Make It Rain!

So this is my second attempt at a team. The Sandstorm wasn't really working for me so I wanted to try something new.

MakeItRain (Politoed) - Choice Scarf
Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Modest (+Sp. Atk / -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump

Basic Scarf Politoed build. To be honest I am not sure If I like this or not. I haven't had a lot of experience with the Choice Items and I don't know if I like being locked into a move. I know that Hidden Power Grass is preferred over Psychic but my HP Grass was so weak that despite Palpitoad having a 4x weakness to grass, it couldn't even one shot him on the Battle Subway. That's when I figured Psychic would be slightly more beneficial to my cause. I also dislike that Hydro Pump and Focus Blast are not 100% accuracy, but I spose that is a necessary evil. Any suggestions on how Politoed could be any better would be appreciated!

Juggernaut (Kabutops) - Life Orb
Swift Swim (I know it is banned from Smogon tournies - read on!)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant (+Atk. / +Sp. Atk)
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall

I realize that Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned from Smogon tournies. I was not aware of this before I made the team though. Frankly, I don't know if I will even compete in Smogon tournies, so comments on this guy are welcome too. He honestly could stand to be replaced by something like Dragonite or maybe SubSpore Parasect, as he benefits from rain with Dry Skin. I really need a physical sweeper though, and Kabutops was one of my favorite pokemon from gen 1, so I was quick to pick this guy up for my team.

Psychosoma (Starmie) - Life Orb
Natural Cure
Timid (+Spd / -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I opted for a more supportive Starmie, throwing Rapid Spin on, and putting Scald in place of Hydro Pump. It doesn't pack near as much punch but it still does a respectable amount of damage with STAB and in the rain. I also opted for BoltBeam over Recover, as Starmie seems to die pretty quickly anyways, and a turn spent recovering is a turn spent not attacking. Could probably use some other opinions on the more support-focused Starmie. He won't be packing as much of a punch as Politoed (though Starmie is only down by a mere 3 points in Sp. Atk), but I feel as though he has a nice place on the team.

Challenger (Toxicroak) - Leftovers
Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant (+Atk / -Sp. Atk)
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch
Substitute

I like Toxicroak a lot. He is a pretty diverse pokemon, and could benefit from a number of moves. I like the Substitute set, because you can do a lot with it if they don't break it down the first turn. However, I feel as though if they -do- break it down that first turn, you're pretty much screwed for setup, and need to Sucker Punch/Drain Punch your way through it. Sometimes a good Drain Punch + Leftovers + Dry Skin will treat you nicely and you don't even need the Substitute. He could possibly use some work, but I feel pretty positive about him.

Shellshock (Galvantula) - Life Orb
Compoundeyes
Timid (+Spd / -Atk)
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

This is my favorite little guy from Gen 5. I refuse to take him off of the team. I realize that Compoundeyes already makes up for the lack of accuracy on the move Thunder, but rain just amplifies it. It's nice to have a strong attack like Thunder if I end up against another water pokemon in the rain. Galvantula's Sp. Atk is a little lower than I like (266), but he outspeeds a lot of pokemon. Any ideas for that would be appreciated!

Synthetik (Ferrothorn) - Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Sp. Def
Relaxed (+Def / -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

I love this guy to death. I have been using him in 2v2 Battle Subway rounds and he is a beast. As soon as you get that Leech Seed down, you can begin to tank it out. I find that Iron barbs and Rocky Helmet is a painful situation for physical sweepers. Not only this - but the rain lessens his weakness to fire down to 2x, meaning he can still take a fire attack and live to fight another battle generally. Ferrothorn has definitely earned his position on my team and I don't see any reason to change that in the near future.

Thanks for stopping in. Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Its not that Drizzle+SwiftSwim is banned from smogon tournaments, its just banned from OU smogon tournaments. If I were you I would get this thread moved to the uber section in order to get more rates.

Pretty solid team you've got there, asides from kabutops being banned in OU, and galvantula. I know you don't want to replace galvantula, but honestly, he doesn't have a great movepool, as far as i know rain boosts the accuracy of thunder anyway, so really he doesn't have much use, but if you choose to keep him, thats your choice, no matter how weak it is. IF i had a choice i'd probably go with

Rotom - W @ Choice specs
Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 SpA/ 8 Speed
Modest
-Trick
-Pain Split
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump

This is my ideal set, but other sets, and Pokemon would probably be better than galvantula.

If swift swim is allowed, throw a kingdra on there. He gets walled by ferrothorn, but if you back him up with a magnezone or someone else to deal with ferrothorn, kingdra is the best pokemon to have out there in the rain.

Pretty solid team you've got there, asides from kabutops being banned in OU, and galvantula. I know you don't want to replace galvantula, but honestly, he doesn't have a great movepool, as far as i know rain boosts the accuracy of thunder anyway, so really he doesn't have much use, but if you choose to keep him, thats your choice, no matter how weak it is. IF i had a choice i'd probably go with

Rotom - W @ Choice specs
Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 SpA/ 8 Speed
Modest
-Trick
-Pain Split
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump

This is my ideal set, but other sets, and Pokemon would probably be better than galvantula.
Aww shucks, well alright. I might be able to try that out. I am just worried I am limiting myself with so many water types. I do like that set though. How do you benefit with support moves, while using Choice Specs though?

@SpoeMeister - Not a bad idea at all. I just am afraid that the rain might get cancelled for whatever reason and I could be up a creek on that one. I will look into that though and see how it benefits me.

What do you guys think about a Rain Abuser Dragonite? Both Thunder and Hurricane gain 100% accuracy in rain. He could probably take Galvantula's spot, unless Rotom is the way to go.

When picking a substitute for Galvantula, put in mind that you have 3 pokemons with electric weakness and only 2 with resistance. Plus that you have 2 pokemons weak to Ground and none of your pokemons has any resistance.

When picking a substitute for Galvantula, put in mind that you have 3 pokemons with electric weakness and only 2 with resistance. Plus that you have 2 pokemons weak to Ground and none of your pokemons has any resistance.
I was thinking something like a Whiscash with support, but that sets me up to be weak to grass once again. So many decisions. That Dragonite is nice for ground types, but I am not set on him yet. I feel like a Life Orb ruins his whole ability, and yet I don't feel he is fast enough either.

I could use another Physical attacker to replace Kabutops. Right now all but Toxicroak (and Ferrothorn if you want to consider his one attack) use special attacks really, so that kind of limits me.

Gliscor?

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
180 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 218 Spe (EV's copied from here
Impish
-Swords Dance
-Fling
-Acrobatics
-Earthquake

this guy will wreak both sand and sun, as well as covering all of your major weaknesses... I don't know where to add him in, but he seems like the perfect threat counter for your team

Low Kick > Brick Break on Kabutops.

If you're using Swift Swim + Drizzle, you need Kingdra, it's the most threatening Pokémon in the rain.

Another possible replacement for Galvantula is Lanturn. I know it has the same typing as Rotom, HOWEVERRR... Volt Absorb means you get a free switch-in to any electric attack. It's not as threatening as say.. Lightningrod Zapdos, but having an electric immune Pokémon that benefits from the rain (with powered up Hydro Pumps and 100% accurate Thunders) could really help you out. Just something to consider. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)