players' Pokemon are revealed. Now the loser of the coin flip gets first pick in the second draft and then the winner gets second. After the second draft, the first two moves of all the chosen Pokemon of both players are revealed. Finally, the winner of the coin flip gets the first pick of the third draft and the loser gets the final pick. The last two moves of all the chosen Pokemon are revealed. The game then begins as a 3v3.

The reason why the second draft is reversed is so the loser coin flip does not have such a big disadvantage.

This creates more interesting plays because you can't lose to coverage or a Choice Scarf you didn't expect. You can still run those, but the opponent also knows. However stats are not shown, which means there is still variety in the sets you can create. You also have to adapt on the fly and be careful about the order of choosing your Pokemon. Information only slowly reveals so you have to be cautious when making your draft.

Questions:

Should the revealing order be changed in any way?

Should tera be revealed? If so, after which draft? Would revealing it make tera more balanced to not be banned?

Should the metagame be bring 6 choose 3, or something bigger, like bring 12 choose 6? How would revealing the sets work with that many drafts?
This metagame just seems kind of uninteresting, no offense. I mean, this metagame is basically just a 3v3 with some revealed info. With most metagames, you'll see a mechanic being changed while in this metagame, there is just some revealed information about the pokemon the opponent has.

Chessmons
In chess, there is the pawn, bishop, knight, rook, queen and king, in pokemon, you can have a team of 6, for the first slot, it is the pawn, for the second slot, it is the knight, third is the bishop, fourth is the rook, fifth is the queen and sixth is the king, the pawn would would have no advantage but maybe if it kills another piece in gains a 1.5x buff to their highest stat, knight is 1.5x speed, bishop would have 1.5x spatk and spdef, rook is 1.5x atk and def, queen is 1.5x all stats, and the king is -1 stage in all stats, the game ends at any point when the king is defeated

Chessmons
In chess, there is the pawn, bishop, knight, rook, queen and king, in pokemon, you can have a team of 6, for the first slot, it is the pawn, for the second slot, it is the knight, third is the bishop, fourth is the rook, fifth is the queen and sixth is the king, the pawn would would have no advantage but maybe if it kills another piece in gains a 1.5x buff to their highest stat, knight is 1.5x speed, bishop would have 1.5x spatk and spdef, rook is 1.5x atk and def, queen is 1.5x all stats, and the king is -1 stage in all stats, the game ends at any point when the king is defeated
This certainly is an interesting idea and I love the concept. I think this could certainly be a successful metagame IF balanced. For example: Let's say Iron Valiant is your queen. In Gen 9 OU, it plays the role of a Booster Energy Sweeper and it does its role quite well. If it gets a kill, Iron Val might just win the entire game. Though, I do believe, this metagame can be successful if taken carefully.

Chessmons
The problem is you just lead Queen v. Queen Fast Mon and just allows for too much snowballing at its current state, also:
Chessmons: Mixed Tier teambuilding based on chess pieces

The problem is you just lead Queen v. Queen Fast Mon and just allows for too much snowballing at its current state, also:
hm, what if you are forced to lead with your pawn, would that fix the issue (since in chess, the first move is usually the pawn's)

Chessmons
Whoops I messed up. Apparently mods don't like Chessmon-like metagames (that apparently get submitted often)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)