Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 248 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power/Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

While Venusaur is the #1 special Chlorophyll sweeper, Sawsbuck can be equally as dangerous on the physical side. After 1 Swords Dance under the sun, it reaches an unbelievable 654 attack and 526 speed. That pretty much means if you give it a free turn, you will be hurt - even the fastest common scarfer, a scarfed Lati will be outsped and OHKOed by Return. I personally prefer Jump Kick to Nature Power since it allows Sawsbuck to finish off a a weakened Skarmory and OHKO Ferrothorn at +2 after a bit of prior damage. All Sawsbuck needs to sweep is 3 things. The sun, priority users dead, and 1 free turn. Sawsbuck also doubles as a great utility for weather wars.

248+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 252-299 (65.62 - 77.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

248+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Jump Kick vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 478-567 (123.83 - 146.89%) -- guaranteed OHKO

248+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 187-221 (44.52 - 52.61%) -- 23.44% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You don't even need to wait for the weather war to be won to start sweeping with Sawsbuck. If one of the opposing weather starts comes in to cut Sawsbuck speed, they're still going to be outsped and taking massive damage. Don't underestimate Sawsbuck; it's no Venusaur, but it's no Sunflora either.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Double Edge is also a good option on Sawsbuck over Return, since, though you take a buttload of recoil damage, you can OHKO Latios, Dragonite, Salamence, Keldeo (after 2 SR switch-ins), and other prominent Scarfers without having to be at +2. Return misses the OHKO on all of these.

@ShootinStarmie

I like the suggestion, although I think the slashing needs some work:

-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
-Stun Spore / Hidden Power Ice (or whatever)

Amoonguss pretty much needs Clear Smog or else it cannot combat Breloom effectively, the only time I wouldn't use Clear Smog, is if I was using Sludge Bomb, as it just 1HKOs Breloom anyway. The 4th slot is just filler, so whatever.

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
Naive Nature (-SpD,+Spe)
Evs: 28 Atk / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Close Combat
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Volt Switch
~ Stealth Rock / Thunder-Wave

The last used musketeers but still a really fun pokemon to play in today's metagame. Cobalion act as a nice pivot and a Stealth rock user, he keeps the momentum with volt switch and can do some damage to a switching Skarmory to finish him later. With this Spread, Cobalion can do the following damages :
  • Hidden Power Ice vs. 252/0 Gliscor 100.28 - 119.2%
  • Hidden Power Ice vs. 200/0 Landorus-T 102.71 - 120.86%
  • Hidden Power Ice vs. 0/4 Dragonite (without Multiscale) 86.06 - 102.47%
  • Hidden Power Ice vs. 0/0- Salamence 114.5 - 134.74%
  • Hidden Power Ice vs. 4/0 Breloom 80.53 - 95.41%
  • Volt Switch vs. 56/0 Gyarados 82.02 - 97.39%
  • Volt Switch vs. 252/0 Skarmory 56.88 - 66.76%
  • Volt Switch vs. 0/4 Starmie 62.45 - 74.32%
  • Close Combat vs. 4/252 Blissey 88.65 - 104.9%
  • Close Combat vs. 4/0 Terrakion 100 - 117.9%
  • Close Combat vs. 0/0 Heatran 86.99 - 102.47%
Notice that he can be a fantastic partner for a Terrakion or Lucario sweep, wrecking most of their checks / counter and giving them the really important Stealth Rock. If you already got a Pokemon to do that, you can use thunder-wave to cripple some of Cobalion's check like Lati@s, Latios or Gengar ( the last one is kinda important for Lucario's 4 slot, the choice between bullet punch and crunch is usually hard )

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
@

Trait: Synchronize
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

I once underestimated this set, but ever since I tried it a few times; I've gotten a better understand about how this thing works. It's a perfect offense lead if you want to beat those Skarm / Smear / Forrey's that carry the Spikes / SR, and it has the additional psychic typing (it can burn spinner leads and explode on them to prevent spinning too!). While at a glance Azelf looks to outclass Mew; Mew's overall better bulk is sometimes preferred and so it has enough merit to warrant a slot on your team depending on what your team is weak against (hey; Mew can come in and sponge a SS from Keldeo if you keep it around late game and it equally lures Scizor and TTar and burns them so your precious Keldeo checks are safely switching out from piss weak Pursuits. Azelf isn't a good match up against TTar (although it can FB Scizor, but then if its under rain its eh). Anyway, Mew is also good for those anti-Skarm leads like Jirachi or KyuB or Rotom-W imo since it isn't bothered by them, especially with the Synchronize to bounce back the "WoW and attack" tactic Rotom-W and Ninetales do to Skarm (since you outpace these heathens).

Ultimately; for HO, there is a lot of competition for the hazard lead slot, from Skarm, Smeargle, Forrey, Mew, Azelf, to Aerodactyl, Heatran (Timid Tran with Taunt is pretty neat), Mamoswine, etc. I feel that Mew has enough of a niche on it's own to warrant at least a consideration on your team since it can patch up weakneses that none of the other entry leads can perform.

I highly recommend having an anti-Taunt Terrakion lead if you do decide to use Mew, as well as pairing Mew with things that appreciate it's ability to WoW Scizor and Tyranitar. Equally, Mew does a decent job against Sash Breloom as well (considering you play correctly) and so Mew finds itself standing out in the role of hazard lead.

I'll probably post more underrated sets later, but I'll keep this one up for now.

I'm surprised no one has posted Xatu yet. Xatu has a huge niche in the OU metagame as one of only two magic bouncers sharing it's role only with Espeon. However unlike Espeon, I have found Xatu to be a much more reliable magic bouncer who can continue to do it's job throughout the match thanks to it's better typing, more reliable recovery, and utility.

Xatu @Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
[Impish] Nature
- U-Turn
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

One of the biggest advantages Xatu has over Espeon is it's Flying typing. Thanks to it's extremely useful Ground Immunity, Xatu has a much easier time bouncing rocks from the likes of Hippowdon, Donphan, Dugtrio, and to a lesser extent Landorus-T (must be wary of stone edge on the switch in) all of which Espeon can have trouble switching in on as it's low defense can't take an Earthquake (or Landorus's U-turn). Xatu also happens to be a perfect counter to Subprotect Gliscor being immune to EQ and Toxic as well as Breloom taking nothing from Mach Punch, little from Bullet Seed, and being immune to Spore. While one may think Xatu's lower speed is a hinderance compared to Espeon, it actually helps it take Gyroballs like a champ from Ferrothorn and Bronzong who would be dealing 68%+ to Espeon. Xatu of course also has no problem bouncing off of Skarmory and Forretress or absorbing Status or Seismic Tosses from Blissey and Chansey which could wear down Espeon's much less reliable recovery. However one of the most interesting things about the set listed above is that it is actually a great lure for Tyranitar and Scizor, crippling it with Thunder Wave on the switch in and proceeding to setup Reflect taking only 31-37% from Ttar's Choice Band Pursuit, at which point it can roost off damage until it is safe to U-Turn to a counter (after it has been fully paralyzed). Xatu can also bounce off of an obvious Sash Mamoswine, being able to take an ice shard (even on the switch), set up reflect, and then roost off the damage as well as being immune to EQ and not caring about Endeavor while it breaks it's sash with U-Turn. Xatu cannot however take on offensive Mamoswine and you should be sure that it is a focus sash lead before attempting to bounce against it (usually easily identified by team preview). While shaky, Xatu can also be a decent check to Venusaur being able to take anything at +2 sans Sludge Bomb and cripple it with T-Wave removing it's precious speed. It should be noted that Xatu cannot bounce rocks from Terrakion or Garchomp for fear of Stone Edge and Swords Dance respectively.

While this Xatu offers zero offensive output of it's own it is an incredibly good pivot absorbing status, bouncing hazards, spreading paralysis incredibly easily due to the switches it causes, support in the form of Reflect and momentum via U-Turn. This Xatu works especially well on slower teams that appreciate the speed drop from Thunder Wave and any team that needs a reliable bouncer to keep hazards off the field. Xatu appreciates a strong special tank/wall to take on the Ice Beams, Thunders/Bolts, Shadowballs, and Water attacks that it draws in preying on it's weaker special defense. SpD Rest Rotom can do this job marvelously fearing only choice specs Thunders from the likes of Thunderus-T and Jolteon.

Last edited:
Remember this guy? I practically invented this set stole if from the smogon analysis page, it's a fucking ditto what else can you do?

Ditto@Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: Check this table to choose Hidden Power, preferably HP Ice/Grass/Electric
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/hiddenpower_combos#lonely

-Transform Nothing really

Alright, maximum HP investment because Ditto doesn't like copying if for some reason, ability is auto transform, choice scarf because...have you seen the HP part? This pokemon is literally a set-up offensive mons worst night mare, especially to Dragons, copying boosts at the best and making your opponent play safe at the worst.

Edit: Thanks Shurt, Hal

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Honestly, I think HP Ice would be the way to go with Ditto. The things that you're going to be transforming into that use Hidden Power (Venusaur, Thundurus-T, Latios, etc.) are almost all going to be hit harder by HP Ice than HP Grass or HP Fire. The only things that use Hidden Power that won't be hit harder by Ice are Keldeo, Heatran, and Magnezone (off the top of my head). But of those three, onl Magnezone would be reliant on Hidden Power to hit itself, since Keldoe has Secret Sword, and Heatran has Earth Power. Also, why would you minimize attack? Speed I get because you will win the struggle contest against other Ditto, but attack? Since you're likely transforming into Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, or whatever that have set up, why would you minimize your attack?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah Ditto makes offensive teams struggle to set up anything; since they either have to have enough bulk t live their own hit (and have a priority move under it's arsenal so it's a 50 / 50 does your opponents ditto Espeed Dnite or Outrage predicting your Outrage since Espeed might not KO) OR you just don't set up at all (which is what usually happens).

I would think Ditto would be a common team player on those stall teams that can't afford to have opposing X set up on them (like NP ThundyT) and at the same time they might not be able to use Quaggy.

As for the Hidden Power slot, I'd agree with going for Ice. (30 / 30)

EDIT: also, I hate PS suggested EVs

Victini@Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EV's: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Def
Jolly Nature
-V-create
-Bolt Strike
-Brick Break
-U-turn

Well we all know what kind of menace this thing can be. A STAB V-create will harshly dent anything that doesnt resist it and will do major damage to anything that isn't immune to it if it has Drought support. More times than not Victini will either use V-create to punch holes in the opponent's team or U-turn to scout. Bolt Strike is there to hit bulky water types thinking it will switch in on a V-create just to get hammered by a super-effective move. Brick Break is there mostly for the likes of Heatran and Tyranitar. This set's purpose is basically to break walls down with (possibly) sun boosted V-creates for your team's sweeper to clean up late game.

Last edited:

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

I know kingdra has already been posted but not the specs set. This set is so simple but so deadly to ANY rain team without a ferrothorn. Literaly unless this thing gets a hydro miss late game some shit is going to die. Not many pokemon can pull off a set like this but I assure you this is all kingdra needs to fuck your team up.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Specs-dra definitely has its merits over LO Rain Dance. The boost to strength is definitely nice, as is the reduction in passive damage-- Kingdra's just bulky enough to find turns to attack, but with few resistances and exposure to every form of environmental passive damage, LO really does sap its strength. Finally, getting reliable + power on both its STAB is just a god-sent to Kingdra. So while it lacks freedom and can't disrupt weather, it still is a very nice wall breaker with offensive and defensive merits that absolutely wrecks enemy rain teams.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so a few updates.

The OP now has been updated with every post + pictures! This makes the format much neater and more user friendly.

@G-Von I like both of your suggestions, but could you please make a seperate post for each Pokemon, as it makes the OP much neater. After you've done this, I will put both of your posts in the OU. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

Suicune @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 248 SAtk / 228 Spd
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Suicune is an amazing Pokemon in previous generations, but right now it is kind of too weak to actually be taken seriously most of the time. As a bulky water it shines above others in the sense of its defenses, but it is lacking heavily in its offenses and healing ability. This makes it harder to sweep teams with Calm Mind or Wall them with ResTalk due to the Gen 5 mechanics. This set acts a a bit of a offensive team support which fits really well on a variety of teams, preferably offense. Suicune gets one unique move that puts it aside from the others, Tailwind. Tailwind allows you to double your speed and give you a huge advantage. Suicune is almost always bulky enough to get up a Tailwind, and if needed, can tank a stray Outrage, U-Turn, or Mach Punch. Basically, get this Suicune in on something that it can set up a Tailwind on. Heatran, Choice Locked Pokemon, even Keldeo can do. Then set up Tailwind and give even Suicune or another Pokemon on your team an advantage. A Life Orb Hydro Pump is nothing to laugh about, and you can definitely punish a ton of offensive Rain teams badly. This set works best with Choice Band Kyurem-B or Garchomp, as they both appreciate the speed boost and can basically guarantee a kill for the team under Tailwind support. Politoed is also a very cool partner as it can power up the Hydro Pumps Suicune fires off. An interesting set, and I do like it simply because it does showcase one of my favorite Pokemon, Suicune.

The Suicune is interesting, and I've acutally tested it before. You cant really sweep with it because it has too many checks that are too hard to remove. Latias, Kyrum, Celebi, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Politoad, etc can all take a hit and retaliate. Then you have Ninetales and all forms of hazzards to deal with The support it gave was nice, but Tailwind just doesnt last long enough.

Darmanitan@Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EV's: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn
-Superpower

I will just post this calc to show the true power of Darm:
252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra in sun: 116-136 (39.86 - 46.73%) -- 37.89% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This fucking wrecking ball cannot be switched into without expecting something to die. Darmanitan hits with extreme force in and out of sunlight and can either break walls or completely sweep teams. Thanks to Sheer Force, it gets a pseudo-LO boost and takes away the secondary effects of Fare Blitz and Rock Slide. Most of the time it will just spam Flare Blitz, but if Heatran is in play then it can use U-turn and bring in a counter to it. Rock Slide gets a boost and becomes nearly as strong as Stone Edge to help hit things like Gyarados and Dragonite pretty hard. Superpower is a very key move since it hits the likes of Terrakion, T-tar, and Heatran hard enough to regret switching into Darm. Unless you are using a rain team, you should be very worried when you see your opponent use a Darmanitan.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't know if this counts as a lower tier threat since it's BL, but...

Gothielle @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
-Psychic / Psyshock
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam
-Trick

Gothitelle is absolutely amazing. As a trapper, it is able to take out nearly anything depending on the set. Specs gives balanced teams trouble, capable of taking down walls, while the scarf set works well against offensive teams. Goth really puts pressure on the opponent when using fighting-type attacks, as Goth makes it very easy to take out Terrakion / Keldeo when they are choice locked in to Close Combat or Secret Sword, as well as Adamant Breloom (if specs) and Conkeldurr. Thunderbolt allows you to take out Skarm and bulky waters. The third attacking move is left to whatever your teams needs more help against: HP Fire for Ferro/Scizor/Forry, HP Ice for dragons, or Signal Beam for Celebi. Trick allows you to cripple walls that you can't take out, such as the pink blobs.

Honestly, I feel like Goth is one of the best pokemon in OU right now. It's very little risk for very high reward. Offensive teams and defensive teams alike appreciate Goth's ability to take out threats. Only real downside is it's susceptibility to pursuit trapping from TTar.

Abomasnow@ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 SpA / 84 Spe
Lonely nature
~ Wood Hammer
~ Ice Shard
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Protect / Earthquake

Our favorite Snowman got a very good potential in OU, in a metagame where a LOT of pokemon are weak to the Ice / Grass combo, ( Keldeo, Lati@s, Garchomp, Landorus-T, Salamence, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Rotom-W, Politoed, Tyranitar...) this pokémon got the ability to shine, he is also the only pokemon to have Snow warning. This set is for me the best one, it can revenge kill the dragon / ground previously named and do a ton of damage to any Grass-weak pokemon with his strong Wood Hammer. It's also one of the rares pokemons that can carry Hidden power Fire without risking to see his power drop with some Rainy weather, helping him destroying Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory and Scizor on the switch. The last move is up to you, Protect helps racking up some important Hail / Toxic damage to finish off a pokemon, and Earthquake is the best way to kill Heatran (and Tyranitar without having blood on our hands with Wood Hamer's recoil)
GAME FREAK GIVE HIM LEAF STORM FOR GOD'S SAKE

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm quite surprised this set hasn't been posted to be honest, since this Pokemon is in the OP. Oh well, here it is

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed

Tangrowth is ridiculously bulky on the physical side. Base 100 HP and base 125 def make this thing nearly impossible to break down on the physical side. It's one of the few counters to top physical power houses, like Banded Terrakion, Banded Tyranitar, and Dragon Dance Dragonite. Not even Skarmory can claim to counter these Pokemon. Tangrowth is no slouch offensively either, as it has a very respectable base 110 special attack, allowing it to not be set up bait for Sweepers. Tangrowth also has pretty reliable recovery in the form of Regenerator, so it's not like you can even wear Tangrowth down. The given EVs allow Tangrowth to tank just about any physical attack.

Sleep Powder offers great utility, as it basically makes one Pokemon useless for the rest of the game on your opponents side. Giga Drain is STAB, and hits pretty nicely on Water types like Politoed and Rotom-W. It also offers some recovery, which can be nice is some situations. HP Ice offers the best coverage for Tangrowth, as it hits Dragonite, Salamence, and Landorus-T, all threats that Tangrowth will be switching into. Leech Seed offers even more recovery, as well as forcing a lot of switches, racking up residual damage.

If you're looking for a physical defensive Grass type, this is your guy.

@Expert Belt/Life Orb
Nature: Naive
EVs: 12 Atk/ 244 SpA / 252 Speed
Ability: Cholloryphyll
-Hidden Power Ice
-Nature Power(Becomes Earthquake)
-Low Kick
-Leaf Storm

First things first, in order for this set to work, you must be using sun. Without sun, Shiftry is just a sitting duck. However with Sun up, it can outspeed all of OU unboosted, and many choice Scarf users.

With that in mind, under sun, Shiftry is a dangerous threat, and a capable team player as well. On simulators, Nature Power becomes Earthquake, which OHKOs most Heatran (Specially Defensive are OHKOed 12% of the time), and knocks at least 40% of all Jirachi. Low Kick is largely for Balloon Heatran and OHKOing Tyranitar, but it does 2HKO all on site Kyurem-B sets. Hidden Power Ice allows for revenge kills on Dragons, and Leaf Storm finishes off water types with ease. All Calcs assume Expert Belt. Life Orb can be used, but by and large, there isn't a notable increase 2HKOs or OHKOs. The given EVs allow more maximized Speed, and allow Shiftry to get KOs on Heatrans, Defensive Ninetails, and Low Kick to OHKO Tyranitar reliably, while not giving up any of the extreme power of Leaf Storm.

This set is great for taking down opposing weather inducers, as Shiftry can outspeed all non scarf Toad, non Scarf Tar and Hippowdon, while OHKOing Toad/Hipp with Leaf Storm, and Tyranitar with Low Kick. Incidentally, Scarf Politoad's Ice Beam fails to OHKO reliably (3.75% Chance), so you can take him down as well. It also functions well as a pseudo revenge killer under sun, or a good hit and run attacker over all.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of Shiftry, this is the set that I always love using on a sun team.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Naive Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Low Kick / Nature Power

Although the Mixed offensive set is good and all, I find it to be a bit underwhelming for me at times. Growth changes that however, by giving it a +2 boost to both its Attack and Special Attack while in the sun. The EV spread that SoulMuse posted above is a bit outdated, as it only needs to invest 180 speed EVs to outspeed Scarf Latios and Latias. With this set, Shiftry becomes a killing machine with its outstanding coverage and powerful STAB Grass and Dark-type moves to back it up. Although Shiftry faces huge competition from Sawsbuck, Shiftry's biggest niche is the ability to beat every variant of Latias out there without having to even to boost up to +2. That's very significant for a Chlorophyll sweeper, as Latias is one of the most common checks to Venusaur, Victreebel, and Sawsbuck. On top of that, it can even deal with other significant sun counters such as Tyranitar and Heatran. Giga Drain is Shiftry's most reliable STAB Grass move that demolishes anything weak to it at +2, while helping increase Shiftry's longevity. Dark Pulse is best used for Latias, Latios, and Gengar, and its Shiftry's most powerful move in its arsenal. Low Kick is specifically for Tyranitar, as it is KOed without any boosts, while also KOing Heatran and Ferrothorn at +2. Nature Power is very usable if you don't mind losing the ability to always KO Tyranitar and the ability to beat Balloon Heatran. On top of that, you can nab the KO on Jirachi, who can actually tank at least one Dark Pulse and threaten to paralyze it without it.

Because I wrote the OU analysis for Shiftry, I don't feel like a tool if I plagiarize my own teammate's section:

"Ninetales is obviously a required partner for Shiftry, or else there wouldn't be much of a reason to use it. Shiftry needs that permanent Sunny Day from Drought in order to make maximum use of Chlorophyll. Shiftry has amazing coverage, but there's always something out there that can wall it no matter what you choose for its fourth moveslot. Most of the time, Shiftry will have a problem breaking through Skarmory and Forretress if it's not at +2, so pairing it with a Fire-type like Heatran, Victini, or Infernape can help alleviate the problem. Infernape is a fantastic partner in general, as it can also break through Blissey and Chansey with Close Combat. Choice Scarf Chandelure might seem like an odd Pokemon to recommend as a partner, but it's actually pretty good. It's either immune or resistant to every form of priority that threatens Shiftry and can threaten Breloom, Scizor, Lucario, and Mamoswine with a OHKO from a STAB Fire Blast."

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
My pick is Venomoth. I've been using him with a custom EV spread, and he's been a great QuiverPasser, and Tinted Lens allows him to clean up in a pinch as well. I've been pairing him up with an Expert Belt Hydreigon (with Dragon Pulse/Dark Pulse/Surf/Flamethrower for wide super effective coverage), and it's been working quite well, because the opponent is a lot less likely to fire off choiced Fighting attacks against Venomoth, who 4x resists Fighting, making it a safer pass to Hydreigon.

The Venomoth set I've been using is the following:

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
EVs: 56 HP / 208 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Tinted Lens

- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz

Basically, this EV spread gives him just enough special defensive capability to stomach a Specs Politoed Hydro Pump after a Quiver Dance (or survive a Scarf Politoed Hydro Pump at +0 and set up while it hits you). Just for reference:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. +1 56 HP / 208 SpD Venomoth in rain: 249-294 (84.4 - 99.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is one of the most powerful special attacks in the tier, so with this EV spread, Venomoth can set up against a very wide selection of special attackers (getting at least 1 Quiver Dance), and proceed to pass his boosts to the receiver quite easily. Before I tried this Venomoth, I tried punching in several EV spreads to try and get more HP in to take physical hits a little better while keeping as much Speed as possible (while still retaining the condition that he be guaranteed to survive SpecsToed Hydro Pump in the rain). This was the best spread I came up with, and I find that even though it doesn't have 306 Speed to tie with other base 90s, it doesn't usually matter in the end, because it can usually outspeed everything after 2 Quiver Dances, which are surprisingly easy to get. I also haven't missed the extra physical defense from the higher HP in the analysis' suggested EV spread, because it was never going to be setting up very well on physical attacks anyway. The only physical attacks he's setting up on are choiced Fighting attacks, and that's only because of a 4x resist.

Another thing that makes Venomoth a great QuiverPasser is Sleep Powder. You have the chance to potentially screw over your opponent's only chance of stopping the pass, and maybe get even more Quiver Dances in the process.

One other thing is that Tinted Lens is much better than Wonder Skin. I've very rarely seen people try to phaze out Venomoth to get rid of the boosts, which is the main case in which Wonder Skin would be helpful. Quite frankly, most people just try to kill the thing before it can pass, which Wonder Skin is not going to help against. While Venomoth is not a sweeper, Tinted Lens is extremely helpful when it's inconvenient to pass, and you already have a few boosts. Things like Terrakion, Keldeo, and Landorus-T all get 2HKOed by a +1 Bug Buzz after Tinted Lens, but barely even get dented if you have Wonder Skin. Whereas, Wonder Skin is only really protecting you against phazing, which isn't even going to matter if they just phaze on the turn you pass, and isn't going to help if they just decide to try and kill Venomoth.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
My pick is Venomoth. I've been using him with a custom EV spread, and he's been a great QuiverPasser, and Tinted Lens allows him to clean up in a pinch as well. I've been pairing him up with an Expert Belt Hydreigon (with Dragon Pulse/Dark Pulse/Surf/Flamethrower for wide super effective coverage), and it's been working quite well, because the opponent is a lot less likely to fire off choiced Fighting attacks against Venomoth, who 4x resists Fighting, making it a safer pass to Hydreigon.

The Venomoth set I've been using is the following:

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
EVs: 56 HP / 208 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Tinted Lens

- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz

Basically, this EV spread gives him just enough special defensive capability to stomach a Specs Politoed Hydro Pump after a Quiver Dance (or survive a Scarf Politoed Hydro Pump at +0 and set up while it hits you). Just for reference:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. +1 56 HP / 208 SpD Venomoth in rain: 249-294 (84.4 - 99.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is one of the most powerful special attacks in the tier, so with this EV spread, Venomoth can set up against a very wide selection of special attackers (getting at least 1 Quiver Dance), and proceed to pass his boosts to the receiver quite easily. Before I tried this Venomoth, I tried punching in several EV spreads to try and get more HP in to take physical hits a little better while keeping as much Speed as possible (while still retaining the condition that he be guaranteed to survive SpecsToed Hydro Pump in the rain). This was the best spread I came up with, and I find that even though it doesn't have 306 Speed to tie with other base 90s, it doesn't usually matter in the end, because it can usually outspeed everything after 2 Quiver Dances, which are surprisingly easy to get. I also haven't missed the extra physical defense from the higher HP in the analysis' suggested EV spread, because it was never going to be setting up very well on physical attacks anyway. The only physical attacks he's setting up on are choiced Fighting attacks, and that's only because of a 4x resist.

Another thing that makes Venomoth a great QuiverPasser is Sleep Powder. You have the chance to potentially screw over your opponent's only chance of stopping the pass, and maybe get even more Quiver Dances in the process.

One other thing is that Tinted Lens is much better than Wonder Skin. I've very rarely seen people try to phaze out Venomoth to get rid of the boosts, which is the main case in which Wonder Skin would be helpful. Quite frankly, most people just try to kill the thing before it can pass, which Wonder Skin is not going to help against. While Venomoth is not a sweeper, Tinted Lens is extremely helpful when it's inconvenient to pass, and you already have a few boosts. Things like Terrakion, Keldeo, and Landorus-T all get 2HKOed by a +1 Bug Buzz after Tinted Lens, but barely even get dented if you have Wonder Skin. Whereas, Wonder Skin is only really protecting you against phazing, which isn't even going to matter if they just phaze on the turn you pass, and isn't going to help if they just decide to try and kill Venomoth.

Wow. Fantastic rate there Bologo. You go into such detail, and you give us a great lower tier threat. This is a great example of what posts in this thread should look like. I will add your set once I have access to a computer (I'm on my phone at the moment). Solid rate, and thank you for your contribution

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 248 Atk / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power/Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

While Venusaur is the #1 special Chlorophyll sweeper, Sawsbuck can be equally as dangerous on the physical side. After 1 Swords Dance under the sun, it reaches an unbelievable 654 attack and 526 speed. That pretty much means if you give it a free turn, you will be hurt - even the fastest common scarfer, a scarfed Lati will be outsped and OHKOed by Return. I personally prefer Jump Kick to Nature Power since it allows Sawsbuck to finish off a a weakened Skarmory and OHKO Ferrothorn at +2 after a bit of prior damage. All Sawsbuck needs to sweep is 3 things. The sun, priority users dead, and 1 free turn. Sawsbuck also doubles as a great utility for weather wars.

248+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 252-299 (65.62 - 77.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

248+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Jump Kick vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 478-567 (123.83 - 146.89%) -- guaranteed OHKO

248+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 187-221 (44.52 - 52.61%) -- 23.44% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You don't even need to wait for the weather war to be won to start sweeping with Sawsbuck. If one of the opposing weather starts comes in to cut Sawsbuck speed, they're still going to be outsped and taking massive damage. Don't underestimate Sawsbuck; it's no Venusaur, but it's no Sunflora either.
Use Adamant otherwise you are doing it wrong. No reason at all to use Jolly as even with Adamant you outspeed Timid max Speed Venusaur under sun, the fastest Pokemon that you could encounter. Also, Swords Dance is not a must at all.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Yeah, Wild Charge can actually be used in place of Swords Dance to help catch Skarmory on the switch. Especially since Sawsbuck finds it hard to set up a Swords Dance in the current meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)