Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Hello everyone! First time I post here I hope I'm not breaking any rules as I just wanted to share my team and ask for some help refining it.
I'm just coming back to Pokemon Showdown a bit, with not too much background on it anyway, and I wanted to build on OU team with some Pokemon that I like (and are doing well in the metagame).

The team is some sort of Bulky Offense using Mawile-Mega and Ash-Greninja with a defensive core that I enjoy a lot with Ferrothorn and Rotom-W.
Overall my feeling is that the team is pretty Balanced and works well most of the time, with an overall good defensive and offensive type coverage. When I loose I kinda feel like it's mostly due to my lack of experience or simple missplays but I'm wondering if you guys think some of the sets should be changed (or even switching mons, even though I like those). I'm gonna try to present the team and reasoning behind it, while adding some thoughts on what I'm open to change to help directing suggestions.

I initially started with Mawile-Mega SD + Sucker Punch, alongside Protean Greninja (Waterium-Z, U-Turn, HP Fire, Spikes) and SpD Heatran. But I felt like running out of options and lacking some punch so I switched to the current sets.

- I even left Sucker Punch aside on Mawile because I felt like it was underwhelming without SD, and Ash-Gren already brings a priority move. I'm mostly using Mawile to break holes in the ennemy team and sweep later on with Ash-Gren or Scarf Lando.
But maybe this movepool should still be tweaked a little bit, I can't really figure out how, I'm also open to switching the mon for another Mega (I'd like to keep a Mega on my team, even though I know it's not necessary).

- I'm not running Spikes on Ash-Gren because I don't feel like having too much opening for it so I just went with Ice Beam coverage. It's probably just my lack experience but even though I predict a switch a put a layer a Spikes I feel like I lose Momentum because I still have to switch Gren afterward.
I'm open to switching this mon out or refining the set (even coming back to another Protean variant).

- SpD Heatran was doing ok to set up Rocks but felt a bit underwhelming and I'm enjoying the Firium-Z / Trapper variant a lot more to break through Defensive walls.
I'd rather switch the Pokemon itself than change the set if needed because this one definitely feels great.

- Therefore my Ferro ends up carrying both entry hazards, which seems fine even though I liked the option of Thunder-Wave as a tech move to punish pokemons setting up on him.
One of my favorite mon in Pokemon battles so I'd like to keep in the team, but maybe I think we could consider another Stealth Rock user to open up a spot for Thunder Wave / Knock Off / Gyroball. Garchomp would probably be one of top consideration to add a solid Stealth Rock user in the team.

- I prefer running Berry than Leftovers on Rotom-W when using it as a Defoger because it lacks Pain Split for burst heal.
Really enjoying this mon as defensive Pivot but I'm open to switching it.

- Finally, Scarf Lando made sense to make sure I'm not too much in trouble against fast mons like Alakazam-Mega and it's a good complement to my defensive type coverage as well.
Definitely open to switching this mon out (or changing its set), I'm mostly using it because it fits well with the rest of the team, and it is kinda OP tbh.

In case it helps bringing in suggestions for potential switch, here is a list of other Pokemons I'd also enjoy running:
Garchomp, Zapdos, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Tornadus-T, Toxapex, Magearna, Scizor-Mega, Tapu Lele, Alakazam-Mega, Charizard-Mega X, Venusaur-Mega, Sableye-Mega, Gliscor, Tyranitar, Mew, Suicune, Keldeo, Kartana.
I'm 100% aware it's not really how you're supposed to build a team but I'm more the kind of person running Pokemon that I like while trying to make the team as competitive as possible.

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestion and looking forward to your answers guys. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, your team actually looks pretty dang solid. But I’d like to make some suggestions to improve it.

Major Changes:

—->

Tapu Fini over Rotom-W gives a real Dark resist for Ash Greninja while still supplying Defog and giving a more solid Heatran and Volcarona check. Giving another Fighting resist so Landorus isn’t so pressured in that role is nice as well. I can understand if you’d like to maintain VoltTurn with Rotom-W, though.

Minor Changes:

Spikes over Ice Beam lets Greninja punish the many switches it forces while chipping it and Mawile’s checks like Toxapex, Magearna, and Ferrothorn to a point where they can’t be handled by the opponent. It’s the main reason Ash Greninja and Mawile are so good together. And Ice Beam isn’t supplying noteworthy enough coverage for this team to where it’s worth it over the amazing utility of Spikes.

Ferrothorn’s EVs should be 252 hp / 24 def / 232 sp def careful so it can take 3 non Ash Greninja Dark Pulses if Tapu Fini gets too low while taking +1 z bounce from Gyarados. And make the slot that has Spikes on the original import Knock Off or Thunder Wave to support Greninja and Mawile respectively, and the latter especially punishes obvious switches like Tornadus and Heatran, which helps Mawile out massively. However, it’s only on non grounded targets if terrain is up so watch for that.

Make Landorus-T’s EVs more offensive with 244 atk / 64 def / 196 speed jolly to live a +2 acrobatics from Hawlucha while outspeeding Mega Alakazam, which is much more helpful than avoiding 2HKO from non banded Kartana, especially when band is the most common Kartana at the moment, and you want U-Turn to sting more as it’s your most used move.

Make Heatran’s EVs 16 hp / 212 sp atk / 28 sp def / 252 speed modest to live unboosted Magearna’s Focus Blast from full.

This last one is up to preference but Swords Dance Mawile would probably be much more beneficial for this team than all out attacker, since it can still wallbreak well and with Spikes support, it can break many faster and frailer Pokemon that resist Sucker Punch like Tapu Koko and Grenjnja or break cores like Heatran+Toxapex even better, especially if the Heatran is offensive so Sucker Punch at +2 can kill with rocks and a spike while being able to kill Toxapex with +2 Knock Off after rocks and a spike.

Threatlist:
Mega Medicham: This is a huge issue for your team since only 2 Pokemon outspeed for sure and your Mega Medicham is a speed tie and isn’t worth the risk in most scenarios. Tapu Fini also gets nuked by Zen Headbutt and even High Jump Kick, which does like 44% and therefore 2hkos after rocks. Try to pressure this thing as much as you can with double switches or even get it in range of Sucker Punch and or Earthquake.

Mega Mawile: Ironically enough, opposing Mega Mawile are really annoying thanks to the potential coverage of AoA sets and SD can clean through this team relatively easily if Mawile itself is healthy. Try to chip and pressure this thing as much as possible with hazards, stray attacks, and just not letting it get a free turn or switch by utilizing your offensive pressure.

Protean Greninja: This thing potentially has coverage for every Pokemon on your team. It’s also faster than all but 2 members of your team and it’s a tie vs Greninja while resisting your coverage (albeit not well). Scout the Greninja form first before going Tapu Fini and try to pressure it as much as possible with pivots to Landorus and get it in range of priority with hazards.

Garchomp: Due to your only Ground resist being Landorus, Garchomp is a massive nuisance. Only Greninja and Landorus can outspeed while Mawile’s Sucker can’t even kill at +2 from full. Meanwhile, this thing can get up rocks, Swords Dance up, and z Stone Edge your Landorus or even another teammate away. It can potentially even toxic Landorus albeit nothing else thanks to terrain if helmet while deterring Sucker Punch with the punishing residual of 24%. Try to pressure this as much as possible with hazards, double switches, and just get it in range of priority and or Landorus’s Earthquake.

Kartana: This is super hard for you to pivot into, especially if SD or Band. Only 2 Pokemon can outspeed if not scarf and +2 sucker doesn’t kill from full. Watch for scarf as well as it can revenge kill everything with enough chip. Just try to pressure and chip it with Greninja, priority, and hazards so Mawile or Greninja can kill it. Pivot around the more likely than not choice locked moves to best of your ability as well.

Import: https://pokepast.es/6b626423c2e4af0a

Hope I helped and you consider these ideas!

Last edited:
Hi I really like your team and it turns out to be very solid.

I would like to report some changes to make it further.

However, it presents substantial weaknesses linked to your core.

• Weaknesses
>>> The set with SD is definitely devastating outspeeds all the potential checks and in any case you would have no way to counter it with Lando-T or Greninja in case it should be in full life.

>>> In particular the modalities foreseen with the AV and with the Pain Split + CM set (Ferro could be a good check, but you could find pressure mainly in a core with Heatran or be trapped by Magnezone).

There would be other weaknesses related to Gengar, M-MixChomp and the possibility of getting walled by Celesteela.

• Major Changes:
465.png>>>
Tentantel

By doing so, you have more chances to check Kartana and have extra security on Tapu Koko, BB Ninja.
Obviously the possibility of being able to recover on each switch is more flexible within the team.
I prefer it very much so that I can be safer vs Magearna and avoid losing consistency from Gastrodon's burns.
I hope I have convinced you about this change, plus the Rain Teams have never been easy with you.

• Minor Changes:

In this regard it could become the team setter.
Stealth Rocks needed without the Hazard Setter Ferro.
The set that I propose to you is steeliumz.pngSteelium Z, so as to be able to damage the possible Tapu Fini / M-Talias (os) in switch.

You don't need to play it with 4atks, I prefer to use it with the set stallbreaker with SD.
Knock Off allows you to also damage Celesteela, Toxapex and Ferrothorn to +2.
Sucker Punch is the final move to sweep in endgames.

I propose a more bulky spread for Landorus-T., Helping you against CharX and Kartana.
Stone Edge is necessary against Bulky Volcarona and CharY, HP Fire is exclusively against SD Kartana in case Tang should fail.

• Optional:

Spikes >>> Ice Beam
Yes you would help Landorus and Mawile to sweep, but you would expose yourself too much against SD Garchomp and Gliscor (lacking reliability from Hydro Pump).
Anyway, I leave the choice up to you, even if personally I prefer it with Ice Beam in an exceptional way and in your team in particular.

• New Threats:
701.png
Lucha can sweep terribly if it goes to +2.
The alternative is not to boost it and rely on M-Mawile.
If instead BB is active you could go around it with a Sucker Punch and Water Shuriken.
The conditions present here are fundamental otherwise it is to denote that it is very hostile to have it against in a matchup.

Its usage has drastically decreased, but this team has few responses to its movepool.
HP Ninja and SE Landorus can kill it but with a probability of 80%.
The defensive core does not have measures designed specifically for him.

• Conclusion
The changes made drastically restrict the weaknesses foreseen by all that is known in the current metagame, discovering yourself towards those who should be the potential treaths with a decidedly low usage.
All in all the team is very pleasant to play (both in ladder and in tours) given its defensive solidity composed by Rotom W + Tang and then closing the sweeps with BB Ninja and ScarfLando.
Heatran is essential to play it that way so as not to lose any offensive potential, and then take refuge on the reliability of Mega Mawile against stall teams or annoying attempts.

252+ SpA Heatran Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 244 HP / 108 SpD Gliscor: 318-375 (90.3 - 106.5%)
252+ SpA Heatran Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 202-238 (55.4 - 65.3%)
252+ SpA Heatran Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 8 HP / 44 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 368-434 (107.2 - 126.5%)

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback guys, it's really appreciated.

I made most of the changes suggested by Ophion (tweaking the sets and spreads), but didn't went for the Tapu Fini change yet. I will see how it goes this way first. I might still have a problem with Fighting types, so I might end up going for it anyway.
I'm also considering Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T for this spot, I like this build overall, it seems to fit my team and it could help resist the Fighting type as well. I'd lose a solid check to Heatran there (Rottom-W) but I feel like my team is doing fine against it anyway. What do you think ?

Also, I wonder if I should change Explosion on Landorus to something else that could lure a specific threat, like a common switch-in that I don't cover already. Just a thought but my knowledge isn't deep enough to pick something, so I'll keep for now.

Here is the current team : https://pokepast.es/924d67dd7656667f
Tornadus/Rottom switch version : https://pokepast.es/caeb401b46cd75a1

Edit: Also trying the team with Tapu Fini. I think I like this version the most overall, it really helps handling Fighting/Dark types while keeping a good Heatran check. Plus Misty Terrain is great to make sure Mawile doesn't get Burn. I'm loosing a Ground immunity that was appreciate but I guess that's fine overall.
Tapu Fini version: https://pokepast.es/eb3fc5cca46fc8f1
The real downside I can see so far compared to the Tornadus variant is that I feel weaker to Grass type like Tapu Bulu and Kartana.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)