Max Raid Discussion Thread

Has anyone tried taking on Zeraora with a Shuckle with a Power Split/Infestation/Rest/etc. set? When I was doing a Mewtwo raid some guy brought along a similar set and it really crippled Mewtwo enough that it couldn’t just steamroll us. Granted I wouldn’t run this strat with NPCs.

Has anyone tried taking on Zeraora with a Shuckle with a Power Split/Infestation/Rest/etc. set? When I was doing a Mewtwo raid some guy brought along a similar set and it really crippled Mewtwo enough that it couldn’t just steamroll us. Granted I wouldn’t run this strat with NPCs.
The main issue of stuff like Infestation is that they only apply if shields are down, and Zeraora starts with 6 shields up right away (and most of the time puts them back up as soon as they fall since damage pushes it further down)

How uncommon is the shiny Zeraora supposed to be? Me and a friend saw one the first night but were woefully unprepared, and now that we've prepared we can't find another. We've found at least 15 of the normal 5-star one...

How uncommon is the shiny Zeraora supposed to be? Me and a friend saw one the first night but were woefully unprepared, and now that we've prepared we can't find another. We've found at least 15 of the normal 5-star one...
I've found 2 shiny ones (both murdered me, one even had 4 somewhat prepared people on it) out of like 20.

If we have to believe Serebii, shiny zeraora is ~5% chance, which would actually fit with both our experiences
https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/maxraidbattles/eventden-zeraoraevent.shtml

Yeesh. Was the Mewtwo raid this hard to find?
Mewtwo had 3 variants with approximately same chance to appear. It was also a bit rarer since it wasn't part of a bigger G-max event.

Zeraora only has 2 (regular and shiny), with regular being very common (45%ish chance in any event raid) and shiny being very rare.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Is anyone else kinda sick of the Gmax event now?

I have nearly 999 Dynamax Candy with the only use for them to be put into the cramomatic for Dragon Fangs and then with 1 Dragon Fang and 3 more for Big Mushrooms to sell for 2500 each.

The event is now getting in the way of normal raid dens, which at the moment would be far more useful to me. I've used a couple of wishing pieces and STILL got Gmax raids!

I have nearly 999 Dynamax Candy with the only use for them to be put into the cramomatic for Dragon Fangs and then with 1 Dragon Fang and 3 more for Big Mushrooms to sell for 2500 each.

The event is now getting in the way of normal raid dens, which at the moment would be far more useful to me. I've used a couple of wishing pieces and STILL got Gmax raids!
Yea once you get all the G-max forms and a good amount of Dynamax Candies they get tiresome. I would rather have raids return to normal as well. I think they may have expected an uptick in sales of SwSh when the DLC dropped so that’s why they kept the G-Max event going for so long? It’s not like this is the last time these mons will be available.

Yea once you get all the G-max forms and a good amount of Dynamax Candies they get tiresome. I would rather have raids return to normal as well. I think they may have expected an uptick in sales of SwSh when the DLC dropped so that’s why they kept the G-Max event going for so long? It’s not like this is the last time these mons will be available.
I think the reason they are keeping it up is because VGC shift to include DLC mons is soon so they want to make sure everyone can get whatever Gmax without the need to grind shrooms

I suppose it's only a minor condolence depending on the Pokemon you're searching for but I don't think the Isle of Armor raids are affected by the event raids, right? So you do have a decent pool to grab from?

ALthough maybe I never updated my wild area news...

Which I can confirm, as I've yet to see a single non-event den in my game.
Wait, wild area events don't overwrite the entire encounter table, do they? I've seen plenty of Isle of Armor let's plays with regular dens, and I don't recall people complaining about 100% Pikachu/Eevee/Meowth encounters when those were happening.

I guess this is one perk to having to go out of your way to update with Wild Area News to get any event dens

Wait, wild area events don't overwrite the entire encounter table, do they? I've seen plenty of Isle of Armor let's plays with regular dens, and I don't recall people complaining about 100% Pikachu/Eevee/Meowth encounters when those were happening.
... no, they don't, but between the Zeraoras and the G-Maxed bosses they take over a lot of dens.

I took the advice of Vengeance earlier in this thread with the Clefable. I'll admit that I downplayed it this gen until I found out about its hidden ability Unaware coming back. Not that it matters much against Zeraora anyway, but this is what I concocted in the last 24 hours.

I SOS chained Cleffa in Ultra Sun to get a Friend Guard Clefairy and did a Bank to Home transfer so it could breed with a Bold natured Ditto and then a 5 IV one. Got one with 4 IVs, EV trained it, and got it to lv. 100 and ran this set.

"Pink Floyd" Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Life Dew
- Moonblast

I had a few DCs during some raids I either created or joined, but Clefable put in the work for sure. Highly recommend for support.

Thing is, Unaware actually matters a ton, because both Zeraora raids spam attack boosts. And Clefable is able to tank them due to Unaware, instead of getting obliterated.
Obviously completely denying the -atk from max wrym is a big plus, but without Unaware itd die in 2 turns, while I almost never had mine actually die so far (only once, when i was with 2 AIs and a Sandaconda player)

Thing is, Unaware actually matters a ton, because both Zeraora raids spam attack boosts. And Clefable is able to tank them due to Unaware, instead of getting obliterated.
Obviously completely denying the -atk from max wrym is a big plus, but without Unaware itd die in 2 turns, while I almost never had mine actually die so far (only once, when i was with 2 AIs and a Sandaconda player)
If that is the case, would Quagsire also be a good pick? Not only does it have unaware, its a ground type as well to keep delivering blow after blow.

If that is the case, would Quagsire also be a good pick? Not only does it have unaware, its a ground type as well to keep delivering blow after blow.
It doesn't have redirection, which is why you want Clefable. The main selling point is redirecting everything onto the Unaware Rocky Helmet pokemon (which also happens to resist Close Combat and be immune to Outrage).
Quagsire could be okay as partner obviously, assuming you have Earth Power or basically anything that isnt Earthquake, but realistically at that point might as well use Gastrodon, Seismitoad or Palossand for Earth Power spam

Ah I see. The in-game description of Unaware confused me. I thought they nerfed it for some reason to only when Clefable is attacking. Good to know.

Guess the only real bummer is when Max Lightning gets a paralysis.

Guess the only real bummer is when Max Lightning gets a paralysis.
Max Lightning can't paralyze. The only moves that can Paralyze Clefable are Thunder Punch (on regular) and Discharge (on shiny).

If you want to play it safer, you can have a Lum berry on Clefable rather than the Rocky Helmet, or invest a turn into curing it via items, though to be fair that'd only be really a big deal against the shiny version (since there's no way to prevent being hit by Discharge).
Or you can have an ally or yourself use Safeguard on turn 1, that'd work as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)