MALEVOLENCE BREWING IN THE RMT FORUM - a user's descent to madness

It started like any other day.

I woke up with a smile, and used the bathroom. I flexed in front of the mirror while listening to Tchaikovsky. I ate my cheerios, and I played Age of War 2 for 7 hours.

I finished off with one of my favorite pastimes: browsing the Official Smogon Rate My Team Forum. It's a wonderful place — users of all manner of playing career and status share their ideas, and often find suggestions that may help both the rater and the sharer of the team grow as players. I particularly enjoy them for their analysis aspect. It's one thing to see a set of pokemon, and another to learn about what goes into its selection and spread choices.

I'm more of a past gens player, but on that fateful day I decided to look in the current gen threads. They are quite active, after all.

Lots of good stuff! In particular, Pinkacross's Hisuian Goodra offense was a very well organized and easy to follow breakdown of a successful team. Even as someone with little experience in the generation, it was easy to follow and learn from. I wonder what could be next?

1703004269758.png

Oh cool, a new take on stall by SupaGmoney that's seen success. It truly is amazing that despite gamefreak's attempts to nerf fat, the playerbase has adapted to keep an important playstyle alive. Let's take a look-

1703003873514.png
I remember a few thoughts going through my head.

"Why does it look like that???" "This shit makes my head hurt!" "Why are Anubis Warriors so effective for the cost of only 200 gold?" "I sure hope nobody else writes their RMTs like this"

So, with a fresh migraine in tow, I backed out. What a mess. I didn't waste years of my life studying English only to be electronically backhanded by an RMT. I went back to Past Gen Teams, and cooled off for the day.

That was where it ended..... or so I thought.

Yesterday, my curiosity for the new gen blossomed with the current DLC drops. Since it's too early for tournaments to give teams and I don't have a foot to stand on when it comes to building, I decided to try the RMT forums again.

I ate my after work dinner and got to browsing. Sure enough, a fresh post DLC team was dropped! Featuring Primarina, no less. User LandorusTBeatsGreatTusk had created a novel idea on a successful build! A great way to start. I opene-

1703003860319.png

oh.. oh no oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

It was spreading. It was everywhere. I must have found at least 20 teams in those harrowing few minutes of clicking around. My low sodium pea soup was lurching in my gut. The bile was rising.

These were good teams... and their explanations were in hieroglyphs. I was in shambles. I speak to you now, a shell. I had to find the source.

After some more digging, the earliest example I could find was this one from January:
1703003838782.png

Another stall team, huh. Lets put a pin in that. Regardless, this had been going back for just about a year now. I began to tear up. What a horrible loss for the new generation. Dozens of RMTs, stained, soiled like my shirt from my extra large Mtn Dew Baja Blast ™ I spilled earlier in the day.

I was filled now with conviction. If nobody else was brave enough to take a stand, then the burden fell on my shoulders.

So,

Lets take a look at a few RMTs to illustrate my grief.
1703003816206.png
This is an excerpt from Matte's rmt on their team Jealousy (links for this and all referenced teams in replies). It's simple, no nonsense, and discusses details without any visual hiccups. A little bland, but nothing that distracts my eyes. I like it.

1703003790290.png
This example is from Mimikyu Stardust's RMT "Dark-Blaze". Seeing the sprites in this one initially spiked my blood pressure, but after a moment it became easy to read. This is in large part due to the mons' names always being included, allowing for a mix of the classic style and still spicing it up visually. I now consider this a solid and inoffensive way to write an RMT.

1703003774147.png
Holy mother of Herbert Hoover. This is taken from Knexhawk's recent ladder topping Wo-Chien stall. I don't even know where to begin with this. It is relentless.
1703003929428.png
eyes.png
can't keep
best-scope-guide-honest-rifle-scope-reviews-34 (1).png
for more than a moment with the amount of
1703003944467.png
popping from sprites. The middle of this was about 4 lines long and felt like 40.
1703003958071.png
think a
1703003973424.png
stall
1fa9e (1).png
would take less time than reading this and processing it in full.
1703004034110.png
did not read Gone With The Wind in 5 days for
1703004044605.png
8th grade book report to have
1703004057356.png
eyes.png
STUNNER.gif
like this. It's a shame, cause this likely would've been a very interesting read from one of the
ladder.png
most inventive and prolific stall players.

.... wait a second. It's stall. Again. Let's rewind to juliusfunnel's RMT. At the end, there's a discord linked. THE STALL EMPIRE.

I could no longer ignore this consistency, and needed to investigate. And there... I found it.

SupaGmoney — 09/04/2023 10:16 PM
good first rmt
[10:16 PM]
i also like how my use of minisprites has become standard for stall rmts now lol (edited)
other rmts have started using it too

It was him. It was big stall.

THEY'VE FOUND A WAY TO STALL IN THE FORUMS! THEY'VE TAkeN OUR TiME OUR DIGNitY OURHAPPINESSANDNOWOURREADINGCOMPREHENSIONTOOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attachments

Last edited:
Larp anger aside, I mean zero ill will to Knexhawk, SupaGmoney, or anyone else here whose rmts I slandered. You all do great work in keeping the ladder fresh and interesting, and I hope you keep sharing your work. It contributes to one of the site's best resources. I just wish I could read them without getting a bad headache. Sincere thanks to them and anyone else whose teams I referenced along the way

Last edited:

I woke up with a smile, and used the bathroom. I flexed in front of the mirror while listening to Tchaikovsky. I ate my cheerios, and I played Age of War 2 for 7 hours.

I finished off with one of my favorite pastimes: browsing the Official Smogon Rate My Team Forum. It's a wonderful place — users of all manner of playing career and status share their ideas, and often find suggestions that may help both the rater and the sharer of the team grow as players. I particularly enjoy them for their analysis aspect. It's one thing to see a set of pokemon, and another to learn about what goes into its selection and spread choices.

I'm more of a past gens player, but on that fateful day I decided to look in the current gen threads. They are quite active, after all.

Lots of good stuff! In particular, Pinkacross's Hisuian Goodra offense was a very well organized and easy to follow breakdown of a successful team. Even as someone with little experience in the generation, it was easy to follow and learn from. I wonder what could be next?

View attachment 581719
Oh cool, a new take on stall by SupaGmoney that's seen success. It truly is amazing that despite gamefreak's attempts to nerf fat, the playerbase has adapted to keep an important playstyle alive. Let's take a look-

"Why does it look like that???" "This shit makes my head hurt!" "Why are Anubis Warriors so effective for the cost of only 200 gold?" "I sure hope nobody else writes their RMTs like this"

So, with a fresh migraine in tow, I backed out. What a mess. I didn't waste years of my life studying English only to be electronically backhanded by an RMT. I went back to Past Gen Teams, and cooled off for the day.

Yesterday, my curiosity for the new gen blossomed with the current DLC drops. Since it's too early for tournaments to give teams and I don't have a foot to stand on when it comes to building, I decided to try the RMT forums again.

I ate my after work dinner and got to browsing. Sure enough, a fresh post DLC team was dropped! Featuring Primarina, no less. User LandorusTBeatsGreatTusk had created a novel idea on a successful build! A great way to start. I opene-

It was spreading. It was everywhere. I must have found at least 20 teams in those harrowing few minutes of clicking around. My low sodium pea soup was lurching in my gut. The bile was rising.

These were good teams... and their explanations were in hieroglyphs. I was in shambles. I speak to you now, a shell. I had to find the source.

After some more digging, the earliest example I could find was this one from January:
View attachment 581707
Another stall team, huh. Lets put a pin in that. Regardless, this had been going back for just about a year now. I began to tear up. What a horrible loss for the new generation. Dozens of RMTs, stained, soiled like my shirt from my extra large Mtn Dew Baja Blast ™ I spilled earlier in the day.

I was filled now with conviction. If nobody else was brave enough to take a stand, then the burden fell on my shoulders.

So,

This is an excerpt from Matte's rmt on their team Jealousy (links for this and all referenced teams in replies). It's simple, no nonsense, and discusses details without any visual hiccups. A little bland, but nothing that distracts my eyes. I like it.

This example is from Mimikyu Stardust's RMT "Dark-Blaze". Seeing the sprites in this one initially spiked my blood pressure, but after a moment it became easy to read. This is in large part due to the mons' names always being included, allowing for a mix of the classic style and still spicing it up visually. I now consider this a solid and inoffensive way to write an RMT.

Holy mother of Herbert Hoover. This is taken from Knexhawk's recent ladder topping Wo-Chien stall. I don't even know where to begin with this. It is relentless. View attachment 581710 View attachment 581722 can't keep View attachment 581731 for more than a moment with the amount of View attachment 581711 popping from sprites. The middle of this was about 4 lines long and felt like 40. View attachment 581712think aView attachment 581713 stallView attachment 581732 would take less time than reading this and processing it in full. View attachment 581714 did not read Gone With The Wind in 5 days for View attachment 581715 8th grade book report to have View attachment 581716 View attachment 581722 View attachment 581718 like this. It's a shame, cause this likely would've been a very interesting read from one of the View attachment 581720most inventive and prolific stall players.

.... wait a second. It's stall. Again. Let's rewind to juliusfunnel's RMT. At the end, there's a discord linked. THE STALL EMPIRE.

I could no longer ignore this consistency, and needed to investigate. And there... I found it.

good first rmt
i also like how my use of minisprites has become standard for stall rmts now lol (edited)

THEY'VE FOUND A WAY TO STALL IN THE FORUMS! THEY'VE TAkeN OUR TiME OUR DIGNitY OURHAPPINESSANDNOWOURREADINGCOMPREHENSIONTOOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
nice rmt larp

Decided to give these teams a second chance and I want us to focus on one team in particular so that new users to the RMT section can learn what NOT to do. The team in question: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/double-regen-stall-peaked-1-2061-86-7-gxe.3714784/

Okay, we start off with a left-aligned "table of contents" when no team should even need one. This is Xenforo, not a document editor. Unless you can hyperlink or anchor to specific parts of your document there is literally no point in having a table of contents, doubly so when parts 1 and 2 are visible in the same fucking frame as the actual "table." And then to top it all off, this genius decides he's going to make everything, including the ToC header, size 22 font. :great-tusk: you say, but then why the hell did he make his "Introduction" header size 26? Why is the entire team written in size 18 font? Why are people not put off by the additional padding in-between lines when you insert one of the mini-sprites?

AND THEN, to top it all off, my man says "na, fuck text, I'm screenshotting Showdown for my RMT, export button included."

Despite everything I just said I still feel like I'm at a loss for words. Christ.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

View attachment 581719

View attachment 581707

So,

Holy mother of Herbert Hoover. This is taken from Knexhawk's recent ladder topping Wo-Chien stall. I don't even know where to begin with this. It is relentless. View attachment 581710 View attachment 581722 can't keep View attachment 581731 for more than a moment with the amount of View attachment 581711 popping from sprites. The middle of this was about 4 lines long and felt like 40. View attachment 581712think aView attachment 581713 stallView attachment 581732 would take less time than reading this and processing it in full. View attachment 581714 did not read Gone With The Wind in 5 days for View attachment 581715 8th grade book report to have View attachment 581716 View attachment 581722 View attachment 581718 like this. It's a shame, cause this likely would've been a very interesting read from one of the View attachment 581720most inventive and prolific stall players.

good first rmt

As RMT leader, I can say from a personal perspective I strongly dislike how people make RMTs look like that, it's' extremely difficult to read. This is an excellent thread thank you for posting.

Mimikyu Stardust

Loli Kami Requiem~☆
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion

View attachment 581719

View attachment 581707

So,

good first rmt

This was a hilarious read, ty for the shoutout and as someone who enjoys making RMT whenever im bored and have a good team to share, i always try to find a way to make my RMT look better, easier to read, etc so i don't really have a consistent "style", just what i think is cool.

i think my personal favourite RMT i have made is my SS Ubers Dugtrio Rain since i went VERY in depth here and its a super creative build that was successful on a tier i didn't main so i was quite proud.
i think my best one is probably The Dark Spam HO team since it was a really good team and the analysis and showcase of replays were the best ones since all of them were against very seasoned players. At the time of creation, this team was the perfect anti-meta pick, and there were very little that beat it, its still good now but not as good. This style of HO which i like to call "Mew Spikes Lead" was really popularized by vert since this team was largely his doing (he also helped a lot of the writing hence why it has really good grammar, same with my Kingambit HO), and he made like 12 of these teams with various mons like kingdra or aerodactyl, they were good, but not as good as the OG, i am shocked tho that this style of team didn't spike in popularity, its easy and quick.
Although my favorite actual team to use was this Hax team, my god its so fun to use, its no longer as good cause of the rise of zapdos but at the time it was a real team that wins by being BS, i spent so long building this team so seeing it turning out as perfect as i couldve wanted was satisfying, even in the RMT i showcased the many versions of this team and why they failed.

For others who want to write their own RMT and have them be good, my suggestion is to make sure its easy to read, its simple, its concise and try to put your perspective on why you do thing A or thing B into your reader's mind, my favourite RMT writer is definetly Mirbro , he makes awesome long in depth posts about his team and everytime i read them i felt like i've mastered whatever tier the team is about and makes me eager to play them. He goes deep into what the tier is all about, why he picks certain stuff, what you should do about its weakness and you really do see his mindset, not only that the format and style is also very easy on the eyes so you won't get overwhelmed.

This was a hilarious read, ty for the shoutout and as someone who enjoys making RMT whenever im bored and have a good team to share, i always try to find a way to make my RMT look better, easier to read, etc so i don't really have a consistent "style", just what i think is cool.

i think my personal favourite RMT i have made is my SS Ubers Dugtrio Rain since i went VERY in depth here and its a super creative build that was successful on a tier i didn't main so i was quite proud.
i think my best one is probably The Dark Spam HO team since it was a really good team and the analysis and showcase of replays were the best ones since all of them were against very seasoned players. At the time of creation, this team was the perfect anti-meta pick, and there were very little that beat it, its still good now but not as good. This style of HO which i like to call "Mew Spikes Lead" was really popularized by vert since this team was largely his doing (he also helped a lot of the writing hence why it has really good grammar, same with my Kingambit HO), and he made like 12 of these teams with various mons like kingdra or aerodactyl, they were good, but not as good as the OG, i am shocked tho that this style of team didn't spike in popularity, its easy and quick.
Although my favorite actual team to use was this Hax team, my god its so fun to use, its no longer as good cause of the rise of zapdos but at the time it was a real team that wins by being BS, i spent so long building this team so seeing it turning out as perfect as i couldve wanted was satisfying, even in the RMT i showcased the many versions of this team and why they failed.

For others who want to write their own RMT and have them be good, my suggestion is to make sure its easy to read, its simple, its concise and try to put your perspective on why you do thing A or thing B into your reader's mind, my favourite RMT writer is definetly Mirbro , he makes awesome long in depth posts about his team and everytime i read them i felt like i've mastered whatever tier the team is about and makes me eager to play them. He goes deep into what the tier is all about, why he picks certain stuff, what you should do about its weakness and you really do see his mindset, not only that the format and style is also very easy on the eyes so you won't get overwhelmed.
Wow!! That was a Xmas present. Lovely to see that my posts moved you, that was their point! I also love your RMTs :P I follow em!!

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
CAP has this problem too to some degree. A lot of users, in the process of explaining which Pokemon and CAPs should be included in "threats" or "check and counters" end up only using sprites and not the names as well. as someone who has not the greatest eyesight and potential kinds of dyslexia or whatever, the sprites severely break up the continuity of a sentence and make it incredibly difficult to read. This is an unironic real gripe of mine and I'm glad you're bringing this to the attention of the masses.

CAP has this problem too to some degree. A lot of users, in the process of explaining which Pokemon and CAPs should be included in "threats" or "check and counters" end up only using sprites and not the names as well. as someone who has not the greatest eyesight and potential kinds of dyslexia or whatever, the sprites severely break up the continuity of a sentence and make it incredibly difficult to read. This is an unironic real gripe of mine and I'm glad you're bringing this to the attention of the masses.

I hadn't even thought about that part. Sounds horrible. I also forgot to bring up the time I had bad internet and the sprites wouldnt load quite literally rendering it unreadable. I had fun writing this but it is and will continue to be a genuine concern as long as these keep getting written like it. Thanks for the reply

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'm bumping this to say that Im beginning to see this egrigous use of sprites in multiple other instances on this forum. This is actually really obnoxious and it heavily reduces the probability that I take the time to read your post. It adds absolutely nothing to aesthetic of the post and only takes away from it. It's becoming frustrating to see a post that I'd like to read but then see this shit.

To the people using this format please stop. It's not accessible and just diminishes the post value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)