Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
I had always found it interesting when pokemon from lower tiers made appearances in highers ones, so I felt I would propose a meta game around that. I don't have a good name for it yet, but a team has to be comprised of 1 OU/UUBL, UU/RUBL, RU/NUBL, NU/PUBL, PU/ZUBL, and untiered/NFE/LC mon to form a team of 6. Certain mons would be banned would be powerful OU or UU mons that do not have decent counter play in defensive mons from lower tiers, such as crawdaunt or azumarill. Weather might also need to be restricted or banned because it might possibly have to well built team even with the mon restriction because weather abusers are in every tier. Are there any other idea on how the mon restriction could be altered, say 1 OU, 2 UU, 3 RU, ect? What would be a good name for this metagame?
This is a very common idea, and its usually referred to as Tiermons (go here to see what I’m talking about). Metagames that tend to restrict teambuilding have a low chance of getting approved.

I know that this is a dumb idea but would a "Reverse Tier Shift" (where higher tiers are nerfed, instead of lower being buffed) just kinda be the same thing as Tier Shift? I'm not totally clear on how raw stats scale with the base stat so not I'm not sure if it would be any different than regular Tier Shift.

Last edited:
I know that this is a dumb idea but would a "Reverse Tier Shift" (where higher tiers are nerfed, instead of lower being buffed) just kinda be the same thing as Tier Shift? I'm not totally clear on how raw stats scale with the base stat so not I'm not sure if it would be any different than regular Tier Shift.
even if it would be a similar or better metagame, the idea itself is unappealing. people generally want to play increasing and expanding concepts. nobody would think "omg toxapex has 100 def so hype" in a hypothetical metagame where toxapex loses 50 def.

I thought of reviving a meta that existed in ORAS and USUM, but with an added twist.

Gods and Followers

Welcome to Gods and Followers. In this metagame, you will choose a god from the Ubers tier (or something from OU or lower if you want) to be your god. This god will be the first Pokemon in your party. Everything else on your team must share a type with your god. Example: if Dialga was your god, you could have both Garchomp and Ferrothorn on your team. As a reward for their loyalty, each of the followers on your team is allowed to use 1 move from your god's movepool that they couldn't normally learn. However, if your god faints, as punishment for not protecting their god, your team will be under the effects of Embargo, preventing them from using their held items.

Banlist and Clauses

OU Clauses and banlists (Dracovish and friends would count as your god)
Smeargle cannot be your god

Possible bans
Geomancy on anything but Xerneas
Shell Smash on anything that doesn't learn it naturally
Fishious Rend on anything that doesn't learn it naturally

Q&A

Do I have to lead with my god?

No, you can lead with whatever you like.

Why did you decide to give the followers a move from the god's movepool?

I thought it would spice up the metagame somewhat, and give space to gods that might get overlooked. For example, Mewtwo only gives you Psychic types compared to the likes of Necrozma-DM and Lunala, but it has an absolutely amazing movepool that lots of Pokemon would be happy to dip into.

Why Embargo?

In ORAS Gods and Followers had your team fall under the Cursed effect, which made it virtually impossible to win if your god went down, meaning you'd almost never actually use your god. Embargo is still a strong punishment, especially now that Z crystals and mega stones are gone.

If people would be interested in playing this, I would wait until the Crown Tundra DLC came out to submit it, as that would give us lots more gods to use.
Bump. Would love to hear your thoughts.

WarpedArena:
this metagame that constantly has the effects of all 4 terrains, magic room, trick room and wonder room but those effects can be put onto the battle field doubling the effect other than for magic room because the effect cannot be doubled and for the case of trick room and wonder room the effect will make the stats they change back to normal
Possible bans/threats:
i believe that powerful pokemon that are usually held back by their speed like melmetal or vikavolt a like this set i came up with
Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Flash Cannon
Questions:
how do you think i could improve WarpedArena?
this is my first metagame can you tell me if you think it is a good consept

WarpedArena:
this metagame that constantly has the effects of all 4 terrains, magic room, trick room and wonder room but those effects can be put onto the battle field doubling the effect other than for magic room because the effect cannot be doubled and for the case of trick room and wonder room the effect will make the stats they change back to normal
Possible bans/threats:
i believe that powerful pokemon that are usually held back by their speed like melmetal or vikavolt a like this set i came up with
Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Flash Cannon
Questions:
how do you think i could improve WarpedArena?
this is my first metagame can you tell me if you think it is a good consept
Isn’t it better in most cases to run no item since magic room disables them anyway and you still get acrobatics buff / less knock off damage
(pretty sure that’s how it works anyway)

Pokemon's typings had always interested me and are a key component to pokemon battles, but what if they did exist at all. All the types for moves and pokemon are replaced with the "typeless" type, so there is no weaknesses or resistances, resisted or effective moves, and no immunities. Certain mons would be banned would be powerful mons that were originally held back by thier typing, say diggersby. Certain defensive mons would be completely useless because they lose key resistances that outclass them from other mons, and certain mon reliant on certain types to function would be completely useless, like magnet pull. What other things should be accounted for, should all moves get stab or no stab at all?

Now, let's talk about the metagame:

Hacked tier shift

Premise: every pokemon can have 1 illegality for each tier under OU they are (1 for UU, 2 for RU, 3 for NU, 4 for PU). An illegality is an illegal ability, an illegal move or removal of EV limit (counts as 2 illegalities).
Clauses: OU clauses
Bans: Abilities
Pure power, huge power, contrary, gorilla tactics, moody, regenerator, wonder guard (probably forgot broken abilities)
Moves: fishious rend/bolt beak (maybe v-create)
Pokemons: shedinja

Example of set:
Pikachu
Item: light ball
Ability: simple
EV: all maxed
Moves: Thunder punch, extreme speed, iron tail, dragon dance
Increased bulk help switching in and sweep after dragon dance

Pokemon's typings had always interested me and are a key component to pokemon battles, but what if they did exist at all. All the types for moves and pokemon are replaced with the "typeless" type, so there is no weaknesses or resistances, resisted or effective moves, and no immunities. Certain mons would be banned would be powerful mons that were originally held back by thier typing, say diggersby. Certain defensive mons would be completely useless because they lose key resistances that outclass them from other mons, and certain mon reliant on certain types to function would be completely useless, like magnet pull. What other things should be accounted for, should all moves get stab or no stab at all?
No type= no type to match with moves =no stab, simply.

While the lack of resistances nerfs defensive Pokemon, the lack of weaknesses and STAB buff them. I'm not sure how this meta would play out, but I'd wager it'll lean toward defense.

Hacked tier shift

Premise: every pokemon can have 1 illegality for each tier under OU they are (1 for UU, 2 for RU, 3 for NU, 4 for PU). An illegality is an illegal ability, an illegal move or removal of EV limit (counts as 2 illegalities).
Pure power, huge power, contrary, gorilla tactics, moody, regenerator, wonder guard (probably forgot broken abilities)

Example of set:
Pikachu
I would drop the EV thing. It's not at all similar to move or ability illegalities, and making it cost two is pretty arbitrary.

While the lack of resistances nerfs defensive Pokemon, the lack of weaknesses and STAB buff them. I'm not sure how this meta would play out, but I'd wager it'll lean toward defense.

I would drop the EV thing. It's not at all similar to move or ability illegalities, and making it cost two is pretty arbitrary.
I didn't know how to handle it and some pokemons just lack of stats so might be useful. I know it's arbitrary but counting it as 1 illegality would have been broken.

Hacked tier shift

Example of set:
Pikachu
Regigigas is PU and so not only can it remove it's ability, it can have all stats maxed and still and an extra free move

12v12:

Premise: you can bring 12 pokemon
Clauses: Uber clauses
Bans:wish,magic bounce,unaware,defog,heavy duty boots and regenerator

Last edited:
I didn't know how to handle it and some pokemons just lack of stats so might be useful. I know it's arbitrary but counting it as 1 illegality would have been broken.
I still think tossing it is the best choice. Pokemon who are so bad that they can't even be good with four custom moves and abilities are worth sacrificing for a less arbitrary ruleset.

EDIT: Some sets I thought up.

Tier: UU
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Doublade can use its one illegality to spread burns without fail.

Polteageist @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power

Poleageist's biggest problem is that is has no move to hurt Dark-types. Secret Sword not only provides that and a way to hurt Blissey and Chansey, but it also gives its moves nice alliteration.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse

Boomburst Porygon-Z. Things die.

Tier: RU
Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Punk Rock
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch

With two illegalities, Heliolisk can get both Boomburst and Punk Rock. It still isn't as strong as Porygon-Z, but its higher speed improves its matchup against offensive teams where the extra power is likely overkill.
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 314-370 (92 - 108.5%)

252 SpA Punk Rock Heliolisk Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 263-309 (77.1 - 90.6%)

And that's without Modest or Specs.

Tier: NU
Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Ice Beam

Down in the NU tier, Jolteon gets access to three illegalities. With its decent power and incredible speed, Electric Surge + Rising Voltage can tear through offense and defense alike, and there's still room for anti-Ground coverage.

Tier: (PU)
Wobbuffet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Perish Song
- U-turn

- Encore

Tier: (PU)
Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Perish Song
- U-turn

- Encore / something else idk

These two abuse Imposter. Wobbuffet has more HP and thus is the better traditional Imposter, while Munchlax is a bit bulkier with Eviolite. Since they're usually going to be immediately transforming most of the time, the moves are just there to mess with Substitute users.

Last edited:
Hello guys, I had an idea for a metagame called Spellmons

Premise: The letters of a Pokemon's name, its abilities, and moves add letters to a goal. These will be added simply upon being on the field. A goal is reached once all 26 letters have been achieved. At that point the opposing side will take 50% of their health at the end of the turn. The goal will then reset. What this will allow is another layer of Pokemon battling that hopefully meshes well.

Jellicent (1).png

Jellicent
Ability: Water Absorb
Moves: Hex, Scald, Will-o-Wisp, Recover

Letters added when Jellicent is on the field: a, b, c, d, e, h, i, j, l, n, o, q, r, s, t, v, w, x

quagsire.png

Quagsire
Ability: Damp
Moves: Mega Kick, Infestation, Haze, Icy Wind

Letters added when Quagsire is on the field: a, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, k, m, n, p, q, r, s, t, u, w, y, z

This means the goal is completed by switching Jellicent with Quagsire. On the opposing side 50% health damage will be dealt at the turn's end.

Here's a few examples of complexity this can achieve:

A strategy for example would simply be switching in and out Pokemon to have your counter go up. Whittling the opposing team down as its possible to have the counter achievable with a single switch. A standard of this would be to have mons with unique lettered names and abilities with protect and switch between them to have the letters reach the goal. Then on the turn of the goal, protect or dish out an attack. Keeping in mind the weakness that the opposing Pokemon has would determine whether you dish out an attack to KO the opponent or be on the safe side with protecting and getting chip damage.

An alternative approach would be trying to set up on those with gimmicky teams that aren't strong and responsive to threats. Such as setting up on a mon and plowing through a team inefficient enough to deal with it. If a weaker mon tries to protect or switch then you can have Urshifu who ignores protect with Wicked Blow and has drain punch to restores its health or Kommo-O with clangorous soul and drain punch to sustain and sweep through a team.

Additional strategies include Mean Look, to stop a Pokemon from getting their letters and then switching around or having a Pokemon with finishing letters of a goal that can nuke the opposing side on the turn the other takes 50%,

If the damage output of achieving the goal is wrong in theory then I'm curious to hear. Is it too high or is it too low? Anything outside of a OHKO would be an arbitrary number but I thought 50% would be a transformative enough value. Again this is the idea at its earliest stages so there's a lot that can be changed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Doublade can use its one illegality to spread burns without fail.
why will-o when you can inferno? passes magic bounce and does a little chip.

Hacked tier shift

Example of set:
Pikachu
Here are some abilities you might consider banning- Soul-Heart, Moxie, Speed Boost, Water Bubble, Magic Guard, Pixilate, weather and terrain abilities, Libero, Imposter, Fur Coat, Ice Scales, Intrepid Sword and Triage.

I really like the metagame, I love using low tier mons and this is perfect.

You might also consider type changes for an illegality.

Here’s a submission that I hope will not get sunk into the sea:
:cleffa: :cleffa: Babysitting :happiny: :happiny:
inspired by Lady Monita’s Cloak and Dagger Tournament (and First Blood above)
Metagame Premise: Each team must carry one LC Pokémon, which will be your team’s ‘baby’ that you will have to protect from fainting. The battle is lost once the ‘baby’ has fainted.

Bans and Threats: No general bans. Standard OU Clauses apply. Might add bans for babies that are too hard to kill. (Mareanie Type: Null Corsola-Galar etc)

Explanation: Babysitting is kinda a mix between First Blood and C&D. The former is about getting a kill on any mon, while in the latter a mon is randomly assigned to protect from fainting. Here, you have a significantly worse mon to protect, which might lead to it doing less stuff than the original mon slot. You would have to try to make the most out of the LC mon, such as checking specific threats with a rarer typing + Eviolite, while having longetivity. A good example would be Mareanie over Toxapex, so you somewhat maintain your defensive backbone while having a baby that is relatively hard to kill. At the same time you will have to prepare for opposing fat babies, like Galarsola, Type: Null, etc (somewhat banworthy?) so your team will have to equip with some strong breakers and Knock Off users. Another baby usage is as suicide leads, such as Onix Dewpider Cutiefly etc for setting hazards for offense teams, or specifically offensive babies such as Scyther and Sneasel, whose power is a lot higher than the other babies and can be used as a filler breaker. All in all, I believe that Babysitting is still a diverse and enjoyable meta with a cool twist and power downgrade, and will not lead into a ‘5v5’ meta instead.

FAQ:
Q: Can i bring LC Uber mons as babies?
A: Yes. LC mons refer to all Stage One Pokémon, not necessarily ones in the LC Tier. Even those in higher tiers like Scyther are allowed, at least for now.

Q: What if someone brings two LC mons? Which would be the baby to protect?
A: The one placed in the earlier slot is the baby. The slot order cannot be changed in-battle.

Q: Is Eviolite allowed:
A: Yes. Or else that would make defensive babies nearly useless.

Let me know if you have any comments on the meta!
Why would you put a suicide lc lead? If it is suicide (hazard and nothing else) you lose :/

Pokémart Madness

Metagame Premise: Each player gains access to several items that are normally restricted to in-game use, such as Potions. One item of each type. OU-based meta.

Bans and Threats: Certain items, such as Max Revives, will not be allowed. Standard OU banlist.

Explanation: Despite being relevant to in-game battling, many items are not available in competitive play because they cannot be held. This meta seeks to explore whether including a limited amount of such items could add more intricacy to team building and battle strategies. Each player would have access to a few items, such as a Revive, a Hyper Potion, a Full Heal, a X Attack (or similar), with only one each. Offense builds could cure a status condition that would otherwise cause a loss, balance teams could heal a weakened pivot, and stall could bring back a member that died to a stray crit. Or any of the teams could boost their power to break opponents more easily. Ideally there won’t be too much bias toward any specific playstyle.

FAQ:
Q: What specific items will or will not be allowed?
A: I’ve yet to finalize any decisions, but I support the addition of Revive, Hyper Potion, and Full Heal. Max Revive would be broken and Full Restore probably would be too.

Q: Will multiple items of a lower “tier” be allowed?
A: I’m considering enabling 3 Super Potions rather than 1 Hyper Potion, but for simplicity’s sake it may be easier to limit to 1 item.

Q: Wouldn’t this make games just take longer?
A: That’s certainly possible. On the other hand, the lifespan of wallbreakers could be prolonged and ultimately make games faster. In addition, certain items can increase power, leading to faster games.

Q: Would both players have to use the same item? Or would they choose from a pool of items instead?
A: Currently I’m leaning toward the latter option since I think it would provide more diversity and strategy for the meta. However, if it proves too unbalanced or difficult to implement then the first option would be necessary.

Any suggestions or criticism? Would you be interested in playing this meta?

Had a dumb idea for an OM, but this is me we're talking about, none of the stuff I post (once in a blue moon) is smart. Although fart said he liked it. Not sure why. I couldn't find anything similar to it on the list of OM's or commonly rejected ideas so I think it's fresh but it probably isn't. Also don't judge me for the title. I had this idea at like midnight which is why I'm writing this at like 1:30 A.M. so I'm not exactly in a creative mind set.

Dex Flip
Have you ever thought to yourself, "I really like this typing but damn, those stats are god awful." Well you're in luck! Dex Flip is all about mixing up stats! What do I mean? Well, let me show you. Wait before I do that, I'm not sure if this would be OU NatDex sort of thing, or SwSh OU as the stats wouldn't be similar at all, so if you guys have a suggestion let me know. But from here on out I'm pretending this is OU NatDex to make it easier for me.

Let's take Zeraora, Pokedex #807. It has really good stats like 143 Spe, 112 Atk, and 102 SpA. But in this OM, those aren't it's stats anymore. Instead they'd belong to Seel.

For Pokemon with Multiple forms, i.e. Greninja, Deoxys, Megas, Regional variants, Zen Mode, The 4 Necrozma's etc., Whichever tier has the most forms you would take the average of those. If there are forms in Uber, you'd ignore them.

This is the premise of the OM. Every Pokemon has it's stats swapped with the mon on the opposite side of the dex. So Bulbasaur would get Urshifu's stats, Ivysaur would get Kubfu's stats, Venusaur would get Eter-. Wait a minute, that's not fair at all! Hold on is that... a segway into the next section?

Bans
So for obvious reasons, any Pokemon banned in Ubers would have their dex counter part be banned. So that means...
Bibarel for having Arceus' stats (Imagine Simple or Moody on this thing)
Kricketune for having Darkrai's
Herdier for having Deoxys' stats
Shieldon for having Dialga's stats
Venusaur for having Eternatus' stats
Entei for having Genesect's stats
Budew for having Giratina's stats
Liepard for having Groudon+PGroudon/2 stats
Reshiram is already in Ubers so no change for it or Ho-Oh
Pansage for having Kyogre+PKyogre/2 stats
Zekrom is already in Ubers so no change for it or Lugia
Electrode for having Lunala's stats
Ribombee for having Mewtwo/MMewtwoX/MMewtwoY/2 stats
Muk for having Naganadel's stats
Rampardos for having Palkia's stats
Krabby for having Pheromosa's stats
Purrloin for having Rayquaza+MRayquaza/2 stats
Exeggcute for having Solgaleo's stats
Natu for having Xerneas' stats
Togetic for having Yveltal's stats
Charmeleon for having Zacian+Zacian-C/2 stats
Charmander for having Zamazenta+Zamazenta-C/2 stats
Togepi for having Zygarde+Zygarde-C/2 stats

Watchlist
Not really sure what to watch if it got approved. Maybe Smeargle? We'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Example Sets
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave
Smeargle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Steam Eruption
- Photon Geyser
- Hidden Power (Your Choice)
This thing would have 72/120/67/128/71/127 god. Might need to suspect this if the meta is approved.
Anyways let me know what you think, if you hate it, if im an idiot, if you like it, or hell, don't think. I don't judge. Now I've gotta get going, see ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)