XY UU Mega Absol Bulky Offense

Team at a glance:

This team started with Toxicroak and was sort of built around him at first, then started to revolve around the powerful Mega Absol.
The Team:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Toxicroak @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

I'm using an assault vest variant over the life orb variant to take on must bulky water types such as Mega Blastoise and Suicune. Sucker Punch adds much needed priority to this very slow team. Drain Punch provides good recover and makes up for a lack of black sludge. He can also absorb any toxic spikes and not get stalled out with toxic. Deals with Hydreigon very well. Ice Punch deals with a lot of switch ins that try to resist it's dual STAB attacks.

EDIT:
As per suggestions, I'll be running the SD variant of Toxicroak for more offensive pressure.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

One my favorite Pokemon to use in UU and OU. Since my teams isn't very offensive Quaqsire's unaware ability helps stall out and stop setup sweepers such as Haxorus and Honchrow and is able to take a lot of hits from other physical threats in the tier. He has been a real MVP dealing with a lot of physical threats for the team. Toxic helps stall out bulky walls that Absol and Toxicroak can't deal with.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Absol serves as essential a revenge killer all out attacker. If he can get in safely he guarantees a KO or major damage onto a Pokemon and knock off an item with Knock Off. If I'm able to get a safe mega evolution early I'm also able to bounce hazards and status moves with magic bounce. Since Absol can force a lot of switch outs I run pursuit to kill or get good damage on a potential threat that is switching out.

EDIT:
I haven't found pursuit very useful, especially after Victini has been banned, so we are now running a mixed set with Ice Beam over Fire Blast. We have Rotom to Overheat, and losing Ice punch on Toxicroak makes it harder to deal with things like dragons and ground types.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Defensive Rotom-H serves to cover a lot of the weaknesses that Absol and Toxicroak have and cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. The slow Volt Switches allow me to get initiative when my opponent switches out. We have pain split to provide some form of recovery from healthy opponents who can't do much back. We have 248 HP EV's to have an odd HP number and have more switch ins with Rocks up.

I am considering changing to Rotom Mow, as I can better deal with water and ground types now that Chesnaught is gone, but I will be more vulnerable to flying type attacks, which Empoleon might be able to handle.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roar

Empoleon fills a lot of the roles I am currently missing from the team; hazards, defog support, and a dedicated special wall. He also helps deal with the Psychic weakness I have and helps phase out some setup sweepers with roar.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Florges plays the role of a cleric and helps heal up my other Pokemon (especially Absol) with Wish. I am running 252 Def EVs to better take Psyshocks from Alakazam, and survive a Brave Bird from Honchkrow and KO with Moonblast. She helps deal with a lot of special Dragons like Mega Amphorous and Hydreigon and other special attackers.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer

Serves to help deal with ground weakness I have. Leech Seed helps with recovery and spikes help wrack up damage on switch ins. Spiky Shield helps scout for choice users moves and allow for an additional turn of recovery. Wood hammer is able to deal with most of the Pokemon I switch into.

Threats:

Pokemon I've had trouble with while laddering are (Mega) Aerodactyl, Focus Sash Alakazam, and Life Orb Hydreigon. Alakazam can come in and almost always get a kill or severely hurt my team and can't be OHKO'd unless it has taken prior damage. Double Sucker Punch helps, but I either lose my Absol or Toxicroak. Focus Blast is also able to 2HKO Empoleon, preventing any switch ins. Life Orb Hydreigon is able to severely damage Empoleon with Superpower and I don't have anything to switch into it's special attacks. My only check to Aerodatcyl is Quagsire, which I quite often need to check other Pokemon. Another Pokemon I have some trouble with is mega Amphoros, as I don't have a dedicated check to him and can only deal with him well after whittling him down. I've also found some issues with Nidoqueen, as Empoleon can't switch in on earth powers and will take major damage from Earth Power.

While I haven't encounter any of the previous threats since the change to florges, I have encountered some pokemon that wall my team. With the removal of Chesnaught I have a lot harder time dealing with Krookadile, Swampert and Quagsire. As swampert and Quagsire can deal with Toxicroak using EQ. Support Crobat also walls Toxicroak very well and out speeds Mega Absol amd can roost off any damage. I can only hope to slowly whittle it down with burn from Rotom and knocking off it's recovery.

Final Thoughts:

I feel like this team would appreciated another special wall and cleric support. Also having Defog as well as Rocks and Spikes is kind of contradictory, but my team isn't very weak to Rocks. Having a specially defensive Pokemon with a fighting resist might help with team deal with some of its weaknesses

Here are some replays of the team in action
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167171320
Showcases the value AV Toxicroak had. You will be missed
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168087229
New Changes worked out pretty well
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168765594
The Value of Florges
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-169041952
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-169114761

Importable Team:
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roar

Florges @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

EDIT:
Updated Absol and Toxicroak movesets. Added Nidoqueen to the threat list.

EDIT 2:
Changed the team by removing chesnaught and adding florges. Updated the threat list. Added some replays. Considering the possibility of Rotom-Mow

Last edited:
Hey rubydragon, this is a decent looking team. However, there a few changes that could benefit you. Pardon any formatting error I'm on mobile.

My main issue with the team is AV Toxicroak. I really just don't see a need to run this to beat cune or blastoise when it hard walls both just with its typing and ability. I'd strongly reccomend switching to an SD variant.

Also, is pursuit on mega absol really worth losing a boosting option or coverage? In a non victini, non mew metagame there's not much It can trap. I'd reccomend Fire blast or swords dance over it.

ello! I really like his team (The reason I clicked on this team was because I thought you were running a bulky mega Absol lol). The only problem that really stands out is like Peef said is AV Croak really isn't that good, since Croak more appreciates a boosting item and lacks they stats to be an effective tank. I'd recommend this set:
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Everything seems to be ran by AV nowadays lol. But anyway, for Mega Absol, I could replace Pursuit with Play Rough for more type coverage against Dragons, Dark, and Fighting types. For Toxicroak, yes Swords Dance should be added onto the moveset for a good setup and sweep with Jolly nature instead of Adamant. As for the items, Life Orb or Black Sludge would be most helpful for you.

Everything seems to be ran by AV nowadays lol. But anyway, for Mega Absol, I could replace Pursuit with Play Rough for more type coverage against Dragons, Dark, and Fighting types. For Toxicroak, yes Swords Dance should be added onto the moveset for a good setup and sweep with Jolly nature instead of Adamant. As for the items, Life Orb or Black Sludge would be most helpful for you.
If I remember correctly, play rough and knock off are illegal together, so he'd rather run knock off obviously. Plus superpower handles most of play rough's targets anyways

If I remember correctly, play rough and knock off are illegal together, so he'd rather run knock off obviously. Plus superpower handles most of play rough's targets anyways
That's true but you said "most targets" even if they're incompatible with each other, Play Rough should be ran for more type coverage. Superpower will only get rid of Dark, Normal, Ice, Rock, and Steel but it'll also decrease your Attack and Defense. Sucker Punch would help against Ghost and Psychic. Play Rough helps with Dragon and Fighting. So then instead of adding Knock off to Absol. You get more type advantages. Even if you knock off a Pokemon's item and it gets STAB from it, the attack becomes weaker even if you have SD in the set. I know that due to Mega Absol being frail and all, usually, it should be ran as an all out attacker no?
If that maybe you should try out your moveset first before ours. Usually Fire Blast or even Ice Beam would be useful on it as well. That'll give you even more type coverage. Like Ice beam can hit Flygon. Thunderbolt is very viable for hitting water types like Suicune and Vaporeon. Fire Blast can hit Chesnaught, and Galvantula as well.

There should be much more options for this person to use for Absol and that would help them narrow down attacks and that would be more useful for them.

That's true but you said "most targets" even if they're incompatible with each other, Play Rough should be ran for more type coverage. Superpower will only get rid of Dark, Normal, Ice, Rock, and Steel but it'll also decrease your Attack and Defense. Sucker Punch would help against Ghost and Psychic. Play Rough helps with Dragon and Fighting. So then instead of adding Knock off to Absol. You get more type advantages. Even if you knock off a Pokemon's item and it gets STAB from it, the attack becomes weaker even if you have SD in the set. I know that due to Mega Absol being frail and all, usually, it should be ran as an all out attacker no?
If that maybe you should try out your moveset first before ours. Usually Fire Blast or even Ice Beam would be useful on it as well. That'll give you even more type coverage. Like Ice beam can hit Landorus-T. Thunderbolt is very viable for hitting water types like Suicune and Vaporeon. Fire Blast can hit Chesnaught, and Galvantula as well.

There should be much more options for this person to use for Absol and that would help them narrow down attacks and that would be more useful for them.
Knock off is basically one of theain reasons to use mega absol though. Bypassing a 112.5 base power stab move for some coverage isn't really that good an idea imo, especially when at +2 against slower targets it can completely clean up any archetype, where If you relied only on sucker stall would shit down your neck

Knock off is basically one of theain reasons to use mega absol though. Bypassing a 112.5 base power stab move for some coverage isn't really that good an idea imo, especially when at +2 against slower targets it can completely clean up any archetype, where If you relied only on sucker stall would shit down your neck
True but all I'm saying is more attacks should be recommended for Absol as there are also other attacks that can be a valuable asset for it. But my problem from your comment before is Swords Dance cause Absol is so frail with 65/60/60 HP, Defense, and Sp. Def. Whether you get SD off, you leave yourself open for an attack by your opponent that could potentially OHKO you or put a status problem on you.

Yeah I'll try the SD set for Toxicroak. I feel like he really needs a lot for offensive pressure and the LO SD set will help. But I will miss AV and Ice Punch; being able to deal with Hydreigon was nice, and Ice Punch helps a lot with bulky ground types (Hippo, Donphan, the Nido's) and Poison types (Amoongus, Roserade, Crobat).

And I'll be running Ice Beam for now on Absol since it helps deal with a lot of the things I have trouble with.

We'll see how this iteration works and what I have trouble with.

The sets have been updated aove

I think I'd put bold Florges over Chesnaught. It will cover Hydreigon for you and provides the fighting resist and cleric support you were asking for. It takes care of Zam with naturally great SpDef and solid Defense with investment for Psyshock. While it makes you even weaker to Nidoqueen, it takes care of your other needs

I think I'd put bold Florges over Chesnaught. It will cover Hydreigon for you and provides the fighting resist and cleric support you were asking for. It takes care of Zam with naturally great SpDef and solid Defense with investment for Psyshock. While it makes you even weaker to Nidoqueen, it takes care of your other needs
Can you suggest an EV spread? I do like the idea of mixed bulk on Florges, and Chesnaught hasn't been preforming very well. This also means I lose a ground resist and a good check to Krookodile, but Rotom-H has been pretty good in dealing with Hippo and Donphan and Quagsire can deal with Krookodile.

I was thinking of something like this for the Florges:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

The 252 in Def gives more defense stats then making Florges bold while still having a very solid special defense stat.
Bold Max SpDef:
189 Def & 407 SpDef
Calm Max Def:
235 Def & 379 SpDef

The Florges set you have there will be fine. I usually run something like 248 HP, 180 Def, 80 SpDef for a mixed spread, but just going max HP and Defense is fine :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)