ORAS OU Mega Pinsir Offense

Mega Pinsir Offense

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Hey guys, this is the first team I've ever put on here, but I've been playing and making teams for quite a while. Basically I felt like playing around with Mega Pinsir, and made a team to really help support him. I'm sure this team is relatively standard, but it's the first team I've made in awhile and I'd love some feedback!

The Team

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

The main sweeper on the team. Pinsir is an extremely slept on threat who can easily sweep unprepared teams. He provides useful priority, is in a nice speed tier, and is generally just great at wallbreaking and sweeping.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone is one of our pivots and a trapper for Pinsir. Pinsir has trouble with a few steels, namely Skarmory, and Magnezone is perfect at eliminating them. He's also a great cleaner and revenge killer with choice scarf. Zone is used for wearing down the enemy team early game, and cleaning up late.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Landorus is our second pivot. Landorus forms a nice volt-turn core with Magnezone and helps with checking a lot of physical attackers. Yache Berry helps him check things like Ice Beam Tyranitar leads, and Weavile, which the team is otherwise fairly weak to. A great panic option, he's a core member of the team. I chose stone edge over knock off here. Although having the spammable move is great, stone edge is key in helping Landorus check the threats that this team struggles with, namely flying spam.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Latios is the obligatory defogger on the team. Pinsir is 4x weak to hazards after mega evolving, so choosing a consistent defogger was necessary. Latios checks things like Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y as well. He also has very spammable moves, which you may notice being a trend on the team. After a draco meteor or psyshock and hazard damage, things like Heatran are sufficiently weakened for Pinsir to clean up with ease.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is here to help balance the team out a bit. She can tank hits, soak up status, break stall, and even sweep. Since we already have a stealth rocker, I'm using the calm mind set. I've been loving using thunder wave on this particular set, since we already have a trapper for steels and thunder wave benefits this team a ton, as it's a bit slower. Flamethrower is still a good option to help break teams a bit for Pinsir, and I go back and forth on the options a lot.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

Manaphy is the secondary wallbreaker and special sweeper on the team. Having something that can spam scald is so important, and Manaphy is one of the best at doing so. I chose the rain dance set to help deal with stall, and energy ball is chosen so we have some grass coverage on the team. We're quite weak to Azumarill, so Manaphy is our last ditch effort at checking it (although you definitely don't want to be switching in carelessly).

Team Weaknesses

This team, like every team, isn't perfect. I've played quite a few games with it, and I have noticed a few weaknesses. Azumarill is one, particularly Choice Band variants. Nothing really switches in, and your main way of dealing with it is sacrificing Manaphy or Magnezone. Hoopa does quite a number on the team, but most balance teams have issues with it. Landorus definitely helps, but again, not much can switch it. Electric types are a little rough, particularly Nasty Plot Thundurus, although if Landorus-T has his yache berry up, he can check it with stone edge.

Conclusion

This team is really fun to play and has some of the most satisfying wallbreakers in the tier on it. It's pretty easy to use and I think has quite a bit of potential. Give it a try and give me some feedback, I'd love to improve it and use it some more!

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I like those changes overall, but the main things with those are:
1. I still have a pretty massive Diancie weakness. Any advice for dealing with that? Maybe making Manaphy the defensive CM set?
2. No scarfer. Not sure how huge of a deal it is, but it's always nice having a scarfer. Changing Zone to a scarf set could remedy that and maybe help with the Diancie weakness a bit?

Last edited:
Added those changes and it seems to fair a lot better. Can't believe I forgot about Diancie haha. Played a few games and basically got 6-0'd before. Appreciate the feedback! Definitely an enjoyable first experience with this sub :]

Yo nice mega-pinsir team. I will try to make my changes to help with mega-pinsir

Ok first thing i notice is that your team does not appreciate dark types like bisharp. This could be easily solved if you change keldeo over manaphy. This change helps with dark types like bisharp/mega-gyardos while also still checking fire types like heatran.

Ok so next I notice how you have clefable. This is a mega-pinsir offense team and having clefable just dosent really make sense on offense to me as it just saps momentum. I also notice grass types like serperior trouble this team alot. This is why I suggest heatran over clefable. With this change you can stall break teams with magma-storm + taunt. I saw in your threat list how u mentioned azumarill being a trouble too you so you can run a heatran that can lure the azumarills that wanna switch in with the option of wil-o-wisp or solar beam. I would personally run solar beam as you also lure things like rotom-w allowing you to sweep easier with pinsir-mega. This also is a more reliable fairy check as your magnezone is your only real fairy switch in so putting heatran gives magnezone less pressure. This still can switch into dragon attacks like clefable did as you resist dragon attacks. Another good thing about heatran is that it helps versus the flying types that threaten mega-pinsir. Things like talonflame can threaten your team especially if its a wisp spammer burning your lando on the switchin.

Since now that we have a max speed heatran i think you should run choice specs over choice scarf on magnezone. Scarf was used to outspeed offensive scizor but we already have a heatran to outspeed scizor. Running specs allows you to hit ground types that wanna switch in like landorus-therian/garchomp allowing mega pinsir to have a more time sweeping. Since you have the Specs on Magnezone you can run scarf on keldeo giving you a better revenge killer for the team.

I agree with running yache berry on landorus-therian. All though you already take an hidden power ice from manetric at full yache berry will help alot if your opponent has something like an excadrill who forces your landorus-therian to come in. After you take 1 iron head from an excadrill you will already be in range of hidden power ice from electric types. But however if you run yache berry it gives the illusion that you are in range but your really not so you can hit that back with an earthquake resulting in either okoing the electric type or putting them in range of quick attack from mega-pinsir. I also saw how NotFalse mentioned knock off on landorus-therian. I just wanted to add on about his statement on knock off. Running Knock off allows you to knock off items like shed shell from steel types like skarmory allowing them to not be able to switch out. But i would would personally run stone edge to hit thundurus as you cant hit it with earthquake.
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Solar Beam

<
helps versus dark types like bisharp
<
helps versus stall and helps versus grass types like serp and also helps versus fairy types while still switchin into dragon attacks.
Specs>Scarf because scarf is not needed with fast heatran and specs weaken bulky grounds like lando to let mega-pinsir to have an easier time sweeping.
to help with electric types that carry hidden power Ice

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)