ORAS OU Lord Snorlax is back (actually not) /ORAS OU\ Feed the Lax please <3

Hey guys :]​
I wanted to show you a team I created some time ago with which I had nice results.
Basically, I focused on my favorite 4G mon, Snorlax (damn he was too gud) and tried to build around him.
Sorry for my english as I'm not a native speaker :']

The purpose of the team is to eliminate the mons that either check or counter Snorlax.
I know for sure Snorlax is not a very good pokemon in OU these days, and there probably is a mon that can fulfill his job better in this team, but don't blame me for this, we all love Snorlax <3.

Team Building (aka "HOW TO EAT MY ENEMIES IM HUNGRY")

Started with Snorlax. Thanks to his impressive SpD, he can also tank special hits. I've decided to play the good old Curselax without Sleep Talk because, well, he has so many counters, I need coverage, my team can't do all for him.

Snorlax is frail when facing physical enemies. Also, he has a good burst but definitely not the best one in the metagame, so, some damages would help kill potential threats on switch. I choose Garchomp (Tank) because of his tankiness, and because of Stealth rock + Helmet + Rough Skin, because all these potential passive damages help ALOT Snorlax at taking kills on the switch. Good answer to Heatran too.

Azumarill comes here because at this point, sd + wow Talonflame is a huge threat. Also I needed something against Keldeo and Lati@s. She does holes through the enemy team which is nice for Snorlax. Overally fits well with my team and particularly well with Garchomp.

Next one is Clefable. How damn good is this thing. Azumarill isn't a consistent answer to the threat she checks, because she has zero recovery move. Clefable is one of my pivot with Scizor. It baits Ferrothorn too and OHKO it at +1.

I still had troubles with 3 mons : Gengar, Gardevoir, and Beedrill. Mega Scizor looked like a good answer to me, plus he is a very good pivot and defogger.

Last mon had to slow down enemy team and burst on the special side because my team is overally physical. Thundurus fits this role well because it does kill skarm which otherwise annoy me, and he is overally my best answer to physical walls. T-Wave helps Snorlax with his poor speed.

Lets go in-depth now !

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Crunch
- Return

He is so cute :D ! Well, actually, while he is not the best mon in his role, he is reliable and underestimated imho. He firstly acts as a stallbreaker and special tank then as a great win con. Curse boosts his mediocre defense and good attack. Rest for recovery and stallbreaking. I usually switch on strong special sweepers like mega manectric or thundurus and the stabbed Return does hurt on the switch, usually a physical sweeper that Azu/rocks hurt before. Straight forward EVs, I put everything in my fuckin special tankiness because after some curses, SpD would be my weak point instead of physical defense otherwise. Overally allows me to endure volturn cores moves. Return/Crunch for maximal coverage.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is such a strong mon ! Not much to say there tho, this set is classic. Tankchomp is very useful to me because of the huge portion of the metagame it checks and because of the residual damages. Thats why I have Stealth rocks, Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin. Earthquake for stab and coverage while Dragon Tail helps me against setup sweepers. Fire Blast is a bait for Ferrothorn and Scizor. Standard EVs from Smogon.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Bander Azu because it deals hard. Seriously, because my team forces many switches, I prefer raw power over maniability on Azumarill. Bander preferred over Belly Drum, because he is more consistent and more about direct damages which is what I needed. It checks many threats such as Keldeo or Lati@s, while being able to do unexpected damages on not bulky enough mons. EVs are standard, Play Rough and Waterfall for Coverage, Aqua Jet because of the Revenge kill power it gives. Superpower hits harder Skarmory on the Roost turn.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Clefable acts as a glue. As Azumarill has not enough staying power, Clefable counters the same threat that Azu. Clef is a second stallbreaker because otherwise stall is very good against me (Hi Conkeldurr). Classic CM Set because of the stallbreaking need. Moonblast is stabbed and Flamethrower hits hard Ferrothorn on the switch. I maybe should slash HP Ground as Heatran is a problem and is nearly uncovered.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 200 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Scizor acts as my main check against Fairies and does the Dragon/Steel/Fairy core with Chomp and Clefable. He removes rocks from the field, mainly for Thundurus who otherwise is too much hurt (LO + Rocks...). His tankiness along with his recovery move (Roost) make him a great pivot. He is a slow U-Turner which is just what I needed so that I can switch into Thundurus/Azumarill and gain momentum. Bullet Punch is classic move and removes (haha) Gengar, Diancie and Gardevoir from the field. Even with defensive EV, he still does fairly hard damage with Bullet Punch allowing him to act as a great revenge killer.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Here is the Thundurus. Actually, I could have put other mons here, but this one is great atm, because he forces many switches which is just what I love. (Even more with these rocks) The ability to T-Wave and then cripple fast enemies on switch is a really good thing as Snorlax is very slow and my team is not especially fast except of him. Standard EV, Life Orb for more damage on more enemies, T-Wave and Thunderbolt are self-explanatory, HP Ice for Lando/Garchomp/Gliscor, and Focus Blast for Heatran. I first used Psycho but actually, fighting types that threaten Snorlax don't come easily on Thundurus, so it was useless while Focus Blast is a great coverage move.

Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/EURFyirs

Well, now I want your help to improve this team :] I think this is good, but I'm totally sure there are some uncovered threats or some things I could have done better... I can't wait to read your advices ma friends :D !​

Last edited:
At first glance your team is verryy weak to cb azu so to fix this you might want to replace azu with amoonguss, it still checks keld and also checks thundy which is another problem (especially mixed) so just use standard av amoonguss.

Hey ma friend thanks for advice :]
I tried Amoonguss and, well, my team is rather slow-paced with him, though I had pretty the same results.
Thanks for advice tho :)

Any other thoughts ? :D

I will give your team a full rate later when I get to a computer. But real quick:

Have you thought about Heal Bell on Clef? You can rest your Snorlax and then later just Heal Bell him back if he switches out. You can increase Snorlax's longevity by an extreme amount. However, I don't really know how your team plays yet (I'll read and rate based off that later). I've only looked at their movesets so far. So, just a suggestion.

Hey my friend thanks for advice :-]
Heal bell would mean I lose coverage to Ferro or Heatran (depending on flamethrower or hp ground) but it definitely is good for Snorlax. Gonna try it !
I'm looking forward for your rate sure :D Thanks !

OK, here's my full rate. Sorry for the wait:

For Snorlax, I think it's worth switching Return to Body Slam. You get less power, however, you get the added benefit of Paralyzing your target, and a good chance at that as well. This Paralysis could really help Snorlax get crucial Attacks off by potentially outspeeding some things before you start Cursing up.

I have nothing to say about Garchomp, it works well as it is.

For Azumarill, this is just a suggestion, I don't know exactly how well it would work, but I would recommend Pixie Plate Sylveon. You shouldn't really be worried about Skarmory with Thundurus AND Fire Blast Garchomp, so I think this should be fine.

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass/Heal Bell
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

The Heal Bell/Baton Pass is for either to wake up Snorlax or to gain momentum by predicting a switch then Baton Passing to get a more favorable matchup.
Psyshock to deal with Venusaur because Venusaur seems like a problem to this team somewhat.

I think your Clefable and Mega Scizor sets look fine, though I still do like Heal Bell on this team. However, if you get use Sylveon, then you could use Heal Bell on it, though Baton Pass is the better move IMO.

Finally for Thundurus. Have you though about a mixed Thundurus set?

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Mixed Thundurus is one of the best Wallbreakers in OU right now. I happen to have one of these in Cartridge if you are looking for one. But the point is, I think your team will benefit more from a Mixed Thundurus. Mostly because Superpower is more reliable than Focus Blast and hitting Heatran is a top priority.

That's my rate. Please consider everything, even a just a little. I will look forward to your findings.

Hey :]
Thanks for rating !
I'm gonna try the changes you made to the team then I'll come back here :D
Thanks alot :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)