Gen 2 Meganium + Rhydon Balance

1686084373919.png
1686084334445.png
1686084355376.png
1686084391826.png
1686084415104.png
1686084432519.png

I had decent success with this team on the ladder, climbing to 1550 with it.

The inspiration for this team came from reading a thread where someone mentioned that Meganium can function as a solid defensive pokemon with the set Razor Leaf + Reflect + Leech Seed + Synthesis, even functioning as a check to EqLax.

I've always liked Meganium as a pokemon, and I always felt sad at how it got the short end of the stick as a starter pokemon in the gen 2 games. I decided I wanted to try to see if I could create a team based around it, with Meganium functioning as the team's EqLax check.

1686086080483.png

Team Building Process:

The first question to ask was, what type of a team would I build around Meganium. A pure stall team didn't make sense to me, as Skarmory would likely be a sturdier EqLax check on a stall team, and running both Skarmory and Meganium on the same team would defeat the purpose of trying to run Meganium as my EqLax check. A Skarmory + Meganium stall team could probably work, especially in conjunction with Heal Bell support for Meganium, but I just didn't want to bother with this type of team.

Additionally, building an offensive team around Meganium didn't make the most sense to me either. Meganium, it turns out, is generally a wonderful defensive pokemon, usually being able to check/wall 2+ pokemon on the opposing team, often 3+. It has solid 80/100/100 bulk, a respectable speed tier (for a defensive pokemon) of 80, and a nice pure-Grass defensive typing. However, its offense, unless hitting super-effectively, is pitiful, and it can often let low-health pokemon, such as Zapdos, switch in for free and heal up. Also, when building around Meganium, one quickly realizes that it's basically mandatory to run a Normal-resistant phazer alongside it, those being Skarmory, Steelix, Golem, Tyranitar, or Rhydon. Meganium doesn't purely counter or wall Snorlax, but it can delay it, annoy it, and often cause it to Rest or switch out, but Snorlax can simply decide to Curse-up in your face, and in these cases, you need a Normal-resistant phazer alongside Meganium to help out.

Standard offensive teams tend to skimp on defensive Snorlax coverage, and particularly EqCurseLax coverage. These teams typically run one of Steelix, Golem, Tyranitar, or Rhydon, and possibly Gengar, Cloyster, Exeggutor, etc. for some additional support, but they tend to rely on beating down on Snorlax and forcing it to rest, or booming on it. By running Meganium plus a normal-resistant phazer, we are now effectively dedicating an additional slot to defensive Snorlax coverage, which means that we are necessarily sacrificing offensive coverage on our team in order to do this. So, I tentatively decided that some sort of mid-paced, "balanced" team would be the optimal way to build around EqLax-check Meganium.

At this point, I had decided on a core of Meganium + a non-Skarmory Normal-resistant phazer, the question was which would work best alongside Meganium. I'm sure that any of these could work to some extent, but I decided that Rhydon was a good choice. Steelix and Golem are typically running Explosion, and I typically tend to associate these pokemon with fast-paced offensive teams. Boom-Steelix and Boom-Golem would likely get worn-down by Snorlax in the long run (unless it was a mono-lax), and don't offer great offensive coverage outside of booming. This would make these teams riskier and less-reliable in my opinion, as Snorlax may well simply win on the spot if Golem or Steelix boom on the wrong target. Tyranitar or Rhydon running a Curse/Roar/Earthquake/Rock Slide set seemed like ideal partners for Meganium on a balanced team, and Rhydon does this set better than Tyranitar. With this set and paired with Meganium, Rhydon can frequently switch in on a Leech Seeded Snorlax, behind a Reflect, and either Roar it out, or Curse up and start unleashing havoc on the opposing team.
1686086510414.png

With this core decided on, the question now was how to fill out the rest of the team. Rhydon is a pokemon that greatly appreciates paralysis support, and both Meganium and Rhydon greatly appreciate Rapid Spin support. The no-brainer addition to the team was Rapid Spin + Thunder Wave Starmie. This Starmie can often, in the course of a typical game, paralyze key targets such as Zapdos, Raikou, Snorlax, Gengar, and Cloyster for Rhydon, making Rhydon significantly more threatening. The downside is that sometimes Spikes will stay up when running this Starmie set.
1686086880853.png

Now, to round out the remainder of the team, we need Snorlax, (most likely) an electric type, and something else. I decided to run Curse + Eq + Body Slam Lax to support Rhydon as an offensive threat and provide additional paralysis support. Alongside CurseLax, SleepTalk Raikou made sense as the team's special wall and Sleep-Talker. For the last slot, I went with Cloyster. You had better have a pretty damn good reason not to run Spikes, and I couldn't think of a good reason for this team not to. Running Cloyster over Forretress gives the team a bit more of an offensive flair, and Cloyster can function as a solid playmaker with boom and is a reasonable offensive threat, unlike Forretress who slows the pace of the team when run. I tried running Forretress over Cloyster sometimes, and it does help a bit in certain matchups, but in practice it seems to not work as well.
1686087129854.png
1686087139840.png
1686087146157.png

Movesets

1686087567277.png

Meganium
-Razor Leaf
-Reflect
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis

With this set, Meganium can function as your first-line of defense against the mighty Snorlax, and can often switch in on Snorlax over and over throughout the course of a match. In fact, it turns out that Meganium still works very well against Fire-lax, with Flamethrower doing in the low-mid 30's. The general strategy is to switch in on Snorlax, set up a Reflect and then Leech Seed, chip with Razor Leaf, and heal with Synthesis as needed. The Snorlax may switch out in frustration, or perhaps stay in and Curse up. If Snorlax is Cursing up, you will eventually need to switch out, probably to Rhydon, and phaze it out. The beauty of Leech Seeding Snorlax is that Snorlax has such a massive HP pool that Meganium and Rhydon are healing in the range of 16-20% HP from Leech Seed every turn. Behind a Reflect, Rhydon is generally safe from even a Cursed-up EqLax. Also, an important mechanic is that when phazing, Leech Seed activates immediately after the opponent's turn, so you heal before Roaring. The bottom-line is that Meganium often works reasonably well as a Snorlax check; rarely a permanent solution, given its susceptibility to crits, status, and Synthesis' low PP of 8, but often working well in the short-medium term. Body Slam Snorlax is generally a tougher matchup than Double-Edge or Return, given that paraylsis makes you slower and can lead to full-para. However, the paralysis support from the team can often temporarily lead to a paralyzed Snorlax, which evens things out.

Not only can Meganium be your first-line of defense against Snorlax, but it's also one of the best catch-all defensive checks in the entire tier, being able to switch in on just about anything in a pinch. In particular, it can check Ground/Rock types such as Steelix, Golem, Rhydon, Marowak, Quagsire, and Tyranitar. It's arguably the best Marowak check in the game, especially if Marowak is lacking Hidden Power Bug. It's also an excellent Vaporeon check. Reflect helps out against a myriad of physical threats, and it can check Machamp, Nidoking, etc. in a pinch. Reflect + Leech Seed can allow for many advantageous situations over the course of a typical match.

A hidden advantage of running Meganium is the information-asymmetry that results. The more you play Meganium, the more you will learn its limitations and how to squeeze the maximum amount of defensive value out of it. For example, squeezing out recovery via Leftovers and Leech Seed rather than using Synthesis, or setting up Reflects at opportune moments. Most opponents will not be used to facing Meganium and will not always fully grasp the optimal short- or long-term strategy to use to defeat it. Meganium performs best against offensive teams, typically being able to stifle multiple members of a team and slow momentum down with Reflect.

1686086510414.png

Rhydon
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Curse
-Roar

Rhydon serves as the team's phazer, and primary offensive threat alongside Snorlax. Rhydon's offensive prowess is greatly enabled by the paralysis support offered by the team, alongside Meganium's role as the primary Snorlax switch-in. The combination of Meganium + Rhydon can handle most Snorlax sets, including Lovely Kiss Lax (Meganium will eat the Lovely Kiss). Ideally, as mentioned, Rhydon will get in on a Leech Seeded Snorlax behind Reflect, and then unleash its devastating stabs on the paralyzed opponent and batter the opponent down over the course of the match. This generally works better against offensive teams; stall teams, especially those containing Suicune or Starmie, can be tougher to break, but it's still possible. Rhydon tends to like to wait back and not switch in until the right moment, as too much chip damage, paralysis, or burn will pretty much cripple Rhydon in its role as a battering ram for this team.

1686089729715.png

Starmie
-Surf
-Thunder Wave
-Rapid Spin
-Recover

Starmie greatly complements the Meganium + Rhydon core with both Rapid Spin and paralysis support. Rapid Spin is far from guaranteed if the opponent is packing a Ghost type, or is running a slow, methodical stall team, so it can often be crucial to predict the switch to Gengar and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Thunder Waving Cloyster is also greatly helpful to Rhydon. Starmie is also an important defensive member of the team, providing back-up support against Ground types and other random offensive threats, and being the only true Machamp check on the team.

1686089992666.png

Snorlax
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Curse
-Rest

Curse + Eq + Body Slam Lax gives the team a more offensive flair than Sleep Talk Lax would, which is important, because this team is meant to be a mid-paced "balance" team, not excelling at pure stall, needing a bit of offensive support. Body Slam is great to support Rhydon, particularly against the typically Normal-Resistant Snorlax switch-ins. Earthquake over Flamethrower is greatly appreciated against offense, but Flamethrower could easily be used over Earthquake if you expect your opponent to run stall (this would likely improve your matchup).

1686090173445.png

Raikou
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Sleep Talk
-Rest

Not much needs to be said about Raikou. I run it over Zapdos alongside CurseLax for a more sturdy special wall. Thunder > Thunderbolt for paralysis support and to keep more pressure on Snorlax. The biggest downside of running Raikou over Zapdos for this team is the lack of a Flying type on the team, and the massive Heracross weakness that creates for this team, in addition to making the team weaker against Machamp and Nidoking. Curse Heracross is almost impossible to play around for this team, but I still think this team as constructed works better than it would with a Zapdos outside of that one specific matchup.

1686090391736.png

Cloyster
-Surf
-Spikes
-Toxic
-Explosion

Cloyster is just too damn good not to run. Spikes are very nice for this team, as Meganium can force switches with Leech Seed, Rhydon greatly benefits, etc. I haven't played around with Cloyster's moveset, but this seems best overall. Explosion can be a key move to break a hole in the opponent's defenses. Forretress can be used in this slot, and that will slightly improve your matchup against Heracross, Nidoking, Exegutor, etc., and can help in certain stall matchups, but I've found that Cloyster usually works better in practice. Running Forretress makes this more of a stall team, and can lead to ties, draws, and excruciating, drawn-out switch fests against other stall teams.

Summary
This team probably works better on the ladder than it would in a tournament environment. It excels against many offensive teams, as well as Baton Pass teams, both of which are extremely common on the ladder. It also thrives off the opponent's lack of understanding of what Meganium does. It's not as great against certain stall teams, but slight adjustments could be made to the team (run FireLax and/or Forretress) to improve these matchups. The team also has a massive Heracross problem that is hard to play around, but Heracross is uncommon. It can also suffer from Meganium's passivity at times, and Meganium can kill momentum at times. The team also could be viewed as a bit of a matchup fish, as its defensive coverage is skewed, having 2 Water types and a Grass type. It can in particular sometimes be susceptible to a targeted boom on Raikou, but this can still usually be overcome.

Despite its flaws, this team is very viable into some matchups, and in these, you can giggle with delight as you send in the underappreciated Meganium to stifle their Snorlax and wall half of their team, slowly wear them down with paralysis, and unleash the underused and badass Rhydon and rip their team apart.
1686087567277.png
1686086510414.png

Last edited:
overall very nice team, meganium in gsc ou is a very cool poke.

I honestly think this team could work with zapdos over raikou. Sure, you become much more vulnerable to zapdos and jynx but meganium doesn't take much from zapdos's hits and its leech seed lets non rtalk lax check it more easily while you can bait the lovely kiss onto zapdos and check it with starmie.

Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. Meganium: 120-142 (33 - 39.1%) -- 10.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Although relying on meganium to check both zapdos and lax over the course of the game might not work out super well, especially with Thunder paras so it may just be better to stick with raikou and accept the poor heracross and, to a lesser degree, machamp matchups. maybe reflect forretress and a fire coverage move on lax can make you less awful into heracross

This team is awesome. It gave me such a headache every time I came up against you when messing around on ladder.

One optional change would be to add crunch onto Raikous. Crunch is most useful for helping against sub-Jynx, but also helps out against Eggy, Gar, Espeon, and opposing Kou. This team already has a bulk grass and two waters, but is a bit vulnerable if your special wall goes down. Since both Starmie and Meganium have access to instant recovery, I imagine they can shake off an earthquake or two better than this team could handle harassment from Zapdos and Jynx should Raikous fall. Alternatively, Lax could be made into an all purpose special wall and sleep absorber, which would likely help a bit against Nidoking and would free you up to run Zap, providing a bit more protection against Heracross and grounds.

Last edited:

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Nice team, very interesting build. It is funny that Meganium is maligned as the worst Gen 2 starter in modern times when it is the most viable of the trio in its debut generation. Unfortunately "most viable" doesn't necessarily mean great, Meganium comes with quiet a few teambuilding difficulties. It is interesting to see how your team has tackled these challenges and what matchups it has chosen to ignore.

In your post you recognize your team's vulnerability Nidoking and Machamp, as well as your borderline unplayable Heracross matchup. You also can see the team's less than stellar matchup against stall. (As an aside I do not think FireLax would improve this team's stall matchup, you need actually Earthquake Lax to force in and paralyze Skarmory to have any hope of winning with Rhydon) Its perfectly fine to take these matchup gambles if you just want to play on ladder, but I will offer up some options to make this team structure more consistent overall.

Meganium is stuck in a strange limbo with the types of teams its niche fits on. It doesn't have the longevity to hang with dedicated stall teams, but also lacks the punch to be a key player on offense. This encourage Meganium to play a supporting role to its more offensive teammates on what modern players might call a "balance" team. This is certainly something you have picked up on. "Balance" teams have historically struggled in GSC, not being able to outlast true stall or keep up with full offense. Since you and I both agree that Meganium isn't suited for a pure stall team, I offer two routes this team can take; one much more offense, and a second that retains some of its original "balance" identity. Both teams will try to play a little faster and provide you with more tools to win the game before Meganium expires.

(click on sprites for the pokepaste link)
:gs/zapdos::gs/meganium::gs/rhydon::gs/snorlax::gs/cloyster::gs/houndoom:

This is the team I immediately thought of when I saw your build, but I was hesitant to present as my own feedback as these 6 have seen tournament usage since Smogon Tour 2 in 2006. (source: M Dragon's GSC Teams through the ages post) Nevertheless, I think you should be aware of this build and how it addresses some of the weaknesses present in your team.
First and foremost: the substitution of Zapdos > Raikou. You cite using Raikou to give your team a sturdier special wall, which Raikou does. However, it hardly seems worth it for all the drawbacks vs Machamp, Nidoking, and especially Heracross. Zapdos helps solve these problems and with some creative teambuilding you can still comfortably cover GSC's special attackers. Meganium + Snorlax share responsibilities to check electric types while Rhydon dissuades the opponent from clicking Thunder every turn. Meganium + Zapdos easily handle Vaporeon and other waters. Houndoom improves your matchup against Gengar, Exeggutor, Jynx, Espeon, and Alakazam. That covers everything until you get to Moltres, which is a little rougher but can be managed by Lax + Rhydon + emergency Houndoom.
Speaking of Houndoom, it takes the place of Starmie on your team. Every team appreciates Spikes removal, but none of your team members absolutely require it. Combining the passive Meganium + passive Starmie is also less than desirable. As mentioned above, Houndoom is included to help the team defensively against Ghost and Psychic types while supporting Mono attacking Snorlax with Pursuit. Since Gengar, Exeggutor, and Jynx frequently carry sleep moves the raw Sleep Talk lets Houndoom act as a status absorber that can threaten these mons when asleep while hardly taking damage in return.
The last change from your original team is Lovely Kiss > Earthquake on Snorlax. Earthquake Lax can still work and with Pursuit support Mono attacking Sleep Talk Lax is viable, but Lovely Kiss monoLax takes better advantage of the support provided by Houdoom and Meganium.
This team retains your idea of using Meganium so support Rhydon and non Sleep Talk Snorlax, but instead of trying to be safer with Raikou it leans offensive to best utilize the support Meganium offers before it inevitably gets worn down. The build can still struggle a little against stall as it is more common nowadays to have a good answer to Lovely Kiss Lax, but you still have a fighting chance with Rhydon + LK Lax + Houndoom + Cloy Spikes and boom.

(click on sprites for the pokepaste link)
:gs/zapdos::gs/meganium::gs/rhydon::gs/snorlax::gs/forretress::gs/quagsire:
Now for some changes of my own creation that more closely follows your original vision of "balance." It retains your OG core and movesets on Meganium, Rhydon, and Snorlax, but makes replacements elsewhere to improve the team's defensive abilities and increase its offensive potency.
Zapdos replaces Raikou for the same reasons mentioned above. It defensively pairs better than Raikou with Meganium and improves the team's offensive abilities.
Since this team is trying to play more balanced than the Houndoom offense above, its inadvisable to have only Meganium and non Sleep Talk Snorlax as electric checks. You really want to use non-Talk Lax to take advantage of Meganium's support, so I included Belly Drum Quagsire as the team's primary electric counter. Along with checking the electrics, Quagsire performs well against Gengar and gives the team another offensive weapon in its arsenal.
Forretress replaces Cloyster on this team mainly for Jynx and to a lesser extent, Exeggutor. This is an unfortunate sacrifice in the name of Meganium teambuilding. Since Meganium teams want Zapdos > Raikou and don't want Sleep Talk Snorlax, this leaves very limited options to check Jynx. While Forretress does not want to absorb Jynx's Lovely Kiss, it can square up if push comes to shove. I can perform similarly against non HP Fire Exeggutor. Without Forre the only Zapdos can face off against Eggy which is undesirable since opponents typically use Exeggutor specifically to target Zapdos with Explosion. If the opponent has a Vaporeon in the back, this might not be a big deal wehn you have Meganium. But if there's a Heracross in the back you will appreciate Forre giving you some flexibility vs Eggy. While Forretress undoubtedly makes some sacrifices offensively compared to Cloyster, it is a necessary evil for the team to remain mostly defensively sound. It packs a similar moveset and utility to your Closyter with Spikes/Toxic/Explosion. I prefer HP Fire in the last slot to prevent other Forretress from having a free switch in.
Overall this team plays at a similar pace to your original team and tries to overwhelm the opponent's physical walls with Snorlax paralysis paving the way for Ground + Rock attacks from Rhydon and Quagsire. It may be a little more challenging overall to play than your original team, but retains the same core concept and fixes some of the most glaring defensive shortcomings and poor matchups.

Meganium has a lot of history behind it and I'm pleased to see you've picked up on some of the same ideas as this tier's pioneers. Good job with the team building and I hope my feedback has been useful. I look forward to see what else you can explore in GSC's rich metagame.

View attachment 523658View attachment 523656View attachment 523657View attachment 523659View attachment 523660View attachment 523661

I had decent success with this team on the ladder, climbing to 1550 with it.

The inspiration for this team came from reading a thread where someone mentioned that Meganium can function as a solid defensive pokemon with the set Razor Leaf + Reflect + Leech Seed + Synthesis, even functioning as a check to EqLax.

I've always liked Meganium as a pokemon, and I always felt sad at how it got the short end of the stick as a starter pokemon in the gen 2 games. I decided I wanted to try to see if I could create a team based around it, with Meganium functioning as the team's EqLax check.

View attachment 523667
Team Building Process:

The first question to ask was, what type of a team would I build around Meganium. A pure stall team didn't make sense to me, as Skarmory would likely be a sturdier EqLax check on a stall team, and running both Skarmory and Meganium on the same team would defeat the purpose of trying to run Meganium as my EqLax check. A Skarmory + Meganium stall team could probably work, especially in conjunction with Heal Bell support for Meganium, but I just didn't want to bother with this type of team.

Additionally, building an offensive team around Meganium didn't make the most sense to me either. Meganium, it turns out, is generally a wonderful defensive pokemon, usually being able to check/wall 2+ pokemon on the opposing team, often 3+. It has solid 80/100/100 bulk, a respectable speed tier (for a defensive pokemon) of 80, and a nice pure-Grass defensive typing. However, its offense, unless hitting super-effectively, is pitiful, and it can often let low-health pokemon, such as Zapdos, switch in for free and heal up. Also, when building around Meganium, one quickly realizes that it's basically mandatory to run a Normal-resistant phazer alongside it, those being Skarmory, Steelix, Golem, Tyranitar, or Rhydon. Meganium doesn't purely counter or wall Snorlax, but it can delay it, annoy it, and often cause it to Rest or switch out, but Snorlax can simply decide to Curse-up in your face, and in these cases, you need a Normal-resistant phazer alongside Meganium to help out.

Standard offensive teams tend to skimp on defensive Snorlax coverage, and particularly EqCurseLax coverage. These teams typically run one of Steelix, Golem, Tyranitar, or Rhydon, and possibly Gengar, Cloyster, Exeggutor, etc. for some additional support, but they tend to rely on beating down on Snorlax and forcing it to rest, or booming on it. By running Meganium plus a normal-resistant phazer, we are now effectively dedicating an additional slot to defensive Snorlax coverage, which means that we are necessarily sacrificing offensive coverage on our team in order to do this. So, I tentatively decided that some sort of mid-paced, "balanced" team would be the optimal way to build around EqLax-check Meganium.

At this point, I had decided on a core of Meganium + a non-Skarmory Normal-resistant phazer, the question was which would work best alongside Meganium. I'm sure that any of these could work to some extent, but I decided that Rhydon was a good choice. Steelix and Golem are typically running Explosion, and I typically tend to associate these pokemon with fast-paced offensive teams. Boom-Steelix and Boom-Golem would likely get worn-down by Snorlax in the long run (unless it was a mono-lax), and don't offer great offensive coverage outside of booming. This would make these teams riskier and less-reliable in my opinion, as Snorlax may well simply win on the spot if Golem or Steelix boom on the wrong target. Tyranitar or Rhydon running a Curse/Roar/Earthquake/Rock Slide set seemed like ideal partners for Meganium on a balanced team, and Rhydon does this set better than Tyranitar. With this set and paired with Meganium, Rhydon can frequently switch in on a Leech Seeded Snorlax, behind a Reflect, and either Roar it out, or Curse up and start unleashing havoc on the opposing team.
View attachment 523669
With this core decided on, the question now was how to fill out the rest of the team. Rhydon is a pokemon that greatly appreciates paralysis support, and both Meganium and Rhydon greatly appreciate Rapid Spin support. The no-brainer addition to the team was Rapid Spin + Thunder Wave Starmie. This Starmie can often, in the course of a typical game, paralyze key targets such as Zapdos, Raikou, Snorlax, Gengar, and Cloyster for Rhydon, making Rhydon significantly more threatening. The downside is that sometimes Spikes will stay up when running this Starmie set.
View attachment 523670
Now, to round out the remainder of the team, we need Snorlax, (most likely) an electric type, and something else. I decided to run Curse + Eq + Body Slam Lax to support Rhydon as an offensive threat and provide additional paralysis support. Alongside CurseLax, SleepTalk Raikou made sense as the team's special wall and Sleep-Talker. For the last slot, I went with Cloyster. You had better have a pretty damn good reason not to run Spikes, and I couldn't think of a good reason for this team not to. Running Cloyster over Forretress gives the team a bit more of an offensive flair, and Cloyster can function as a solid playmaker with boom and is a reasonable offensive threat, unlike Forretress who slows the pace of the team when run. I tried running Forretress over Cloyster sometimes, and it does help a bit in certain matchups, but in practice it seems to not work as well.
View attachment 523673View attachment 523674View attachment 523675
Movesets

View attachment 523682
Meganium
-Razor Leaf
-Reflect
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis

With this set, Meganium can function as your first-line of defense against the mighty Snorlax, and can often switch in on Snorlax over and over throughout the course of a match. In fact, it turns out that Meganium still works very well against Fire-lax, with Flamethrower doing in the low-mid 30's. The general strategy is to switch in on Snorlax, set up a Reflect and then Leech Seed, chip with Razor Leaf, and heal with Synthesis as needed. The Snorlax may switch out in frustration, or perhaps stay in and Curse up. If Snorlax is Cursing up, you will eventually need to switch out, probably to Rhydon, and phaze it out. The beauty of Leech Seeding Snorlax is that Snorlax has such a massive HP pool that Meganium and Rhydon are healing in the range of 16-20% HP from Leech Seed every turn. Behind a Reflect, Rhydon is generally safe from even a Cursed-up EqLax. Also, an important mechanic is that when phazing, Leech Seed activates immediately after the opponent's turn, so you heal before Roaring. The bottom-line is that Meganium often works reasonably well as a Snorlax check; rarely a permanent solution, given its susceptibility to crits, status, and Synthesis' low PP of 8, but often working well in the short-medium term. Body Slam Snorlax is generally a tougher matchup than Double-Edge or Return, given that paraylsis makes you slower and can lead to full-para. However, the paralysis support from the team can often temporarily lead to a paralyzed Snorlax, which evens things out.

Not only can Meganium be your first-line of defense against Snorlax, but it's also one of the best catch-all defensive checks in the entire tier, being able to switch in on just about anything in a pinch. In particular, it can check Ground/Rock types such as Steelix, Golem, Rhydon, Marowak, Quagsire, and Tyranitar. It's arguably the best Marowak check in the game, especially if Marowak is lacking Hidden Power Bug. It's also an excellent Vaporeon check. Reflect helps out against a myriad of physical threats, and it can check Machamp, Nidoking, etc. in a pinch. Reflect + Leech Seed can allow for many advantageous situations over the course of a typical match.

A hidden advantage of running Meganium is the information-asymmetry that results. The more you play Meganium, the more you will learn its limitations and how to squeeze the maximum amount of defensive value out of it. For example, squeezing out recovery via Leftovers and Leech Seed rather than using Synthesis, or setting up Reflects at opportune moments. Most opponents will not be used to facing Meganium and will not always fully grasp the optimal short- or long-term strategy to use to defeat it. Meganium performs best against offensive teams, typically being able to stifle multiple members of a team and slow momentum down with Reflect.

View attachment 523669
Rhydon
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Curse
-Roar

Rhydon serves as the team's phazer, and primary offensive threat alongside Snorlax. Rhydon's offensive prowess is greatly enabled by the paralysis support offered by the team, alongside Meganium's role as the primary Snorlax switch-in. The combination of Meganium + Rhydon can handle most Snorlax sets, including Lovely Kiss Lax (Meganium will eat the Lovely Kiss). Ideally, as mentioned, Rhydon will get in on a Leech Seeded Snorlax behind Reflect, and then unleash its devastating stabs on the paralyzed opponent and batter the opponent down over the course of the match. This generally works better against offensive teams; stall teams, especially those containing Suicune or Starmie, can be tougher to break, but it's still possible. Rhydon tends to like to wait back and not switch in until the right moment, as too much chip damage, paralysis, or burn will pretty much cripple Rhydon in its role as a battering ram for this team.

View attachment 523689
Starmie
-Surf
-Thunder Wave
-Rapid Spin
-Recover

Starmie greatly complements the Meganium + Rhydon core with both Rapid Spin and paralysis support. Rapid Spin is far from guaranteed if the opponent is packing a Ghost type, or is running a slow, methodical stall team, so it can often be crucial to predict the switch to Gengar and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Thunder Waving Cloyster is also greatly helpful to Rhydon. Starmie is also an important defensive member of the team, providing back-up support against Ground types and other random offensive threats, and being the only true Machamp check on the team.

View attachment 523691
Snorlax
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Curse
-Rest

Curse + Eq + Body Slam Lax gives the team a more offensive flair than Sleep Talk Lax would, which is important, because this team is meant to be a mid-paced "balance" team, not excelling at pure stall, needing a bit of offensive support. Body Slam is great to support Rhydon, particularly against the typically Normal-Resistant Snorlax switch-ins. Earthquake over Flamethrower is greatly appreciated against offense, but Flamethrower could easily be used over Earthquake if you expect your opponent to run stall (this would likely improve your matchup).

View attachment 523692
Raikou
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Sleep Talk
-Rest

Not much needs to be said about Raikou. I run it over Zapdos alongside CurseLax for a more sturdy special wall. Thunder > Thunderbolt for paralysis support and to keep more pressure on Snorlax. The biggest downside of running Raikou over Zapdos for this team is the lack of a Flying type on the team, and the massive Heracross weakness that creates for this team, in addition to making the team weaker against Machamp and Nidoking. Curse Heracross is almost impossible to play around for this team, but I still think this team as constructed works better than it would with a Zapdos outside of that one specific matchup.

View attachment 523693
Cloyster
-Surf
-Spikes
-Toxic
-Explosion

Cloyster is just too damn good not to run. Spikes are very nice for this team, as Meganium can force switches with Leech Seed, Rhydon greatly benefits, etc. I haven't played around with Cloyster's moveset, but this seems best overall. Explosion can be a key move to break a hole in the opponent's defenses. Forretress can be used in this slot, and that will slightly improve your matchup against Heracross, Nidoking, Exegutor, etc., and can help in certain stall matchups, but I've found that Cloyster usually works better in practice. Running Forretress makes this more of a stall team, and can lead to ties, draws, and excruciating, drawn-out switch fests against other stall teams.

Summary
This team probably works better on the ladder than it would in a tournament environment. It excels against many offensive teams, as well as Baton Pass teams, both of which are extremely common on the ladder. It also thrives off the opponent's lack of understanding of what Meganium does. It's not as great against certain stall teams, but slight adjustments could be made to the team (run FireLax and/or Forretress) to improve these matchups. The team also has a massive Heracross problem that is hard to play around, but Heracross is uncommon. It can also suffer from Meganium's passivity at times, and Meganium can kill momentum at times. The team also could be viewed as a bit of a matchup fish, as its defensive coverage is skewed, having 2 Water types and a Grass type. It can in particular sometimes be susceptible to a targeted boom on Raikou, but this can still usually be overcome.

Despite its flaws, this team is very viable into some matchups, and in these, you can giggle with delight as you send in the underappreciated Meganium to stifle their Snorlax and wall half of their team, slowly wear them down with paralysis, and unleash the underused and badass Rhydon and rip their team apart.
View attachment 523682View attachment 523669
I like this a lot honestly. Gengar’s annoying tho it seems, but it always is ig

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)