Which playstyle do y’all prefer?

• Offense

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Balance

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Defense

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
I don’t know what it is, but I perform much better with bulky mons that can take hits and pester the enemy than risky glass cannons. So, I decided to build a team around that and test it out. It’s doing well so far, but I’d like to see how I could improve it.

Pompeii (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Heatran’s Flash Fire ability in addition to its wonderful Steel typing allows it to wall a multitude of attacks, making it a great staller. It has Toxic for obvious reasons, Stealth Rock for when I predict a switch, Lava Plume for STAB and hopefully a burn chance, and Protect lets it stall out Toxic turns and gain more from Leftovers.

No This is Patrick! (Toxapex) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Toxapex is here to Haze pesky setup sweepers that could put serious holes in my team, and if it finds itself in some hot water, it can always switch out to gain HP with Regenerator. Scald is to make sure it’s not complete Taunt bait, Toxic never misses when used by Toxapex, making it all the more irritating for opponents, and Recover is for, well, recovery. The Black Sludge is self explanatory. I decided to invest in Defense more than Special Defense because both Heatran and Tapu Bulu have enough of that, and I didn’t wanna get wrecked by physical attackers.

Seeing Red (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Bulk Up
- Synthesis

The former two Pokémon have one thing in common: Earthquake and Ground types in general are bad news for them. Tapu Bulu provides a switch in to Ground type attacks, Grassy Surge weakens Earthquake and provides passive recovery, and he even forms a FWG core with Heatran and Toxapex! Horn Leech, though seemingly weak with 75 base damage, packs a punch when STAB and Grassy Terrain are factored in, and it helps keep Tapu Bulu alive. Superpower keeps it from being too passive, letting it smash sturdier opponents. Bulk Up makes it to where Horn Leech does even more damage, and Superpower’s stat drops are less noticeable. Synthesis is there in case Horn Leech’s recovery isn’t enough. Leftovers stacked with Grassy Terrain provides even more passive recovery, making Tapu Bulu a formidable wall.

Dracula (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost

I noticed that even with the robust core I’ve made, there’s still a glaring flaw: I’ve no way to deal with Stealth Rock! Therefore, I need a Defogger. I wanted to pick a Defogger who wasn’t too bothered by Stealth Rocks themselves, but still decently bulky. As it turns out, Toxic Orb Gliscor is a fine candidate. Earthquake is there for STAB and to answer specially bulky Pokémon, Knock Off is to cripple attackers with Life Orbs or walls with pinch Berries, Defog is to make sure Stealth Rock isn’t whittling my team away, and Roost makes it even harder for people to take down Gliscor. Toxic Orb and Poison Heal are a damn near unstoppable combo, preventing Gliscor from being crippled by burns and giving it potent passive recovery.

Tough Love (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

I felt like after all of the annoying status effects I’m going to put my opponents through, I should make sure that they can’t do the same to me, therefore, I needed a cleric. Who better than the adorable pink egg, Chansey? Her Aromatherapy cures Tapu Bulu’s burns and the occasional sleep from Sleep Powder, Seismic Toss provides consistent damage, Toxic is here to make sure I’m almost always able to use it, and Soft-Boiled keeps Chansey alive to stall another day. Natural Cure keeps me from worrying about Chansey getting poisoned or put to sleep, and Eviolite makes Chansey the terror that she is.

Hopkins (Sableye) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

For a team that’s heavily reliant on Leftovers, Black Sludge, and Toxic Orb, an opponent’s Knock Off is really bad. Luckily, M-Sableye can provide a switch in to Knock Off, in addition to catching hazard setters and Taunt users off guard with Magic Bounce. I use this lil guy as a lead, either rendering physical leads useless with Prankster Will-o-Wisp or crippling (sometimes even knocking out!) leads with Knock Off. Recover is there so M-Sableye doesn’t die immediately, and Protect lets it scout out moves.

Here are some replays of my team in action:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1061867977
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1061875411
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1061889457
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1063497318
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1063505769

Art credits:
Heatran - 29steph5, Deviantart
Toxapex - PaperCactus, Deviantart
Tapu Bulu - Satoshi Shiroi, Pokémon TCG illustrator
Gliscor - Hajime Kusajima, Pokémon TCG illustrator
Chansey - MAHOU, Pokémon TCG illustrator
M-Sableye - Sofia Rojas Camus, ArtStation

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)