Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer [OU RMT]

INTRODUCTION

So I built this team a few weeks back and so far it's done amazingly well for me. So far it has a 45-7 record since I've begun keeping track (after the testing periods were over), and a few of those loses really should have been wins but a few were hax and some were just misplays. Kir, Justinawe and StevoDuhHero are three of the few who've actually beat this team legit head on, and for that congratulations you three. I must be honest, I love this team and I love the series I themed this RMT based around, since it just fits the team so well and since it's just a great read. Seriously, read it. This team actually started as a defensive synergy listing that turned into combos and cores and stuff and before I even realized it became a functioning and, quite frankly, good team. It incorporates strategies I've used before and know work (BaitTran + Suicune), strategies I've been told work by others (CM 3 Attacks Cune + ScarfTar from Kir), and others I've either observed or happened upon myself. What else is there to say? Enjoy the team!

Here's a brief overview of the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer story for those of you who don't plan to read it but want context:

The story is centered around Amamiya Yuuhi, a reclusive university student with a tortured past. One day he wakes up to a talking lizard in his bed named Noi Cresent.
Noi explains he is the lizard knight of the 12 beast knights, the group of whom are charged with the duty of fighting alongside the "princess", Asahina Samidare, against the mage's 12 golems to save the world from the mage's greatest weapon: The Biscuit Hammer. Should the Knights fail, the hammer will crush the world like a stale pastry. Unfortunately, Yuuhi doesn't exactly jump at the challenge and isn't the hero of justice Noi was hoping he would be. None of the characters are 2D; everyone has a story, a past, a motive, habits, dreams, friends, enemies, and many have love interests. I really do insist you read it if you can, it's quite a story and has very good implementation.

TYPE CHART

AT A GLANCE

|-
-|-
-|-
-|-
-|-
-|-
-|

A CLOSER LOOK

Azelf @ Leftovers *** Akane Taiyou, the Owl Knight
  • Levitate
  • 252 HP | 40 Atk | 216 Spe
  • Jolly Nature [+Speed, -Special Attack]
  • Moveset:
    • U-Turn - This move is what makes this set differ from a general Azelf lead set, other than the EVs-- The inclusion of U-Turn helps with scouting and hitting key enemies, like Tyranitar on the swap in, while maintaining momentum and assisting a little with stall.
    • Explosion - Explosion is a great move and great on Azelf. I use Explosion often when I find my check to a particular threat dead for some reason or if Azelf has served it's purpose and I just want to deal as much damage as possible. This is more often than not how Azelf dies and how I lose my first Pokemon.
    • Taunt - Taunt is a deviation from the original set I was given, taking the place of Fire Blast. Here, however, I like it's inclusion as it allows me to prevent EHs from many leads, and still not be quite as Skarmory weak.
    • Stealth Rock - A staple and must have move on any team, Azelf is my Stealth Rocker. An competitive battler can tell you this move will often deal 100-200% damage overall over the course of a match, often being the difference between victory and defeat. As such setting it up while preventing it's set up (via Taunt) is very valuable.

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

This slot was the last Pokemon to be added, replacing the original lead, Celebi. Celebi hadn't been working out, it left too great an opening for Skarmory to set up on, it was grounded and therefore Skarmory vulnerable, it wasn't a terribly reliable Rocker, and it couldn't prevent Entry Hazards. For this team, it didn't work out. So I tried to think of a lead that wasn't grounded, could set up SR, and wasn't Skarmory set up fodder while maintaining many of the key resistances and such that Celebi offered me. In fact, Azelf gives me the added bonus of no additional Ice weakness, which is helpful with Salamence on the team.
    [*]EVs & Nature:
    • 216 Speed and the Jolly nature give Azelf enough Speed to outrun base 110s, like Gengar or Latias, but makes it slower than opposing Azelf or Starmie so it can U-Turn after taking a hit to Tar or whoever so I don't risk taking a Hydro Pump or Explosion hitting them.
    • 252 HP allows Azelf to not be OHKOd by any attack by a common lead, this frees open his item slot for using Leftovers and makes U-Turn a more viable choice on him.
    • 40 Attack marginally increases the power of U-Turn and Explosion.

[*]Considered Changes

N/A
    [*]Lead Maneuvers:

• Metagross: Taunt turn 1, if they attempted to Rock or hit for less than 50% damage, Rock turn 2. If they attacked for more than 50% damage, swap to Heatran to take the Steel hit.
    • Azelf: U-Turn to Tyranitar.
    • Jirachi: Set up Rocks, if I get Tricked go to Heatran, if they set up, U-Turn out, if they U-Turn respond accordingly.
    • Swampert: Taunt turn 1, Rock turn 2, U-Turn or Explode turn 3 depending on their response to having been Taunted (attacking or swapping).
    • Aerodactyl: U-Turn to Suicune.
    • Infernape: 3 options: U-Turn to Salamence after taking the Fake Out, U-Turn to Suicune after taking the Fake Out, swap to Tyranitar immediately and Superpower for a OHKO.
    • Hippowdon: Taunt turn 1, Rock turn 2, play according to their response to being Taunted.
    • Bronzong: Taunt turn 1, Rock turn 2, play according to their response to being Taunted.
    • Ninjask: Taunt, if they protect Taunt again; if they Subbed, set up Rocks, if they attacked, swap to Heatran.
    • Tyranitar: U-Turn out to own Tyranitar, Suicune, or Jirachi.

[*]Character Correlation (series spoilers may be included, read at your own risk):

Akane Taiyou is a young, introverted knight who's secretly working for the mage, Animus. He hates the world (mainly due to neglect by his father in favor of his "new" family and the ire of his step-mother), and is out to assist the mage in destroying it and himself (Explosion), in addition his Owl Knight title and his small frame allow Azelf to manifest a slight physical description of him as well. Nearing the end of the series Taiyou seems to have a change of heart and flips back to the side of the Knights (U-Turn) after becoming the knight of the Furesburg, a mystical beast knight. He resembles and looks up to Yuuhi (Salamence)-- Azelf and Mence are both blue and are both immune to ground moves, they both have high speed and power as well as diverse movepools.

Heatran @ Wide Lens *** Kusakabe Tarou, the Mouse Knight
  • Flash Fire
  • 124 HP | 216 SpAtk | 168 Spe
  • Modest Nature [+Special Attack, -Attack]
  • Moveset:
    • Magma Storm - This move is the crux of the set and quite a fantastic move. Having the same base power as Fire Blast and being able to nullify Leftovers or deal and additional 1/16 of the opponent's HP per turn is great, especially coming off of Heatran's high special attack.
    • Hidden Power [Grass] - Hidden Power [Grass] makes life easier as it affords Hetran a way to hit bulky water types, in particular Swampert, who would swap in. Given ScarfTar I don't need much other Latias coverage with Dragon Pulse so this was changed.
    • Explosion - Heatran's own little killswitch, and the main way to remove Blissey in preparation for a Suicune, Jirachi, or Mence assault. Despite the modest nature, Heatran's Explosion deals significant damage and isn't to be taken lightly.
    • Taunt - This is a great support move for this set, not only in terms of it's utility against general stall (very helpful), but also because it prevents Blissey from Protecting against Heatran's Explosion thereby making it highly unlikely Heatran can waste it's turn and life Exploding.

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Heatran was actually one of the first three Pokemon added, alongside Celebi and Suicune, a trio that gave me a CeleTranWater trifecta of resistances. The set itself was decided on by me after I had figured out what all the Pokemon I was going to use were (save Azelf), as a way to suppliment Suicune, Mence, and Jirachi in their sweeping and whole punching endeavors by removing Latias and/or Blissey from the situation. HeaTrap, or BaitTran is a fantastic lure Pokemon and works amazingly well on this team. I use a Modest Nature because Explosion is still quite powerful and I can't afford to give up the bulk.
    [*]EVs & Nature:
    • 216 Special Attack EVs and the Modest nature allow hit a jump point after hitting the other key numbers.
    • 124 HP allow Tran to survive a Specs Latias Surf (almost all the time, it needs absolute max damage to KO) in order for said KO to occur.
    • 168 Speed allows Heatran to outrun Adamant Scizor and things that aim to outrun it by 1, like many Magnezone.

[*]Considered Changes

N/A, luff this set <33333
    [*]Character Correlation (series spoilers may be included, read at your own risk):

Kusakabe Tarou is a cowardly high schooler who lands a gig as the Mouse knight. He's a chef in training and his domain control revolves around creating fire. In addition, his final battle with the 9-eyes golem is almost the perfect representation of this Heatran set-- He tries to attract it's attention (Taunt) by hitting it with fire (Magma Storm), and when it attacks his childhood friend, Sorano Hanako (Suicune), he sacrifices himself and causes a large Explosion with the last of his energy before ultimately dying.

Suicune @ Leftovers *** Sorano Hanako, the Mantis Knight
  • Pressure
  • 24 HP | 216 Def | 252 SpAtk | 16 Spe
  • Bold Nature [+Defense, -Attack]
  • Moveset:
    • Surf - Suicune's STAB move and the main attacking move of the set.
    • Ice Beam - Suicune's main coverage move, hitting the majority of things that resist his powerful Surf-- namely the Dragon types and Grass types.
    • Hidden Power [Electric] - Suicune's secondary coverage move, and the move used least often overall is meant solely to hit other Water types for higher damage than the other two moves are able to.
    • Calm Mind - Suicune loves his Calm Mind. In fact it's on the vast majority of Suicune sets and with a few of these under it's belt Suicune is very dangerous.

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

As was stated in Heatran's passage, Suicune was one of the original members of the team and deciding on the set was possibly the easiest of the entire team...Well, next to Tyranitar. CM Suicune with 3 attacks absolutely wrecks so much of the metagame that it's not even funny, and those it doesn't are fairly easy to take out with the right support. Suicune acts as both a balancer Poke, tanking hits and such, as well as one of my two potential end-game sweepers along with Jirachi.
    [*]EVs & Nature:
    • 216 Def and the Bold nature give Suicune it's maximum physical bulk after the remaining EVs were distributed.
    • 252 Special Attack maximizes Suicune's damaging capacity both before and after set up.
    • 24 HP allows for the highest overall defense physically and slightly boosted special defensive ability.
    • 16 Speed allows Suicune to outrun 8 Speed Rotom-A.

[*]Considered Changes

N/A

Sorano Hanako is the fearless mantis knight and the childhood friend of Kusakabe Tarou (Heatran). After Tarou's sacrifice Hanako takes revenge for him, realizes only then how much he meant to her. She has a domain control centered around ice, complementary to Tarou's fire based ability, and mainly fights by making use of javilins she forms from the ice. Similarly to Hanako, Suicune takes up Heatran's sacrifice against Blissey and or Latias to give it an opening to sweep with it's array of moves, including Ice Beam.

Jirachi @ Leftovers *** Hakudou Yayoi, the Snake Knight
  • Serene Grace
  • 252 HP | 220 Def | 36 Spe
  • Bold Nature [+Defense, -Attack]
  • Moveset:
    • Flash Cannon - Jirachi's STAB move on this set, I prefer it to Psychic because of the threat opposing Tyranitar pose as well as it's ability to hit Pokemon like Latias for neutral damage.
    • Thunderbolt - Jirachi's supplmentary move, Thunderbolt allows it to hit most Water types and Steel types that resist Flash Cannon for neutral damage (the exceptions being Swampert, those that share his typing, Steelix, and Magnezone)-- Other than those listed only Electric types not named Zapdos resist this combination of moves.
    • Calm Mind - Like Suicune, Jirachi is centered around it's dual boosting move, Calm Mind. Like Suicune, once Blissey and Latias, one of the main Trick users, are gone thanks to Heatran, Jirachi generally has a decent chance at setting up and sweeping.
    • Wish - The fourth move is generally what distinguishes Jirachi sweeping sets. This move is almost exclusively Substitute or Wish and I have picked the latter for this Jirachi. Why? For one the team support is invaluable, with Salamence, ScarfTar, and a no recovery Suicune Wish support is very helpful. In addition the main thing Substitute protects against that Wish doesn't is Thunderwave and it's not a terribly common move anymore. Even if it was most abusers of it are killed via many of the team members or have "better" status to run (like Toxic or Will-O-Wisp).

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Jirachi seemed like a natural fit when I established a need for another sweeper who resisted Rock and could assist/make use of the assistance provided by the other teammates-- Jirachi was the last member prior to Azelf selected and has been the MVP of about half my matches. It's just so helpful!
    [*]EVs & Nature:
    • 220 Defense and the Bold nature give Jirachi as much physical defense as possible after the other EVs have been distributed.
    • 252 HP Maximizes my overall defenses in a single stat.
    • 36 Speed allows Jirachi to outrun maximum speed Tyranitar.

[*]Considered Changes

N/A

Hakudou Yayoi is the snake knight and a very interesting person-- First seen being defended from a golem by Yuuhi (Salamence), she seems to be insignificant, but she is the first to discover Yuuhi and Samidare's (Tyranitar) true ambitions of world destruction. She grows to love Yuuhi, and is Samidare's main rival in this subtle romance portion of the series. She is the Invisible, the second of the mystical beast knights, represented by the snake familiar, Shea, transforming into a powerful dragon-- while in the invisible state she has heightened offensive and defensive capabilities. She is often seen sporting a soft smile and used her contractual wish to ensure her family would die wearing smiles-- the thing she calls the greatest luxury on Earth.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf *** Asahina Samidare, the Princess
  • Sand Stream
  • 252 Atk | 6 SpDef | 252 Spe
  • Jolly Nature [+Speed, -Special Attack]
  • Moveset:
    • Crunch - Tyranitar's most reliable STAB and one of the main moves used by it, Crunch is a valuable means for damage.
    • Pursuit - Pursuit is a secondary Dark STAB useful due to it's side effect of doubling in power when an opponent swaps-- Due to this ability Tyranitar is a rather scary Pokemon to have come in on a Psychic or Ghost type.
    • Stone Edge - Tyranitar's most powerful STAB move and one that any Tyranitar would feel naked without-- hitting Flyers like Salamence and Gyarados for high damage is just plain good.
    • Superpower - The final move on this Tyranitar is Superpower, which excels for hitting Pokemon like Heatran, Blissey, Lucario, Machamp, etc for high damage despite them resisting Tyranitar's STAB moves.

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Tyranitar was natural as soon as I added Suicune. Scarf Tyranitar removes nearly all of CM Suicune's counters and threats handily while also being able to absorb Trick and Trap, two valuable abilities in terms of general strategy. Scarf Tyranitar's supporting ability is so great, some have even called for it to be banned to Ubers on the basis of the support characteristic outlined by Smogon.
    [*]EVs & Nature:
    • 252 Speed and the Jolly Nature allows Tyranitar to outrun positive base 115s (Starmie, Azelf, etc) with it's Scarf.
    • 252 Attack maximizes Tyranitar's damage output.
    • 6 SpDef marginally increases Tyranitar's ability to take random special hits, like Shadow Balls or Fire Blasts.

[*]Considered Changes

Earthquake > Superpower
    I lose out on easy Blissey killing, but I gain a more reliable coverage move in return.

Asahina Samidare is the "little devil" of a Princess the knights fight against the mage under. Her physical abilities are second to none, having crushed much of a mountain with a single punch before. Her speed is also quite extraordinary, being able to move in the blink of an eye. Samidare loves the world, but suffers from an illness that will almost assuredly kill her soon after the war ends and her powers leave her. To make the world she loves her own she has made it her goal to destroy it herself after stopping the mage's plot. She has enlisted Yuuhi (Salamence) in this effort as well, but keeps it a secret from others around her. She has a 'dark' side that speaks to Yuuhi in their dreams and shows her sinister intentions behind her trademark smile.

Salamence @ Life Orb *** Amamiya Yuuhi, the Lizard Knight
  • Intimidate
  • 6 Atk | 252 SpAtk | 252 Spe
  • Naive Nature [+Speed, -Special Defense]
  • Moveset:
    • Draco Meteor - What MixMence would be complete without the most powerful Dragon move in the game? One could even say it's the most powerful move in the game, given the Dragon type's fantastic neutral coverage and the shear damage this move can cause.
    • Fire Blast - Of course, the Dragon type is resisted by Steel, which is why Fire Blast makes an appearance here to mitigate that. But hitting Steel types for massive damage, Fire Blast paves the way for Draco Meteor's awesome damaging power to take real effect.
    • Earthquake - And of course should Draco Meteor have already been used or should Heatran come in, resisted both of Mence's other moves, we would require another attacking move t make us of. Enter Earthquake, a physical move not effected in terms of damage by Draco Meteor's stat drop and with Salamence's naturally high attack stat and Life Orb the little investment in attack does little to hinder it's power.
    • Roost - Longevity, hoooo! Salamence is often a Pokemon famed for it's burst power and it's instant deaths-- Roost attempts to help mitigate that by adding some much appreciated longevity to the giant lizard, although it doesn't get many opportunities to make use of it, sadly. Considering changing this to another physical attacking move, likely Dragon Claw.

[*]Why this Pokemon?:

Salamence was always a Pokemon I both feared and hated. Feared because I knew how good it was, and hated because I always seems to use it's power wrong. Well it seems to fit right at home here in this team, displaying the power that has made many players hail it as the number one Pokemon in OU right now. Jirachi and Salamence have been the MVPs of the vast majority of the games I've played, and Salamence will almost always get 2 kills if not more.
    [*]EVs & Nature:
    • 252 Speed and the Naive nature maximize Salamence's speed, as to not be caught losing to other base 100s outright. Forcing the speed tie helps against things like Jirachi and Flygon.
    • 252 Special Attack is to maximize Salamence's special attack damage output.
    • 6 Attack marginally increases Earthquake's damage output.

[*]Considered Changes

Dragon Claw > Roost
    I don't want Outrage because of Outrage locking being one of the most common methods of dealing with Mence, but an additonal physical STAB move would be helpful for when I've gotten the drop but neither Earthquake nor Fire Blast will do quite enough damage to the opponent. Still debating this.

Amamiya Yuuhi is a twisted college student with a surprisingly tragic past. He is Samidare's right hand and would do anything from lying, cheating, stealing and even killing to assist her in her goal to destroy the world. His warped past includes a detective father who was murdered by his colleague over drugs, a mother who abandoned him at the father's funeral and a grandfather who for ten years physically and psychologically abused him with chains whenever he got close to someone as an extremely twisted form of "protection" from the evils of the world. While Yuuhi fails to become one of the mystical beast knights, he forms the most powerful domain control in the series, Babylon, which correlates to Salamence's position in OU (not legendary, but certainly not weaker than legendary). At the same time there's obviously the lizard connection and the bloodlust filled death glare Yuuhi shows occasionally mirrors Salamence's Intimidate ability quite well. Finally, his reliance on Samidare (Tyranitar) mirrors Mence's need for the removal of Latias, who scarf Tyranitar counters, and other threats that are dealt with via that partner.

THREAT LIST

Please note that many of the "dangerous" Pokemon are only for one set or are exaggerated because in key conditions they can be more than a nuisance. Gliscor is Red because a single set is dangerous, other than that set he's easily dealt with. On a, say, 5 step scale most of these Pokemon would be on the second tier if 5 was a death sentence-- Toxic Gliscor would be third or fourth tier.

RED means if not dealt with properly it could sweep or wall my entire team.
ORANGE means it may require a sacrifice to deal with, but not generally.
GREEN means it's simple to deal with and nothing should die or come close.

Abomasnow: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Aerodactyl: Azelf, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar
Azelf: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Tyranitar
Blissey: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence (to an extent)
Breloom: Azelf, Tyranitar, Salamence
Bronzong: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Salamence
Celebi: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Cresselia: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence (to an extent)
Dragonite: Azelf, Suicune, Tyranitar, Salamence
Dusknoir: Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Electivire: Azelf, tyranitar Salamence
Empoleon: Azelf, Suicune (depending on moves), Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence (depending on moves)
Flygon: Azelf (if stuck on EQ or not Scarf), Suicune, Tyranitar (if stuck on non-SE move or not Scarf), Salamence (if not Scarf)
Forretress: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Salamence
Froslass: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Tyranitar
Gengar: Heatran (depending on set), Suicune (depending on set), Jirachi, Tyranitar
Gliscor: Azelf, Suicune, Salamence; Toxic variations are a major threat
Gyarados: Azelf, Heatran (if it lacks EQ and LO), Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Heatran: Suicune, Tyranitar, Salamence
Heracross: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Hippowdon: Azelf, Suicune, Salamence
Infernape: Azelf, Suicune, Tyranitar, Salamence
Jirachi: Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Salamence
Jolteon: Azelf (if it lacks Shadow Ball), Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar
Kingdra: Azelf, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Latias: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar
Lucario: Azelf, Suicune, Jirachi (to an extent), Tyranitar, Salamence
Machamp: Azelf, Heatran, Salamence
Magnezone: Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Mamoswine: Azelf, Heatran (if Choice), Suicune, Jirachi (if Choice), Tyranitar, Salamence
Metagross: Heatran, Suicune, Salamence
Ninjask: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Porygon-2: Azelf, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Raikou: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence (if HP [Grass])
Registeel: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Roserade: Azelf, Heatran (without HP [Ground]), Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Rotom (all formes): Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Salamence: Azelf, Suicune, Tyranitar, Salamence
Scizor: Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Salamence
Skarmory: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Salamence
Smeargle: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Snorlax: Azelf, Heatran, Tyranitar, Salamence
Starmie: Azelf, Jirachi, Tyranitar
Suicune: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar (to an extent), Salamence (to an extent)
Swampert: Azelf, Suicune, Salamence (to an extent)
Tentacruel: Azelf, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Togekiss: Azelf, Heatran, Suicune, jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence
Tyranitar: Azelf (non-Scarf), Heatran (caught on Dark move), Suicune, Jirachi (stuck on Stone Edge or Pursuit or non-Scarf), Tyranitar (stuck on Dark move or non-Scarf), Salamence
Vaporeon: Azelf, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar (to an extent), Salamence
Weavile: Heatran, Suicune, Jirachi, Tyranitar
Zapdos: Azelf, Heatran, Jirachi, Tyranitar, Salamence

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, has a touch of originality as well which is always cool to see! Actually, this team looks ridiculously similar to Philip's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, which is a great team. Anyway, I think that your team could really benefit from changing Azelf's set to a Dual Screen Azelf. Calm Mind Wish Jirachi and Calm Mind + 3 Attacks Suicune are both almost invincible from my personal experience when they have dual screen support; they are both very bulky now, so with some screens to protect them, they suddenly are able to set up on almost anything. Use a set of Reflect | Light Screen | Stealth Rock | Explosion, an EV spread of 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 Spe, and a Jolly nature with the item Light Clay. The only potential problem I can see with you using this set is that you miss out on Taunt, which in turn makes you more prone to Skarmory leads; however, you have Heatran, who can switch in on Skarmory while it is Spiking and then proceed to spam Magma Storm. Overall I think that the inability to beat Skarmory is a low price to pay when considering the ways your team could benefit from this set.

Something that is worrying for your team is its lack of a resistance to Electric-type attacks. This means that Rotom-A and Jolteon can spam their STAB Thunderbolts all day, and not have to worry about something like Swampert coming in to stop them. Also, it opens you up somewhat to basically any Electric-type move, as with no solid resist you have a tough time switching in on the move, particularly if the opponent has managed to get a few layers of Spikes down. I think that your best bet would be to replace Tyranitar with a Scarf Magnezone: Scarf Magnezone rounds out your team synergy wonderfully, giving you two resistances to every attacking type in the game (barring Electric). Scarf Magnezone can also still check Lucario and friends well. Use a set of Thunderbolt | Hidden Power Ice | Flash Cannon | Explosion, an EV spread of 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe, and a Naive nature with the ability Magnet Pull. The main reason I say to replace Tyranitar is because he seems the most replaceable on your team; if there is another Pokemon who you think should go instead, however, then feel free to replace them.

So I'm not quite sure about your Suicune EV spread. While I see where you're coming from with the whole "lets bulky him" sort of thing, its pretty redundant actually, because you already have 252 HP/220 Def Calm Mind Wish Jirachi to soak up physical hits all day. I really think that a more simple sweeper spread of 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe and a Timid nature could be used instead; it allows you to be just as hard of a hitter as your current set is, while also being able to outspeed threats, most notably Adamant Lucario iirc.

I would like to pitch in that I agree with Snorlaxe's thought on the Azelf. The first thing that came to mind was that Azelf just doesn't fit. The overall style and play of your team is bulky self-supporters. A Dual Screen Azelf still gives you Stealth Rock still, but he can do much more for dangerous pokemon like CM Jirachi/Suicune and MixMence. You try to make Azelf fit into that bulky supporter role with the 252 HP, UTurn/Taunt type setup, but in the end that is just looks pretty gimmicky and doesn't do much for your team other than set up rocks. There are much better option to support your team that can utilize a supporting stealth rocker set, but something like a Dual Screen Azelf would help your team out a lot by fitting that role now.

I don't have time to do a full rate right now but just a minor nitpick: use this EV spread for your Jirachi 236 HP / 232 Def / 40 Spe.

40 not only outruns Tyranitar, but also many other defensive mons trying to do the same. Most notably Zapdos, because that extra CM you'll be able to grab before the Heat Wave is vital to beating it. 236 HP yields a Leftovers number. Bulk-wise, Swampert and Gliscor's Earthquakes do not do more damage really nor does anything else afaik.

Cool team, has a touch of originality as well which is always cool to see! Actually, this team looks ridiculously similar to Philip's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, which is a great team. Anyway, I think that your team could really benefit from changing Azelf's set to a Dual Screen Azelf. Calm Mind Wish Jirachi and Calm Mind + 3 Attacks Suicune are both almost invincible from my personal experience when they have dual screen support; they are both very bulky now, so with some screens to protect them, they suddenly are able to set up on almost anything. Use a set of Reflect | Light Screen | Stealth Rock | Explosion, an EV spread of 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 Spe, and a Jolly nature with the item Light Clay. The only potential problem I can see with you using this set is that you miss out on Taunt, which in turn makes you more prone to Skarmory leads; however, you have Heatran, who can switch in on Skarmory while it is Spiking and then proceed to spam Magma Storm. Overall I think that the inability to beat Skarmory is a low price to pay when considering the ways your team could benefit from this set.
Thanks for the rate! I also noticed some similarities to Philip's team after I built this, but I feel that there are key differences in the implementation of the team as well as the core strategy being used (his revolved entirely around Salamence, whereas mine revolves more about the CMing pair) that make them quite easy to distinguish.
Now there are a few things I feel I must disagree with in your rate, but I want to do so as non-aggressively as possible -- I just got home from work and am in no mood for any sort of internet drama, not that you'd be one to start some but Murphy's Law and all that.
The first thing is Azelf's set change; Hetran swapping in means Skarmory is setting up on the swap each time, my team has 4 grounded Pokemon and the only reason I'm not particularly Skarm vulnerable right now is because of access to Taunt on Azelf. Should Azelf become set up fodder in place of a preventative Pokemon Skarmory becomes a much bigger issue, and I'm not very comfortable with that. Taunt is quite vital to this team while Dual Screens (which are always nice to fit in somewhere) are something I would consider a perk.

Something that is worrying for your team is its lack of a resistance to Electric-type attacks. This means that Rotom-A and Jolteon can spam their STAB Thunderbolts all day, and not have to worry about something like Swampert coming in to stop them. Also, it opens you up somewhat to basically any Electric-type move, as with no solid resist you have a tough time switching in on the move, particularly if the opponent has managed to get a few layers of Spikes down. I think that your best bet would be to replace Tyranitar with a Scarf Magnezone: Scarf Magnezone rounds out your team synergy wonderfully, giving you two resistances to every attacking type in the game (barring Electric). Scarf Magnezone can also still check Lucario and friends well. Use a set of Thunderbolt | Hidden Power Ice | Flash Cannon | Explosion, an EV spread of 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe, and a Naive nature with the ability Magnet Pull. The main reason I say to replace Tyranitar is because he seems the most replaceable on your team; if there is another Pokemon who you think should go instead, however, then feel free to replace them.
As for this paragraph, I have a few things to dispute here as well. For one, ScarfTar is almost the least replaceable member of the team as his pairing with Heatran is what prevents my CMers from being Trick vulnerable and they both help deal with Latias, Rotom, and Blissey -- the three main pains for sweeping with either Suicune or Jirachi.

You mention me having no electric type resist, which is true, but I’m not sold on the suggestion of ScarfZone. Out of the threats you mentioned, Rotom-A are swiftly trapped and killed by ScarfTar, so I don’t see them causing too much trouble. You’re right that Jolteon (Specs in particular) poses a problem, and I’ll likely have to sacrifice something in order to work Tar in and Pursuit it. However, I don’t really see how Scarf Magnezone fixes this problem—just like ScarfTar, ScarfZone is outsped by Jolteon and actually takes more damage from Thunderbolt than Tyranitar does (44.8% - 52.7% vs. 40.4% - 47.7%). In addition, while ScarfTar has some effective tools to fight back and KO Jolteon with, ScarfZone can’t really touch it outside of Hidden Power Ice (which only deals 29.5% - 35.1%) or Explosion. Neither of these pokemon is really ideal for stopping something like Jolteon, but I actually believe ScarfTar does a better job of it than ScarfZone. In addition, ScarfZone has to Explode on Blissey swap ins the break it while Tyranitar just needs to Superpower or Stone Edge Blissey into submission, making it even more difficult for Jirachi or Suicune to potentially sweep.

So I'm not quite sure about your Suicune EV spread. While I see where you're coming from with the whole "lets bulky him" sort of thing, its pretty redundant actually, because you already have 252 HP/220 Def Calm Mind Wish Jirachi to soak up physical hits all day. I really think that a more simple sweeper spread of 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe and a Timid nature could be used instead; it allows you to be just as hard of a hitter as your current set is, while also being able to outspeed threats, most notably Adamant Lucario iirc.
My main problems with this statement are philosophical, so it's just an opinion thing, but I personally never like leaving Suicune without his trusty bulk. I feel running speed on him is a bit of a waste since he doesn't need it as much as things like Lucario or Infernape do. I’ve found the bulk useful for tanking priority moves like Lucario's Extremespeed better or taking hits from Pokemon he isn't OHKOing, like CB Scizor's U-Turn. IMO the utility the bulk offers him as a tank outweighs what the speed would offer, but I will definitely test this change as my reservations are solely based on theorymon. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I don't have time to do a full rate right now but just a minor nitpick: use this EV spread for your Jirachi 236 HP / 232 Def / 40 Spe.

40 not only outruns Tyranitar, but also many other defensive mons trying to do the same. Most notably Zapdos, because that extra CM you'll be able to grab before the Heat Wave is vital to beating it. 236 HP yields a Leftovers number. Bulk-wise, Swampert and Gliscor's Earthquakes do not do more damage really nor does anything else afaik.
Thanks for the advice, it seems quite sound. I'll go ahead and test the new spread out.

@Gaborik: See my response to Snorlaxe's post.

Thanks everyone for your rates!

Hi,

Brilliantly (this doesn't sound like a word :/) laid out RMT.

I disagree with above posters above the Azelf set. It enables you to use U-turn that much more reliably. I can see it working for you so there is definetely no significant need to change it. The normal set with uturn could very possibly take a hit that leaves it at 1hp, uturning out then the opponent getting rocks up then obviously means Azelf isn't coming back.

I'm seconding that the Suicune set is changed. I find the 3 attack Suicune to be so much more effective with a faster spread. Outspeeding silly Adamant Lucario that think they are faster, yes please. Suicune does still love some bulk though so I'm going to get fully behind this spread 172hp/120spa/216spe. 216 spe handily outspeeds all base 80s with +speed. 172hp gives a lefties number and considerable bulk. the rest in spa. I've had alot of experience with this spread and it is such a nice blend of bulk and power.

Not having any form of recovery besides leftovers, Suicune appreciates possibly not having to take more hits than necessary.

I think you should just try this spread, you will soon know if that bulk is being missed.

Finally, have you tried brick break on your salamence instead of earthquake as it makes eliminating blissey that much easier (earthquake is only doing around 35% to max/max bold blissey) if Heatran has had to explode on something else. If you do this,superpower could then be changed to earthquake on tyranitar so no coverage is lost. I don't see Bliss staying in to take that Superpower either way. Just a thought.

Really nice team that has had alot of effort put into it. GJ.

Really nice team, bud. Here's the rate I promised. Sorry it's a bit late--I've been trying to figure out what to change for a long time, lol.

IIRC, Justin and I both beat you with Jolteon. His was Specs and mine was a LO attacker (still had Baton Pass to scout your switch-in). There's no denying that it is a problem, really. I can't find a way to fix this without disrupting the offensive synergy that makes this team great. I have a few suggestions though that should help with other things.

The first will probably seem gimmicky at first, but here me out.

Heatran @ leftovers
Modest - Flash Fire
252 HP / 56 SAtk / 204 SDef
- Lave Plume / [insert Fire STAB]
- Earth Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I got the idea from this team. This gives you a reliable switch into Thunder Wavers (something your team seriously hates atm), while maintaining the ability to beat Blissey through the burn rate of Lava Plume and Earth Power SDef drops. It can also check Jolteon better than your current set.

If you don't like my above idea, I suggest Hidden Power Grass over Dragon Pulse on your Magma Storm set. Swampert looks like he'd be a pain to switch into for this team, and Dragon Pulse doesn't seem necessary to me (you have Latias' greatest counter, ScarfTar, and other ways of beating it like CM Rachi, and Mence's EQ still does 84.6% - 100% despite Shuca).

Change Azelf's EVs to 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe (still Jolly). When facing a Starmie lead, you actually want to go last. You live the Hydro Pump, and can then U-turn out to ScarfTar, as opposed to risking ScarfTar getting hit with the boosted water attack. This speed investment puts you ahead of Latias, and hits a jump point.

I'm going to suggest keeping Suicune's bulk for one reason: DD Mence. You are going to need him to tank an Outrage in some tight spots, and he needs this bulk to do it. If you take some other raters' advice and use Timid with lots of speed, then definitely keep Dragon Pulse on Heatran so he can be the one to tank the Outrage and OHKO back. I think my way is better though ;-)

Great team, hope I helped.

I've playtested this team and wow.. it is just amazing. Heatran has been the star of my team so far. Magma storm and Taunt just shuts so many things down. Keep Azelf because it can usually keep SR off for a while so Salamence can come in. The only problem with the team is strong EQ users, probably why Gliscor is Red. With Azelf usually not alive, or close to death in the late game, and not wanting to send in Salamence half heartedly, it becomes difficult switching into EQ with three members being weak to it. One more flying, or levitating poke wouldnt hurt, just so its a bit easier to switch into.

Other wise, the team is amazing, its getting me back into competitive battling, thank you so much for posting this team.

I know my rate didnt really help because I wasnt able to patch up anything, I was just pointing out a weakness that maybe other, more experienced memeber of Smogon, could fix

Just wondering how long you usually keep Azelf around for because although this next reccomendation does infact add a further x4 weakness to ice and another to water...it adds a vital ground immunity + electric immunity. Keeping it around you can use it as a pivot of sorts. That lead is of course Gliscor. It has much more longevity than your Azelf imo, and even though it is adding to already existing type weaknesses, it still beats/prevents setup of leads that you wanted as far as I can see. Also covers up your orange Tyranitar threat.

A set of
Gliscor@leftovers
Jolly
252hp/252spe/4atk
earthquake
stealth rock
taunt
roost/uturn/(maybe toxic)

Just so you can at least tie with other Gliscor.

Could you explain a bit what Azelf usually does for you?How long does it stick around?What could it do that Gliscor couldn't etc.etc.etc.

Hi,

Brilliantly (this doesn't sound like a word :/) laid out RMT.

I disagree with above posters above the Azelf set. It enables you to use U-turn that much more reliably. I can see it working for you so there is definetely no significant need to change it. The normal set with uturn could very possibly take a hit that leaves it at 1hp, uturning out then the opponent getting rocks up then obviously means Azelf isn't coming back.

I'm seconding that the Suicune set is changed. I find the 3 attack Suicune to be so much more effective with a faster spread. Outspeeding silly Adamant Lucario that think they are faster, yes please. Suicune does still love some bulk though so I'm going to get fully behind this spread 172hp/120spa/216spe. 216 spe handily outspeeds all base 80s with +speed. 172hp gives a lefties number and considerable bulk. the rest in spa. I've had alot of experience with this spread and it is such a nice blend of bulk and power.

Not having any form of recovery besides leftovers, Suicune appreciates possibly not having to take more hits than necessary.

I think you should just try this spread, you will soon know if that bulk is being missed.

Finally, have you tried brick break on your salamence instead of earthquake as it makes eliminating blissey that much easier (earthquake is only doing around 35% to max/max bold blissey) if Heatran has had to explode on something else. If you do this,superpower could then be changed to earthquake on tyranitar so no coverage is lost. I don't see Bliss staying in to take that Superpower either way. Just a thought.

Really nice team that has had alot of effort put into it. GJ.

Just wondering how long you usually keep Azelf around for because although this next reccomendation does infact add a further x4 weakness to ice and another to water...it adds a vital ground immunity + electric immunity. Keeping it around you can use it as a pivot of sorts. That lead is of course Gliscor. It has much more longevity than your Azelf imo, and even though it is adding to already existing type weaknesses, it still beats/prevents setup of leads that you wanted as far as I can see. Also covers up your orange Tyranitar threat.

A set of
Gliscor@leftovers
Jolly
252hp/252spe/4atk
earthquake
stealth rock
taunt
roost/uturn/(maybe toxic)

Just so you can at least tie with other Gliscor.

Could you explain a bit what Azelf usually does for you?How long does it stick around?What could it do that Gliscor couldn't etc.etc.etc.
I have begun to test the Suicune alternate spread and it may be just out of habit but I'm finding it more difficult to set up to sweep -- since I normally rely on Suicune's bulk to achieve this. Sadly with your spread I don't lose much overall bulk (I lose quite a bit physically, but meh) but I lose a lot of power. SpDef Skarm can now phaze me without as much fear of being finished by whatever gets sent in, or can set up a layer or two of Spikes while Roosting against me if I'm below +2. I dunno, so far I'm not a fan of the change, but I'll keep trying it since it may be me trying to play it like my current set.

About Salamence, yeah I've tried it. It didn't work out so well, it's barely doing enough to Blissey to justify it's use when compared to the lesser damage it's doing to Jirachi and Heatran when compared to Earthquake. Blissey hasn't really been a problem either way, though, with Heatran, Azelf, Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Mence all being able to either beat it outright or at least do substantial damage to it. I'm not worried about Blissey at all despite this team supporting Special Sweepers.

I combined your posts into one so I don't need to break it up, hope you don't mind that the context is slightly off.

I actually normally play Azelf surprisingly conservatively. I state that it's normally my first Pokemon to die via Explosion, but I rarely go off with it until ~mid-game. Once I've seen around 3-4 Pokemon on my opponent's team and can determine a worthy target for Explosion. I don't want to waste it because it's a valuable way to correct a misplay where I lose something like Tar or Tran or Mence and therefore my counter or check to another Pokemon.

I'll test Gliscor, but at the moment I'm leaning towards keeping Azelf for 2 main reasons. As stated above, Azelf's Explosion is incredibly valuable to me. Explosion coming off 125 base attack and 115 base speed is amazing and great for dealing with random threats that may pop up. The second reason is the fast Taunt/U-Turn. Keeping Rocks off the ground early game is very valuable to me and it's helpful in terms of Mence's implementation. In addtion it helps me against things like Swampert who can't OHKO me wth any attack so I don't risk anything by Taunting, which I would by Taunting with Gliscor. Outspeeding Infernape is another great boon, since I can U-Turn to break a Sash and go to Salamence or Suicune to take a Fire Blast before KOing in return. I absolutely will test Gliscor, though, since the Electric resist would help me a ton with Specs Jolteon and even LO Jolteon since it would mean another turn of Sand Damage it has to deal with. And best of all, it doesn't screw up the theme of them team! <3

Thanks for the rate(s)! I'm glad to see someone taking an interest in the team, lol.

Really nice team, bud. Here's the rate I promised. Sorry it's a bit late--I've been trying to figure out what to change for a long time, lol.

IIRC, Justin and I both beat you with Jolteon. His was Specs and mine was a LO attacker (still had Baton Pass to scout your switch-in). There's no denying that it is a problem, really. I can't find a way to fix this without disrupting the offensive synergy that makes this team great. I have a few suggestions though that should help with other things.

The first will probably seem gimmicky at first, but here me out.

Heatran @ leftovers
Modest - Flash Fire
252 HP / 56 SAtk / 204 SDef
- Lave Plume / [insert Fire STAB]
- Earth Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I got the idea from this team. This gives you a reliable switch into Thunder Wavers (something your team seriously hates atm), while maintaining the ability to beat Blissey through the burn rate of Lava Plume and Earth Power SDef drops. It can also check Jolteon better than your current set.

If you don't like my above idea, I suggest Hidden Power Grass over Dragon Pulse on your Magma Storm set. Swampert looks like he'd be a pain to switch into for this team, and Dragon Pulse doesn't seem necessary to me (you have Latias' greatest counter, ScarfTar, and other ways of beating it like CM Rachi, and Mence's EQ still does 84.6% - 100% despite Shuca).

Change Azelf's EVs to 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe (still Jolly). When facing a Starmie lead, you actually want to go last. You live the Hydro Pump, and can then U-turn out to ScarfTar, as opposed to risking ScarfTar getting hit with the boosted water attack. This speed investment puts you ahead of Latias, and hits a jump point.

I'm going to suggest keeping Suicune's bulk for one reason: DD Mence. You are going to need him to tank an Outrage in some tight spots, and he needs this bulk to do it. If you take some other raters' advice and use Timid with lots of speed, then definitely keep Dragon Pulse on Heatran so he can be the one to tank the Outrage and OHKO back. I think my way is better though ;-)

Great team, hope I helped.
Yeah, Jolteon's a toughy for this team especially with Baton Pass and correct team support. If I waste my methods of beating it early, as I did against you and Justin, it's difficult to come out on top against it. Also note that StevoDuhHero beat me with Toxic Gliscor -- This team has only lost to hax or things it's outright weak to. :P

As for your Tran sugestion, I'm skeptical about the set you sugges not only in general, but most for this team -- Without teapping ability it can't remove Latias and Blissey as efficiently, and I still retain an inability to combat bulky waters. However, the change to HP Grass is something I'm quite honestly considering and will for sure test, since Pert has been a bit of a pain in the butt for Tran/Tar to deal with and only Suicune of my Pokes sweeps through it. In actuality Azelf or Salamence are the main Pokemon that end up beating it.

Okeydokey on Azelf's EVs. You made the set so I'mma listen to you. :P

Yeah, that's another reason I want to retain Suicune's spread, Mence and Gyara. Without the bulk Suicune has a tougher time dealing with them in a pinch and without the power HP Elec doesn't OHKO Gyarados at +0. So that's another issue for me.

Thanks for the rate!

I've playtested this team and wow.. it is just amazing. Heatran has been the star of my team so far. Magma storm and Taunt just shuts so many things down. Keep Azelf because it can usually keep SR off for a while so Salamence can come in. The only problem with the team is strong EQ users, probably why Gliscor is Red. With Azelf usually not alive, or close to death in the late game, and not wanting to send in Salamence half heartedly, it becomes difficult switching into EQ with three members being weak to it. One more flying, or levitating poke wouldnt hurt, just so its a bit easier to switch into.

Other wise, the team is amazing, its getting me back into competitive battling, thank you so much for posting this team.

I know my rate didnt really help because I wasnt able to patch up anything, I was just pointing out a weakness that maybe other, more experienced memeber of Smogon, could fix
Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you enjoy the team. Gotta love HeaTrap/BaitTran. Gliscor is actually red because Toxicing variants can be trouble -- he comes in on Tyranitar or Heatran and forces me out to Suicune or Mence, my best two answers to it. Should it Toxic either of them are now both unable to sweep and on a timer for how long they can stick around. Next time Gliscor comes in, it just spams EQ/Stone Edge and Suicune or Mence can be toast in just a few turns. That's the main issue with Gliscor. Conservatively played Toxic Gliscor, lol.

Just a few things I wanna note, this won't be long.

Firstly, you have nothing on this team that can take on Mixmence. Every Pokemon you have cannot take a hit from subsequent attacks barring Tyranitar because it's faster. Conflict posted a better EV spread in another RMT thread, so I'll just use it here as well. 248 HP / 86 Def / 140 SDef / 36 Spd. Apparently with this spread, Salamence has little chance of 2HKOing you with Draco Meteor + Earthquake, meaning you can Wish HP to something like Suicune.

OK minor note one: Why are you running Dragon Pulse on Heatran when you already have Scarftar to take care of Latias? Run Earth Power, better coverage and almost a necessity on all Heatran sets.

Note 2: I would consider Brick Break over Earthquake on Salamence to complete the type-coverage Classic Mixmence gets. Brick Break hits Tyranitar and Blissey harder, and still maintains super effective coverage on Heatran. Just a personal preference here, so consider it.

248 HP / 86 Def / 140 SDef / 36 Spd. Apparently with this spread, Salamence has little chance of 2HKOing you with Draco Meteor + Earthquake, meaning you can Wish HP to something like Suicune.
I don't really get where you are coming from here. Assuming stealth rock, Jirachi is never 2hkoed with the standard spread by Draco Meteor + Earthquake, however, THAT spread has a chance to be 2HKO. Please correct me I'm wrong but this is what I get assuming Naive 240Spec.Atk Salamence (i've taken this one because if it isn't max speed a switch to Ciarans Mence can be made on the earthquake and then outspeed):

248HP/86Def/140SDef

Draco Meteor 28.3% - 33.5%

Earthquake 51.1% - 60.5%

Max damage rolls = 33.5 + 60.5 = 94% (2HKO if max damage both times+SR)

252HP/220Def

Draco Meteor 32.4% - 38.1%

Earthquake 44.6% - 53%

Max damage rolls = 38.1 + 53 = 91.1% (never a 2HKO with SR)

Like I said, please point out where I'm wrong if so. If not, Current EVs win!

Team is Raikou weak ^^ just Tar needs to be gone for an almost completely risk free sweep. It just needs 1 CM which it can easily get from Suicune/Jirachi. I'm not going to try to fix this because like MixMence I believe it is going to become one of those monsters that is going to wreck things. Just want you to be aware of it really (it doesn't even need aura sphere for this team, just a way to get rid of Tyranitar)

Well I was just quoting a post by Conflict. I didn't double check his EV's at all, so if there's any fault its not my fault haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)