XY OU Mega Garde buffet

With a fair amount of help from my boi Raik (he denys it), I was able to create this team based around the cleaning abilities of Offensive Scolipede, and OU gem that not enough people use. I really like how well it cleans so I decided to build a team around it.

We wanted to build a team around Scolipede, an effective Clean Up sweeper. We knew we'd have to have something to switch in on Birdspam and I'd need a way to set up rocks.

Knowing full well Scolipede is countered by Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory, a Specs Magenzone allowed us to switch in on all of these and take them out due to Magnet Pull. Later changed to Scarfed Magnezone to check flyspam.

Lando-T worked really well because we needed something to set SR. Lando-T works really well with Magnezone as they remove their counters. They also both have pivot moves to make an interestingly useful voltturn core that can get Magnezone on what we need to easier.

With a lack of ability to switch in on Keldeo or Greninja, AV Azumarill fit as it's a reliable counter to both. It generally has nice offensive and defensive synergy with our team.

A weakness to both Tankzard Amoon and VenuTran cores had popped up so we added the ultimate stall killer, Taunt Mega Garde, which should have no trouble taking these cores down alone with rocks up.

Starmie worked as a nice glue, being able to get rocks off the field and check all the setters that we can't already deal with.

At a Glance:

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Earthquake
The star of the show. It's up to this pokemon to act as our late game clean up sweeper once anything walling it such as Ferrothorn and Lando T is taken out for good. It's quite the effective cleaner. After 1 Speed Boost it out speeds most of the meta and 2HKOes a lot of it as well. With a high damage output and a high speed, cleaning really isn't that hard once the counters are removed, with the nice EQ for things that would otherwise prevent the clean up such as Heatran. From here on out you'll see that most of the team is designed to make the clean up possible, meaning this Pokemon is normally paired with another to be my win condition.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Given that Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor are solid counters to Scolipede, we're going to need a way to remove them. This is where Magnet Pull Magnezone comes in. Scarfed Magnezone is a great option for this, 2HKOing Ferro at worst and easily OHKOing the other 2 a lot of the time, avoiding a possible Superpower from Scizor. It can take out anything severely weakened in a pinch as well due to it's nice speed with a scarf. It's also a nice flyspam check, as Timid Scarfed Magnezone outspeeds even Adamant Talonflame. Working well with our Landorus-T's U-turn, it can come in on these counters to Scolipede and take them out with HP Fire/Volt Switch, making cleaning even easier. Even in general, It's Volt Switch makes a nice Voltturn core with Landorus-T, and it hits fairly hard and quickly with it's STAB attacks. To sum up, it's a great team player that makes a nice core with Lando-T, as Lando doesn't appreciate Pokemon like Scizor and Ferrothorn either.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Landorus-T is a great Pokemon for the team, due to how good of a core it makes with Magnezone. But that's not all. Defensive Lando-T is a great way for me to switch into other Scarf Lando-T, a Scolipede counter. I just have to watch out for Knock Off. It also serves as a good check for Mega Mawile and Talonflame, who is a check to Scolipede, to an extent. The Stealth Rocks this Pokemon brings to the table are invaluable for my team, bypassing Skarmory's Sturdy for Magnezone and making cleaning easier for Scolipede by bringing down things such as Charizard-Y to KO range. It also helps me wear down opposing Scarf Landorus-T and other threatening Pokemon to the team. Finally, it's U-turn allows me to get Magnezone in on Scolipede's counters and OHKO them even easier.

Azumarill (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough
Greninja and Keldeo were threats to the team, so me and Raik decided to add AV Azumarill. A great counter/check to both, it is able to eat up special hits and do a crap ton of damage back. It's also a viable check to Landorus and Landorus-T with priority Aqua Jet, both of which are otherwise dangerous. Switching in on Azumarill was never easy, and Superpower just makes it even harder for things like Ferrothorn. This move in paticular is VITAL for me, as my Bisharp weak team needs it dead, otherwise it can set up and destroy the whole team. It's also a nice way to check both Latis and a counter to Starmie, who are either defoggers or spinners, allowing me to keep my important Stealth Rocks up and prevent them from being removed.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
Stall teams that run things such as Mega Venu, Tankzard or Amoonguss could be a real pain for our team, so we added Taunt 3 attacks Mega Gardevoir, which is pretty much here to 6-0 Stall. 2HKOing/OHKOing all of the common stall Pokemon or just shutting them down with Taunt, Mega Gardevoir is a member of the team that is both hard to switch into and hard to prevent sweeping stall. Both of those things make this Pokemon a fantastic use of our Mega slot.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
Considering the team itself doesn't like Stealth Rocks on it's side of the field, we needed a spinner. Starmie acts as an effective Spinner for the team and also works as good glue. It checks defensive Landorus-T, Gengar, ext, who would otherwise pose a huge threat to the team. It's superior to Excadrill in this case as Excadrill can't check those Pokemon. Starmie is fast and can quickly remove hazards for me and check a ton of threats, which is why its on our team.

So, thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed. I'm open to any necessary changes like any RMTer should be.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock

Mega Gyardaos
After setting up 1 Dragon Dance, Mega Gyarados outspeeds everything on my team. It's capable of switching in on and setting up on Starmie and completely screwing my team. Once Azumarril is worn down the the point where 1 +1 EQ kills, there is very little I can do to this thing, over than trying to get speeds boosts on my Scolipede to check it with Megahorn, or lower it's attack by sacking/pivoting with Landorus-T.

Mega Medicham
Switching in on this thing's standard sub set is almost impossible, considering EVERYTHING is 2HKO'ed by one of it's moves (HJK, Zen Headbutt and Ice Punch). I can check it reasonably well with Azu and Mega Gardevoir at full health, but not if it gets a Sub up. At that point it's going to take out half my team.

Mega Mawile
Exactly the same case as Mega Medicham, just more dangerous. Lando-T works as a decent check but after a few switch ins it's gonna die. At this point nothing switches in 100% safely and I'm going to have to predict carefully. Thankfully, I don't give it too many opportunities to SD for free if I play aggressively.

Thundurus
If the LO Twave 3 attacks set is running Focus Blast > Psychic, it can do a whole lot of nasty shit to the team. Not very plesent, but Starmie checks it decently well, as Ice Beam
OHKOes after rocks.

IF YOU NOTICE ANY MORE THREATS, SUGGEST I ADD THEM TO THE LIST.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Unbirthday

TOP QUALITY POSTS
Hey, looking at your team two threats stand out to me in particular: Mega Pinsir and Bisharp. Mega Pinsir only needs Landorus-T and starmie slightly weakened to sweep, both of which aren't very hard to wear down. Everything else doesn't really stand a chance at all. For that reason, I would suggest giving Magnezone a Choice Scarf over your current Choice Specs. You still easily OHKO Skarmory with Thunderbolt, and the worst thing the other two Steel types you're trying to trap, Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, can do is Leech Seed and Knock Off (Scizor can Superpower or U-turn but both of it leave it incredibly weakened after HP Fire and an easy target for Scolipede), so always OHKO'ing them isn't completely necessary in my opinion. You also have Clefable covered via Scolipede's Poison Jab, so you don't need an ultra powerful Flash Cannon for that either. It also allows you to surprise Charizard Y with a powerful Thunderbolt and kill both Terrakion and Keldeo in a pinch as both of their switch-ins are easily worn down. Using Magnezone as your primary check for Pinsir also means that Landorus doesn't have to waste its health trying to beat Pinsir, which would leave you incredibly susceptible to other physical threats such as Sand Rush Excadrill. The Bisharp weakness is a bit harder to fix, as the best switch you could make to somewhat cover it up would be Gliscor over Landorus-T. However, this leaves you pretty vulnerable to Mega Mawile, which probably isn't in your best interest, so playing cautiously with Landorus is probably a better option. However, I would suggest using Superpower over Knock Off on Azumarill as you don't really care about the main targets of Knock Off (Ferrothorn and Amoonguss) too much as they are handled well by the rest of the team. Superpower means that Bisharp has absolutely no chance to set up on a weakened Azumarill, which could very well be a problem late game, and means that Bisharp really has no free room to do anything but attack against every single member of the team. This, in turn, means that Bisharp should never really be able to threaten a sweep at +2.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough

Hey, looking at your team two threats stand out to me in particular: Mega Pinsir and Bisharp. Mega Pinsir only needs Landorus-T and starmie slightly weakened to sweep, both of which aren't very hard to wear down. Everything else doesn't really stand a chance at all. For that reason, I would suggest giving Magnezone a Choice Scarf over your current Choice Specs. You still easily OHKO Skarmory with Thunderbolt, and the worst thing the other two Steel types you're trying to trap, Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, can do is Leech Seed and Knock Off (Scizor can Superpower or U-turn but both of it leave it incredibly weakened after HP Fire and an easy target for Scolipede), so always OHKO'ing them isn't completely necessary in my opinion. You also have Clefable covered via Scolipede's Poison Jab, so you don't need an ultra powerful Flash Cannon for that either. It also allows you to surprise Charizard Y with a powerful Thunderbolt and kill both Terrakion and Keldeo in a pinch as both of their switch-ins are easily worn down. Using Magnezone as your primary check for Pinsir also means that Landorus doesn't have to waste its health trying to beat Pinsir, which would leave you incredibly susceptible to other physical threats such as Sand Rush Excadrill. The Bisharp weakness is a bit harder to fix, as the best switch you could make to somewhat cover it up would be Gliscor over Landorus-T. However, this leaves you pretty vulnerable to Mega Mawile, which probably isn't in your best interest, so playing cautiously with Landorus is probably a better option. However, I would suggest using Superpower over Knock Off on Azumarill as you don't really care about the main targets of Knock Off (Ferrothorn and Amoonguss) too much as they are handled well by the rest of the team. Superpower means that Bisharp has absolutely no chance to set up on a weakened Azumarill, which could very well be a problem late game, and means that Bisharp really has no free room to do anything but attack against every single member of the team. This, in turn, means that Bisharp should never really be able to threaten a sweep at +2.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough
Thanks for the help, Unbirthday! I'm certain these changes will only make mine and Raik's team better, there were many times whilst testing I wished Magnezone was scarfed XD. Superpower on Azu certainly helps the major Bisharp weakness, thank you! Hopefully when I test the team with these changes I will see only positive results (I should do, I mean, I can't see anything I've lost from that).

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I used to play with the same Scolipede as you but I have to say that a BP Scolipede is so much better.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash (or Mental Herb)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance / Iron Defense

If your opponent doesn't have any priority moves you can always do 1 SD/ID and then Baton Pass because of your Focus Sash. Protect makes sure you outspeed other fast things like Greninja and Scarfed opponents. Mental Herb protects you from Taunt and Torment. Scolipede often can boost up to 2.5x Speed and 3x Attack/Defense. BP to something like Azumarill or Excadrill and your opponent is dead

I used to play with the same Scolipede as you but I have to say that a BP Scolipede is so much better.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash (or Mental Herb)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance / Iron Defense

If your opponent doesn't have any priority moves you can always do 1 SD/ID and then Baton Pass because of your Focus Sash. Protect makes sure you outspeed other fast things like Greninja and Scarfed opponents. Mental Herb protects you from Taunt and Torment. Scolipede often can boost up to 2.5x Speed and 3x Attack/Defense. BP to something like Azumarill or Excadrill and your opponent is dead
See, I struggle to see how I benefit from this. By changing the Scolipede, it makes the support from the other Pokemon to allow it to clean completely pointless, meaning I might as well change most of the team. As stated in how to rate, It's normally a bad idea to change something big like that, as it clearly leads to more changes. Anyway, was there a problem with Cleaner Scolipede on this team in the first place?

Hi there. I tried your team out last night for a few hours. It's a pretty fun team. My favorite part about your team is using Megahorn or EQ on Pokémon that think I'm trying to setup a baton pass. I killed so many Mews last night with Megahorn. One thing I did notice with the team is that it has trouble with Clefable. If it gets 1 CM in then I feel like I would lose. Scolipede's poison jab can't OHKO and neither can Magnezone's Flash Cannon while Clefable can hit both Pokemon hard with Flamethrower. Just an observation I had. How do you normally handle Clefable with this team? Thanks for posting this RMT and I hope you find my feedback useful.

Hi there. I tried your team out last night for a few hours. It's a pretty fun team. My favorite part about your team is using Megahorn or EQ on Pokémon that think I'm trying to setup a baton pass. I killed so many Mews last night with Megahorn. One thing I did notice with the team is that it has trouble with Clefable. If it gets 1 CM in then I feel like I would lose. Scolipede's poison jab can't OHKO and neither can Magnezone's Flash Cannon while Clefable can hit both Pokemon hard with Flamethrower. Just an observation I had. How do you normally handle Clefable with this team? Thanks for posting this RMT and I hope you find my feedback useful.
Beating CM Clefable isn't too difficult for me. Mega Gardevoir can prevent it from setting up with Taunt, even if that means letting it set up to +1 by switching in. Seeing as it can't 2HKO Azumarill with Moonblast at +2, what I'm normally going to have to do is either prevent it from setting up past +1 and bring in Azumarril to check it, or sack Magnezone or Scolipede to get enough damage off for the other one to revenge kill. In other words, if I lose Mega Garde, I'm going to have to play carefully to prevent it setting up too much, but I'll just have to preserve it until I've taken Clefable out.

EDIT: Threat list is completed.

Last edited:
I like the team a lot. I've tried it already. Scolio and Zone are damn fun and I really missed Starmie. If I spot any more threats, I'll post them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)