ORAS OU Mega-Venusaur Bulky Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got tutored in Battling 101 in round 92. My most comfortable style is Hyper Offense in any of the tiers I've played so far (LC, UU, OU). I decided to try new stuff. I will never play stall unless I get paid for and I'm bored of playing HO as well.

Teambuilding process:

1- Mega Venusaur: I was trying to decide which mega to get for a bulky offense team. The very first thing I did was to ask in Showdown OU Chatroom. Most people suggested Mega Scizor, few people suggested Mega Aggron, one people told me to use if I'm real. I was wandering among megas and I saw that this particular mega had the best ability possible for a bulky offense type of thing: Thick Fat.

2- Tyranitar: I needed a hazard setting, hard hitting all around bulky mon who covers Mega Venusaur's weaknesses, so I went for this big guy. I went full bulky with Relaxed Nature (just to avoid that - on SpAtk). I carry ice beam on this stud for Gliscor leads, Garchomp leads, Landorus-T leads and stuff. Rest of the moves are Stealth Rock, Crunch and Earthquake.

3- Gyarados: Tyranitar has a few weaknesses of his own: Grass, Water, Fighting, Ground, Steel, Fairy and such. Mega Venusaur resists Fairy and Grass, Gyarados resists or is immune to the remainder. SubDD Gyarados completes my bulky offensive core.

4- Dragonite: I fail to understand why this dude isn't in every single team in OU. He's bulky AF, hits like a monster truck and has real good coverage along with one of the best abilities in the game: Multiscale. I use CB variant of this walking and smiling monster. ExtremeSpeed, Outrage, Fire Punch and Earthquake. Fucking master killer. Stops sweeps, gets multiple kills and even sweeps teams himself (there are multiple occasions where this abomination swept 1v5). Just punch this dude into your teams and let him go rampant.

5- Starmie: Right now, I'm having a huge problem with the fact that Gyarados and Dragonite both have Stealth Rock weakness. I need something to remove rocks. I picked Reflect Type Starmie for that. Probably not the best choice though. I'm having doubts on this guy.

6- Clefable: I originally had Magma Storm Heatran instead of this for stallbreaking purposes but I had nothing to stop a mega sableye to save my life so I changed the Heatran into this dude. This thing breaks stall all by itself. I'm using unaware+calm mind set, just for the destruction of the flagship of stall: Mega Sableye.

LOCHNESS SHIT (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

I KNOW RIGHT (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

TRY GARDENING (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

PARDON MY URGE TO KILL(Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

TYPE OF NIGGA (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

I DON'T EVEN (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

I don't really see how Starmie works on a bulky team. Try something else more bulky. Some options like Skarmory and Excadrill would work well in the Sand from T-tar. Also, put 24 Speed EVs on Mega Venusaur, not 20 on speed and 4 on Special Defense.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So just off the top I'd really suggest running Leech Seed on your Venusaur because Tyranitar's Sand Stream interferes with Synthesis recovery. I'd also run max speed on Starmie just because you don't want to always lose to base 115s if it ever comes to that.

Given that you are running Reflect Type on Starmie, Venusaur becomes your go-to Keldeo counter and it can get worn down easily with Scalds and Sand damage, so I think that putting Heal Bell on your Clefable over Calm Mind would really benefit the team. Plus you're a bit weak to Specially Defensive Talonflame (wisps ttar on the switch in) so this would alleviate that problem somewhat as well.

Tornadus-Therian is also quite a big threat to your team, so I would actually consider running Thunder Wave on one of your pokemon to slow it down and make it easier to deal with.

Hope this helps!

Nice team!

First off, I would agree that your team does suffer a bit of over reliance on Mega-Venu as a Keldeo check, and I would say that Mega-Venu is your only Fairy-Type check as well. I'm going to make two(ish) suggestions that could help alleviate some of the pressure on Mega-Venusaur.

The first suggestion would be to replace CB Dragonite with CB Scizor. Now, this change wouldn't necessarily help with the Keldeo problem, but it would alleviate some of the pressure from Fairy-Types in general and your team's stealth rock weakness to an extent. Plus wish/heal bell support from Clef is extremely beneficial to CB Scizor, and Scizor's immunity to poison and resistance to steel helps Clefable. The set would be Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower, and Knock Off/Pursuit. Pursuit is a great option as it lets Scizor trap the Latis and some other psychics. U-Turn is also a great move for grabbing momentum, which is really helpful for bulky offense teams. I suppose you could also use SD Scizor w/ Defog to free up your hazard cleaner slot.

The second suggestion is to replace Starmie with Tentacruel. Tentacruel's 80/65/120 bulk is fairly comparable to Starmie's 60/85/85 bulk, though Tentacruel does miss out on reliable recovery. Tentacruel is also quite a bit slower at 100 base speed compared to Starmie's 115, and Tentacruel's special attack is also twenty points lower. Finally though Cruel is immune to poison, it really wishes it had a useful ability like Starmie's. Still, I think Cruel would be a good fit for this team because it can help with fairies and Keldeo alike. Rapid Spin and Scald are mandatory, but Cruel has some interesting options for the last couple slots, like Haze to check some set-up sweepers, which could allow you to opt for Magic Guard on Clefable so it can act as a status absorber. Some other interesting options include Toxic Spikes, Knock Off, Sludge Bomb, hell, it even gets Reflect type like Starmie. Cruel's typing and higher special defense helps it function as a fairy check, though a lot of fairies like to run ground type coverage. It would expose your team to the Latis and other psychics a bit more, but this could be remedied with CB Scizor as above or by giving Tyranitar Pursuit. For similar reasons in functioning as a general fairy type check and hazard remover, Empoleon may also be an option in place of Starmie/Tentacruel.

I hope I was able to be at least somewhat helpful. Good luck!

Nice team!

First off, I would agree that your team does suffer a bit of over reliance on Mega-Venu as a Keldeo check, and I would say that Mega-Venu is your only Fairy-Type check as well. I'm going to make two(ish) suggestions that could help alleviate some of the pressure on Mega-Venusaur.

The first suggestion would be to replace CB Dragonite with CB Scizor. Now, this change wouldn't necessarily help with the Keldeo problem, but it would alleviate some of the pressure from Fairy-Types in general and your team's stealth rock weakness to an extent. Plus wish/heal bell support from Clef is extremely beneficial to CB Scizor, and Scizor's immunity to poison and resistance to steel helps Clefable. The set would be Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower, and Knock Off/Pursuit. Pursuit is a great option as it lets Scizor trap the Latis and some other psychics. U-Turn is also a great move for grabbing momentum, which is really helpful for bulky offense teams. I suppose you could also use SD Scizor w/ Defog to free up your hazard cleaner slot.

The second suggestion is to replace Starmie with Tentacruel. Tentacruel's 80/65/120 bulk is fairly comparable to Starmie's 60/85/85 bulk, though Tentacruel does miss out on reliable recovery. Tentacruel is also quite a bit slower at 100 base speed compared to Starmie's 115, and Tentacruel's special attack is also twenty points lower. Finally though Cruel is immune to poison, it really wishes it had a useful ability like Starmie's. Still, I think Cruel would be a good fit for this team because it can help with fairies and Keldeo alike. Rapid Spin and Scald are mandatory, but Cruel has some interesting options for the last couple slots, like Haze to check some set-up sweepers, which could allow you to opt for Magic Guard on Clefable so it can act as a status absorber. Some other interesting options include Toxic Spikes, Knock Off, Sludge Bomb, hell, it even gets Reflect type like Starmie. Cruel's typing and higher special defense helps it function as a fairy check, though a lot of fairies like to run ground type coverage. It would expose your team to the Latis and other psychics a bit more, but this could be remedied with CB Scizor as above or by giving Tyranitar Pursuit. For similar reasons in functioning as a general fairy type check and hazard remover, Empoleon may also be an option in place of Starmie/Tentacruel.

I hope I was able to be at least somewhat helpful. Good luck!
Tentacruel has a lot more power in its bulk. Don't compare the speed and special attack when the set he would use is something like Toxic or Toxic Spikes, Scald, Substitute and Slude Bomb, or something.

Tentacruel has a lot more power in its bulk. Don't compare the speed and special attack when the set he would use is something like Toxic or Toxic Spikes, Scald, Substitute and Slude Bomb, or something.
Mentioning the difference in speed/special attack is important to fully address the difference between my suggestion and the current team, especially when you consider that one of the biggest draws of using Starmie as a spinner is its speed. Also, substitute is practically useless on Tentacruel, js. The best set would probably be something like Scald, Rapid Spin, Acid Spray/Haze, Toxic/Sludge Bomb.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey, unfortunately your thread is not following the RMT rules. Your problem is with your format. I'm going to have to lock this thread but feel free to pm me with your changes so I can unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)