Luvdisc (Gen 4, Choice Specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original Anaysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/luvdisc

Luvdisc is often joked about so I looked at it more closely and found that it wouldn't be too bad with Choice Specs. Luvdisc is the second fastest Swift Swimmer in NU which makes it a reliable revenge killer on Rain Dance teams.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Hidden Power Electric
move 4: Brine
item: Choice Specs
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It is no secret that Luvdisc is widely considered as one of the worst fully evolved Pokemon of all time. If you decide to take the challenge of using one on your NU team, then this set will allow it to cause the most damage possible. With Choice Specs, Luvdisc can reach the somewhat respectable Special Attack stat of 294. Rain support is highly recommended as it will further boost the power of your water type moves and doubles your speed through Luvdisc's ability, Swift Swim. Speed is not an issue. With rain active, Luvdisc reaches the amazing speed of 586 - the second highest of any Swift Swimmer in NU. This makes Luvdisc a somewhat effective revenge killer. </p>

<p>Surf will be your strongest attack against most opponents. Ice Beam allows you to hit grass and dragon types who resist your STAB moves. Hidden Power Electric helps you take down and water types who resist Surf and Ice Beam. Brine is an interesting move. Once your HP drops below 50%, it's base power doubles to 130, making it significantly stronger than Surf.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Not too much can switch into this Luvdisc safely (considering that it is a Luvdisc).With rain, Luvdisc can be surprisingly powerful. Shuckle will always be 2HKO'd by Brine once your HP drops below 50% or 3HKO'd by Surf in the rain. If you are brave/stupid enough to decide to take this into OU, then you will be glad to know that HP Electric will always OHKO offensive Gyarados with Stealth Rocks.</p>

<p> It would be stupid to make Luvdisc sound like the best revenge killer out there, but it is far from the worst. With rain support and Choice Specs, Luvdisc can make an impact. I won't make any promises to how big that impact is, but on an NU Rain Dance team, don't discount Luvdisc as a relatively potent revenge killer.</p>

No thank you. A Special Attack stat of 294 with Choice Specs, max Special Attack, and a Modest nature is absolutely horrendous. Despite Luvdisc's good Speed, it's pathetic, useless, weak, and outclassed. I would much, much rather use someone like Floatzel, who was higher Speed, higher offensive stats, and a better movepool. In fact, I would rather use any other common Swift Swimmer than Luvdisc.

I'm sorry, but this should not be considered at all.

Luvdisc is fast enough, but you're not hitting much with 40 base SpA. Swift Swim's POINT is to make Gorebyss and friends fast enough to sweep.

Besides, if you want a faster Swift Swimmer, Lumineon is 6 base points slower and has a very slight chance of killing something one day. Luvdisc is considered complete vomit for a reason.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah sorry, I don't see this set working at all. It's like a gimmick that is really really bad. The analysis also really isn't written well at all. So for these reasons and what Fuzznip said, I really don't think that this should be added to the Luvdisc analysis. If you're looking to contribute to Smogon, a SpecsDisc analysis is probably a bad place to start.

Yeah sorry, I don't see this set working at all. It's like a gimmick that is really really bad. The analysis also really isn't written well at all. So for these reasons and what Fuzznip said, I really don't think that this should be added to the Luvdisc analysis. If you're looking to contribute to Smogon, a SpecsDisc analysis is probably a bad place to start.

I have had a few analysis written before, but I took a good 7-8 month break from Pokemon since my last one.

I know it isn't good, but I think it is the best way to attempt to maximize Luvdisc. Compared to the other sets on the site, this one just seems to be the most viable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)