Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dugtrio Cage Match

Two mons come in, only one gets out.

Basically: OU but switching is banned.

Additional rules to maybe make team building more interesting:
- No team preview? Maybe also define the full team order at team-builder time?
- Pick order on team preview and disallow choosing which mons comes after someone is KOed?
- Heck, make it a randomized meta?

Volt-turn and such would obviously not work. Same for shed shell. NO SWITCHING!

This post was made by the auto-pilot bad at predicting gang (AKA me)

This idea probably already exists somewhere, but I couldn't find anything about it (or blacklisting it)

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Dugtrio Cage Match

- Pick order on team preview and disallow choosing which mons comes after someone is KOed?

This idea probably already exists somewhere, but I couldn't find anything about it (or blacklisting it)
this is on the commonly rejected oms list

A meta where switching is completely removed would likely end up as 1v1 Loser's Game with a prolonged ending. Whoever loses the lead matchup gets to send out something that can set up on the opponent's lead, and there's not a damn thing the opponent can do as it sets up to +6 and then sweeps.

SUPER AUTO MONS

Metagame Premise:

This is a metagame based off of the game super auto pets that turns pokemon in to an autobattle game by only allowing one option every turn

• All pokemon can only have one move
  • moves that don't deal damage are banned in order to prevent infinite battles
  • Switching is not allowed
  • Type Immunities Are Changed to resists (Again to prevent infinite battles) for example ground takes half damage from electric attacks instead of being immune
  • Games Are Played with a blitz timer (unless it is made fully auto)
  • The order pokemon come out in is determined by the order they are in when they are in the builder
Example.PNG

For example this team will always be sent out in the order of Peliper, Kingdra, Politoed, Tapu Koko, Regieleki, Barraskewda

This mean all strategy is done in the builder and gameplay is all done pretty much automatically since you one have one option every turn.

Potential Bans and Threats:

• Choice Items: Since you can only use one move anyways choice items have no drawbacks
  • Assault Vest: Since Non-Attacking moves will be banned you can run this with no drawbacks as well
  • Weather Teams: Spamming sun and rain boosted attacks with abilities like swift swim and chlorophyll may be too much to handle
  • Abilities and items that may lead to infinite battles: Examples are immunity abilites like water absorb and sap sipper, and healing items like leftovers.
Questions:

• How should moves that force the user to switch such as u-turn and volt switch be dealt with?
  • How should moves that force the opponent to switch such as dragon tail and circle throw be dealt with?
  • Should Choice Items be banned or limited?
  • Would it be possible to make battles fully automatic on showdown?
  • What are your thought on the idea and how can it be improved?

SUPER AUTO MONS

Metagame Premise:

This is a metagame based off of the game super auto pets that turns pokemon in to an autobattle game by only allowing one option every turn

• Type Immunities Are Changed to resists (Again to prevent infinite battles) for example ground takes half damage from electric attacks instead of being immune
  • The order pokemon come out in is determined by the order they are in when they are in the builder
View attachment 453084
For example this team will always be sent out in the order of Peliper, Kingdra, Politoed, Tapu Koko, Regieleki, Barraskewda

This mean all strategy is done in the builder and gameplay is all done pretty much automatically since you one have one option every turn.

• Choice Items: Since you can only use one move anyways choice items have no drawbacks
  • Assault Vest: Since Non-Attacking moves will be banned you can run this with no drawbacks as well
  • Weather Teams: Spamming sun and rain boosted attacks with abilities like swift swim and chlorophyll may be too much to handle
  • Abilities and items that may lead to infinite battles: Examples are immunity abilites like water absorb and sap sipper, and healing items like leftovers.
Questions:

• How should moves that force the user to switch such as u-turn and volt switch be dealt with?
  • How should moves that force the opponent to switch such as dragon tail and circle throw be dealt with?
i personally think the main issue with this meta would be the lack of real battle skill. it relies ALL on the teambuilder to function, which takes out half the game of pokemon. u-turn and vs should just do normal damage and not switch, same with dragon tail and circle throw. ban both choice items and assault vest since they're way too powerful.

u-turn and vs should just do normal damage and not switch, same with dragon tail and circle throw.
Changing how individual moves work puts this outside the realm of OMs. There's no reason for Circle Throw to not function as normal, and U-turn would either switch to the next in line, switch to something random, or just be banned.

Honestly, the type immunity thing already kinda puts this outside the realm of OMs, or at least is super clunky, since it's an alteration unrelated to the core mechanic.

drampa's grandpa

benign auto-cannibal
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
It's been awhile since I replied to these. Bad Drampa. Because of that I won't actually tag people on months old stuff.
Winning Move

This metagame is basically normal OU metagame in which players have a new, optional win condition: Use move of every type in the game!
As soon as player uses moves of all 18 different types, no matter if Physical, Special or Status... player wins immediately.

In this metagame, usually bulkier or quicker Pokemon are valued a lot as they can survive many of the moves or execute moves quicker than others.
Moves with Priority, ones which let's you switch faster or which let's you prevent opponent from using their moves are highly valued.
Abilities which grant you Priority or which resist certain strategies will be of great help!

However... you may also decide that the best strategy for this Metagame is to simply eliminate opponents Pokemon. If they can't play move of every type, their only other way to win is to defeat your Team, but what if their team was not made for that?

This metagame will reward teams which can both include this new wincondition as an option while being good enough to handle other teams outside of it.

Some of the moves which might or will help greatly in filling the list of types:
- Protect [Normal] / Detect [Fighting] / Spiky Shield [Grass] / Baneful Bunker [Poison] / King's Shield [Steel]
Protecting moves have high priority and ensure that their user survives whatever opponent will throw at them.
Both Protect and Detect are more common to most Pokemon, while the other, more exotic moves may allow to fill lacking types.

- U-turn [Bug] / Volt Switch [Electric] / Flip Turn [Water] / Parting Shot [Dark] / Teleport [Psychic]
Moves which allow users to fill the list of used types all while allowing to switch to the next Pokemon - accelerating the progress on filling said list.
Especially U-Turn, Parting Shot and Teleport will come in handy as they either have no or little to no immunities and their effects will not be interrupted.
I think a honorary mention should be given to Explosion as once you play all other moves, there is little to no reason to switch back to the Pokemon anyway...

- Moves applying Paralysis or Flinch like Thunder Wave [Electric] or Fake Out [Normal]
You can prevent opponent from playing moves in order to get ahead in the game. Paralysis have this great benefit of slowing down the opponent and is more permanent than one-time Flinch, but both are incredibly useful.
Because of this, having Pokemon immune to those effects or moves - while won't prevent opponent from filling their list, it will at least prevent them from stealing those precious turns.

- Taunt [Dark], Encore [Normal], Trick [Psychic] + Choice item, Imprison [Psychic]
Anything which can prevent opponent from playing moves will be appreciated greatly.
I didn't mentioned Disable in this list, because that move can only be used after a move have been used already. Outside of this strategy it will be still very useful move, but it's value got reduced in this metagame.

- Self-stat dropping moves like Close Combat [Fighting] and Leaf Storm [Grass]
Since swapping between Pokemon will be common, Stat Drops will also not be as big of a problem as they tend to be otherwise.
This type of moves also have usually a high Base Power which may allow you to KO opponents Pokemon. That might completely ruin their chances of utilizing this win-condition.

- Copycat [Normal], Metronome [Normal], Nature Power [Normal]
Those are probably not the strongest moves in the game, but they have one niche in this OM - they allow players to play TWO moves in a single turn.
Copycat could allow you to fill in some moves which your team lacks because of unexpected KO.
Metronome would be possibly a good early move option to knock out two types before you filled the list with said types. I don't expect it to be too strong because of it's randomness, but it's still worth mentioning.
Nature Power could allow you to knock two consistent types - being Normal and whatever terrain happens to be present during usage of said move.

It might also be also worth mentioning Weather Ball which doesn't play another move after itself, BUT it does adapt to weather. This move could on it's own - with right timing - fill by itself multitude of various types.

What you think of this OM idea? Which Pokemon might be best in this new exciting game mode?
How new generation of Pokemon could possibly affect this metagame?

I hope you like the idea for the metagame!
This would likely just be OU when the players were any good, except maybe for some stall teams. As was pointed out, there are 18 types and 24 moveslots on a team, which are all very valuable and highly unlikely to be going to Metronome or Copycat just to unreliably get that one type you need.

This would get a no from me. You would need to modify the condition to be more achievable without being insanely easy in order for it to be considerable. I don't dislike the concept; it's creative, different, and could be fun to play and build with. It just needs to be heavily fine-tuned.

(This idea started out as a shower thought so it might have problems but it's mostly functional)

Better typing
(placeholder)

Introduction:
What if primary and secondary typing actually mattered? In normal play you get the same STAB, and both matter equally when DMG calcs are done.This OM would change these fundamental pokemon rules, in a format based in OU.

Rules:
The primary type of a pokemon would be more important when weakness and resistance are being defined, but STAB would be weaker for pokemon with dual typing (the dmg bonus would be 25%, not 50%), meanwhile a mon's secondary typing would receive full STAB boosts. Adaptability would boost primary typing to 1.5 and secondary typing to 2.
If a pokemon's primary type resists an attack that its secondary type is weak to, the attack is resisted by the defending mon.
If a pokemon's secondary type resists an attack that its primary type is weak to, the attack is neutralized.
Inmunities work the same, but a mon with an ability preventing damage from a type it's 4x weak to (like Rotom-Heat's levitate) will receive 1/2 resisted damage from a move of that type.

Bans:
Standard OU banlist.

An example:
If Corviknight (Flying/Steel) gets hit by a Fighting type move, it receives resisted damage as it's primary typing (Flying) resists the attack even though it's secondary typing (Steel) is weak to it.
However, if Corviknight were hit by an Ice type move (which Flying is weak to and Steel type resists damage from), the attack would deal neutral damage to Corviknight.
If Corviknight were attacked with a ground type move, it would keep it's inmunity.

Potential changes:
-The name of the metagame needs to be changed.
-The changes to inmunities may be changed for balance or just comfort.
-STAB damage boosts might be changed.
-Stall might be very strong so implementing resistances to status effects and hazards might help.

Predictions for how the meta would be:
-The meta would be stally but some important stall mons are nerfed.
-More use of coverage moves, and Water and Fairy type moves (they're the most common secondary types in OU apart from Steel which is bad offensively), so Ferro becomes more commonly used even though it's primary grass typing would probably nerf it (it loses important resistances and can't use Power Whip or the rarer Grass Knot effectively)
-Crawdaunt could see more use due to Adaptability.
-Weavile becomes slightly less viable due to it's Knock Off losing 1/6 of it's current damage, also Alolatales just gets nerfed.
-Blacephalon's best move is now officially Shadow Ball.
-Lando becomes an exclusively support pokemon.
-Mons with Ice or Rock as their primary type are less used.
-Secondary Steels with a defensively bad primary typing probavly fade out in use, as their better STAB options only hit Ice, Fairy and Rock for super-effective damage.
-HO is pretty much useless.
The numbers used here feel somewhat random, although I cannot think what would be better.
While the defensive and offensive multipliers are connected thematically, there's really little objective sense behind this metas changes, and it feels more like a Pet Mod than an OM to me.
The gameplay also seems like a version of OU designed to make people do more complicated math in their head, without providing them any particularly new changes.

I think I would give this a pretty hard no if it was submitted, and I don't think much could be done to change my mind. I wouldn't mind seeing something that differentiated between Primary and Secondary typing more but this doesn't seem like the way to do it.
OM: Mixed Strategy Wars

Metagame Premise: Players numerically apply the concepts of mixed strategies and risk vs reward.

Players play normally until a turn where one player does more damage, or one player makes a move and the other switches or does nothing (due to taunt or other things). Starting with the player with the "advantage" last turn, this turn he must allocate a percentage chance to each possible move and switch he has, and this is revealed to the opponent. The move names are not revealed if they have not be used yet. The move chosen is completely based on these percentage chances, and they must total 100. Then the opponent chooses their move. We alternate who shows their hand every turn. So if it's Player A's turn to show first, and it's his specs Lele against Slowking-Galar, and only Psyshock has been revealed, he might do:

Psyshock: 60%
Move 2: 20%
Move 3: 10%

(Switch to) Ferrothorn: 10%

Move 2 is actually Moonblast to cover Weavile, move 3 is focus blast, and move 4 is Thunderbolt. It is 0% because it does not cover anything.

This might take longer than usual, so I would advocate this for 3v3 at least. For 6v6, stall might do worse since it makes it harder for them to make predictable plays.
I changed the mixed strategy OM idea to involve only switches so it's less cumbersome.

OM: Switch Minimax

Metagame Premise: Players numerically apply the concepts of mixed strategies and risk vs reward.

Players play normally until a turn where one player does more damage, or one player makes a move and the other switches or does nothing (due to taunt or other things). Starting with the player with the "advantage" last turn, this turn he must allocate a percentage chance to each switch he could make, and this is revealed to the opponent. Then the opponent chooses their move. We use a random number from 1 to 100 to determine the first player;s move. We alternate who shows their hand every turn. So if it's Player A's turn to show first, and it's his Slowking-Galar against a specs Lele, he might do:

Stay In: 30%
Switch to Ferrothorn: 40%
Switch to Mandibuzz: 30%
I do not believe this is codable and will not be giving it much more thought than that unless I am told (by someone who codes for us specifically not by you) that it's feasible.
Very briefly though this feels like it is essentially removing a human element from the game and putting it more in the hands of RNG. This is something we try to steer away from. Smogon tiering in general tries to make its metagames less RNG dependent and haxy rather than more.

Writing this up so I don't forget about it in gen9.

Name: Borrowed Nature

Metagame Premise: LC, but stats affected by a mon's nature are overwritten by their fully evolved forme's.
Potential bans and threats:
  • Arena Trap mons (Diglett, Trapinch)
  • Honest a load, this is a large offensive boost and I'd have to see how it works in practice
  • Its also something that would be submitted in gen9, so I don't know what mons are there.
Questions for the community:
  • The boost provided by this mechanic is largely offensive, and LC is already an offensive meta. Does this push too many mons into unbalanced territory, or can the few mons that gain substantial defensive boosts (marianie has literally the same stats as pex) help it stay balanced.
  • Given the substantial mechanical changes, and substantially raised power level, are any of the existing LC Uber mons unbannable.
  • I cannot run this as I don't know LC.
  • Staying at level 5 helps differentiate this from a traditional OM, but does raise the barrier of entry for non-LC players. Should it stay at level 5, or perhaps be played at level 100?
  • Should anything else be taken from the evo?

Anyone who knows LC and knows OMs has my explicit permission to resubmit this in gen9 once OM submissions are open again. I don't have enough expertise in any area, but this seems like potentially interesting.
This is interesting and works specifically as LC, so I think it's a good choice. At the same time it's busted as all hell and I can't wait to use my 140 Attack Hustle Darumaka-Either in LC. I think it should absolutely stay at level 5 as that stays truer to the source material, but I can understand why people would want to move away (it would be less broken at 100). Simultaneously this might be more balanced in NFE base than in LC, as stats are less uneven, but I would prefer to stay in LC to avoid similarities to Cross Evolution or Reevolution.
As Quziel said there needs to be a solution for Pokemon like Slowpoke that have multiple evolutions. Nicknames work and it sucks.
This overall has my Dramp of approval.

Oh lol, I actually suggested this earlier

Anyway, this would be different because they share through typing, not abilities, but anyway I’m more interested in the “share abilities based on typing” route. Assume the AAA banlist. Also I believe in this kind of OM you can’t inherit from Dexited mons.

:Mew: gets Magic Guard.
:Venusaur:, :Conkeldurr:, :Porygon2:, :Mew:, :Blissey: (god help me), and more get Regen.
:Barraskewda: and :Sharpedo: get Adaptability. :Barraskewda: also gets Sheer Force.
:Braviary: and a few others get Tinted Lens.
:Zeraora: gets Transistor (ban.) :Haxorus: gets Dragon’s Maw.
Most Intimidate users have better options available. (Namely Regen, with things like :Toxapex: and :Mienshao: distributing to the same Pokemon as things like :Qwilfish: and :Hitmontop:.)
:Buzzwole: is a Guts abuser now.
:Swampert:, :Gastrodon:, :Seismitoad:, and :Mew: get Unaware.

Those are all the game-breaking abilities (besides banned stuff like Huge Power.) As for Pokemon that get smaller buffs:

Bulk Up :Corviknight: might like Beast Boost.
:Dragapult: and :Garchomp: get Levitate for a nice immunity.
:Volcarona: and :Zapdos: also get immunities with Flash Fire and Volt Absorb respectively.

Oh, and there’s weather stuff!
Many Pokemon like :Gyarados:, :Milotic:, :Blastoise:, and :Vaporeon: can choose between Drizzle or Swift Swim.
:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: (yikes), :Swampert:, and :Gastrodon: also get Swift Swim.
:Entei:, :Arcanine: (which has the Drought + Morning Sun combo), and ironically :Hippowdon: get Drought.
:Zarude:, :Celebi:, and :Roserade: get Chlorophyll.
:Moltres: gets Solar Power.
:Tyranitar: and :Hippowdon: are probably still the best Sand setters.
:Landorus-Therian:, :Swampert:, and :Barraskewda: get Sand Force.
:Cloyster: gets Slush Rush I guess.
Generally defunct metagames should stay that way. You would need to make a very strong argument for it to come back. Almost Any Ability is superior in practically every way, and I cannot see supporting this. It's just an outclassed metagame.

OM Suggestion: Generation Leap (Needs a name change)
OM Premise: Bring 6 pokemon of different generations, if the pokemon exists in other generations, take the first generation it appeared in and take it as its generation.
I strongly dislike metagames of this sort. To be clear, ones where you need to pick 6 Pokemon from 6 different categories, whether they be tiers, generations, or colors. They make building more difficult without adding much to the metagame and are simply less fun versions of OU. My response to this meta idea is that it should be a draft league (which no, I am not saying we would host).

Still probably not enough to make it that interesting.

To avoid posting a one-liner, here’s a new idea!

Piracy (aka MegaMons)
Upon KOing an opponent, the attacker gains its moves for the rest of the battle in addition to its own. (does not reset upon switching) Each Pokemon can only hold one extra moveset: if they KO another Pokemon they replace their current stolen moveset with the opponent they just KOed. Stolen moves cannot be re-stolen. Transform replaces all of the user’s moves (natural and stolen) with all of the target’s moves. (natural and stolen) If a move would be stolen that the attacker also possesses, the move is not stolen.

Like with Crazyhouse there’s strategy in building your movesets so that you can’t be countered by your own stolen moves. You also can use moves that won’t work well with opposing Pokemon like Power Herb Meteor Beam, signature moves that fail on other Pokemon, Snow Warning AVeil, or No Guard Dynamic Punch.

If you’ve stolen something, you’d sometimes want to hold off on KOing another foe so you can keep your current stolen moves for specific situations.
I like this idea. It reminds me of Crazyhouse, which you mention, but would likely be less of a pain to code :3. I can definitely see how it encourages intelligent play and stuff like smart sacks, and ability / item + move strategies you mentioned. I would encourage you to post this next generation.
My main qualm is in fact the similarity to Crazyhouse, but my hope is this can stand out enough.

idk why you put aka MegaMons tho this isn't MegaMons ;-;

I know there is a one week cooldown but I think I have a new idea I think will be cool:
Monoeggs(Name WIP)
Egg groups are seen as very odd things in pokemon and not talked about often, but in this 'meta', egg groups will play an important role in choosing your team as with monotype, there will be a single type your team will be based on, but here, egg groups will be the main basis on your teambuilding factor, as your team will only be based on a single egg group, and egg groups can lead to more options in teambuilding which will lead to more creative teams, and there is no definite win or lose matchup.
Metagames that only limit are very rarely successful. This doesn't do anything to make the metagame different than OU besides put that limit in place. I would not approve, and I promise you neither would the rest of the submissions team.

TERASTABmons
Metagame Premise: Every Pokemon gets every move that matches their Tera Type.

Most moves that were broken in STABmons are likely going to be broken here, but what Pokemon are broken here would change up. Since we don’t know SV’s Dex yet, we can only make some general rules, such as Duel Type Pokemon being nerfed from their STABmon counterparts. Additionally Pokemon with weaker movepools are buffed massively compared to STABmon counterparts.
Questions:
What limits to this mechanic do you think should be in the Metagame?
This would be.... interesting. I saw the discussion above, but my understanding is that each individual Pokemon only gets one Tera type, which cannot be changed, and which I don't think is shown in any way until you activate it.
This seems like it would be a fun and relatively balanced metagame, and I would give it proper consideration if it was submitted in gen 9.
I think this would likely be too similar to Sketchmons. You need to want more than one move for it to really be different, other than the fact that you're sacrificing other potential tera types.

Should Pokemon get a bonus once they Terastallize besides the bonuses they normally get?
Absolutely not. One meta one mechanic.

If Tera type can be changed... well I suppose we could ignore that. But let's not make everything Silvally OK?

3v3/ Triple Threat!
Triple Threat is where you bring 3 Pokémon on your team and all of the pokemon are immediately faced off with another team of 3! This will result in the birth of new crazy strategies and alot of mayhem, and some pokemon that worked well on its own may fall and some pokemon that were not regarded as much may rise! And yes, I mean controlling 3 Pokémon in 1 turn!
Triples is a good metagame, which I have no direct issues with. 6v6 Triples is likely much better than 3v3 however.
The question of coding has to be brought up. Whether it's possible on PS, whether there are objective ways to code new abilities, moves, and items... that's not really my forte.
Feel free to submit this in gen 9 and we can hash it all out though, but be aware you might just be given a hard no.

Dugtrio Cage Match

As Ducky said, this is on the commonly rejected list. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-metagames-index-ask-questions-here.3656451/#post-8287256

What if there was an OM kinda like Linkmons but with items instead of abilities? I would call it Bagmons. Knock Off would permanently eliminate 1 random item from this pool even if the mon that had the item switches back in, it's going to apply to that one mon only to keep things balanced. Recycle would be the only way to restore that, along with any other moves that do the same thing. It's would be like OU levels of power. If a consumable item like Weakness Policy. is used, it is used on all mons till a mon uses a move to bring it back. Maybe Sticky Hold would be kind of broken, but I think the number of mons that have it would balance it. Items that are exclusive to certain mons like Light Ball wouldn't be passed to other mons, so no 2x power Rhyperiors or any mons that could abuse it. I'm also not sure if anyone already suggested this. I think it would be interesting to see the strats. Also, all regular clauses and move bans apply. Also, Dynamax Clause is there. Other than that is pretty much normal
Couple of things:
I think the mechanics you're describing are kind of odd, given my understanding of the base idea, specifically with regards to single use items. I also think you're underestimating how much this metagame would amp up power levels, just in terms of how hard stuff would hit with multiple power boosting items. I just cant imagine a KO practically every turn being that fun.
Lastly, unfortunately you do not fulfill the requirements to submit a metagame currently. The requirements can be found here. I recommend you take some time to hang around OMs and see what we look for in OMs, and maybe fine-tune your submission a little. It will be a couple months (gen 9) before we actually accept anything, and even then we will absolutely be prioritizing our main metas for a little while.

SUPER AUTO MONS

Metagame Premise:

View attachment 453084

Questions:

I won't lie it sounds rather simplistic and one-dimensional. Pick the strong fast move and click it.
However you don't need to change mechanics, because with immunities you'll just run out of PP. If you do try to change mechanics it will be an instant rejection. If you don't... Well there will be about, what, 10? very high risk typings.
Ban Shedinja, I would not approve.

Om Idea - Fusion Evolution (Fusion Evo)

The premise is that you nickname your Pokemon with the name of another, and the difference of stats and the type will be added on/taken away. You can choose the type you want to inherit from the nicknamed mon in the nickname (For example: Jumpluff,Flying) and that type will replace your second type. For single typed mons it will just get added on and not replace it.

For Example: Marowak (Tapu Fini) Water/Ground 80 70 120 135 180 125

Rules/Clauses: One Nicknamed mon per team, Delibird ban, Only can nickname fully evolved mons, Maybe stat boost cap??, You don't need to put the type in the nickname if it's a single typed mon (see marowak example)

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

The premise is that you nickname your Pokemon with the name of another, and the difference of stats and the type will be added on/taken away. You can choose the type you want to inherit from the nicknamed mon in the nickname (For example: Jumpluff,Flying) and that type will replace your second type. For single typed mons it will just get added on and not replace it.

Rules/Clauses: One Nicknamed mon per team, Delibird ban, Only can nickname fully evolved mons, Maybe stat boost cap??, You don't need to put the type in the nickname if it's a single typed mon (see marowak example)
It doesn't sound bad, I like the idea, but I wouldn't force a "one mon with the gimmick per team", it seems similar to MnM and CrossEvo and part of their charm is being able to have a whole team using the gimmick, and you wouldn't have to worry about having stuff with very high stats as everyone else has them too, otherwise it would be like having a completely unique M-Rayquaza on terms checks and counters on each team forcing you to use your fusion to check theirs as nothing else would compare, is better if everything is broken. And like MnM, you could allow Ubers and have a restricted list.
The type change kind of worry me, it could be more simple like no change at all or make it only gain secondary and only if the base mon was single type.
And it seems too easy to get stuff with massive HP and defenses, it could need a "no HP gain" like Tier shift, but I'm not sure, need to do some calcs first to check.
Also, there is a quite big Pet Mod with that name, so I would try to find a different one to prevent confusion.

It doesn't sound bad, I like the idea, but I wouldn't force a "one mon with the gimmick per team", it seems similar to MnM and CrossEvo and part of their charm is being able to have a whole team using the gimmick, and you wouldn't have to worry about having stuff with very high stats as everyone else has them too, otherwise it would be like having a completely unique M-Rayquaza on terms checks and counters on each team forcing you to use your fusion to check theirs as nothing else would compare, is better if everything is broken. And like MnM, you could allow Ubers and have a restricted list.
The type change kind of worry me, it could be more simple like no change at all or make it only gain secondary and only if the base mon was single type.
And it seems too easy to get stuff with massive HP and defenses, it could need a "no HP gain" like Tier shift, but I'm not sure, need to do some calcs first to check.
Also, there is a quite big Pet Mod with that name, so I would try to find a different one to prevent confusion.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant you can only inherit a mon once, not that your whole team couldn't inherit (like you could only have one marowak inherit per team)
good ideas, I was thinking of the keep hp rule as well and tbh the only reason I wanted type to be added was so that it wouldn't be just buffed ou, but i guess it could still be pretty diverse
And yeh I forgot to mention the ubers unrestriction
Edit:just realized that if we are gonna get rid of hp changes well need to ban dunsparce

Last edited:
I strongly dislike metagames of this sort. To be clear, ones where you need to pick 6 Pokemon from 6 different categories, whether they be tiers, generations, or colors. They make building more difficult without adding much to the metagame and are simply less fun versions of OU. My response to this meta idea is that it should be a draft league (which no, I am not saying we would host).
Yeah, I've been wondering for a while if Smogon should have a thread for restricted teambuilding challenges. Less like, "you can only use this specific list of Pokémon" like that one Pet Mod or the Draft Arena in Temtem, more like a Theorymon-style thread where there's a slate-prompt every week.

Also, while reading the Partners in Crime thread, I started wondering why there aren't more doubles OMs. I don't have any ideas, though.

Yeah, I've been wondering for a while if Smogon should have a thread for restricted teambuilding challenges. Less like, "you can only use this specific list of Pokémon" like that one Pet Mod or the Draft Arena in Temtem, more like a Theorymon-style thread where there's a slate-prompt every week.

Also, while reading the Partners in Crime thread, I started wondering why there aren't more doubles OMs. I don't have any ideas, though.
There could be more doubles metas, but it’s harder to think of OM ideas that wouldn’t just be [Singles OM] but in Doubles. PiC is a format that can only work in Doubles (technically triples too), but AAA Doubles would just be AAA in Double.

drampa's grandpa

benign auto-cannibal
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Can you explain this a little more in depth? Not criticizing it, just a little confused by how the stats are calculated.

We default to singles, so it tends to be rare unless there's a specific reason for a meta to be set in Doubles. But I agree, more Doubles metas would be cool.

A thread for teambuilding challenges seems like a much better way to tackle the whole limits aspect that many people seem to strive for. I would like that idea come Gen 9, providing we make sure it's done in a way that maintains the competitive nature of our metagames (aka we don't force people to build 5 mon teams with a dead slot or just plain low tire shit or w/e). I had been tossing around the idea of trying to host a regular randpoke roomevent challenge myself, although my irregular work schedule probably makes that a no-go to run by myself.

Can you explain this a little more in depth? Not criticizing it, just a little confused by how the stats are calculated.
No problem, I'll explain it with an example:
Blacephalon-Nickname Indeedee Stats: 46 189 51 197 63 119
So for the HP, Indeedee's HP stat is 60, and Blacephalon's is 53, and since indeedee's HP is higher you would be taking away from blace's HP
So you would do 60-53 to get the difference, and then take away that number from the base stat (53) and so you would be left with 46
For the stats that the base mon has higher of, you would add the difference instead of take away

No problem, I'll explain it with an example:
Blacephalon-Nickname Indeedee Stats: 46 189 51 197 63 119
So for the HP, Indeedee's HP stat is 60, and Blacephalon's is 53, and since indeedee's HP is higher you would be taking away from blace's HP
So you would do 60-53 to get the difference, and then take away that number from the base stat (53) and so you would be left with 46
For the stats that the base mon has higher of, you would add the difference instead of take away
Couldn't you pair it up with like, a Caterpie or smth, and become overpowered?

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
It is supposed to only work with Fully evolved mons, but it may also be a good idea to check on stuff with really low BST, like Luvdisc if it returns in gen 9.
Stuff with normal BST, but extreme stats like Shuckle may not be broken tho, as fusing with it leaves you with no bulk as the difference with most stuff is over 100 in both defenses, so it would be nice to give them a chance.

Frantic Fusions exists on rom and is basically the fusion idea. You nickname a Pokemon. It's primary type is the base Pokemon's primary, and it's secondary is the primary type of the pokemon it is named as, unless it is shiny, in which case the secondary type is thr secondary type of the pokemon it is named as. Stats are averaged between the two, and the Pokemon gains a secondary ability that is the 1st ability of the Pokemon it is named as. Movepools are mostly shared iirc. You get some real op stuff, notably like Raichu-Alola + Tapu Koko and stuff like that. Clefable + bulky mon

It is supposed to only work with Fully evolved mons, but it may also be a good idea to check on stuff with really low BST, like Luvdisc if it returns in gen 9.
Stuff with normal BST, but extreme stats like Shuckle may not be broken tho, as fusing with it leaves you with no bulk as the difference with most stuff is over 100 in both defenses, so it would be nice to give them a chance.
Yes, there is gonna be a large banlist im sure, especially if we keep hp

Frantic Fusions exists on rom and is basically the fusion idea. You nickname a Pokemon. It's primary type is the base Pokemon's primary, and it's secondary is the primary type of the pokemon it is named as, unless it is shiny, in which case the secondary type is thr secondary type of the pokemon it is named as. Stats are averaged between the two, and the Pokemon gains a secondary ability that is the 1st ability of the Pokemon it is named as. Movepools are mostly shared iirc. You get some real op stuff, notably like Raichu-Alola + Tapu Koko and stuff like that. Clefable + bulky mon
Yes, but the stats arent averaged here, there improved

RecycleMons

Metagame Premise:

Single use items like Focus Sash, Weakness Policy, Berries, Herbs, etc. are immediately regained upon consumption.

Potential Bans & Threats:

:power herb::throat spray: Power Herb Meteor Beam and Throat Spray sound based moves let Pokemon like Nihilego and Noivern snowball quickly.

:eject button: Bulky Regenerator users like Toxapex and Tangrowth can use Eject Button to come in on attacks and give teammates free switches.

:sitrus berry: Offensive mons like Blaziken or Azumarill that struggle with longevity can use Sitrus Berry to heal up whenever they drop below 1/2 HP.

:eject pack: Moves like Draco Meteor and V-create that lower the user's stats can essentially be turned into pivot moves with Eject Pack. Dragapult's excellent Speed and Victini's exclusive access to the powerful V-create make them prime users of this strategy.

:starf berry: +6 omniboost at 1/4 HP is comically overpowered and worthy of a quickban. Same applies for Liechi Berry's +6 Atk, Petaya Berry's +6 SpA, and Salac Berry's +6 Spe.

Questions For The Community:

The nature of stat boosting berries (Starf, Liechi, etc.) might cause an infinite loop upon activation. How should this be addressed? The only berries that wouldn't be banned regardless would be Ganlon Berry and Apicot Berry, both of which likely wouldn't have a particularly strong impact, so a ban on all stat boosting berries looks to be a good, harmless solution.

Eject Pack definitely needs to be banned, as it can create endless turns in conjunction with Sticky Web. I'd also keep an eye on Shedinja and FEAR now that they have reusable Focus Sash (and reusable Berry Juice, for Sturdy FEAR).

KaenSoul

Community Leader
RecycleMons

Metagame Premise:

Single use items like Focus Sash, Weakness Policy, Berries, Herbs, etc. are immediately regained upon consumption.

Potential Bans & Threats:

:power herb::throat spray: Power Herb Meteor Beam and Throat Spray sound based moves let Pokemon like Nihilego and Noivern snowball quickly.

:eject button: Bulky Regenerator users like Toxapex and Tangrowth can use Eject Button to come in on attacks and give teammates free switches.

:sitrus berry: Offensive mons like Blaziken or Azumarill that struggle with longevity can use Sitrus Berry to heal up whenever they drop below 1/2 HP.

:eject pack: Moves like Draco Meteor and V-create that lower the user's stats can essentially be turned into pivot moves with Eject Pack. Dragapult's excellent Speed and Victini's exclusive access to the powerful V-create make them prime users of this strategy.

:starf berry: +6 omniboost at 1/4 HP is comically overpowered and worthy of a quickban. Same applies for Liechi Berry's +6 Atk, Petaya Berry's +6 SpA, and Salac Berry's +6 Spe.

Questions For The Community:

The nature of stat boosting berries (Starf, Liechi, etc.) might cause an infinite loop upon activation. How should this be addressed? The only berries that wouldn't be banned regardless would be Ganlon Berry and Apicot Berry, both of which likely wouldn't have a particularly strong impact, so a ban on all stat boosting berries looks to be a good, harmless solution.
It does sound quite hard to balance, as there aren't that many single use items that are both impactful and wouldn't cause an infinite loop somehow, and if you ban too much stuff it may end too similar to standard play.
So what if, instead of immediately, you regain them at the end of the next turn?
Like endless Cud Chew for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)