Marowak @ Thick Club
ADAMANT
+Lightningrod+
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Fire Punch
-Protect

Marowak joins the ranks of Ground-type Pokemon with stupendous Atk (or "effective" Atk) and poor SpA, and a very colorful Special movepool. However, Marowak is numb to this irony because of its very, very integral species-exclusive held item, the Thick Club. Unfortunately for Marowak, its BST is fairly wretched, and one of the stats that takes the hard blow is its Spe. In Singles this was a much bigger problem, since Marowak had no way of increasing its Spe without the aid of a Baton Pass chain, but in Doubles, with skillful use of its partner, the player can adapt to these Spe difficulties.

There are a number of ways to do this. The player can increase his team's speed with Tailwind, or lower the opponent's team's speed with Icy Wind or Thunder Wave-spam (The latter of which requires a change in Marowak's ability due to legality issues), or through Trick Room (Which at the moment has its own set)

There are several different users of these moves that can do so without incurring friendly fire, namely Earthquake. Cresselia, Latios, and Latias all Levitate and can use Icy Wind effectively due to high offensive or defensive stats or, in Latias's case, both. Thundurus, Zapdos, and Murkrow all effectively use Thunder Wave, Murkrow and Thundurus in particular due to Prankster. Zapdos is easily the bulkiest of the three though, and as a result may get more mileage out of Thunder Wave overall. Tornadus and Murkrow learn Tailwind. In addition, any Pokemon can be "immune" to Earthquake via the Air Balloon if you are willing to risk that it may be hit by an enemy attack during the turn it uses one of the aforementioned moves.

There are a few other options for Marowak. If you can't do what you want without Thunder Wave, you can switch Lightningrod for Rock Head, and switch in Double-Edge from Fire Punch if you aren't afraid of Bronzong (Which, as far as I've seen, is much, much less common than last gen). Last, if you fear that Earthquake will hit you too often, you can use Bonemerang, which hits for 75 damage twice after STAB with 90% accuracy, enough power to KO about any common Sasher that doesn't resist it or isn't immune to it. Bulldoze is also an option for slowing down the foe, and works with Marowak's common use of Protect in synch with the setup Pokemon's move, but it has the glaring Ground-type so often nullified, which I feel doesn't make up for its accuracy over the comparable Icy Wind, void of immunities.

The EVs are basic for Tailwind and Icy Wind, but they can be different if you're running Thunder Wave (as can the ability). Jolly can also be chosen as a nature if you want to beat certain numbers before or after Marowak's partner changes the speed of either team (if Marowak's partner is intended to do that at all), but as when all other things are equal Adamant is preferred, and as this is an "all other things equal" general set, Adamant is chosen here.

-----------------------------

This is still a WIP. I need to know, for one, if y'all think there is enough difference in a Trick Room set (0 Spe IV, BRAVE nature, possibly different EVs) to write it out, or just include it as the "other means" to getting Marowak in a position of speed dominance. As usual, if I made any factual mistakes please tell me right away, even if you aren't sure that I'm wrong. Also, if you have differing thoughts on how Marowak is or should be used, tell me that as well. The best possible thing is for this thread to be aflame with thoughts and experiences, not a ghost-thread void of conversation.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This might seem shallow and not-well-thought-out, but to be honest, I can't see a reason to use Marowak over Mamoswine, as Mamoswine is bulkier and has awesome STAB in Ice. The power and (lower) Speed are the main reasons I can see to use Marowak over Mamoswine, but with a Life Orb, Mamoswine is 91% as powerful as Marowak, so the only real niche I can see is Marowak's lower Speed making it easier to use in Trick Room. While Mamoswine's Ice typing does give it a few more weaknesses, its greater physical bulk and excellent secondary STAB in Icicle Crash and Ice Shard seems to give it the edge over Marowak. In addition, I can see Rhyperior being a formidable opponent when searching for a Trick Room attacker with STAB Earthquake. I just don't see a reason to use Marowak over comparable Earthquake abusers.

Those are very good points actually, and I don't see what exactly Marowak can do that isn't compensated in another form by the others (i.e. It can hit harder without recoil, but that doesn't compensate its frailty and poor coverage). The main reason I wanted to include it was for the purposes of having a "complete library" of Pokemon, and I felt that, having used him so well in Gen IV, he should at least be mentioned in Gen V. That's rather specious reasoning, but if every Pokemon is eventually going to be catalogued Marowak's at least got some history behind it.

breh

強いだね
Marowak is possibly the best gyarados partner of all time. People forget it has lightningrod and it's actually a good pokemon in itself. There's not a single mention of gyarados here, but there needs to be, I feel.

(before anybody says "discharge", run wacan gyara anyway)

on a side note, I've been running bonemerang/eq/detect/rock slide, which seems a lot better than sticking fire punch there, since fire punch seems a bit silly.

detect > protect for imprison, but you'll never see it in this meta anyway.

breh

強いだね
it's not always going to be able to be partnered with gyara (for example, if it dies). if you have a pokemon with a ground neutrality, it will not enjoy being either forced to protect or being mauled by earthquakes.

also, remember the move I'm saying it's better than: fire punch. The only time it's far greater than rock slide or bonemerang against something is against virizion, skarmory, and bronzong. Pretty much, very, very seldom.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Marowak wants wants wants wants WANTS earthquake over bonemerang.
definitely work on the tr set

most other stuff seems to be good

I agree, Bonemarang out classes EQ completely. And if you say Fire Punch isn't useful, what is? There aren't many other options.

breh

強いだね
uhh... I'm not saying to use eq over bonemerang or vice-versa. I'm saying to use both on the same set. I feel that running bonemerang has more utility than fire punch will ever have.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bonemerang doesn't outclass Earthquake at all (unless you got mixed up and meant the other way around). Earthquake hits both opponents, which is a HUGE plus over Bonemerang's single target.

EDIT: Yeah lol, this was a funny misunderstanding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)